Legends of Runeterra

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lorini

Legends of Runeterra

Post by Lorini »

Gonna re-post the Something Awful OP I did this AM. The open beta starts at 11AM PST.

Legends of Runeterra is the new digital Collectible Card Game (CCG) from Riot Games, makers of League of Legends. This post is basically a placeholder until the community can fill it up with suggested videos, pointers to meta discussions, and other places of interest on the internet. It especially needs a real thread title :v:

In the meantime here are some links that I found to be helpful:

https://playruneterra.com/en-us/ Main page
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TezYh0Hg0D0Great guide to how to play the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_xeAB2gepo#t=1s Best way to get cards (note, importing a deck through a code doesn't seem to work at the moment, you'll need to build the decks from scratch).
https://mobalytics.gg/blog/hearthstone- ... runeterra/ Says Hearthstone guide but really it's good for anyone who is familiar with digital CCG's.
https://www.pcgamer.com/Legends-of-rune ... s-economy/ Guide to the Runeterra economy, highly recommended before you start spending.

A little about me: I have the oldest known DC number for Magic the Gathering (11) and I was the first judge outside of WotC so I've been in this space for a bit although I no longer play MtG. I've been a Hearthstone player since 2013, highest rank is 9 mainly because I'm a casual player and don't care enough to 'git gud'. I've looked at some of the other digital CCG's out there but none seemed that good and/or had a great chance to have a large player pool.

Runeterra on the other hand will have a large number of at least potential players and the commitment of Riot Games. Brian Kibler (the famous MtG/Hearthstone player and streamer) said on stream that he had friends who have been working on this game for 10 years.

What I really like about the game is that the game is fast. I love the lack of summoning sickness and the fact that you can cast minions nearly anytime throughout play. That is so cool. I also like the MtG like spell play, that's so much more dynamic than HS, noting that not all spells (burst) can be responded to. I think (but this could simply be lack of familiarity) the is way more thinky than HS, but probably not as deep as MtG.

The graphics are nice, the animations are fine, the voicing is poor (imo of course).
Black Lives Matter
donaldmcdonald

Re: Legends of Runeterra

Post by donaldmcdonald »

My day on experience was pretty boarding and my day two experienced is unacceptable.

That is because Ive advance to the point were Ive enough cards to seriously tweek my deck but not really put together an entirely new deck and now Im basically playing an evolved starter deck against full-on meta decks in every other Q. It's not just that Im loosing, it's the fact that you basically know every card in opposing deck by induction by turn 3, and are getting horrible missmatches that result in a turn 5 surrender every other game. Is this something I really want to grind through after having already set myself back with some impulse picks?

There are a host of other issues mostly stemming from lack of depth, and the small pool of cards and Im sure these will mostly be smoothed out as more cards are introduced and game is refined, but in it's current state the grind simple isnt fun. It's a choir that ebbs from frustrating and futile to just plain dull, and Im personally not willing to grind another 2 or 3 afterwork hours for the rest of the week just to get my foot into a game that might get good.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

wonderpug reminded me this exists. I've played the tutorial and about a dozen AI matches. I like it, but it's just another spin on MTG-lite. Which isn't a bad thing; no one seems to have gotten it quite right yet. I haven't played some of these titles in a while, but the hierarchy as I remember it in terms of complexity and "trueness" to MTG is as follows: MTGA > Hex > Eternal > TES: Legends > Heathstone. There are probably also a couple I'm forgetting. And I'm not counting the many games which diverge heavily from the MTG model. (Or MTGO, which is MTG itself.)

