[Skepticism] NFL 2020 Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

coopasonic

Re: [Skepticism] NFL 2020 Season

Post by coopasonic »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:58 pm
Jaymann wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:49 pm
gameoverman wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:34 pm The writing has, for a long time, been on the wall regarding Washington's team name being changed. The fact the owner didn't already have the new name ready to go tells me this current Football Team name is a deliberate gesture of spite. The owner is just dragging it out to show displeasure at being forced to change it. I think the name will stay as it is for as long as the league allows.
That's some astute analysis. I kind of felt that intuitively, but that solidifies it.
I guess my question is whether the NFL will ultimately force it or not. Seems like there's a nonzero chance that they wind up sticking with WFT out of some mix of owner obstinacy and inertia, but is that like a 10% chance? 30% chance?
Many (most?) pro football soccer clubs are similarly named. I was amused when my wife had no idea what the FC in FC Dallas stood for.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:05 pm
gameoverman wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:34 pm The writing has, for a long time, been on the wall regarding Washington's team name being changed. The fact the owner didn't already have the new name ready to go tells me this current Football Team name is a deliberate gesture of spite. The owner is just dragging it out to show displeasure at being forced to change it. I think the name will stay as it is for as long as the league allows.
That's some astute analysis. I kind of felt that intuitively, but that solidifies it.
I guess my question is whether the NFL will ultimately force it or not. Seems like there's a nonzero chance that they wind up sticking with WFT out of some mix of owner obstinacy and inertia, but is that like a 10% chance? 30% chance?
Many (most?) pro football soccer clubs are similarly named. I was amused when my wife had no idea what the FC in FC Dallas stood for.
I know, but (American) football teams don't use those names, plus even in soccer the "FC" is usually not spelled out. If they wanted to go by "Washington FT" that would be a little better, at least.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The new team president, Jason Wright, says that making the name permanently Washington Football Team or Washington Football Club has a real chance of happening.
Some in the Native American community did not like this as a placeholder, believing it kept Washington from fully moving on from its previous name. Regardless, it's a possible long-term answer. Wright said he has heard from fans who hope this is the winner.

"It's definitely in the running," Wright said. "I don't think anything is off the table. ... With this one, people are excited about the idea of a club has an identity rooted solely in the area it represents. Maybe it's Football Team or it's Football Club. We need to get underneath the why, so no matter what direction we go, we can pull on the heartstrings of folks."
Personally, I would expect it to either stay as it is (WFT or WFC), or be the Washington Red Wolves (however they decide to style it) by the time this is over.
Hodor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Washington Swamp Things is still my favorite.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The best thing to happen to the Chargers in the last 5 years was when the Dolphins took Tua ahead of them forcing them to take Herbert. Herbert is in the stratosphere for rookie quarterbacks, while Tua has been benched and injured.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:53 pm The best thing to happen to the Chargers in the last 5 years was when the Dolphins took Tua ahead of them forcing them to take Herbert. Herbert is in the stratosphere for rookie quarterbacks, while Tua has been benched and injured.
But how do you know that if drafting was reversed and the Chargers took Tua with the Dolphins taking Herbert that this would be worse for the Chargers? Maybe Tua would be having the great success with the Chargers while Herbert would be benched and injured with the Dolphins.

Either way, how many draft picks do the Chargers want from the Bears for their backup QB?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:57 pm
Jaymann wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:53 pm The best thing to happen to the Chargers in the last 5 years was when the Dolphins took Tua ahead of them forcing them to take Herbert. Herbert is in the stratosphere for rookie quarterbacks, while Tua has been benched and injured.
But how do you know that if drafting was reversed and the Chargers took Tua with the Dolphins taking Herbert that this would be worse for the Chargers? Maybe Tua would be having the great success with the Chargers while Herbert would be benched and injured with the Dolphins.

Either way, how many draft picks do the Chargers want from the Bears for their backup QB?
At least 3. If you throw in Trubisky it would take 8.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

If Rivers were still in SD/LA, we'd never see Herbert right? Herbert hasn't been hurt but that doesn't necessarily make him better than Tua. And they are both rookies, who knows what they will look like in three years and that's really what's important.

