2020 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: 2020 NCAA Football Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

Following the 2013 football season, the Armed Forces Bowl signed multi-year agreements with the American Athletic Conference (The American), Big Ten Conference, Big 12 Conference, Mountain West Conference, Army and Navy to set bowl match-ups for the next six seasons (Navy would later join The American)
The Big Lead
Army went 9-2 this season and was outstanding. The team's two losses came against No. 8 Cincinnati and Tulane. Despite that stellar season, the Black Knights won't be going to a bowl game because college football is fundamentally broken.

Army was guaranteed a spot in the Independence Bowl, but on Sunday that game was canceled. Due to the fact that major conferences have guaranteed bowl tie-ins and the NCAA wiped off record requirements for bowl games, many teams with records below .500 are taking their bids. As a result, five SEC teams with losing records going to bowls but Army isn't.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

disarm

Post by disarm »

The CFP system is broken, and I think this year really shows it. Indiana is currently #7 after having a great 7-1 season with a couple big wins, and one loss to OSU by a single touchdown. Their reward for a breakout season? A second-tier bowl game on January 2nd against Ole Miss...a team that finished with a losing season (4-5).
Last edited by disarm on Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

disarm wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:30 am The CFP system is broken, and I think this year really shows it. Indiana is currently #7 after having a great season with a couple big wins, and one loss to OSU by a single touchdown. Their reward for a breakout season? A second-tier bowl game on January 2nd against Ole Miss...a team that finished with a losing season (4-5).
While I don't disagree that it's fundamentally broken, more of this year's clusterfuck is due to the virus and not the system itself.

With bowl games being cancelled and many teams simply opting out altogether, it's simply a free-for-all with everyone except the 4 CFP teams just taking taking whatever they can get.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Scuzz wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:28 pm Changing it to an 8 team playoff would help with that only if the committee didn't stick to the same teams when it came to picking the 8 participants. But I don't know if you can blame the CFP for the success those teams are having. Over the last few years a select few teams have dominated. Plain and simple.
And that's nothing new for college football. Just look at Bud Wilkinson's Oklahoma teams, Bear Bryant's Alabama, Tom Osborne and Nebraska or Bobby Bowden's Florida State. College Football has a very different dynamic than Pro Football. In the Pro's, winning titles makes it that much harder to win them in the future thanks to all your players wanting more money, your terrible draft position, etc. But in College Football winning titles makes it that much easier to win more titles in the future as you'll be able to attract better and better players. You're never going to see NFL-style parity in College Football
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Also... :lol:

While a whole bunch of winning teams in other conferences opted out, Arkansas, Tennessee, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Mississippi State will be playing in bowls with a combined record of 19-40. The SEC is without shame.
EDIT: My general opinion of Dabo Swinney continues to sink lower.

Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Why is the SEC without shame? Other teams don't want to play in Bowl Games, and SEC teams do, so they're taking spots other teams turned down. What's wrong with that?

I must be missing something...
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I just thought it spoke to the absurdity of 2020. :shrug:
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

OK, I was just wondering why the twitterhead you posted said "The SEC is without shame"?

Just another gratuitous shot at everybody's favorite conference, I guess.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Apollo wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:52 pm Why is the SEC without shame? Other teams don't want to play in Bowl Games, and SEC teams do, so they're taking spots other teams turned down. What's wrong with that?

I must be missing something...
I do think for the SEC football (and the money that surrounds it) is more important than the health of their players. But I will also agree that the SEC culture does that, and the players and families buy into it.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

My old man loves Ohio State. My brother-in-law loves South Carolina. I attended NC State. I have both nature and nurture reasons to hate Clemson - and I certainly do. But, Dabo Swinney's trolling of Ohio State by voting them so low and his joke about reviewing their game film ahead of their bowl (paraphrasing: "It won't take long. They only played 6 games.") is absolutely hilarious and fantastic taunting. Tip of the hat to the 2nd best coach in CFB today.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

JCC wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:35 pm My old man loves Ohio State. My brother-in-law loves South Carolina. I attended NC State. I have both nature and nurture reasons to hate Clemson - and I certainly do. But, Dabo Swinney's trolling of Ohio State by voting them so low and his joke about reviewing their game film ahead of their bowl (paraphrasing: "It won't take long. They only played 6 games.") is absolutely hilarious and fantastic taunting. Tip of the hat to the 2nd best coach in CFB today.
Recent history suggests best (Winning record vs. Alabama in cfp games, as I recall).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Apollo wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:03 pm OK, I was just wondering why the twitterhead you posted said "The SEC is without shame"?

Why did any of those teams get a bowl game before 9-2 Army? There really is no shame in the SEC.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Get rid of the conference tie-ins.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:29 pm Get rid of the conference tie-ins.
I agree. Army did'n't get in because of all the conference tie-ins. Tenn just lost their bowl invite due to covid. Wonder if that is a chance for Army
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:09 pm
Apollo wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:03 pm OK, I was just wondering why the twitterhead you posted said "The SEC is without shame"?

Why did any of those teams get a bowl game before 9-2 Army? There really is no shame in the SEC.
Actually, if you look into the facts of the issue, the SEC did nothing to hurt Army. In fact, Army's head coach praised the SEC and sorta blamed...The Pac 12.

From ESPN:

"Monken said he was concerned when Pac-12 teams began opting out of bowl season late last week. But he still thought Army would find an opponent for the Independence Bowl, which has been played in 44 consecutive years.

"The bottom line is there were enough people who kept saying, 'No, we don't want to play Army, we don't want to play Army,'" Monken said. "And I'm sure they don't want to have one week to get ready for the option [offense] or whatever, but our players, we've got guys on our team that wouldn't be invited as walk-ons to the teams we're getting ready to play. We've got guys from California, they didn't have a Pac-12 walk-on offer, and they are starting for us."

Monken praised SEC commissioner Greg Sankey for the league having 12 of 14 teams participating in bowls, even several, such as South Carolina and Mississippi State, with losing records. He noted that several teams seemed intent on participating in the postseason until losing games this past weekend.

"USC, a week ago, was saying, 'We deserve to be in the College Football Playoff if we go undefeated and win the Pac-12 championship,'" Monken said. "And the Pac-12 was saying, 'An undefeated Pac-12 team deserves to be considered.' So they go to the Pac-12 championship against Oregon and lose and they go from wanting to go to the College Football Playoff to not wanting to play at all? I don't get it. Boise State opted out today. They lost their championship game yesterday. So they went from being their conference champion and representing their conference in a bowl game to opting out? You couldn't go one more week and play us?

"It just doesn't make any sense to me that you can go from wanting to play to not wanting to play in a matter of 12 hours."

USC cited a recommendation from its medical team for why it opted out. And if USC hadn't opted out, it would have been almost guaranteed to play in the Alamo Bowl, which would have bumped Colorado to the Independence Bowl as Army's opponent.

Monken added that the situation is particularly unfortunate because neither Navy nor Air Force will appear in a bowl game this season.

"I'm not pointing the finger at any one person," he said. "It's just collectively, as a bowl season, whatever the system is, a 9-2 team should not be left out and a 9-2 Army team should not be left out. I don't know how we have an Armed Forces Bowl and a Military Bowl and a First Responders Bowl and at all of these bowl games, we're going to have service members coming back and being reunited with their families, we're going to put it on TV and it's going to be a feel-good story, and you're going to leave the Army team at home.

"How much bull is that? Somebody's got to fix that.""

