Election integrity and the transfer of power

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Octavious

Re: Election integrity and the transfer of power

Post by Octavious »

The best thing he could do for the country is to make the Republican party split. So I totally think they should make a patriot party.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's weird to me how headlines group think. The news almost universally states "Trump... Turns... McConnell..." Like it's an extention Trump pivoting... Is there no Lexicon in news or do they all pull from a primary alien programming.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Paingod wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:32 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:30 pmAgolf is turning on McConnell! Patriot Party!
I've been saying for a while that we really need a three-party system. My vision was for the Left and Right to be joined by a Center. I never considered the implications of fracturing the Right and handing control of everything to Democrats. I suppose the GOP earned this, though. The culmination of 30 years of careful manipulation and planning ends with someone dropping a bowling ball through their glass house.
I will say that I think the best case scenario for the next couple decades is some type of third-party "Patriot / Trump Party" gains steam. This costs the Republicans a number of elections. More importantly, it creates a broad constituency for (small d) democratic reforms, where Republicans are willing to make a deal and look at stuff like ranked choice voting because the Patriot Party is causing them to lose a lot of elections, and Democrats are willing to make a deal because they're still disadvantaged by a lot of structural elements in our political system (including gerrymandering and voter suppression).

I'm sure it's not going to play out anywhere like that, but a guy can dream.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I don't do social media, but if I did I would promote and retweet PATRIOT PARTY! at every opportunity and encourage all my right-thinking friends and relatives to do likewise.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:41 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:30 pmAgolf is turning on McConnell! Patriot Party!
I've been saying for a while that we really need a three-party system. My vision was for the Left and Right to be joined by a Center. I never considered the implications of fracturing the Right and handing control of everything to Democrats. I suppose the GOP earned this, though. The culmination of 30 years of careful manipulation and planning ends with someone dropping a bowling ball through their glass house.
I will say that I think the best case scenario for the next couple decades is some type of third-party "Patriot / Trump Party" gains steam. This costs the Republicans a number of elections. More importantly, it creates a broad constituency for (small d) democratic reforms, where Republicans are willing to make a deal and look at stuff like ranked choice voting because the Patriot Party is causing them to lose a lot of elections, and Democrats are willing to make a deal because they're still disadvantaged by a lot of structural elements in our political system (including gerrymandering and voter suppression).

The downside is that we see the extremism of the "MAGA Party" get amped up 10x to appeal to their moronic horde, and they start gaining even greater representation in Red strongholds. Because let's face it, there are lots of places in this country where there is no way a Democrat is going to win, even if the conservative vote is split.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Or the Patriot Party can gain power.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If they name themselves the Patriot Party Ill sue them for misuse of the name.

If they want to call themselves The Mean Moronic Evil Cult of the Uncaring Hell Bound Doofuses then Im ok with that.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:34 pm

The downside is that we see the extremism of the "MAGA Party" get amped up 10x to appeal to their moronic horde, and they start gaining even greater representation in Red strongholds. Because let's face it, there are lots of places in this country where there is no way a Democrat is going to win, even if the conservative vote is split.
ehhh. If the Patriot Party got to the point where it's getting ~ 15% of the vote in red areas (I expect that it'll never get off the ground, but assuming for the moment) then Democrats will start winning in a lot of red areas. E.g., Biden got 37.5% of the vote in Tennessee, 37.7% in Utah, 43% in Alaska, 45% in Iowa, 43% in South Carolina, etc. To say nothing of NC, FL, etc. which were narrow Trump wins in 2020.

It wouldn't take a right-wing third party to siphon off a ton of votes to swing election results. Heck, even if they only got 5% in 2024, that's probably enough to cost the GOP NC and FL (and make the presidential election non-competitive).
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:41 pm

Or the Patriot Party can gain power.
If the Patriot Party winds up displacing the current GOP, then either "soft" Republicans have gone over to the Democratic Party (making a majority harder for the PP) or the PP is competing for "soft" Republicans and winds up essentially becoming the current GOP with a different name.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:34 pm Patriot used to be a word that instilled pride. Now when I see the word attached to anything it instills mistrust.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:49 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:34 pm Patriot used to be a word that instilled pride. Now when I see the word attached to anything it instills mistrust.
Same with “Freedom”.