In other news, I'm surprised Anthony Lynn is still a head coach there. I like the guy, and maybe ownership wants to let him work out the kinks, but there are a lot of kinks.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I remember the days when rookie QBs wouldn't get a whiff of playing time unless the team was eliminated from contention and even then it was pretty much garbage time. Now it seems all top QB picks are pressed into service right away, and many of them never successfully make the transition from amateur because of lack of guidance.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lorini wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:51 pm
If Rivers were still in SD/LA, we'd never see Herbert right? Herbert hasn't been hurt but that doesn't necessarily make him better than Tua. And they are both rookies, who knows what they will look like in three years and that's really what's important.

In other news, I'm surprised Anthony Lynn is still a head coach there. I like the guy, and maybe ownership wants to let him work out the kinks, but there are a lot of kinks.
Yeah, I suppose Rivers leaving for the Colts was the second best thing that happened. ;) I wanted so much for Lynn to be successful in LA, but it appears the writing is on the wall, and frankly, Herbert deserves better.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler:
"Why not us? But again we're sitting at 8-3 & 8 wins doesn't win you the division unless you're in the NFC east..." 😂😂😂

@JoshAllenQB
on the #Bills leading the #AFCEast #BillsMafia #PatMcAfeeShowLIVE
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I appreciate the Raiders for keeping the Jets winless, but did it really have to be a nailbiter?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Never a good sign when the studio crew’s reaction is, “I just have to ask...did the Jets draw up that defense to intentionally lose?” :lol:

Also, Baker Mayfield’s wife looks like she’s made out of plastic.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:08 pm I remember the days when rookie QBs wouldn't get a whiff of playing time unless the team was eliminated from contention and even then it was pretty much garbage time. Now it seems all top QB picks are pressed into service right away, and many of them never successfully make the transition from amateur because of lack of guidance.
When was this? I think you're misremembering. It's always been a mix, and high profile draft picks have usually been pressed into service sooner than later.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Oh, Carson Wentz . . .

That's all.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:20 pm Also, Baker Mayfield’s wife looks like she’s made out of plastic.
Well she was a plastic surgery patient coordinator....
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Ænima wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:49 pm
Jeff V wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:08 pm I remember the days when rookie QBs wouldn't get a whiff of playing time unless the team was eliminated from contention and even then it was pretty much garbage time. Now it seems all top QB picks are pressed into service right away, and many of them never successfully make the transition from amateur because of lack of guidance.
When was this? I think you're misremembering. It's always been a mix, and high profile draft picks have usually been pressed into service sooner than later.
Before free agency was a thing I remember that starting QBs were stuck with whatever team had them. Good QBs like Archie Manning played for losing teams because of this. This also meant that teams were in no hurry to get rookie QBs in the game. You could develop them until you were ready to dump your older and more banged up starter. The exceptions were teams that were so screwed up that they didn't even have an average quality starting QB available. Random example, the Jets pressing first round draft pick Richard Todd into service after moving on from Joe Namath.

The following year two QBs were taken in the first round. One was meant to replace Jim Hart on the Cardinals and one was to replace Fran Tarkenton on the Vikings. The new Cardinals rookie started only four games in his first two seasons, the Vikings rookie started one game in those first two seasons. Why? Jim Hart and Fran Tarkenton were still playing during those years.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

ugg, Seahawks scored so low, the announcer called them the Mariners. For those of you who didn't watch, at the end of the first half, they had 5 points.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jaymon wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:57 am ugg, Seahawks scored so low, the announcer called them the Mariners. For those of you who didn't watch, at the end of the first half, they had 5 points.
And they were actually winning the game at that point!
Hodor.
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

gameoverman wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:28 am
Ænima wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:49 pm
Before free agency was a thing I remember that starting QBs were stuck with whatever team had them. Good QBs like Archie Manning played for losing teams because of this. This also meant that teams were in no hurry to get rookie QBs in the game. You could develop them until you were ready to dump your older and more banged up starter. The exceptions were teams that were so screwed up that they didn't even have an average quality starting QB available. Random example, the Jets pressing first round draft pick Richard Todd into service after moving on from Joe Namath.

The following year two QBs were taken in the first round. One was meant to replace Jim Hart on the Cardinals and one was to replace Fran Tarkenton on the Vikings. The new Cardinals rookie started only four games in his first two seasons, the Vikings rookie started one game in those first two seasons. Why? Jim Hart and Fran Tarkenton were still playing during those years.
Sorry, I misspoke. I shouldn’t have said “always”, but in my 35 years of paying attention to football, this has been the case.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

AHHHHHHHHHH the WFT did it!
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Sweet! No undefeated season for chu!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

So, uh, is the NFC East the best division in football now?
Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

ok ok ok, so make sure I got this straight. clock running down, no time outs left, barely enough time to get the kicking team out there. A situation which happens literally dozens of times per season. But Washington bamboozles the refs by carrying the ball off the field, thus allowing enough time to get the team onto the field while the refs are looking for the ball?

