Phoenix Point - from the creator of the X-COM series in the 1990s

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lassr

Re: Phoenix Point - from the creator of the X-COM series in the 1990s

Post by Lassr »

TheMix wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:28 pm
NickAragua wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:38 pm How about these guys go sodomize themselves with a retractable baton, the game's already harder than a uranium brick.
:lol:

Preach!
I Second!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lassr wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:17 am Definitely play rookie level. I have not progressed off that level since I started playing. I think I could play the next level up but it's already a grind at rookie and you don't lose many of your leveled players. I love this mechanics of this game and love playing it to a point. It is a long grind, it still needs some work, but I get the feeling they keep making changes based on 'Very experienced" players and not casual players like me. It was very unplayable on rookie when it came out, my entire teams would get wiped out and I must have reloaded 50+ times my first game. Now I rarely do a reload at rookie, only if I lose a soldier I really didn't want to lose. But they lessened the effects of a lot of the level perks now because they were deemed too powerful.

As for add-ons, i have them all, and it adds nice variety to the enemies you face. I wouldn't say you need them your first play through. You'll have enough to digest.
You need to stop saying "grind" or I am never playing this game!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:18 am
Lassr wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:17 am Definitely play rookie level. I have not progressed off that level since I started playing. I think I could play the next level up but it's already a grind at rookie and you don't lose many of your leveled players. I love this mechanics of this game and love playing it to a point. It is a long grind, it still needs some work, but I get the feeling they keep making changes based on 'Very experienced" players and not casual players like me. It was very unplayable on rookie when it came out, my entire teams would get wiped out and I must have reloaded 50+ times my first game. Now I rarely do a reload at rookie, only if I lose a soldier I really didn't want to lose. But they lessened the effects of a lot of the level perks now because they were deemed too powerful.

As for add-ons, i have them all, and it adds nice variety to the enemies you face. I wouldn't say you need them your first play through. You'll have enough to digest.
You need to stop saying "grind" or I am never playing this game!
How about I say it really is a "long war." Don't want to traumatize you with a long grind. :P :D
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

After this last update I started a new game and was really impressed with the new Pandoran evolution system. It is a major change in the early game and really makes it easier to get up to speed with the gameplay. Also the reduction of the clutter on the map plus the removal of needing to manually scan removes what I considered unnecessary busy work. I might get the new update and start a new game tomorrow.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:51 pm After this last update I started a new game and was really impressed with the new Pandoran evolution system. It is a major change in the early game and really makes it easier to get up to speed with the gameplay. Also the reduction of the clutter on the map plus the removal of needing to manually scan removes what I considered unnecessary busy work. I might get the new update and start a new game tomorrow.
Yes, I agree, a lot of great improvements with the latest update. i just wished they had not messed with rage burst.

Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

In case anyone hasn't seen the info on the new DLC dropping tomorrow,
Phoenix Point's latest DLC, Legacy of the Ancients releases on August 26, 2020. It is the latest of the many updates we've made to Phoenix Point over the course of the year, and adds a ton of content, as well as plenty of improvements, to a game we're very proud of. The official description is below:

Legacy of the Ancients delves into the secrets of the Antediluvian Civilization that predated modern humans on Earth. Explore ancient ruins for precursor knowledge, and use it to unlock a whole new line of Phoenix Point weapons and technologies. But beware: the Ancients left powerful guardians to watch over their secrets; you won't be the only one seeking to control this ancient knowledge. New rivals will rise up as the legacy of the ancients is revealed to humanity.Includes:

NEW Story Missions and Cinematics
NEW Procedural Missions and Mission Types
NEW Enemies and Pandoran Evolutions
NEW Maps, Biomes, and Environments
NEW Points of Interest and Means of Exploration
NEW Resources and Ways of Obtaining Them
NEW Research and Technologies
NEW Weapons and Equipment

Legacy of the Ancients also comes with the free v1.7 "Necronomicon" patch, which includes many fixes, upgrades, and tweaks to key game systems.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The new update and the new DLC are both available for downloading now. I haven't been able to locate the patch notes for the update yet :cry:Patch notes are available in-game :roll:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

By the way, it would appear that you do need to check the box in-game to enable the DLC and to do this you'll have to start a new game.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

One issue I'm having in my latest play through, I have yet to have a Scylla in any of my battles. I've had no Citadels pop up. My Humans remaining meter is down to 25%. I'm kind of stuck. I've taken out like 10 nests and 3 lairs. Not sure what the issue is, am I supposed to let these infested sites go until they become citadels, that seems silly. I've researched much of the end game stuff.

