Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Brian

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Brian »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:55 pm pitchfork guns
Enlarge Image
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:07 pm
Holman wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:35 pm
Jeff V wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:17 pm [...] The donkeys need to establish relationships with any honorable Republicans that might still exist (I believe them to be extinct, but I don't know them all), receive some proven quid-pro-quo (ie, they break party ranks to vote for their initiatives and get tossed carrots as a reward), then work across the aisle to elevate those people within the party and break the authority commanded by the likes of Moscow Mitch.
This is apparently Biden's plan. He was in the senate for decades and believes himself to have personal relationships with many people across the aisle. If any Democrat was ever in a position to work with the other side, it's Joe Biden.

We'll find out in a few weeks whether such a thing is even remotely possible.
It'll be easier if those apparently bent on treason are convicted and executed. And, asking for a friend, do you think think that if Biden pulls a move from the Bolshevik playbook and has the Trump family executed ala the Romanovs, will history look unkindly on him?
With the exception of the youngest one(s). I'm all for it. Quick show trial, then off to the gallows.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The Republicans are not 100% raving maniacs. Unfortunately they have openly latched on to white supremacy as a short term placebo to maintain minority control of government. This is a doomed strategy. The majority of 15 year olds in this country are non-white. The only way the Democrats lose long term is infighting and destruction from within.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:49 pm The Republicans are not 100% raving maniacs. Unfortunately they have openly latched on to white supremacy as a short term placebo to maintain minority control of government. This is a doomed strategy. The majority of 15 year olds in this country are non-white. The only way the Democrats lose long term is infighting and destruction from within.
Except what is going to happen in the mean time while the Republicans continue to erode Democracy and our international position. Also, don't count all non-white 15 year olds in the Democrat camp.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:49 pm The Republicans are not 100% raving maniacs. Unfortunately they have openly latched on to white supremacy as a short term placebo to maintain minority control of government. This is a doomed strategy. The majority of 15 year olds in this country are non-white. The only way the Democrats lose long term is infighting and destruction from within.
Elected ones are due to the radicalized constituency and McConnell's thirst for Power over what's good for the Country:
Obama recounts the difficulty of dealing with Mitch McConnell (Ky.), the top Senate Republican then and now. Obama writes that Biden told him of how McConnell had blocked one of his bills. When Biden tried to explain the bill’s merits, McConnell responded, “You must be under the mistaken impression that I care,” Obama writes, recounting McConnell’s “shamelessness” and “dispassionate pursuit of power.”
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I’m up for this:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's...uhh..something. I wish them well. I think.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'll be very surprised if there is any noticeable follow through.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:21 pm I'll be very surprised if there is any noticeable follow through.
We only need a sufficient amount to elect two senators in GA. Trump was never a Republican, he just exploited them for his own enrichment.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Maybe that will happen. They are notorious for not breaking ranks, but we've never had a Trump before.

I'd love to see it happen, but not holding my breath.

It would be cool if one of Trump's last actions in office was to kick the chair out from under the GOP.
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's been said many times that Republican politics are cynical but not stupid.

On the other hand, upstart populist movements have demonstrated a tendency towards both. We'll see.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The GOP either becomes the trump forever party, or it sunders. I hope it splits and we have a loyal opposition, even if they're in the wilderness for a while. Because the trumpsters are showing us daily who they really are.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Trump turned out a lot of people this time around that had not voted in years, as did the Democrats. I think it is far more likely that the Democrats hold on to their people, and that the Republicans don't hold on to their Trumpers because these are cultists, who only carry about their cult leader. But the GA runoffs will give us an idea of who is holding on their voters.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I think the Democrats suffered from images of "antifa" violence and "Defund the Police," possibly the worst slogan in history, as witnessed in the down ballot success of the Repugnicans in 2020. However, it remains to be seen how elected officials and street radicals calling for armed insurrection will resonate with suburban women in 2022.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:42 pm I think the Democrats suffered from images of "antifa" violence and "Defund the Police," possibly the worst slogan in history, as witnessed in the down ballot success of the Repugnicans in 2020. However, it remains to be seen how elected officials and street radicals calling for armed insurrection will resonate with suburban women in 2022.
Rebrand it as "Back Up the Police" -- which is actually closer to what's meant -- and they'd have a hit on their hands. Who's against making policing more humane? But "defund" is sticky, so they're stuck with it.

Democrats do suck at branding.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Kraken wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:04 am
Jaymann wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:42 pm I think the Democrats suffered from images of "antifa" violence and "Defund the Police," possibly the worst slogan in history, as witnessed in the down ballot success of the Repugnicans in 2020. However, it remains to be seen how elected officials and street radicals calling for armed insurrection will resonate with suburban women in 2022.
Rebrand it as "Back Up the Police" -- which is actually closer to what's meant -- and they'd have a hit on their hands. Who's against making policing more humane? But "defund" is sticky, so they're stuck with it.
Not sure "Back up the police" is great (give the police back up? Making them back up from what they're doing?), but that's more "build back better" level of awkward than "defund the police" level of stupid.

Personally, I favor "demilitarize the police", even if it's not perfect.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Defiant wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:13 am
Kraken wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:04 am
Not sure "Back up the police" is great (give the police back up? Making them back up from what they're doing?), but that's more "build back better" level of awkward than "defund the police" level of stupid.