Maybe it is not currently illegal, but it sure smells like a quick rule change is coming up for this.

Remember those 2 glorious weeks when you could jump over the center in order to block a field goal? Pepperidge farm remembers.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymon wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:08 pm ok ok ok, so make sure I got this straight. clock running down, no time outs left, barely enough time to get the kicking team out there. A situation which happens literally dozens of times per season. But Washington bamboozles the refs by carrying the ball off the field, thus allowing enough time to get the team onto the field while the refs are looking for the ball?
That play was not in the highlights, link?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Smith was sacked and ran off the filed with the ball. The refs said they needed to get a K ball and added time to the clock. Suddenly there is time for a kick.

Sneaky, but brilliant.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

McNutt wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:33 pm Smith was sacked and ran off the filed with the ball. The refs said they needed to get a K ball and added time to the clock. Suddenly there is time for a kick.

Sneaky, but brilliant.
Would a delay penalty have put them out of FG range?

I found a video that explained it, but without highlights.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:34 pm So, uh, is the NFC East the best division in football now? Image
I'm a believer in intangibles over stats. If, and that's a big if, the Giants or Football Team finish the season red hot then I would not be surprised to see one of them in the Super Bowl regardless of their regular season record. That sort of craziness is why I like watching pro football. I really doubt anything like that will happen but you never know until the games are actually played.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

McNutt wrote:Smith was sacked and ran off the filed with the ball. The refs said they needed to get a K ball and added time to the clock. Suddenly there is time for a kick.

Sneaky, but brilliant.
Alex Smith running off the field with the ball had nothing to do with the delay. They don’t kick with that ball anyway, why they couldn’t find a K ball, I have no idea, but they idea that they stopped the clock for like 20 seconds to allow the WFT to get lined up is ridiculous. I would be livid if I was a Steelers fan, but losing Devin Bush’s backup was probably a bigger problem for them.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The explanation I saw was that because time was running out, had Smith handed the ball to the ref, they would have made Washington kick with that regular ball. The refs screwed up by not having a kicking ball ready to go, but Smith exploited the error.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

This just in: The Bills are for real.

And the Giants are exposed.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I assume that ImLawBoy and Jeff V will be in here shortly to apologize to future Hall of Famer Mitchell Trubisky.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

After 27 seasons, Philip Rivers finally beats the Raiders. #HoFBound.

And Jalen puts the Hurts on the Saints.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Solo first place for the WFT! Woooooooooo.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:55 am After 27 seasons, Philip Rivers finally beats the Raiders. #HoFBound.
Whaaaaaat?!
Quarterback Philip Rivers has played against the Raiders 28 times in his NFL career, but you certainly wouldn’t call them friendly rivals.

The 39-year-old Rivers had an 18-10 record against the Silver and Black as a member of the San Diego/Los Angeles Chargers and is facing them for the first time with his new team, the Indianapolis Colts, on Sunday at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas.
Rivers not only has the most wins against the Raiders than any other quarterback but has thrown for 7,103 yards and 47 touchdown passes against the Silver and Black.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:43 am I assume that ImLawBoy and Jeff V will be in here shortly to apologize to future Hall of Famer Mitchell Trubisky.
I've long maintained that it was a savvy move to trade draft picks to move up one spot to ensure that they could pick Trubisky and wouldn't get stuck having to pick Mahomes or Watson.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:01 pm Solo first place for the WFT! Woooooooooo.
And the possibility of avoiding a losing season.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:55 am After 27 seasons, Philip Rivers finally beats the Raiders. #HoFBound.

And Jalen puts the Hurts on the Saints.
Yeah I'm sure he was driven by his hate for the Raiders, they caused Raider-Charger home games to be Raider-Raider home games, there were rarely any Charger fans in the stands in San Diego for those games (in LA in the Before Times there weren't Charger fans in the stands anyway) so Rivers felt the Chargers were deprived of a home game.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

pr0ner wrote:Solo first place for the WFT! Woooooooooo.
You're welcome

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"