I've also not had one attack on my bases the entire game.

EDIT: So I just got the Pandoran Palace mission without ever destroying a citadel. So maybe capture Scylla and destroy Citadel is not a main plot of the end game?

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

eh, without the old Rage Burst I can't do anything on the last mission. 2 Scylla's at the start and i can't kill them before they help wipe out most of my team. With the old rage burst i could target a body part and release rage burst by several soldiers and knock out their head and abdomen. Can't do that now. Man this game is so much fun until you get to the final mission.

Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Anyone getting the Phoenix Point: Year One Edition on Steam or other PC or Mac platforms? Well, you won't have to wait as long as you thought:
Dear Backer,

Good news! Phoenix Point: Year One Edition is coming to Steam and other PC and Mac platforms a week earlier than planned, on December 3, 2020. Why the move? There’s no reason to be coy about it — we moved to avoid the juggernaut that is Cyberpunk 2077.

Although the reasons are direct, the decision was difficult. We debated internally quite a bit as to whether we should move the game into 2021, to get as much distance from Cyberpunk as possible. We ultimately decided this would be unfair to you, the fans who have waited so long for Phoenix Point: Year One Edition to release on their platform of choice. We certainly understand why others have made the decision to delay their games in light of the Cyberpunk move, but we want you to be able to play ours as soon as possible, because we’re really proud of it.

This is a risky proposition for us. Believe it or not, a week of development time has a big effect on the quality of a release. The team has been working extremely hard, both on our latest “Arkham” Update, which just came out this week, and on the Year One Edition. Our goal is to exceed your expectations, and we believe we can do that — without crunching — even on this new timeline. Hopefully, you’ll agree that Year One Edition is the best version of Phoenix Point yet released and one of the best strategy games of the year.

We’re excited for you to play Phoenix Point: Year One Edition on December 3. If you haven’t yet, please don’t forget to wishlist us on Steam, or your platform of choice!

Best regards,

The Phoenix Point Team
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:53 pm Anyone getting the Phoenix Point: Year One Edition on Steam or other PC or Mac platforms? Well, you won't have to wait as long as you thought:
Dear Backer,

Good news! Phoenix Point: Year One Edition is coming to Steam and other PC and Mac platforms a week earlier than planned, on December 3, 2020. Why the move? There’s no reason to be coy about it — we moved to avoid the juggernaut that is Cyberpunk 2077.

Although the reasons are direct, the decision was difficult. We debated internally quite a bit as to whether we should move the game into 2021, to get as much distance from Cyberpunk as possible. We ultimately decided this would be unfair to you, the fans who have waited so long for Phoenix Point: Year One Edition to release on their platform of choice. We certainly understand why others have made the decision to delay their games in light of the Cyberpunk move, but we want you to be able to play ours as soon as possible, because we’re really proud of it.

This is a risky proposition for us. Believe it or not, a week of development time has a big effect on the quality of a release. The team has been working extremely hard, both on our latest “Arkham” Update, which just came out this week, and on the Year One Edition. Our goal is to exceed your expectations, and we believe we can do that — without crunching — even on this new timeline. Hopefully, you’ll agree that Year One Edition is the best version of Phoenix Point yet released and one of the best strategy games of the year.

We’re excited for you to play Phoenix Point: Year One Edition on December 3. If you haven’t yet, please don’t forget to wishlist us on Steam, or your platform of choice!

Best regards,

The Phoenix Point Team
I may buy it on Steam just to have easier access to MODs. MODs make this game more enjoyable. Love this game UNTIL the final mission, there are MODs out there that help but it's a pain keeping up with updating the mods after game updates and having to do it with a launcher that incorporates the MODs. That's one thing I hope EPIC incorporates in the future; mod support.

Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm trying this on Game Pass. Since I skipped the tutorial I have a few questions.

How do you use mounted weapons? Specifically I have a tech. How do I use his healing arms?

How do you pick up the inventory left on the map (with the little inventory symbol?)
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Available now on Steam 50% off.

Black Lives Matter
RMC

Post by RMC »

I am supposed to have a key for Steam since I was an early buy in to the game... Will have to go out to the site and check for a key...
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
RMC

Post by RMC »

And I kid you not, went and looked and just got the email with my Steam key. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

So since XCOm 2 was my favorite game for the last 5 years or so....how does Phoenix point compare?