I think Runeterra ranks to one side of TES: Legends. It does a fair bit to differentiate itself (as does TES: Legends, with its two lanes), perhaps most notably with regard to its payment/unlocks model. If you want a quicker game pace and you don't want to have to pay for virtual packs, Runeterra may be the way to go. I think you lose out on the CCG pack-busting "rush", but you can't have it both ways, and that was always exploitative to begin with. You still do plenty of capsule/chest opening which is kind of the same thing. But it appears the only thing that stands between you and a complete card set is lot of gameplay (that one might or might not think of as grinding), and it looks like you could still rush things along by buying wildcards if you really wanted to. I think I still prefer Eternal overall, as it finds a good balance between the traditional experience and consumer friendliness, but it's definitely a much slower game. I might recommend Eternal if you want a modernized MTG that doesn't rip you off, and Runeterra if you prefer a faster-paced variant and want to have the option of being completely F2P. But these are just random musings, I haven't played a single PvP match yet and don't think I've touched any of these other titles in over a year.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I've discovered the interface, while pretty, leaves something to be desired. Escape doesn't do what I expect it to, and rarely does anything at all. I have to go looking for the "x" or toggle. As well, the deck building interface just isn't intuitive. Clicking doesn't always do what I want it to. I know I'll figure it out in time, but I could honestly use a tutorial just for this. Deck building is the true barrier to entry in games like these. Especially since you can't import meta decks off the bat. (I.e., you can import them, but you won't have the cards.)

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm continuing to really enjoy this. They definitely seem to have found a balance between the more traditional MTG-like games and the quicker simplifications that make good use of the digital play space. Their take on draft is quite interesting, with each entry buying two runs, and you get the reward for the better of the two. You pick curated bundles of two or three cards instead of individual ones, and get additional options after each match. (At least, the initial ones... I haven't gotten too far yet.)

If I have a gripe, it's that it still kind of sucks to be a new player with a very limited card pool, even if I'm gaining new cards quickly. You just can't build most of the interesting or powerful decks at first, and it can get kind of boring grinding it out with what you have. That said, I threw together a mediocre deck of what I had in Demacia/Freljord and stomped my way through the first ranked tier. I wasn't tracking initially, but I've probably gone something like 20-5, which surprised me. It's still a much better experience than when I joined late-beta MTGA and it felt like I was playing with a couple mediocre red and green decks for weeks.

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Sudy wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:29 pm If I have a gripe, it's that it still kind of sucks to be a new player with a very limited card pool, even if I'm gaining new cards quickly.
A lot of times the Lab mode helps address this. They often offer (or force) pre-built decks for this mode, so you can play with a bunch of cards you don't yet own. The next expansion might be arriving as early as Dec 15th, and when new cards arrive they usually have a Lab with prebuilts to showcase the new cards and game mechanics.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I've continued to play this daily and continue to have a really good time with it; even Labs, which I wasn't expecting after Hearthstone's Tavern Brawls used to be a waste of time. I won my first ever Gauntlet, which was cool. Expeditions continue to be fun, but I don't find myself quite as into them as draft in other games due to their length and what feels like underwhelming rewards. I'm also frustrated with the "let's draft an actual good deck vs. let's experiment" conundrum, but that isn't unique to Runeterra. And I guess the two-run format gives you extra excuse to dink around on the first draft if you want.

I'd been having decent success in Ranked between cheap-ass Elise Burn and Garren Elites decks and before/after the reset I was probably winning close to 70% of my games in Iron and Bronze. However, I built some additional ultra-budget decks from here, and now all of a sudden I can't win, even with the old decks. I've probably gone 5-15 the past couple of days, it's a bit demoralizing. I seem to get run over by Go Hard every frigging game. That or The Grand Plaza eats me alive. (But I'm running one of those decks too.) But, it's a CCG. Variance happens. Or maybe the meta's just shifted.

I've spent $0 on the game so far, but have been thinking about getting a set of cosmetics. Having missed no quests and completed my bonus XP games almost every day now for almost a month, it looks like I have 48, 23, and 22% respectively of each of the first three sets. I have five varied and seemingly decent budget decks to play. And I still have 5 champion wildcards I haven't decided what to do with. I could have crafted at least one top-tier meta deck rather than making additional budget ones, but variety seems more enticing at this point. I can probably still craft one of the ones that uses some of the champions I already have.

This continues to be a really good F2P experience, but one month in I'm still a long way from having a lot of the champions and epic cards I'd like to experiment with. It seems like the complete opposite end of the spectrum in terms of business models. I think I'd like something more balanced, like Eternal (though I haven't looked at their store in a while). I'd like to pay a small, reasonable amount for some packs and tickets. Maybe a pass/subscription type deal. The cosmetics model seems to work for them somehow; I think that's a real positive for them as a studio, and as a way to continue provide work to artists. But frigging $14 CAD for a board is too rich for my blood... at least outside of tax refund time and a wish to support the game. For that amount of money I want something related to gameplay, even though my mind tries to remind me I'm already getting that for free. Wouldn't they make far more if boards were $5? But, I guess they've crunched the numbers and found the balance that works.