EDIT: Just saw that Tennessee had to drop it's Liberty Bowl bid due to the Head Coach and several players contracting Covid-19. Army will take their place and play against West Virginia on Dec 31st. Good to see that it all worked out for Army in the end.
Last edited by Apollo on Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:04 pm
JCC wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:35 pm My old man loves Ohio State. My brother-in-law loves South Carolina. I attended NC State. I have both nature and nurture reasons to hate Clemson - and I certainly do. But, Dabo Swinney's trolling of Ohio State by voting them so low and his joke about reviewing their game film ahead of their bowl (paraphrasing: "It won't take long. They only played 6 games.") is absolutely hilarious and fantastic taunting. Tip of the hat to the 2nd best coach in CFB today.
Recent history suggests best (Winning record vs. Alabama in cfp games, as I recall).
So, going .500 against Saban in CFP games means Dabo is the better coach? I'm sure that wasn't just you doing your normal SEC bashing, right? So, explain what you meant, please.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:04 pm Recent history suggests best (Winning record vs. Alabama in cfp games, as I recall).
Please. Dabo has done a superb job at Clemson. Saban is the GOAT.This is not even a debate. If Swinney wins more championships for a career than Saban, we can revisit the topic. (I have no dog in the fight. I dislike both of them.)
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This is horrific. No words. :(

Utah RB Ty Jordan killed yesterday in an “accidental shooting”.

Jordan was named P12 Offensive Freshman of the Year. He was so good that both of his backups hit the transfer portal because they knew they weren’t going to get any reps behind him.

Absolutely gutted.

EDIT: Reports are that he accidentally shot himself.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:03 pm This is horrific. No words. :(

Utah RB Ty Jordan killed yesterday in an “accidental shooting”.

Jordan was named P12 Offensive Freshman of the Year. He was so good that both of his backups hit the transfer portal because they knew they weren’t going to get any reps behind him.

Absolutely gutted.

EDIT: Reports are that he accidentally shot himself.
That's horrible. :(
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Horrible. Apparently accidentally shot himself in the hip.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

JCC wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:33 am
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:04 pm Recent history suggests best (Winning record vs. Alabama in cfp games, as I recall).
Please. Dabo has done a superb job at Clemson. Saban is the GOAT.This is not even a debate. If Swinney wins more championships for a career than Saban, we can revisit the topic. (I have no dog in the fight. I dislike both of them.)
I think they are 1-2, with Saban getting the 1 spot because he has done it for so long. But Dabo is so far ahead of whoever is 3 that he is closer to Saban than 3 is to him.

I have grown to respect Saban, I haven't gained any real respect for Dabo as a person based on the way he has handled this season. Any coach who has criticized another based on the pandemic is an idiot in my opinion.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

I find it hard to rank anyone ahead of Saban or Bear Bryant. Titles trumps just about every other metric. (I promise I am not in any way a Bama fan. Far from it.) I certainly think Dabo has done a fantastic job at Clemson but ranking him 2nd all time with 2 national championships and around 11 HC seasons seems extremely premature. Particularly since his path to the playoffs has inolved being a hot knife through the soft melted butter which is the ACC. There have been several coaches who have won more than 2 titles and plenty others who have won 2. Even with recency bias I would rank Urban Meyer ahead of Dabo since he won national titles at more than one school (like Saban).
Black Lives Matter

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's college football. The most subjective sport on the planet.

I put Schembechler at #1 but wouldn't have issue with someone putting Saban or Bryant or Rokne or even Hayes at #1. Because it's college football. It's like naming the best beer. Everyone gets their #1 and that's that.

College football isn't objective.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
JCC

Post by JCC »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:48 pm College football isn't objective.
This is a silly, hollow argument. Of course any rankings of the "best" all time coaches will have subjectivity. But, the idea that Dabo Swinney with 2 national titles is the best or 2nd best coach of all time in CFB is ludicrous. When his career is done, there may or may not be a strong argument for it. But to say that in 2020 is a joke. If you want to say he is the best coach in CFB *today* I would still disagree, but I don't think it is a ridiculous notion.

