Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Video Games Randomness

Post by Daehawk »

Player characters.

As for that game, sell it on Steam they dont care what they sell.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:45 am Well, I can't honestly blame them. I think it's less about censorship and more about not wanting to be caught between a rock and a hard place. Although their wording about pressure from gamers seems to be a deflection from the bigger picture. It does seem odd to me that they would not realize the content could be controversial to begin with. I mean, don't they review these things before deciding to sell them?
Perhaps.

But that hardly justifies GOG's misleading gobshite about suddenly deciding to pull the game "after receiving many messages from gamers." Had they at least been honest about why they chose to pull it, they'd likely still have caught flak for bending the knee to China's 50 cent army, but they wouldn't have the embarrassing PR fustercluck they've now created for themselves with their blatant pretence that only makes it look worse. Because realistically, the only "gamers" likely to bother messaging GOG specifically requesting that particular Taiwanese title be memory-holed are almost certainly affiliated with the CCP.

Here's a saltier take on the situation courtesy of David Jaffe (which does contain NSFW language):

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:05 am As for that game, sell it on Steam they dont care what they sell.
They already tried releasing the game on Steam. That was where it was initially released in 2019, and subsequently removed due to review-bombing from the aforementioned 50 cent army. The write-up in PC Gamer explains the relevant details below:
PCGamer.com wrote:This is a sudden (and baffling) decision. Who are these mysterious 'gamers' and what exactly did they say that provoked GOG to pull the game? We've reached out to the company for comment. In the meantime, you can read all about Devotion and its troubled history in the original article below.

Original story: In early 2019 the indie horror game Devotion, which PCG thought was pretty great, was discovered to contain a reference to China's president, Xi Jinping. A piece of paper in the game had references to Xi, the word 'moron', and the Disney character Winnie the Pooh: the latter is a comparison that has been widely used to mock Xi, to the extent that China banned an entire Winnie the Pooh movie because of it.

Once this was out in the open, things began to go badly wrong for Taiwanese developer Red Candle Games. Chinese players began to review-bomb the game en masse, undeterred by the removal of the offending material. Shortly afterwards the game was pulled from Steam by Red Candle itself.

This wasn't just a case of an online argument that got out of hand: the game's Chinese publisher, Indievent, soon afterwards had its business license revoked, while the Taiwanese publisher Winking Entertainment also quietly backed off. Amid fears that the game was being scrubbed out of history, Harvard University stepped in to ensure Devotion and the studio's previous game Detention were preserved in its East Asia collection.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:16 am Had they at least been honest about why they chose to pull it, they'd likely still have caught flak for bending the knee to China's 50 cent army, but they wouldn't have the embarrassing PR fustercluck they've now created for themselves with their blatant pretence that only makes it look worse.
No, instead they'd have lost the Chinese market and huge amounts of revenue. I really don't blame GOG, and I say this as someone who hates the company. Any other storefront would have made the same decision.
I no longer post here.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The problem with doing business in China is China can astroturf you very easily if anything say anything unflattering about China or its officials.

People understand that while "officially" it's the gamers mounting protests, the real message is the "black hand" behind the scenes inciting the protest... as an order from high up. And it's arbitrary as heck.

And China has VERY long memories... when it is convenient to do so.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:48 am People understand that while "officially" it's the gamers mounting protests, the real message is the "black hand" behind the scenes inciting the protest...
I thought people understood this too, but apparently not.
I no longer post here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

People hand wave just giving up doing business in China as if it is some mom-and-pop store. China is the #1 market for video games, and if some of these sellers lost their ability to sell to China, they'd go bankrupt. You can't just shrug and give up a third (or whatever large percentage) of your income if you want to stay in business. But the blatant mislead was a mistake. This is why companies use the PR doublespeak that people hate so much. It's obviously bullshit, but still serves to protect them from this kind of response.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It's a little R&P, but if every everyone stopped pandering to the Chinese censorship monsters, they'd find themselves isolated from the world and slipping from power - which is not what they want.