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Thanks for the update, especially regarding the F2P experience. I need to get back into it.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Dang! I got the usual champion wildcard from my level 11 (I think?) weekly vault this week, but I also got a Zoe and Miss Fortune! I think that's the first time I've gotten any champion upgrades from the weekly chests. That definitely helps me feel like I'm making good progress.

I thought I was going to win the first run of Gauntlet again last weekend, but I think I lost on the final game. It was funny though, because everyone kept banning my Elise Fearsome Burn deck, but then I'd stomp them with my non-meta Garen Elites Midrange one. Elites isn't particularly nuanced, but it's still very satisfying to boost and play big things.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Finally got my first 7-win Expedition. No losses, to boot. It was 2x Soraka, Yasuo, Zed deck, but Soraka and the Star Spring monument did 95% of the work. I honestly didn't think this deck would get anywhere at all... stuns don't seem consistent enough in draft because you can't usually build around them, and self-recall punishes your board if you don't have the right cards to take advantage of it. Heal just seems... underpowered. But I wound up with with one or two buffed units that just wouldn't die, and Soraka and her six health were usually just out of reach of my opponents, so she tended to stick around for the full game. Two copies of Starshaping were usually there to provide a big celestial in the late game to cement the win. I was sure I'd lost at least half these matches before stabilizing late game.

Edit: Got an Aurelion Sol as part of the reward, too!

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Well... I just spent almost all my wildcards (including 8 champion ones) and about 20,000 shards to craft five meta decks and one variant so I have something better to play in this week's gauntlet. We'll see how this goes lol.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Wow! I actually achieved prime glory this week (getting to seven wins in Gauntlet on my first attempt). It was very, very close... I thought I was dead in my final game, not realizing that Fury activates sequentially on "strike another" cards like Judgment. Otherwise my dragon wouldn't have had the necessary power to wipe my opponent's board. I actually had to use two Judgments to win. Turns out that people almost always ban Go Hard decks; that's fine with me, I built one to learn how to play it, but I don't particular like it. Instead, I usually got to play the "Grand Targon" Aurelion Sol/Garen big/midrange deck. I love midrange.

I also feel the need to praise Runeterra's Expedition (draft) and Gauntlet elimination formats. Until the final game, lose two in a row and you're out. But if you win after a loss, you recover and can continue on. It really softens the impact of variance and bad beats, as well as giving new players a little cushion.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Wow, and two champions--Taric and Zoe--in an epic capsule region reward just now! :shock:

I'm realizing I really miss text chat in games of this sort. I realize that it helps prevent toxicity and harassment and wouldn't be practical in the mobile versions, but I remember it in Mojang's Scrolls and rarely had a bad experience. Plus you made some real connections. Wasn't that supposed to be one of the reasons PC gaming was superior? Six emotes isn't enough to adequately express yourself, and a lot of people just use them to try to make you feel bad, anyway. It's to the point that my fragile ego has taken to muting the other player whenever it looks like I'm going to lose. I don't mind losing; but every time they flash a "GG"-style emote before the game is actually decided, it really pisses me off. And you can't even call them out for it (and they're unable to explain if they didn't mean it that way).

