Census 2020

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Census 2020

Post by Isgrimnur »

NPR
The U.S. Supreme Court dodged a ruling on whether President Trump can exclude undocumented immigrants from a key census count. The opinion said the case was "riddled with contingencies and speculation that impede judicial review."

"At the end of the day, the standing and ripeness inquiries both lead to the conclusion that judicial resolution of this" case is "premature," the justices wrote.

The decision leaves open the possibility for Trump to try to remove some undocumented immigrants from a key census count, but immigrant rights advocates warned Friday that they would sue.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

This Court is the worst investment Trump ever made - and given his history, that's saying something.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I thought I read somewhere (probably in the last page but I'm too lazy to check) that the census numbers had been delayed and wouldn't be out until Biden was inaugurated. So couldn't he just them have them count everyone?
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

The data is starting to trickle out in waves of hot takes. The biggest "shock" that'll lead to convulsions is that the White population dropped for the first time since 1790. White hate is going to play that up as a lie or propaganda.

Another note is that population grew fastest in cities. NYC had a huge population jump dashing the theory that people fled their to get away from the progressives ruining the city. Instead they probably just bought extra houses out in the 'burbs.

Also, more than 50% of counties saw population decline. Due to our badly designed political system we are heading towards power concentrating in fewer and fewer hands (as predicted for years). In other words, our problems are about to get worse. Especially with Republicans openly talking about the joys of gerrymandering.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I saw that the "white" demographic actuals were ~2% lower than the estimates. I am confident that is going to be spun up into trouble.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:50 pm Yeah, I saw that the "white" demographic actuals were ~2% lower than the estimates. I am confident that is going to be spun up into trouble.
I think we are overdue for some Census truthers. 'They took our question away to "replace us"'. In any case, Tucker Carlson is going to Goebbels the shit out of this.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Freep
Of Michigan's 83 counties, 50 lost residents over the 10-year period.

And no counties lost residents at higher rates than ones in the Upper Peninsula.
Though the above five counties shrank the most in percentage terms, none of them was tops in Michigan for losing the most residents.

That distinction goes to Wayne County, which lost just over 27,000 residents when its population shrank 1.5%. Next was Genesee County, which lost close to 20,000 residents, the data show.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I wonder how accurately they accounted for the millions that would not come to the door since we were in the middle of a pandemic.

Just anecdotally I would take these results with a grain of salt (talking about door to door numbers only), and I bet this census will be one they look at 10 years from now and just shake their heads at how off it was.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

malchior wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:47 pm The data is starting to trickle out in waves of hot takes. The biggest "shock" that'll lead to convulsions is that the White population dropped for the first time since 1790. White hate is going to play that up as a lie or propaganda.

Another note is that population grew fastest in cities. NYC had a huge population jump dashing the theory that people fled their to get away from the progressives ruining the city. Instead they probably just bought extra houses out in the 'burbs.

Also, more than 50% of counties saw population decline. Due to our badly designed political system we are heading towards power concentrating in fewer and fewer hands (as predicted for years). In other words, our problems are about to get worse. Especially with Republicans openly talking about the joys of gerrymandering.
Well to be fair over the last year a ton of people have fled NYC, but that was because of something that happened. Not sure what? All those people have transplanted into my area and clogging up FB with questions like. What is a well pump? I left my garbage out and something dragged it around the corner. What do you think it was? (That's an actual one. ;)) The plumbers and handymen have to be making A KILLING right now.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NPR
The 2020 census continued a longstanding trend of undercounting Black people, Latinos and Native Americans, while overcounting people who identified as white and not Latino, according to estimates from a report the U.S. Census Bureau released Thursday.

Latinos were left out of the 2020 census at more than three times the rate of a decade earlier.

Among Native Americans living on reservations and Black people, the net undercount rates were numerically higher but not statistically different from the 2010 rates.
Still, the bureau said previously that it believes the census results are "fit to use" for reallocating each state's share of congressional seats and Electoral College votes, as well as redrawing voting districts.