I agree that saying "its the gamer's fault" is a very bad move, though. Gamers didn't do this at all.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Anonymous Bosch

Paradroid wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:20 am
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:16 am Had they at least been honest about why they chose to pull it, they'd likely still have caught flak for bending the knee to China's 50 cent army, but they wouldn't have the embarrassing PR fustercluck they've now created for themselves with their blatant pretence that only makes it look worse.
No, instead they'd have lost the Chinese market and huge amounts of revenue. I really don't blame GOG, and I say this as someone who hates the company. Any other storefront would have made the same decision.
Then why bother entering the fray and purporting to save Red Candle's long-missing game in the first place? How does a platform like GOG proudly publicise the fact that they would be the ones to release an eagerly-anticipated Taiwanese indie title with a notoriously controversial history -- specifically because of Chairman Xi's cult of personality and his invariably thin-skinned bullshit reactions to any unflattering comparison with a certain portly cartoon bear (long since removed from the game in question anyway) -- only to then blame 'gamers' for their abrupt about-face? They totally brought this situation upon themselves.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Paradroid wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:20 am
Yeah, hence why I said rock and a hard place. When it comes down to it, CDPR is still just an independent dev and publisher, and catching the ire of China would harm their bottom bottom line, so this is them being safe rather than getting into a war with a country that they most likely not have the resources to handle. But again, the odd thing is, why even announce and accept it for publication with Steam's previous history with the game? That part is puzzling to me. They had to have known the game had some history before accepting to sign them on.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Anonymous Bosch

Well, if nothing else, one can but hope the Streisand effect provides Red Candle Games with greater publicity than they would've otherwise received had GOG released the game as promised.

Devotion's developer vows 'we won't stop striving' after being dropped by GOG
PCGamer.com wrote:Yesterday we reported that Devotion, a cult horror title from Taiwanese developer Red Candle Games, would be re-released on GOG after being unavailable for nearly two years. A few hours after this announcement was made GOG, owned by CD Projekt, unceremoniously dumped the game via the below tweet.

@GOGcom) wrote:Earlier today, it was announced that the game Devotion is coming to GOG. After receiving many messages from gamers, we have decided not to list the game in our store.
— GOG.COM (@GOGcom)
This has gone down in the west like a cup of cold sick, with the above tweet receiving a rather brutal shoeing and at least one developer pulling their game from GOG in protest. While the "many messages from gamers" seems a ridiculous phrase, and there's little evidence of any adverse reaction on western-centric media, the original controversy over the game was largely fuelled by users on the Chinese social platform Weibo. The hashtag relating to the game (#还愿#) has huge historical engagement figures, and the point I'm making is that, just because the "many messages" aren't immediately visible to us doesn't mean they don't exist: some conspiracists seem to think the Chinese Communist Party is involved but, as the Monster Hunter movie recently showed, there is a large and vociferous Chinese audience ready to jump on anything percieved as anti-China without prompting.

PCG has contacted GOG to ask for further details on the decision not to list Devotion, and will update with any response. The game's developer, Red Candle Games, has now responded to this latest setback.

"Though regretful but we are willing to understand and respect GOG's decision," reads the statement. "For the players looking forward to Devotion's re-release, please accept our most sincere apology. This is a difficult predicament to overcome, but we won't stop striving."

Full marks to Red Candle Games for its restraint, though the way ahead now is unclear. Itch.io may be one route. Some have suggested the Epic Games Store, but given that Epic itself is just under half-owned by the Chinese media giant Tencent that seems unlikely.

It's worth ending on an important point here: the joke that caused such offense is no longer in the game, and hasn't been for years. The pursuit of Devotion and its developers in this way is no longer about the game's content: it's just about stopping it being sold anywhere because it once had something in that the Chinese audience didn't like. It's almost unbearably petty. Red Candle's excellent Detention remains available on Steam, should you wish to support a developer that could use it.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:52 pm Well, if nothing else, one can but hope the Streisand effect provides Red Candle Games with greater publicity than they would've otherwise received had GOG released the game as promised.
Actually, in this case, I rather much doubt it. This is China we're talking about. It doesn't take much imagination to believe they'd try anything to snuff out the dev's candle. To china, it's open defiance. They''ll go at every store that tries to sell it to try and prevent getting it sold, which is what we've seen here. They went at Steam, and they went at GOG, and they'll go at anyone else who tries to sell it. And I'm not sure, but it seems to me something like the Streisand effect is not something they'd be accustomed to culturally.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Anonymous Bosch

