Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Jeff V »

Elevated Perspective Imperial Oat IPA by Humble Forager, Waunakee, WI. A touch sweet, which thankfully covers up the dirt flavors so prevalent in DDH beers (oh which this is). Hazy, but the hop trio used (galaxy, citra, nelson sauvin) combine for a muted citrus flavor. 8% is slightly week for a beer that presumes to be imperial, but in general a nice beer for a near-record warm November day.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Mannbeaverwolf Imperial Milk Stout by Lil' Beaver Brewery, Bloomington, IL; Listermann Brewing Co., Cincinnati, OH; and Wolf's Ridge Brewing Co., Columbus, OH. I see Untappd has this categotized as a pastry beer. I can buy that, because holy hell is this beer a sugar bomb. If any beer needed to come with a shot of insulin on the side, it's this one. 11.4% ABV would otherwise put this in the session beer category, but it's probably best to have as a breakfast beer. I do have to admit, though, the South Park-style toons on the can (along with the name, a take off of their Manbearpig episode) is what attracted my attention.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Factory Team DIPA by Solemn Oath Brewing Co., Naperville, IL and Hop Butcher for the World, Darien, IL. A nicely flavored, somewhat light NEDIPA (7.75%). I was bike riding though and it behooved me to keep it light.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Voltunus DIPA by Riverlands Brewing Co., St. Charles, IL. A 4-hop blend that gives a very mangoey vibe. I tend to like mangoes, even though no mangoes were sacrificed to make this beverage. 8% ABV is ok; another winner for an Indian Summer day.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:30 pm So while at Flight today, I asked the boss if he had any big dopplebocks...I really miss Autumnal Fire this time of year. He laughed and pointed to a batch of small bottles....200 ml of a 30% ABV dopplebock! I wondered what sort of wizardry created such a thing; I remember the Dogfishheadguy talking about how incredible difficult it was to brew a beer above 20% because the booze kills off the yeast. The strongest I ever had was 23% Eggenbacher Urbach 23 out of Austria back in the '80's. For this 30% (German) beer, it cost $36 for that tiny bottle. He said he had one that is a whopping 56% but sells for $300 per bottle.

Methinks I know what I'll be celebrating with if an interview I have next week pans out...
They freeze off the water to concentrate the alcohol.
mori

Post by mori »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:01 pm Elevated Perspective Imperial Oat IPA by Humble Forager, Waunakee, WI. A touch sweet, which thankfully covers up the dirt flavors so prevalent in DDH beers (oh which this is). Hazy, but the hop trio used (galaxy, citra, nelson sauvin) combine for a muted citrus flavor. 8% is slightly week for a beer that presumes to be imperial, but in general a nice beer for a near-record warm November day.
Sorry Jeff V for quoting you so much today. Humble Forager is the sister company of a brewery in my home city of Rochester MN called Forager Brewing. The most overrated brewery in the state. They did brew great beer a few years ago, but they got aboard the hazy train and it has been shite ever since. Hazy IPAs, fruited kettle sours, and pastry stouts is all they do now. Total shite. Now they are charging a very inflated premium for their contract brewed cans. Even pimping on Tavour. Don't waste your money.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Thanks mori for both comments. I learned something today!

Tamaki Hazy IPA made with New Zealand Hops by Riverlands Brewery, St. Charles, IL. A NEIPA made with nelson sauvin and motueka hops, neither which make for a memorable flavor. It's ok, fine to drink on the cheap, I think the pounder lasted about 2 minutes though without flavor to savor. 7.4% is pretty good for a beer that doesn't presume to be anything but a single IPA.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Drinking with Giants West Coast IPA by Obscurity Brewing, Elburn, IL. Urine colored, clear, and rather dry with a quickly vanishing flavor, there is a rather detached bitterness (seems unconnected to the beer's flavor). 7.5% ABV is a good number for a single.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Packy NEIPA by Urban Renewal Brewery, Chicago. The color of yeast-infected urine, this beer has a grapefruity base with a funk punch finish. Not much payoff at 6.4%, I'll not be coming back for seconds on this one.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Packy NEIPA by Urban Renewal Brewery, Chicago. The color of yeast-infected urine, this beer has a grapefruity base with a funk punch finish. Not much payoff at 6.4%, I'll not be coming back for seconds on this one.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Pride Piper NEIPA by 93 Octane Brewery, St. Charles, IL. Nothing high octane about this largely forgettable NEIPA. 6.5% ABV brings little excitement -- the flavor is fine (tart grapefruit), but its what many have done before.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Today I stopped in Binny's fully expecting to find Celebration Ale and lo there is was, a big pile of it. Just opened the first of what's sure to be many in the coming months, and the first thing that struck me was damn, it's been a long time since I've last had beer in a bottle!
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Caduceus Wino DIPA by Black Lung Brewing Co., Waukegan, IL. Made with sauvignon blanc grapes, this one has almost no beer flavor, more like a winey grape juice. At only 8%, actual wine might have helped. Never been into the wine cooler thing, but this probably falls into that category.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Star Room NEIPA by Whisky Hill Brewery, Westmont, IL. Not a DIPA, but a richly flavored beer evoking flavors of DIPAs past. Nicely caramel colored. not fruity at all. Delicious beer, 7.2% ABV, the rich flavor is conducive to slow sipping.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Foreign Chemistry by Foreign Exchange Brewing and Church Street Brewing Co., Itasca, IL. Didn't plan on having this tonight, but a massive pickup truck was blocking the view from the left as I was leaving Flight's parking lot, causing a short stop that manage to rupture the can. About 4 oz (out of 16) decorated the inside of the car before I could get things under control. The flavor of this hazy beer is nice and complex, slight hint of apricots but no cloying fruitiness. The only real problem is the label: they call this a "Double Imperial IPA." Well now, Imperial IPAs are typically in the 9-11% range, so double...? Certainly not 7.5%...seems to be missing a 1 or something. At least if you're going to call it a "double imperial." But then it probably would have cost a lot more and been out of my budget. So I'd have replaced it with something else. Possibly something with a more robust can.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