Is the game playable? I've followed this thread for a bit and i've seen some of you hit either bugs or really jacked up and impossible missions.

I see its on sale and am very tempted to get it. Lassr et al. what say you?
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I assume playable. I played it way back before a lot of the changes/nerfs. I know that the most recent person playing it struggled with the final mission.

Other than that, I think with Steam it's moddable. And that is probably the most important thing. I have confidence that modders will quickly help offset any major playability issues.

I'm very tempted. Except it hasn't been that long since I played it.... And I have a ton of backlog games that I've yet to play....

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Just got my steam key so if anyone has any current impressions or tips on playing to share I’ll be quite grateful (in a non monetary emotional way)! :pop:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Sadly, I'm pretty sure my experiences with it are now 99% irrelevant/outdated due to all the changes.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I'm still waiting for the rest of the five expansions to come out. I had a pretty decent time with it when it first came out, but then I must have left the "early game" because my guys suddenly started getting killed off by crab-dudes left and right, at which point I kind of got bored and moved on to some other game.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Newcastle wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:17 pm So since XCOm 2 was my favorite game for the last 5 years or so....how does Phoenix point compare?

Is the game playable? I've followed this thread for a bit and i've seen some of you hit either bugs or really jacked up and impossible missions.

I see its on sale and am very tempted to get it. Lassr et al. what say you?

It is very playable now. I really love this game except the final mission. MODs made it even better and that is the whole reason I bought it again on STEAM so I can easily MOD it.
The aim system in this game is great and hope the next XCOM incorporates it. I've played this game about 10 time and only ever completed it twice (both time with MODs) on easy simply because the final mission is TOUGH. MODs that let you bring more soldiers helped me but modding EPIC was a pain because you had to get a launcher and redo it every time they updated the game. I LOVE this game almost as much as XCOM2 and they are constantly updating it. With STEAM workshop I think it will be even more enjoyable with the easy modding.

Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I played it when it first came out. Never ran into any bugs and was enjoying it, but the difficulty level became too much for me so I shelved it.
Kind of been waiting for them to finish scrubbing it and finishing the DLC before I jump back in.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

stimpy wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:40 pm I played it when it first came out. Never ran into any bugs and was enjoying it, but the difficulty level became too much for me so I shelved it.
Kind of been waiting for them to finish scrubbing it and finishing the DLC before I jump back in.
they fixed the difficulty, easy is actually easy now...until the final mission. I too played it when it first came out and gave up for a while because it was ridiculously hard.

Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Thanks all for the response. I like what i hear. Also like they are actively upgrading it..bonus points! Will purchase it! So if its a stinker...i blame y.....me :D

Looking forward to it when I have time.
Bayraktar!!!!

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Hmm, FAQ says they are still considering whether to add workshop ability on STEAM so you still can't MOD it on STEAM yet. I may get a refund and wait since I can play the unmodded game already on EPIC. But not sure when the next 50% off sale would be if I did decide to repurchase. Decisions, decisions.

Black Lives Matter
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I'm not a YouTuber by any means, but I started a Let's Play of Phoenix Point: Year One with my friends as the soldiers.

Friends In Arms
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

So i am not far in the game and have been flying in my area with 1 manticore, uncovering little ? and exploring them. 3 bases, but 1 homebase operational; other 2 are simply there, though am building the radar up in both. I am facing a serious supplies shortage of armor, weapons, and ammo. I have queued up the building of a manticore thats going to hog the build queue for a while [10 days]. The supplies are acute and annoying because i have enough soldiers to have an A squad and B squad. however, I have to undress and unarm all of one squad and manually hand over the equipment to the second squad. Annoying to have to do that every single "mission". So in my great wisdom am thinking of pausing manitcore 2, and instead focusing on arming and gearing up a second squad. I have some of the required base materials [tech and the hexagon "material" i think] but not all. But that should be forthcoming with some research soon.

Any tips or guides you can point me to? I have found the guide on steam for Xcom players, found something on Rock/paper/Shotgun.

Should i piss off one faction to gain faction points w/ another? This one faction keeps on asking me to raid another faction. Did it once, now they are asking me to do it again.

Base management? What should I focus on? Should I focus on building the radars to create more of the ?s
Bayraktar!!!!

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Dang. Those are some loaded questions. Unfortunately, it's been too long since I played. So I'm not sure how to answer any of them.