Rumpy wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:51 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:52 pm Well, if nothing else, one can but hope the Streisand effect provides Red Candle Games with greater publicity than they would've otherwise received had GOG released the game as promised.
Actually, in this case, I rather much doubt it. This is China we're talking about. It doesn't take much imagination to believe they'd try anything to snuff out the dev's candle. To china, it's open defiance. They''ll go at every store that tries to sell it to try and prevent getting it sold, which is what we've seen here. They went at Steam, and they went at GOG, and they'll go at anyone else who tries to sell it. And I'm not sure, but it seems to me something like the Streisand effect is not something they'd be accustomed to culturally.
Alas, I'm inclined to agree. But hope springs eternal.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dont see what they could do to a store that doesn't have a footprint in China.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:39 pm Dont see what they could do to a store that doesn't have a footprint in China.
They couldn't, but what store would that be? It would have to be one so small that it wouldn't be worth selling there anyway.
I no longer post here.
Anonymous Bosch

Here's an interesting take from a business law firm regarding CD Projekt's fall from grace with their bungled release of Cyberpunk 2077 and (non) release of Red Candle's Devotion game:

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Good Lord what service is Crysis on? I know I own the first one in box but I know I own all 3 games someplace online. Im just not seeing them. I dont seem to won them on Steam.
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:03 am Good Lord what service is Crysis on? I know I own the first one in box but I know I own all 3 games someplace online. Im just not seeing them. I dont seem to won them on Steam.
Probably EA's Origin service.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I had the first two on Direct2Drive from way back in the day, before they were bought, sold, re-sold, and re-invented themselves nine times. For a while I thought my licenses were lost to the mists, but I logged in just now and I think everything is still there. Most of my licenses can be redeemed on their respective services, as well. (Steam, Origin, etc.)

Looks like this has resulted in me having an Origin code I don't need for Crysis 2 (looks like vanilla, not Maximum Edition). No guarantees it will work, but if you can't find your copy and want it Daehawk, send me a PM. Sorry, I tried redeeming some of the codes and the Origin ones don't work, so while you're welcome to try, I suspect it's a dud.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:03 am Good Lord what service is Crysis on?
It's currently on sale at GOG.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I found Crysis 3. Seems I got it on Origin in 2014 or so. Ya 2014 just checked. Looks like my wife got it for me just a month after her heart surgery.

Ive checked the other services and dont see 1 or 2. I thought I replayed the ma few years ago. You'd think I wouldn't bother if they were boxed copies laying around here some place.

edit:Ok...found Crysis 2 in the box. Seems I got it at Walmart in 2011. Origin allowed me to add it to my library. That means for sure Crysis 1 is boxed around here some place. If I can find it maybe its not too old to add to Origin too.

I also came across Riddick and am tempted by it. Ive finished it a couple times too. Such a good game series.Anyways C2 is in the small dvd style box. For some reason Im thinking the first game is in the bigger small box form that came out after big box size.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

is Crysis Remastered only available on Epic?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Seems so. Which is strange because isn't it a EA title?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive looked for over an hour. I KNOW I own this. I remembered the box art . I looked it up to be sure and yep same art. I just cant find it. I found Vampire Bloodlines that I couldn't find last time I was looking for it though. ARGH.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

you have to go through a bit of a process to get (the original) Crysis registered as an Origin key:

https://themaningrayhat.wordpress.com/2 ... n-account/

i thought i did this in the past, but i guess not. i do have Crysis 2 in my (Origin AND Steam) account(s), due to a previous EA bundle i purchased.

also i'm finding the 'all platforms in one place' approach of GOG Galaxy 2.0 useful. i needed it to track down one of the Oddworld titles, and i found out i have the first Syberia on GOG, the second on Origin and the prologue episode on Steam.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well that will come in handy if I ever find it. Ive looked over all the spots 5 times and not seen it. GOG has it for $5 so may have to rebuy it next month.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not sure if real or not but John asked to sign Doom 3 :) ...That face....