Or anything that makes extensive use of an American flag.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Actually, that's not true. There are a lot of states where Democrats get over 40%, which would be all that would be needed for a Democratic presidential candidate to win that state:

https://cookpolitical.com/2020-national ... te-tracker

I count only only 14 states where Biden got less than 40%, and a number of those were above 35%. A split in the Republican Party would pretty much guarantee Democratic presidents for the most part.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Grifman wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:55 pm

Actually, that's not true. There are a lot of states where Democrats get over 40%, which would be all that would be needed for a Democratic presidential candidate to win that state:

https://cookpolitical.com/2020-national ... te-tracker

I count only only 14 states where Biden got less than 40%, and a number of those were above 35%. A split in the Republican Party would pretty much guarantee Democratic presidents for the most part.
Stop it. You're getting my hopes up.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:42 am Countdown to Biden inauguration as President:

35 DAYS

Barr submits Pirate Resignation Letter. Angry posters want to form Patriot Party (oh please do) and claim the US military will join their Sandbox RebellionTM.
I'm still skeptical they'll have the fortitude to break off and form a new party.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:58 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:42 am Countdown to Biden inauguration as President:

35 DAYS

Barr submits Pirate Resignation Letter. Angry posters want to form Patriot Party (oh please do) and claim the US military will join their Sandbox RebellionTM.
I'm still skeptical they'll have the fortitude to break off and form a new party.
Yeah, I'm deeply skeptical. Hard to say for sure with Trump, though.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:58 pm

35 DAYS

I'm beyond skeptical on this. Trump owns the party outright now. He gained support over the last 4 years and locked in the base. He isn't going to break off. The most it'd be is a re-brand. In the end, there isn't enough "rump" left to split. There are only a handful of 'moderate' Republicans at best right now. They aren't going to go off on the wilderness all on their own especially since the base is fervently controlled by Trump.

What McConnell did was read the situation properly -- per usual -- and position himself where he needs to be. He has the luxury to be able to pursue his own agenda since he just got re-upped for another 6 years. Rubio and the short-timers who are at his mercy with the base are the people you need to watch. Heck right now Ron Johnson is running a sham hearing to push forward this 'stab in the back' election fraud theory.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So only the racists and politicians that are all about voter suppression are going to magically split off? Leaving whatever GOP members that are left solely focused on what? Staying rich? Sending money to their corporate sponsors? Continuing to attack women's health?

The entirety of the GOP should be sent to history's dust bin. They've embraced (figuratively and literally) Trump and actively courted the ugliest parts of our society; they deserve to be collectively retired.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:29 pm The entirety of the GOP should be sent to history's dust bin. They've embraced (figuratively and literally) Trump and actively courted the ugliest parts of our society; they deserve to be collectively retired.
I don't disagree with you but power loves a void. What comes next? Half of the US had been revealed as willing to accept Trumps GOP as a cost of doing business or are IMO worse people than that. That's a big exposure to me that I can't wrap my head around. Even coming into 2016 as a shit sandwich, I still held to the idea that generation landslide was causing the last gasps bigotry to flame out, being used by wealthy corporate short sightedness. I was demonstrably wrong on more than one front, something I used to appreciate as a learning opportunity. I got nuthin' anymore.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

As always, rules for thee but not for me.

If Nancy Pelosi tries to overturn the people's vote in Iowa's 2nd Congressional District, the losing Democrat candidate will be viewed as illegitimate.

Republican Mariannette Miller-Meeks won, and I look forward to her swearing-in on January 3rd.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Countdown to Biden inauguration as President:

34 DAYS

Citizens in Mar a Lago tell Agolf: You don't have to go home but you can't live here. No wonder he is telling aides he will refuse to leave the White House on January 20.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Senator-elect Coach Dumbass of Alabama has declared that he will buck McConnell and object to the approval of EC votes on January 6. Since House idiots are already on board with it, this would mean Congress holds a two-hour "debate" before voting to certify.

The outcome will not be in doubt, especially since overturning the electors requires majorities in both houses, and neither will provide it.

What this will do is require all Republicans to go on record as rejecting democracy or rejecting Trump, which is what McConnell is desperate to avoid.

Presumably McConnell is already instructing Tuberville to STFU, presumably with repeated blows from a claw hammer.

(I've already seen disinformation in the wild informing MAGAs that the House vote is a one-per-state thing, which it isn't. They're going to try to persuade themselves that they can overturn the election if they can push the Senate hard enough.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Rand Paul saying the quiet part out loud again.

Rand Paul rails on how Georgia was supposedly stolen — “but probably most importantly” absentee ballot applications being sent out for the Senate runoffs.

“I’m very, very concerned that if you solicit votes from typically non-voters, that you will affect and change the outcome.”
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Rand Paul's neighbor: Don't make me come over there...
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:44 am As always, rules for thee but not for me.

If Nancy Pelosi tries to overturn the people's vote in Iowa's 2nd Congressional District, the losing Democrat candidate will be viewed as illegitimate.