Personally, I favor "demilitarize the police", even if it's not perfect.
That one's good. There are a lot of words that work better than "defund" and better describe what we want.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Holman wrote:It's been said many times that Republican politics are cynical but not stupid.

On the other hand, upstart populist movements have demonstrated a tendency towards both. We'll see.
That was before a generation was raised on Fox News and Rush Limbaugh. Hence the thread title.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

If nothing else, they're now officially the party of voter suppression. Making voting more difficult is now a platform standard.

And that's going to be the lasting effect of Trump's effort to overturn the election.. He'll lose, but the narrative will stick.

From now on, whenever a GOP SoS or legislature is credibly accused of voter suppression, Republicans everywhere will find moral safe harbor in ignoring it because "Biden stole 2020."

Post by Default »

"The Big Lie".
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Grifman wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:30 pm I’m up for this:

"Yeah!!!! Let's go!!! Wooooo..."
*Awkward silence waiting for instructions on how to actual destroy the GOP*

*Chant starts*
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Holman wrote:If nothing else, they're now officially the party of voter suppression. Making voting more difficult is now a platform standard.

And that's going to be the lasting effect of Trump's effort to overturn the election.. He'll lose, but the narrative will stick.

From now on, whenever a GOP SoS or legislature is credibly accused of voter suppression, Republicans everywhere will find moral safe harbor in ignoring it because "Biden stole 2020."
It's not nothing else tho. The only thing missing from this march is a speech by the Reverend Nehemiah Scudder :

https://www.theamericanconservative.com ... cho-march/

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

And, as is typical of the 21st century GOP, he had already decided to retire and not run for reelection before saying this. He's a coward.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:55 pm
And, as is typical of the 21st century GOP, he had already decided to retire and not run for reelection before saying this. He's a coward.
Also typical is the credulous media fawning over him like he is heralding a return to normalcy. Come on.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:12 pmAlso typical is the credulous media fawning over him like he is heralding a return to normalcy. Come on.
Seriously. Go look at his voting record for the last ~6 months.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Didn't do my homework on this guy. But I'd still like to see others quit the party.

PA's Senator Toomey is an interesting case. He's a right-wing stalwart, but for some reason he has decided to quit the game. He has recently criticized Trump (something he never did before) and announced that he won't be running for re-election in 2022.

As far as I can tell, he's not trying to get out ahead of some scandal. He has just decided to make himself a quasi-independent conservative for the final two years of his term.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:55 pm
Not to mention, he waited until the EC had certified to make certain his stand had absolutely no impact on anything. At all.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well howdy there internet people, it's Beau again.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rooting for the lesser of two evils of McConnell era obstructionism. :cry:
malchior

Post by malchior »

I think Beau got this wrong - well wrong is too strong - I think he is weighing January 6th too heavily. I agree with a lot of what he is saying but I don't think anything definitive will happen then. There may be some noise and bluster but it won't give us anything but hints. The churn in the GOP is going to persist for years. How Trump leaves is going to matter. The polling of his support after he goes will matter. And by the end of next year we will start to see how much influence Trump has on the mid-terms. We also may see how much his family starts trying to step into the political game. Will Ivanka try to primary Rubio? In other words, a lot may happen that will change the game in the upcoming months and years and I don't think McConnell will be the party leader in any case.

The flaw I see in Beau's argument is that he is pitching it as how will the establishment vs. newer members line up. And it seems to miss that the GOP is in the throes of a populist uprising. We will have to see how fickle the mob actually is. In the end, we might not see that until November 2022 with any definition.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Agreed. It is not a win or loss at this point, but it will force the Repugnicans to show their hands.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

At least they’re coming out and proudly declaring it now.

I’m not going back to yesterday’s Republican Party.

THIS IS DONALD TRUMP’S PARTY!
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I can define the GOP in 2021 in 2 words...evil assholes
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/ ... eat-again/

This guy wants a 'big tent' GOP that's a big spender, cautious with the military, and socially conservative.

I assume any party wants to be 'big tent' as it's a smarmy way of saying 'more people' but his thoughts do echo some of what trump has done over the last 4 years. Not that trump has ideals/principles /goals but those ideas of big spending and social conservatism seem to have at least some ppl energized.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

McConnell ties full repeal of Section 230 to push for $2,000 stimulus checks

Despicable little wrinkle butted asshole devil.
On Tuesday night, McConnell introduced a new bill tying increased stimulus payments to a full repeal of Section 230, according to bill text obtained by The Verge. The bill comes amid new momentum for direct $2000 stimulus payments, and increasing pressure on party leaders to appease President Trump’s escalating demands.

Democratic party leaders criticized the inclusion of Section 230 repeal as an effort to scuttle stimulus talks. “Senator McConnell knows how to make $2,000 survival checks reality and he knows how to kill them,” Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said in a statement Tuesday. “Will Senate Republicans go along with Sen. McConnell’s cynical gambit or will they push him to give a vote on the standalone [bill]?”
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Perfect

It is a sign of the brokenness of American politics that Gov. Kristi Noem can let a pandemic rampage out of control in South Dakota, killing one out of every 600 residents, and somehow this positions her as a Republican Party presidential frontrunner
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Trump has a lot more deaths on his hands. She's chump change.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just wait until we all have to brush President Ivanka's hair in 2024
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

It’s their god-given right as patriotic Americans to catch and die from a communicable disease if they want to, dammit. How dare you take that freedom from them!

Noem is a hero for protecting that right.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.