The current cooperative Lab is challenging for similar reasons. There are bonus emotes for the event to help you communicate, but it's not really sufficient and I worry conversely that players are going to call me out for unideal play considering there are still a lot of cards/interactions I haven't mastered. Though I appreciated a player that gave me the thumbs up emote when they sensed I was hesitating with committing defenders. Or maybe they were just pissed off I was taking so long lol.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The newest lab, Lab of Legends, is as enjoyable a solitaire experience as anything Hearthstone put out while I was still playing. (Though I imagine they may have gotten more creative since then.) I hope this lab or something like it becomes a permanent mode. It's great for when you don't know if you can play a full game without being interrupted, and the various card/deck "powers" you earn during the run are a lot of fun.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I kind of take it back... the new lab is tons of addictive solo fun that requires owning no card collection, but it's not quite as varied as I'd hoped, and it's bloody frustrating top die to an A.I. burn draw after you've invested an hour in the run. Some form of healing is generally required, as your initial 30-point health pool is only replenished after beating the boss every three matches. There's one power that heals you for 10 at the start of each match, but there's no guarantee you'll get it on any particular run. There are a lot of ways to accomplish healing and mitigation through various choices of cards and powers you pick up along the way though... but if you don't have healing, you'd better have stun, or one of the powers that buffs health to match power, or vice versa. While having a wide board is necessary in multiple matches, you need a couple big units to win almost any of them beyond the beginning.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Now that I've finished Lab of Legends with all champions and probably run it a good 25 times overall, I can say that there are definitely more winning strategies than I initially thought, and sudden blowouts aren't that common (but they're incredibly frustrating when they do happen). The first 2-3 games of each run really start to drag, before you unlock multiple powers. But beyond that, it's obviously been a lot of fun to keep me playing this long. I do wish it were a permanent mode, but it needs variety in terms of opponents fought.

I've also realized that I need to take a break from the game, or at least scale back from going for my three XP-boosted wins per day. It's becoming a chore. I've unlocked about 65% of all cards in about 2.5 months without paying a dime, outside of some cosmetics. (Mind you, that's 65% of having three copies of each released card--there are some you wouldn't want three copies of, or want at all for the sake of competitive decks.) This isn't a knock against the game; it's really opened up for me deck-composition-wise, and it has the broadest meta of any CCG I've ever played. But some of the popular decks are still pretty frustrating to play against (especially the combo ones where you're often sitting around waiting for your opponent to weight their options), and booting the game up just isn't exciting me right now.

Aphelios, the new champion, is an example of choices bogging the game down. He generates one of five "weapons" (minor spells, really), which you get to select from. When you use it, you get to make one of two choices as to what the next generated one will be. This provides you with a lot of interesting options, but it also gives you analysis paralysis. (Though I imagine meta decks including him will have more specific gameplans.) I don't think it's an actual problem; I'm thrilled they've gone so wide with card design. But sometimes you just want to play the smaller, quicker puzzle game, and while you can build your own deck as you like, you can't control your opponent. Yeah, it's still light years better than MTG in that regard. And it's still much more interesting than Hearthstone back in the day. I guess this really is what the compromise looks like, so it's stupid to complain about it.

Overall, I've just been hitting it too hard. I've never been someone who can play all day climbing the ranked ladder. Mobalytics's tracker says I've played 360 games across 67 hours, and I imagine it's closer to 450. This lab has demonstrated the value of a solitaire mode I think, but I imagine they don't want to siphon players out of ranked. I still get the most fun out of Expeditions (draft) in terms of PvP, but while they mode is very well designed, I don't find it quite as thrilling as in other games, probably because the rewards are relatively minor. But this is still one of, if not the best and most player-friendly CCGs around.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

A few weeks ago saw the release of the most recent expansion. I'm really impressed at the rate at which some of these developers put out content. I know regular releases has always been a staple of the market leaders in CCGs, but I feel like I hardly have time to adjust to a new set before a new one comes out. I do worry about dilution and repetition eventually becoming an issue though. Does anyone actually like that aspect of CCGs? Runeterra's card design continues to be very fresh however.

I kind of made the mistake of buying the event pass when I needed a break from the game. It's only given me more pressure to play, as you're in a race to unlock everything (cosmetics mostly) by the end of the event (about 10 days left). I think I'll make though, and it hasn't been too miserable. It gives you a nice stable of pets (mostly re-skins, but cool ones)/emotes/card backs to play with presuming you don't mind the common theme.

I've actually cotinued playing the Lab of Legends solitaire mode on a daily basis, even though I've long since beat it on each of the eight champions. It's just... fun, and you get an additional daily XP bonus for the first three wins. I'm happy it's stuck around, and it looks like it's getting an "upgrade" soon as well, which hopefully means some variety and expansion. Hopefully some variation of it becomes a permanent mode.