Enlarge Image
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:17 pmalso i'm finding the 'all platforms in one place' approach of GOG Galaxy 2.0 useful. i needed it to track down one of the Oddworld titles, and i found out i have the first Syberia on GOG, the second on Origin and the prologue episode on Steam.
I may have to look into that, I think I have ended up with four copies of Mass Effect 2 somehow (Boxed, Steam, Origin, and Steam again with the Digital Deluxe edition). It's a good game, but that seems a bit excessive.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If you linked all to GOG and GOG got hacked wouldn't they have access to all your others game things too?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:43 pm If you linked all to GOG and GOG got hacked wouldn't they have access to all your others game things too?
No, they'd only have access to other public info - your library, playtime, friends list, whatever you the source service shared. For instance, when you link Steam to GoG, GoG sees the same thing that anyone would have by looking at your Steam profile (like mine, linked right there <------ .) GoG doesn't actually get access to your account, your password, or your mother's maiden name.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hmmm..I thought I had to login with my name and pass of Steam to link it to GOG when I did it. Cant recall now. You'd think all GOG would need is your profile link like other sites do that show your library on them.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:47 pm hmmm..I thought I had to login with my name and pass of Steam to link it to GOG when I did it.
I haven't linked anything with GOG, but I imagine in this instance you had to authenticate to Steam to authorise it to give GOG access to the API.
I no longer post here.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Paradroid wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:53 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:47 pm hmmm..I thought I had to login with my name and pass of Steam to link it to GOG when I did it.
I haven't linked anything with GOG, but I imagine in this instance you had to authenticate to Steam to authorise it to give GOG access to the API.
that's really all it is. you still need the launchers for each service installed and authenticated in order to actually install the titles from GOG Galaxy - you just don't need them running all the time (and you don't need them installed at all if you just want to see what titles you own on every platform).
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Just installed openxcom. What a major change. Pretty cool. Have to have the originals and then play from the openxcom program but it works. :wink:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

KOTOR 2 came out for mobile yesterday. It plays surprisingly well on iPad, and it’ll be nice to have something I can play on a device my kids aren’t using during their tech time. Been itching for a Star Wars game anyways.

Even better, the developers of the Total Restoration mod made it available to download for iOS. It was super easy to install and i was able to get through the first hour or so last night. It’s a little quirky (it still lists keyboard commands like “press space to continue”) but is worth it for the bug fixes and restored content.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I'm playing Mars Rover Mechanic. It's somewhat charming. It's a bit like Car Mechanic in that you need to fix a problem, but you aren't told what it is. They did a decent job simplifying the rover into common parts, but there seem to be some parts that don't belong to existing rovers, and there doesn't seem to be a sandbox mode...
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Monitoring IsThereAnyDeal.com from time to time can reveal some interesting entries in the world of video games. Like say, a game simply called HIDE THE PORN.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Somewhat on topic:

For the last few months my computer (an i7 6700k skylake with an RTX 2060) has been atrocious when it comes to gaming. Cut scenes stuttered, I had frequent hitching when playing, long load times, etc.. I was all set to rebuild my computer over the holidays and was backing everything up in preparation when I decided to do one final scouring of everything. I noticed after looking at a bunch of other things that my power mode was set to Power Saver. I switched it back to Balanced (which is what I had I thought) and viola, I'm back to full speed, baby! Night and day difference. It was obviously throttling down my CPU and other things. I'm now happily a PC gamer again. :wub:
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Even the original Crysis has bugged out on me. I need to clear a dock so vtols can land. But theres one helicopter thats bugged. Its SOOOoooo high I cant see it. Earlier I could barely see it as it streamed fire at me but now I just see the dot on the map. The game wont continue with it alive. Ive reloaded and restarted. Guess this may be the end for the game.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Restart the level. Or cheat.
It's almost as if people are the problem.