I would say:
- agree with pausing the second vehicle in order to arm more soldiers (not just for a second squad, but in case you have to fill in for wounded soldiers)
- yes for more radars (I don't recall specifics, but I think they'll help you beyond just making more ?s visible)
- it may be worth allying against one faction
- it'll net you gear
- be aware that each faction will offer you special units and gear as your rep increases (so you may want to look them over before making the decision; wiki is probably the best bet)

Maybe start http://wiki.phoenixpoint.com/Getting_Started]here.

Check out the various "tips" articles. As you mentioned, Rock, Paper, Shotgun has a bunch. PC Gamer has another basic tip article. And there are probably a number of others. The tip articles are nice since they likely won't have an spoilers.

I'm betting there are a lot of videos on YouTube that will help you with the early game, but I don't have specifics.

Black Lives Matter

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

TheMix wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:01 pm Maybe start here.
Fixed your link :wink:. That's a darn nice page for beginners, wish I'd had that when I started 8-)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:17 pm
Fixed your link :wink:. That's a darn nice page for beginners, wish I'd had that when I started 8-)
Thanks. Normally I double check either with Preview or immediately after posting. But work has been annoyingly distracting this morning. :cry:

Black Lives Matter

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

TheMix wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:32 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:17 pm
Thanks. Normally I double check either with Preview or immediately after posting. But work has been annoyingly distracting this morning. :cry:
You've got to get your priorities straight! :lol:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Phoenix Point Roadmap for 2021 - DLC, Console Release and More!
Attention Phoenix Operatives! We know you’ve been awaiting news about what’s next with Phoenix Point, and we’re excited to be able to share some details! Here’s what we have planned for Phoenix Point for the rest of 2021:

Sorry, don't seem to be able to embed the image Ah, just had to clip the page to the OneNote Web Clipper :D
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Nice, so you're saying I can play this sometime next year then. :D

Edit: I'm genuinely looking forward to these expansions and accompanying patches - as I've paid for them all when I figstarted it.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

NickAragua wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:28 pm Nice, so you're saying I can play this sometime next year then. :D
I'm kind of feeling the same way. I did play a lot of the game early on, but I'm now waiting for the final DLC to drop to got through it once again.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Forgot all about this game. Where's my summary to tell me if the game is worth getting back to. I won't be getting any expansions unless they made the core game more to my liking.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

lol, I'll let you know next year. I'm guessing they've done a ton of balance and mechanics changes. I probably won't recognize the game when I get back into it.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:35 am Forgot all about this game. Where's my summary to tell me if the game is worth getting back to. I won't be getting any expansions unless they made the core game more to my liking.
So I *finally* picked up the Year One edition in the steam sale for $25. I decided to play on newbie difficulty so I could learn how it works and I am kind of regretting the decision. I don't really know how far into it I am but it has been going on for a while (I have one soldier that is 6th level, most are 5th level) and it has been almost comically easy. I only have 6 soldiers but haven't really needed any more, but since I don't know the flow I don't know how much I am screwing myself there. I can absolutely see how the tactical combat could be very good if it weren't this easy. The strategic layer is interesting but I don't really get most of it and so far haven't needed to. No bugs or anything really annoying. *shrug* I will finish this run and see what I learn and maybe try one on the default difficulty and see if it is more satisfying.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:43 am
LordMortis wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:35 am Forgot all about this game. Where's my summary to tell me if the game is worth getting back to. I won't be getting any expansions unless they made the core game more to my liking.
So I *finally* picked up the Year One edition in the steam sale for $25. I decided to play on newbie difficulty so I could learn how it works and I am kind of regretting the decision. I don't really know how far into it I am but it has been going on for a while (I have one soldier that is 6th level, most are 5th level) and it has been almost comically easy. I only have 6 soldiers but haven't really needed any more, but since I don't know the flow I don't know how much I am screwing myself there. I can absolutely see how the tactical combat could be very good if it weren't this easy. The strategic layer is interesting but I don't really get most of it and so far haven't needed to. No bugs or anything really annoying. *shrug* I will finish this run and see what I learn and maybe try one on the default difficulty and see if it is more satisfying.
That is one of it's issues, I played on Newbie several times and can get to the end game with 1 or 2 deaths but the end game is comically hard. I have played this game about 10 times and only got through the end scenario once, back when the game came out, but they've changed so much since then I can no longer finish the game. It may be my play style because you see some people have finished it but the majority of the people I've read just hate the ending. I love this game...until the final mission.

Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I never played it to completion, but I really liked the tactical gameplay. I wish there was some mode of endless gameplay where I just would go out on missions without worrying too much about the strategic layer.