I continue to have a somewhat mediocre time in constructed. I know part of it is that I don't give it all of my attention, often web browising while I play. I also don't bother to take the time to tinker with net decks. But it seems like I can only win consistently with rush decks, especially spiders. And that sucks, because I kind of hate aggro. I love mid-range, as well as control as long as I have more to do than cast reactionary spells. But it's very little fun to play slow decks and lose, or not get far enough to pull out the big guns. I don't think it's a poor reflection on the game, just my patience. I really don't like playing against some of the popular combo decks, and there aren't a lot of meta mid-range options.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Welcome back to Sudy's private Runeterra blog!

Enlarge Image

Lab of Legends (the solitaire mode) got an update today. Sounds like they're committed to the mode and plan to continue to update it. Today's update brings two new champions/decks, difficulty levels, and a reward reroll mechanic. Unfortunately there are no new bosses or abilities; it would really benefit from some variety and randomness. But balancing that would probably be a fair bit of work, and it that it will come in the future.

I'm very surprised I'm still playing this on a nearly daily basis, almost two months later. Even though some elements have gotten stale, it's just fun, and the experience bonus for the first three wins is good.

There were also some fairly big balance changes to the game overall, but as they don't affect most decks I play in competitive I'm neutral on them. Most of the multiplayer I've been playing recently is expeditions (i.e. draft/arena) anyway.
Last edited by Sudy on Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

donaldmcdonald wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:45 am My day on experience was pretty boarding and my day two experienced is unacceptable.

It's kinda weird this guy seemingly joined the forum just to write this post, and then never returned. Did his hard drive die, and he forgot the name of the site? Did he get hit by a bus later that day? Was this a Blizzard bot?

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Sudy wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:39 am There were also some fairly big balance changes to the game overall, but as they don't affect most decks I play in competitive I'm neutral on them. Most of the multiplayer I've been playing recently is expeditions (i.e. draft/arena) anyway.
I think the changes are very welcome. I usually play on the ladder, and the Twisted Fate / Fizz deck was showing up way too much and was really annoying to play against. I'm very glad they nerfed several of the aspects of that deck. I'm happy that Fiora got nerfed as well. I got to diamond rank for the first time using the solo Fiora deck, but I felt dirty for doing it.

Also, I'm really happy to see Shyvana and Jarvan IV buffed. I have a few decks for each of them I enjoy but haven't been able to be as competitive with those decks. Jarvan in particular is a lot of fun once he gets rolling.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I definitely hate playing against Fiora... I'm not sure how big of a difference increasing TF's draw condition from 8 to 9 is going to make though? Not wanting to play against annoying combo decks is the main reason I hardly play competitive. :mrgreen:

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Sudy wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:04 pm I definitely hate playing against Fiora... I'm not sure how big of a difference increasing TF's draw condition from 8 to 9 is going to make though? Not wanting to play against annoying combo decks is the main reason I hardly play competitive. :mrgreen:
I agree that alone isn't a huge deal, but they also nerfed "Pick a Card" which was a go-to way of levelling TF up fast. Nerfing Wiggly Burblefish on top of that hurts the usual TF/Fizz deck even more.
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

I think my brain isn't working because I saw the changes to pick a card and it seems they ruined the card completely? Is it now trash two cards to get two cards with fleeting? (pick a card plus the card you discard to get 2) Seems terrible even if you just want to draw to enable TF.
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Harkonis wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:50 pm I think my brain isn't working because I saw the changes to pick a card and it seems they ruined the card completely? Is it now trash two cards to get two cards with fleeting? (pick a card plus the card you discard to get 2) Seems terrible even if you just want to draw to enable TF.
Before, you shuffle one card into your deck and then draw three fleeting next turn.

Now, you turn a card in your hand into fleeting for the next turn, and also draw two fleeting next turn.

So half the nerf is that you draw 2 instead of 3, and the other half is that you turn a card into fleeting instead of shuffling it into your deck.
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

ok, missed the part where you don't put a card back in the deck now. So the economy is very similar. You could even argue that in some ways it is better now since you can still use that card you mark as fleeting now in place of the 3rd you would have next turn. Not nearly as big of a nerf as I thought. Sad since I hate those decks with a passion lol
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace