2020 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

JCC

Re: 2020 NCAA Football Thread

Post by JCC »

It's been a long time since I have been this disinterested in a college football season. I just haven't been able to get into it. I hope the next time a "normal" season is played (next year... maybe?!) I get back into it. It's pretty much the only sport left I watch.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:43 pm As much as I'd love to see OSU get screwed over and as fun of a story as Indiana is, I can't get upset about the Big Ten deciding to change the rules here. OSU is clearly the best team in the Big Ten East (which is truly awful outside of OSU and IU). OSU probably needs the Big Ten championship to get consideration for the playoff given that they've only played one decent team this year so far (IU).
I agree. I would always rather have the four best teams as opposed to the four most deserving teams, though in most cases they are one and the same. And, at least at the moment, Ohio State looks to clearly be one of the four best teams. In fact, the top four in the playoff right now look like maybe the best top four yet rather than the normal three dominant teams plus one really good team that we usually see.

And while this is a weird year for sports, I'm actually enjoying the novelty of it all.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Although it’s ultimately meaningless, it is awfully nice to ruin CU’s season. :twisted:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

That's the most 2020 play I've seen.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

UNC put an absolute whooping on Miami today. We had over 540 yards rushing, which I believe set an FBS record. One RB had over 300 yards and another had over 200.

Assuming that bumps us over Miami in the rankings, I guess what we need to hope for is for Clemson to edge ND in a close game so both teams make the playoffs. If that happens, UNC will be going to the Orange Bowl.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:46 pm We had over 540 yards rushing, which I believe set an FBS record.
Nope, FBS record is 768 yards. Oklahoma did it against Kansas State in 1988. Oddly difficult to track that stat down, finally found it at the NCAA site here (page 27).

And condolences to Pyper, I was really hoping the Bruins could pull that one out tonight. Watching Leinert and Bush's smug mugs guaranteeing victory on the Utah/CU pre-game made me want to punch my screen.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Well Pyperkub, we had it, and then we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Oh well, at least an LA team will be in the Pac 12 championship game. I can't stand Leinert, he's elitist to the end. I wish they used someone else, but I understand that a college HOF'er has legit chops. Reggie Bush is a different story, I'm a fan :)
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Skinypupy wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:46 pm We had over 540 yards rushing, which I believe set an FBS record.
Nope, FBS record is 768 yards. Oklahoma did it against Kansas State in 1988. Oddly difficult to track that stat down, finally found it at the NCAA site here (page 27).
Whoops. What I meant was it was an FBS record for combined rushing yards by two RBs.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:Although it’s ultimately meaningless, it is awfully nice to ruin CU’s season. :twisted:
Technically, their season was ruined when Landman went out. That completely changed the game.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lorini wrote:Well Pyperkub, we had it, and then we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Oh well, at least an LA team will be in the Pac 12 championship game. I can't stand Leinert, he's elitist to the end. I wish they used someone else, but I understand that a college HOF'er has legit chops. Reggie Bush is a different story, I'm a fan :)
It was a fun game. Frustrating to see us come so close, but we made too many mistakes (including coaching decisions) . We could have been the better team, but aren't quite there yet.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

These guys are so good at what they do. Playoffs ending her relationship with Florida.
SEC Shorts

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Washington was just declared ineligible for the P12 title game due to COVID protocols.

Oregon moves up to take their spot.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Utah announced this morning they they would be turning down any potential bowl invites and calling it a season after tomorrow's game. I know quite a few other teams have done the same, and I expect we'll see this trend accelerate for most (all?) of the smaller bowl games.

Also, Notre Dame is threatening not to play in the CFP if families aren't allowed to attend the games.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:47 pm Utah announced this morning they they would be turning down any potential bowl invites and calling it a season after tomorrow's game. I know quite a few other teams have done the same, and I expect we'll see this trend accelerate for most (all?) of the smaller bowl games.

Also, Notre Dame is threatening not to play in the CFP if families aren't allowed to attend the games.
Tone-deaf as usual from ND.

"I'm not sure we'll play in the playoffs if the parents can't be there," Kelly said. "Why would we play if you can't have families at the game? If you can't have families at bowl games, why would you go to a game where your families can't be part of it? What's the sense of playing a game in an area of the country where nobody can be part of it?"
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:57 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:47 pm Utah announced this morning they they would be turning down any potential bowl invites and calling it a season after tomorrow's game. I know quite a few other teams have done the same, and I expect we'll see this trend accelerate for most (all?) of the smaller bowl games.

Tone-deaf as usual from ND.

"I'm not sure we'll play in the playoffs if the parents can't be there," Kelly said. "Why would we play if you can't have families at the game? If you can't have families at bowl games, why would you go to a game where your families can't be part of it? What's the sense of playing a game in an area of the country where nobody can be part of it?"
Translation: If we lose to Clemson we may be #4 and playing Alabama in the first round...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I can't imagine that ND would actually turn down an opportunity to play in the playoffs if invited. Isn't the potential windfall for the school pretty large? Seems like bluster from Kelly to me.

In any case, I'm hoping that Clemson wins a close one tomorrow. If that happens and both Clemson and ND get an invite to the playoffs, UNC would be invited to the Orange Bowl. Would be the first "major" bowl for NC since the 40s....
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

I hate Notre Dame and don't like Brian Kelly but I completely support what he is saying. Athletes playing bowls can't go home for Christmas, so they haven't seen their families for months. If CA doesn't remove their current restrictions to allow the families of the players to attend the game, then I agree the Rose Bowl should be played elsewhere this year. (It's not like this is unprecedented.)

I do think a lot of teams will opt out of bowls. Especially when you consider the possibility of you keep your players on campus and they skip Xmas with their families and then the opponent cancels the game due to Covid.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Dumb question. Does the winner of the Pac 12 championship play in the Rose Bowl?
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

JCC wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:00 pm I hate Notre Dame and don't like Brian Kelly but I completely support what he is saying. Athletes playing bowls can't go home for Christmas, so they haven't seen their families for months. If CA doesn't remove their current restrictions to allow the families of the players to attend the game, then I agree the Rose Bowl should be played elsewhere this year. (It's not like this is unprecedented.)

I do think a lot of teams will opt out of bowls. Especially when you consider the possibility of you keep your players on campus and they skip Xmas with their families and then the opponent cancels the game due to Covid.
They'd have to get permission from a lot of folks for that, doubt it's happening. On the other hand, the Rose Bowl is certainly big enough to let families watch without contact from other families.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

Lorini wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:05 pm Dumb question. Does the winner of the Pac 12 championship play in the Rose Bowl?
No, this year the Rose Bowl is the site of a playoff game.
Black Lives Matter

JCC

Post by JCC »

Lorini wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:06 pm
They'd have to get permission from a lot of folks for that, doubt it's happening. On the other hand, the Rose Bowl is certainly big enough to let families watch without contact from other families.
Not really. The conferences could agree to move the game. While in theory the 10 conferences run it, if the power 5 decided to move one playoff game then it would be moved. Basically, California should make an exception to their current law of no gatherings of any kind since it would be trivial to keep the families of the players socially distanced and safe. And if CA doesn't then the game should be moved - particularly since it's likely some or all players will refuse to play in it under those circumstances. And as I said before the Rose Bowl (proper) has been played outside of CA before.
Black Lives Matter

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

JCC wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:56 pm
Lorini wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:06 pm
Not really. The conferences could agree to move the game. While in theory the 10 conferences run it, if the power 5 decided to move one playoff game then it would be moved. Basically, California should make an exception to their current law of no gatherings of any kind since it would be trivial to keep the families of the players socially distanced and safe. And if CA doesn't then the game should be moved - particularly since it's likely some or all players will refuse to play in it under those circumstances. And as I said before the Rose Bowl (proper) has been played outside of CA before.
They have a contract with the city of Pasadena, California to host a game there on January 1, so they'd have to do something about that contract.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

I highly doubt that Pasadena would take any action on this. It's probably a losing proposition for them to host the game without fans in attendance. Either way, I am sure the CFB powers and them would come up with some arrangement.
Black Lives Matter

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

JCC wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:03 pm I highly doubt that Pasadena would take any action on this. It's probably a losing proposition for them to host the game without fans in attendance. Either way, I am sure the CFB powers and them would come up with some arrangement.
I actually could find out, but I suspect there's a stipend they have to pay regardless of how many people show up (used to live there, have a number of Rose Bowl contacts).
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Looks like the Rose Bowl tried to get an exemption this week to allow a few hundred fans and were denied. I'd be pretty surprised if the playoff game isn't moved. But we'll see....

Story
Black Lives Matter

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Well Notre Dame most certainly did not do their part. I hope they still get in the playoffs, not because I think they’re good enough (I don’t), but because it’ll mean UNC goes to the Orange Bowl.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

JCC wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:44 pm Looks like the Rose Bowl tried to get an exemption this week to allow a few hundred fans and were denied. I'd be pretty surprised if the playoff game isn't moved. But we'll see....

Story
With 0% ICU capacity, there's no way in hell Pasadena would allow that. Too bad it wasn't in October, we were much better off then. Or if it would be in the late spring, we'll be much better off then. Now is just a really bad time to make exemptions.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I actually turned off the Utah game today when they were down 28-7 to Wazzu at halftime. It was one of the worst halves of Utah football I've ever seen, and I figured my day would be better spent doing yardwork than watching a trainwreck.

Imagine my surprise when I got the ESPN alert that Utah scored 38 unanswered points in the 2nd half and won 45-28. Good way to end a weird season, I suppose. Very excited about Ty Jordan, the true freshman RB who ripped off three straight 150 yard games to close out the season. Gonna need a QB though, as Jake Bentley (transfer from South Carolina) was simply awful. Today's comeback only happened after he got pulled.
JCC wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:44 pm Looks like the Rose Bowl tried to get an exemption this week to allow a few hundred fans and were denied. I'd be pretty surprised if the playoff game isn't moved. But we'll see....

Story
Moved to Dallas
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

They moved it but kept the Rose Bowl as part of the name.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Lorini wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:53 pm

Story
With 0% ICU capacity, there's no way in hell Pasadena would allow that. Too bad it wasn't in October, we were much better off then. Or if it would be in the late spring, we'll be much better off then. Now is just a really bad time to make exemptions.
Yea, it depends on the city or county. The Sf 49ers will not play in Santa Clara again this season because of local rules. It isn't the state so much as he county or city.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Just to be clear, Pasadena has its own health department that operates independently of Los Angeles County's health department, so it was their decision and not the county's.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

Lorini wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:41 am They moved it but kept the Rose Bowl as part of the name.
Yes, and as I noted the Rose Bowl has been played outside of Pasadena before (in Durham, NC).
Black Lives Matter

Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Tons of rumors flying this morning about recruiting violations at Tennessee. Three coaches and two players not allowed to play and coach yesterday sounds like this is legit.

Jeremy Pruitt is a tone deaf idiot that I hope goes down with this. I don't recognize my beloved Tennessee Volunteers any longer. Total embarrassment.

Good thing we have a basketball team that is a favorite to win the SEC and will be stacked even better next year.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Klatt made a very interesting observation this morning.

The CFP has driven a massive gap between the TOP of CFB and the rest...The only teams to have won CFP games are Alabama - Ohio State - LSU - Georgia - Clemson - Oregon...The 2021 recruiting rankings are as follows Alabama - Ohio State - LSU - Georgia - Clemson - Oregon
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Changing it to an 8 team playoff would help with that only if the committee didn't stick to the same teams when it came to picking the 8 participants. But I don't know if you can blame the CFP for the success those teams are having. Over the last few years a select few teams have dominated. Plain and simple.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:I actually turned off the Utah game today when they were down 28-7 to Wazzu at halftime. It was one of the worst halves of Utah football I've ever seen, and I figured my day would be better spent doing yardwork than watching a trainwreck.

Imagine my surprise when I got the ESPN alert that Utah scored 38 unanswered points in the 2nd half and won 45-28. Good way to end a weird season, I suppose. Very excited about Ty Jordan, the true freshman RB who ripped off three straight 150 yard games to close out the season. Gonna need a QB though, as Jake Bentley (transfer from South Carolina) was simply awful. Today's comeback only happened after he got pulled.

Story
Moved to Dallas
UCLA scored 31 straight with our backup qb and rb... and then choked it away. :(

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Arkansas had a really bad team this year (3-7) yet is going to a bowl game. Are the rest of collage football bowl games this bad?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:31 am Arkansas had a really bad team this year (3-7) yet is going to a bowl game. Are the rest of collage football bowl games this bad?
I think that is the Armed Forces Bowl. Army went 9-2 and is not going to a bowl. How can Army not be in a bowl called the Armed Forces Bowl?
Black Lives Matter