If it's all subjective than I nominate Chuck Amato as the greatest head coach in the history of CFB. He won zero conference championships. He was fired from the job (with good reason). But he coached my alma mater at the time I was most excited about NC State football (when Phillip Rivers was quarterback) so that makes him the greatest coach of all time. While we are at it Phillip Rivers who has zero super bowl rings is the greatest NFL quarterback of all time because he is my favorite. Hey if all rankings are subjective then I can't be wrong! Awesome!

Of course there is subjectivity in sports rankings of coaches, players, and teams. But it is also easy to make flat out wrong claims while declaring subjective rankings.
Black Lives Matter

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I meant of the current coaches, not best of all time.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:26 pm I meant of the current coaches, not best of all time.
Ah. My mistake. With Urban not currently coaching, I would tend to agree Dabo is the current #2.
Black Lives Matter

GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Finally broke down and watched my first game of the year: the Alamo Bowl featuring Texas (duh...where else do we play anymore?) and Colorado.
I knew ehlinger was our qb and Hermann was still coaching, but beyond that I knew nothing about this team. And that first half told me why we're 6-3. Understood there were a lot of injuries and opt-outs but i didn't see much that led me to believe 6-3 wasnt right about where we should be. So I'm glad I stuck with my decision as long as I did and didn't cave until the bowl game, which we fortunately won. Not only did I get to feel morally superior for standing on principle (which becomes even MORE righteous when u tell everyone how morally superior u are) but mostly I got to miss another meh season, followed by a butt kicking in Ye Olde Alamo Bowles.

Very much looking forward to next year when I can watch my favorite sport without guilt and when 3-2 teams aren't playing for conference championships.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

For all that was made of their 4-0 start, Colorado was not a good team. They're improved over the last few years and it was good to see them move in a positive direction, but they've still got a long way to go. Wasn't terribly surprised to see them get crushed by Texas last night.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I generally like Dan Mullen, but c’mon man.

Florida coach Dan Mullen tonight after getting embarrassed:

“The last game this 2020 team played was 11 days ago.”

“We didn’t have to play.”

“I thought our scout team guys played well.”

Didn’t think it was possible, but his quotes are more embarrassing than his teams play
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

That's Dan Mullen's for you. Yes, his team was without 9 starters I think, no starting WRS and it showed, with the backups dropping pass after pass. But he never took this game seriously and only practice I think 3 days for it. Mullen's has never been a big game coach and it definitely showed last night.

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:For all that was made of their 4-0 start, Colorado was not a good team. They're improved over the last few years and it was good to see them move in a positive direction, but they've still got a long way to go. Wasn't terribly surprised to see them get crushed by Texas last night.
Colorado was a much different team with Landman. They were outscored 81-23 after he got injured against Utah (Utah couldn't do anything with him on the field, and then drove up and down the field as soon as he was injured).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Lassr wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:09 pm That's Dan Mullen's for you. Yes, his team was without 9 starters I think, no starting WRS and it showed, with the backups dropping pass after pass. But he never took this game seriously and only practice I think 3 days for it. Mullen's has never been a big game coach and it definitely showed last night.
The 3 INT's in the first 10 minutes didn't help much either. But some teams/coaches get up for meaningless bowl games, others don't. You see it every year.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Not a great year for G5 bowl teams. Tulsa loses to a terrible Miss State, Army goes down to WV, and now Cincinnati loses to GA after leading the entire game. Shame they couldn’t finish that one out.
Holman

Post by Holman »

What sport even is this??
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Oh, I could watch that over and over. Megan Rapinoe told him to hurdle a player for her this week after Najee said he looks up to her, I'd say that was a hurdle.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/01/us/najee ... index.html

and Dabo may have written a check with his mouth this week that his team can't cash...

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Poor CB. Good thing he's not a Cornerback.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

A funny thing happened on the way to Trevor Lawrence's coronation - he got shellacked by Justin Fields and the Buckeyes.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Let the Dabo whining begin!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Herman fired at Texas this morning.

Rumor is they offered the job to Sark, with the additional rumor that he has turned it down. :shock:

I see and have heard that Sark is the guy at Texas and now I have heard that Sark turned the job down.