Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021

Post by Isgrimnur »

5,593 pages. Summon the intern.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Re: Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021

Post by Smoove_B »

Not an intern from one of these people though:

6 Republican against voted against the relief bill:

Marsha Blackburn
Rick Scott
Ron Johnson
Mike Lee
Rand Paul
Ted Cruz
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ton of pork from what I'm hearing. Lots of foreign aid which, while not unexpected, is gonna make for a lot of outraged tweets/parleys...
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Look, their lobbyists have already reviewed it and told them how to vote. Don't go expecting miracles here.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I don't think rushing through a spending bill that law makers don't have a chance to fully read is a great thing. But I also suspect that maybe things start to break down if people do go through with a fine tooth comb. (Also, I wonder how much is to prevent a government shutdown).

While, IIUC, much of this is just normal yearly spending that's consolidated into an omnibus spending bill, I would imagine there is some pork in there. But I think something we've learned from when we removed earmarks resulting in a much less productive congress is that sometimes pork is needed to make the whole thing work. :|
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:12 am Ton of pork from what I'm hearing. Lots of foreign aid which, while not unexpected, is gonna make for a lot of outraged tweets/parleys...
Seems there has been some confusion in the media and (shock) on Twitter about this:

Spoiler:
NARRATOR: The Covid relief bill did not, in fact, contain $500 million for Israel. Congress passed a suite of bills, including Covid relief *and* the bill funding the Defense Department for 2021, which includes foreign aid. This isn't hard unless you know nothing about Congress.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

DIVISION A—AGRICULTURE, RURAL DEVELOPMENT, FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION, AND RELATED AGENCIES APPROPRIATIONS ACT, 2021
DIVISION B—COMMERCE, JUSTICE, SCIENCE, AND RELATED AGENCIES APPROPRIATIONS ACT, 2021
DIVISION C—DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE APPROPRIATIONS ACT, 2021
DIVISION D—ENERGY AND WATER DEVELOPMENT AND RELATED AGENCIES APPROPRIATIONS ACT, 2021
DIVISION E—FINANCIAL SERVICES AND GENERAL GOVERNMENT APPROPRIATIONS ACT, 2021
DIVISION F—DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY APPROPRIATIONS ACT, 2021
DIVISION G—DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR, ENVIRONMENT, AND RELATED AGENCIES APPROPRIATIONS ACT, 2021
DIVISION H—DEPARTMENTS OF LABOR, HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES, AND EDUCATION, AND RELATED AGENCIES APPROPRIATIONS ACT, 2021
DIVISION I—LEGISLATIVE BRANCH APPROPRIATIONS ACT, 2021
DIVISION J—MILITARY CONSTRUCTION, VETERANS AFFAIRS, AND RELATED AGENCIES APPROPRIATIONS ACT, 2021
DIVISION K—DEPARTMENT OF STATE, FOREIGN OPERATIONS, AND RELATED PROGRAMS APPROPRIATIONS ACT, 2021
DIVISION L—TRANSPORTATION, HOUSING AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT, AND RELATED AGENCIES APPROPRIATIONS ACT, 2021
DIVISION M—CORONAVIRUS RESPONSE AND RELIEF SUPPLEMENTAL APPROPRIATIONS ACT, 2021
DIVISION N—ADDITIONAL CORONAVIRUS RESPONSE AND RELIEF
DIVISION EE—TAXPAYER CERTAINTY AND DISASTER TAX RELIEF ACT OF 2020
DIVISION FF—OTHER MATTER
malchior

Post by malchior »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:03 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:12 am Ton of pork from what I'm hearing. Lots of foreign aid which, while not unexpected, is gonna make for a lot of outraged tweets/parleys...
Seems there has been some confusion in the media and (shock) on Twitter about this:

Spoiler:
NARRATOR: The Covid relief bill did not, in fact, contain $500 million for Israel. Congress passed a suite of bills, including Covid relief *and* the bill funding the Defense Department for 2021, which includes foreign aid. This isn't hard unless you know nothing about Congress.
Later in the thread.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:03 am

Spoiler:
Later in the thread.

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

"And maybe that administration will be me" ...that boy is just D.U.M.B dumb.

Also Id like to extend my customary 'fuck you' to Marsha Blackburn. You keep being you, bitch.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

(ACORN dissolved 10 years ago after James O'Keefe released a duplicitously edited hit on it.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

When Congress hasn't done one of its main jobs and passed a real budget, on time, since the mid 90s, it's no wonder shit like that still exists.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carthago delenda est
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Trump's surprise demand for $2,000 stimulus checks blew up Mitch McConnell's master plan and leaves him in a no-win situation

This leaves the next move to McConnell, who has for months insisted on a smaller stimulus package and has rejected Democratic proposals for $1,200 checks.

He now has two undesirable options:

He can cave and accept a larger stimulus figure after fighting for months to keep it down.
He can block the larger checks and take the political heat for it.
One reason McConnell may fear blowback for keeping the checks at $600 is the runoff elections for Georgia's two Senate seats, which the GOP needs to hold to keep control of the chamber.

The New York Times reported last week that McConnell backed including stimulus checks in the package after hearing that opposition to them was harming the Senate campaigns in Georgia.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Xenophobia, race baiting and delusional to the end. He will use these as excuses to veto the bill while cynically asking for more relief money (which the Dems fought for and lost).
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lets be honest...what should have happened was after that first $1200 check there should have been another $1200 one about Sept or Oct and there should then be another $1200 one come the new year in Jan or Feb.

As is $2000 now then another $2000 or $1200 in March would be best. But that wont happen. Took them all year to get to this point in arguing and still do nothing. $600 might be one payment to a mortgage or rent or some food for a month for a family.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Maybe Trump is threatening to veto because he knows it will be overridden. That way he gets to look like he tried.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:34 pm Maybe Trump is threatening to veto because he knows it will be overridden. That way he gets to look like he tried.
It's not clear to me that it will be overridden (some Republicans might not vote to override).

He's likely trolling congress, but there's a miniscule chance that he actually cares about his legacy.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

If the veto stands it may not bode well for the GA runoff.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Defiant wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:37 pm
Alefroth wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:34 pm Maybe Trump is threatening to veto because he knows it will be overridden. That way he gets to look like he tried.
It's not clear to me that it will be overridden (some Republicans might not vote to override).

He's likely trolling congress, but there's a miniscule chance that he actually cares about his legacy.
Yeah, but it passed 359-53 and 92-6. It'll take a lot of members not wanting to buck Trump for it to fail.

Ultimately, I don't think he'll actually veto it.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

He just vetoed the defense spending bill, so maybe I'm wrong.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

My understanding is he can just ignore it for 10 days and it has the same impact as a veto while not opening it for an override. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

That's a pocket veto and congress needs to adjourn in the 10 days after it reaches his desk.