Republican Mariannette Miller-Meeks won, and I look forward to her swearing-in on January 3rd.
I'm not familiar with the mechanism that would allow Pelosi to seat her. Is that a constitutional power Pelosi has?
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Unrelated, it's kinda ironic having a politician named "Marianette".
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:39 pm I'm not familiar with the mechanism that would allow Pelosi to seat her. Is that a constitutional power Pelosi has?
Federal Contested Elections Act of 1969
Holman

Post by Holman »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:39 pm
I'm not familiar with the mechanism that would allow Pelosi to seat her. Is that a constitutional power Pelosi has?
There's some controversy over the recount, which was apparently not given enough time for absentee ballots (which favor Dems) to be fully checked, and the margin was 6 votes out of 400,000.

I'm not sure how Pelosi comes into it, but if McCarthy is whining self-righteously then there must be some way for the Dem to win.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holman wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:14 pm I'm not sure how Pelosi comes into it, but if McCarthy is whining self-righteously then there must be some way for the Dem to win.
I mostly figured it was general whinging to cater to the base, not that Pelosi would actually ever swoop in and actually do anything to affect the election.

Just found it incredibly ironic, considering the actions he's personally taken over the past couple weeks.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I don't know the specifics, but can't the 6-vote loser demand a recount? If it costs money, the DNC could pick up the tab.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:39 pm I don't know the specifics, but can't the 6-vote loser demand a recount? If it costs money, the DNC could pick up the tab.
There was a partial recount. It ran out of time to re-count all the absentee votes before it was certified.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

malchior wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:41 pm
Jaymann wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:39 pm I don't know the specifics, but can't the 6-vote loser demand a recount? If it costs money, the DNC could pick up the tab.
There was a partial recount. It ran out of time to re-count all the absentee votes before it was certified.
That would sound like the basis for a legal challenge approximately 6 or 7 thousand times more valid than: But Hugo Chavez!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:19 pm
Holman wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:14 pm I'm not sure how Pelosi comes into it, but if McCarthy is whining self-righteously then there must be some way for the Dem to win.
I mostly figured it was general whinging to cater to the base, not that Pelosi would actually ever swoop in and actually do anything to affect the election.

Just found it incredibly ironic, considering the actions he's personally taken over the past couple weeks.
It appears as if there is something to it. She filed a petition to the Committee on House Administration regarding the Federal Contested Elections Act.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:49 pm
malchior wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:41 pm
That would sound like the basis for a legal challenge approximately 6 or 7 thousand times more valid than: But Hugo Chavez!
Well it's tricky. That essentially was what closed down Bush v. Gore. The state certification deadlines. So the candidates legal counsel probably realized informed they they had a poor shot in the courts.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:21 amhe is telling aides he will refuse to leave the White House on January 20.
I would pay a $29.95 Pay-Per-View charge to watch the Secret Service drag the trespasser out of the White House, in full-blown toddler tantrum mode, complete with kicking and screaming.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Paingod wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:52 am
Jaymann wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:21 amhe is telling aides he will refuse to leave the White House on January 20.
I would pay a $29.95 Pay-Per-View charge to watch the Secret Service drag the trespasser out of the White House, in full-blown toddler tantrum mode, complete with kicking and screaming.
Is Trump's post-presidential Secret Service detail obligated to defend him if he's trespassing?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Secrets Service wouldn't be the ones executing a presidential eviction. It would be the US military most likely.

Either way, the Secret Service oath and duty is to the Constitution, not the President. Or the president. They'd be obligated to stand aside or assist.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So, immediately after massive confirmed cyber-attack by Russia, the Pentagon halts all briefings with the Biden transition team. Seems legit.

Pentagon is playing it down as "we're overwhelmed by meetings and need a break". I remain...skeptical.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:04 pm So, immediately after massive confirmed cyber-attack by Russia, the Pentagon halts all briefings with the Biden transition team. Seems legit.

Pentagon is playing it down as "we're overwhelmed by meetings and need a break". I remain...skeptical.
The stated rationale also makes no sense. (To paraphrase) We had only a few meetings left but *THEY WERE TOO MUCH TO HANDLE*. This is our national security apparatus. A complete shit show.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:09 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:04 pm So, immediately after massive confirmed cyber-attack by Russia, the Pentagon halts all briefings with the Biden transition team. Seems legit.

The stated rationale also makes no sense. (To paraphrase) We had only a few meetings left but *THEY WERE TOO MUCH TO HANDLE*. This is our national security apparatus. A complete shit show.
Is Chris Miller one of the last minute DoD Trump political appointees? I assume that he is? So hard to read this as anything other than finding an excuse to cut off transition briefings. Question is what else they're doing.
Black Lives Matter.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:04 pmPentagon is playing it down as "we're overwhelmed by meetings and need a break". I remain...skeptical.
Talking circles and evading reality is exhausting work.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.