In simplest terms, a double or imperial IPA — they're actually the same thing — is an IPA kicked up a notch. The Brewer's Association defines an Imperial IPA as an IPA with color that is straw to medium amber, 6.0%-8.4% alcohol
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:09 pm
In simplest terms, a double or imperial IPA — they're actually the same thing — is an IPA kicked up a notch. The Brewer's Association defines an Imperial IPA as an IPA with color that is straw to medium amber, 6.0%-8.4% alcohol
But this is characterized as a "Double Imperial." I would expect more from such a beast. Take an Imperial and double it.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

When I was there last week, they had a triple IPA on tap -- one of the best beers I ever had was a Bell's Triple at a beer festival in Chicago, the only time they said the beer ever left Michigan. Never saw it for sale in Michigan. I've had a few other triples over the years, mostly they are expensive bombers outside of my price range. However, last week was a quick run as we were celebrating wife's birthday in a hotel across the parking lot, so I couldn't stay and have one. Today I had the time, the beer was no longer available and their menu seemed to be loaded with pastry beers (ugh) so I just picked up 4 for carry out.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:20 pm one of the best beers I ever had was a Bell's Triple at a beer festival in Chicago
That wasn't a triple IPA though. THAT beer is...SCREEEEAAAAMMMM...a Belgian style!

You HATE Belgian styles!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Corporate Meeting DIPA by Phase Three Brewing Co., Lake Zurich, IL. Hazy, slightly funky undefined citrus. All in all, weak flavor for a DIPA. 7.8% ABV is okay, but I'll not bother with this one again.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Z-Corn wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:41 pm
Jeff V wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:20 pm one of the best beers I ever had was a Bell's Triple at a beer festival in Chicago
That wasn't a triple IPA though. THAT beer is...SCREEEEAAAAMMMM...a Belgian style!

You HATE Belgian styles!
Nope, it was a Triple IPA (this was more than a decade ago), not a whiff of Flemish urine in the tasting glass. I do know the difference between a triple IPA and a Belgian Trippel.

That said though, the only Belgian beers I can stomach are trippels or quads. They have a heavier gravity to them, not fizzy with their objectionable yeast forward.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Test Flight Navigator Dopplebock by Oswego Brewing Co., Oswego, IL and Flight Bottle Shop, Yorkville, IL. A few weeks ago I was looking for a decent dopplebock, while the boss at Flight referred me to a pretty good Metal Monkey dopplebock, he did mention they were coming out with their own collaboration with OBC. They must have noticed the dearth of options in this excellent fall seasonal style.

The beer is the color of cola, and kind of on the sweet side. The hops are more forward than typical for this style, making it a little tangy. The Metal Monkey beer on the other hand was rather weakly flavored, maybe equal pours of each in the same glass would make a perfect balance. 8% ABV is spot on for the style; it was reasonably priced so I might pick this up again on my next visit.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:16 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:09 pm
But this is characterized as a "Double Imperial." I would expect more from such a beast. Take an Imperial and double it.
Are you sure about that? I think the double refers to the dry-hopping, not the Imperial.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:10 pm
Are you sure about that? I think the double refers to the dry-hopping, not the Imperial.
[/quote]

I'm sure that is what was printed on the label.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:12 pm Today I stopped in Binny's fully expecting to find Celebration Ale and lo there is was, a big pile of it. Just opened the first of what's sure to be many in the coming months, and the first thing that struck me was damn, it's been a long time since I've last had beer in a bottle!
I noticed that in an out of town grocery store during the past week. So my next trip to a local store will involve a search for some.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Scuzz wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:09 pm
Jeff V wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:12 pm Today I stopped in Binny's fully expecting to find Celebration Ale and lo there is was, a big pile of it. Just opened the first of what's sure to be many in the coming months, and the first thing that struck me was damn, it's been a long time since I've last had beer in a bottle!
I noticed that in an out of town grocery store during the past week. So my next trip to a local store will involve a search for some.
Celebration is still an annual treat, even if it does mean buying bottles.

I used to be exclusively a bottle baby and swore I'd never buy cans, because only swill was sold that way. Now I only ever buy cans. Ultimately it's only packaging, but cans are a more convenient package.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Kraken wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:25 pm
Scuzz wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:09 pm
Celebration is still an annual treat, even if it does mean buying bottles.

I used to be exclusively a bottle baby and swore I'd never buy cans, because only swill was sold that way. Now I only ever buy cans. Ultimately it's only packaging, but cans are a more convenient package.
I was just talking to a friend the other day and we both agreed with that statement. The return of cans is a great thing.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I also like that some of the breweries like Founders and Goose Island are packaging 15-can packs. In the case of Goose Island, the 15 can packs are the same price as 12 bottles.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Avenged by Vikings NEIPA by Solemn Oath Brewery, Naperville, IL. Seems it's been awhile since I last had something new from this brewery. Solemn Oath is known for competent if unexciting beers, and this is no different. Urine colored, with only the slightest hint of fruitiness (think grapefruit pith). 7% is okay for something not presuming to be a double, which this doesn't. Meh.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

For such a small state, Vermont sure punches above its weight in the beerosphere. Lawson's Sip of Sunshine is just one of the best beers there is. My packie has a one 4-pack limit and is usually sold out, so I always feel lucky to find it.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

For Thanksgiving, Graft Cider's Lake Spirit, a cherry cranberry mead. Very good.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

First ale I've had in a while. Pretty good and what I expected from a strong Scottish ale. I was a little worried when I read "with characteristics of peat smoke" in the blurb, fearing a rauchbier experience. But this was not the case.

Beam Me Up, Grand River Brewing

Enlarge Image

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I should add some dark beers into my winter rotation. It's hard to motivate when November highs are still in the 50s and 60s. Winter is late.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So this weekend a supermarket chain has Goose Island beers on sale for $11/15 pk (must buy 2). I figured I'd be getting their serviceable IPA but was pleasamtly surprised to see two new offerings.

Guava Squad is a DDH IPA that surprisingly isn't a dirt beer. Mildly fruity (guava isn't a strong flavor in any case), it is very light, a touch fizzy, and at 6.0% ABV is a notch ahead of their standard IPA. Not sure I'd buy another box, but maybe I would in the summer. It's not much of a winter beer.

Xmas Ale is the other. Dark caramel colored, it has a pretty nice flavor. I can't really identify a spice mix (which would be typical for an Xmas ale). it comes across as a hoppy bock. At 7.5% ABV, it's a good value at $11/15.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So damn, went grocery shopping yesterday, hoping to pick up a couple of more 15-packs of the Goose Island Xmas IPA, and both stores I went to were sold out. I guess I'm not the only one who found it an excellent value at $11/15. I'm ok this week, I guess next week I'll have to go pack to Celebration Ale.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kraken wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:09 am For such a small state, Vermont sure punches above its weight in the beerosphere. Lawson's Sip of Sunshine is just one of the best beers there is. My packie has a one 4-pack limit and is usually sold out, so I always feel lucky to find it.
I had some of that in October. What a great beer.

Also have quite a bit of beer from Frost in my fridge right now.
Hodor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Our Special Ale, Anchor Brewing, San Francisco, CA. Almost passed on it this year, but I was bummed the Goose Island Xmas IPA made such a brief appearance. I still had some stock, so I could afford to spend the beer budget this week on just a six pack, and Anchor's holiday beer is as much a seasonal tradition as anything else I do this time of year. Only twice in my adult life have I missed it, once because it flew off the shelves phenomenally fast that year, and once because I was in the Philippines.

This ale is more like a spiced porter, perhaps a touch lighter. Every year, the spice mix is a little different. It's the kind of beer that goes well sitting on the couch, maybe under a blanket or sweater, watching something festive with the Xmas tree twinkling and the smell of pine in the air.

Or it goes equally as well in a cold basement, typing on the computer on one screen with a Civ game going on the other, with the smell of cat box in the air. Whatever, it's good. 7.0% will take a few to get your ho-ho-ho on.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I bought a 6 pack of these yesterday and while it is probably the hoppiest beer I have had in a while I really liked it. A very different hop/taste profile. Not fruity and not terribly bitter.

Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Scuzz wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:32 pm I bought a 6 pack of these yesterday and while it is probably the hoppiest beer I have had in a while I really liked it. A very different hop/taste profile. Not fruity and not terribly bitter.

Tell me more. I saw this the other day and assumed it was hazy. What are the hop flavors? Piney/citrusy, earthy/floral?
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:45 pm
Scuzz wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:32 pm I bought a 6 pack of these yesterday and while it is probably the hoppiest beer I have had in a while I really liked it. A very different hop/taste profile. Not fruity and not terribly bitter.

Tell me more. I saw this the other day and assumed it was hazy. What are the hop flavors? Piney/citrusy, earthy/floral?
Piney, a very piney finish. But balanced as well. Very different from much of what I have been drinking lately, I also read somewhere that money from sales is going to some charity.
Black Lives Matter