OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

Re: OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

Post by hepcat »

I got an early Christmas present of Dune Imperium Wednesday. I’m playing it solo now and it’s superb. I love everything this game does. You can see about 3 or 4 other game mechanics once you start playing, but they work great together.

In short, you have a couple of agents to start and you send them to spaces on the board to gather spice, money, troops or water, amongst other things like intrigue cards. The rub is that you can only send them to spaces with an icon matching a card you play from your hand. Once you do that, you get any extra bonus from that card’s agent field, then discard it. Everyone plays agents, one at a time, until everyone has no more agents. Then you perform the reveal step (you can actually do the reveal step even if you have agents left to play, but doing so ends your turn, so it behooves you to play all your agents first).

During the reveal phase, you lay all your remaining cards on the table in front of you and use any influence they generate in their Reveal field (right below the agent field) to buy imperium cards for your deck from the market.

After everyone has done their reveal, you have conflicts. Some of the spaces on the board are combat spaces (they have crossed swords on them). Playing agents to them allows you to take troops from your supply and put them either in your garrison or directly into the conflict zone of the board. During the conflict phase of the game, each troop in the conflict zone is worth 2 strength. You simply add up everyone’s strength and the winner gets the first place prize on the conflict card for that round. You draw one of these every turn start. Second place gets the second place prize, etc..

Finally, you remove all troops from the conflict zone to your supply, leaving troops in your garrison on the board.

First one to get 10 victory points wins.

I’ve barely scratched the surface of everything that goes on each turn. You try to curry favor with the various factions, backstab other players, and so on.

The game is a hoot. It even has an app you can use for solo play if you don’t want to use the solo AI deck. I love how it has all these disparate mechanics, but none of them feel half baked. They all seem equally important. And the deck building itself feels more urgent to me because I need to choose the cards that will actually help me, not just buy the most expensive thing in the market like I do with most deck builders (expensive equals powerful in most deck builders).
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The kids have really taken a liking to Legendary Marvel, so we played a ton of that over the weekend. I'm finding I enjoy it MUCH more with a group than I did playing solo. We've beaten a few of the easier Masterminds and Schemes pretty easily...might be time to take it up a notch. :)

My only gripe is that it's kind of a bugger to set up and tear down.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That makes me happy. :)
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:39 am My only gripe is that it's kind of a bugger to set up and tear down.
Stupid deckbuilders!

That's one of the things I like about Aeon's End. Compared to most deckbuilders there are far fewer cards in any game which generally means quicker set up and clean up.

On the other hand there are no easy wins in Aeon's End. Ever.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Mrs. Skinypupy asked me if I wanted any games for Christmas. I gave her a list of 10 games, thinking she'd get one or two.

She bought the whole damn list. :shock:

- Star Wars: Rebellion
- LotR: Journeys in Middle Earth (Yes, again...I think I sold it too quickly last time, and it sounds like the app has had a chance to bake a little more)
- Dominion
- Horrified
- Splendor Marvel
- Machii Koro
- Potion Explosion
- Battle Sheep
- Dungeon Roll
- A Game of Cat & Mouth

I will be...busy.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Damn...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
RMC

Post by RMC »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:38 pm Mrs. Skinypupy asked me if I wanted any games for Christmas. I gave her a list of 10 games, thinking she'd get one or two.

She bought the whole damn list. :shock:

- Star Wars: Rebellion
- LotR: Journeys in Middle Earth (Yes, again...I think I sold it too quickly last time, and it sounds like the app has had a chance to bake a little more)
- Dominion
- Horrified
- Splendor Marvel
- Machii Koro
- Potion Explosion
- Battle Sheep
- Dungeon Roll
- A Game of Cat & Mouth

I will be...busy.
That is awesome.

The kids got me Marvel Villanous, so we will be playing that soon.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

SW Rebellion came with a truly unfortunate number of broken minis. 5 TIE fighters had a broken wing and 2 AT-STs were snapped in half.

Not looking forward to getting those replaced. :(
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:12 pm SW Rebellion came with a truly unfortunate number of broken minis. 5 TIE fighters had a broken wing and 2 AT-STs were snapped in half.

Yeah, that sucks, all the moreso with Asmodee's 'improvements' to FFG's parts replacement program:
AsmodeeNA.com wrote:Parts Replacement FAQ
I bought my game at a local game or toy store. What do I do if it is missing a component or is damaged?

Return to the store where you originally purchased the game with proof of purchase, and they will be able to request a replacement copy of the game from Asmodee USA or their distributor. When they receive it, you will be able to exchange your defective copy for the new one, subject to availablity and store policy. For issues unrelated to missing or damaged components, your store’s regular return/exchange policies will apply.

I bought my game at a big box store/website (Target, Walmart, Amazon, etc.). What do I do if it is missing a component or is damaged?

Return the game to the store and follow their current return/exchange policies. Generally, you'll be able to exchange your copy or receive a refund depending on the issue and their inventory as long as you have your original proof of purchase. If you have any questions, please review their return/exchange policies ahead of time.

I bought my game from Asmodee USA directly at a convention or one of their whollyowned web stores, including FFG, Z-Man, and Asmodee USA's web store. What do I do if it is missing a component or is damaged?

Please visit that webstore where you originally made the purchase and locate the “Customer Service” section for further assistance with your issue.

I bought my copy from a friend or an online consumer-to-consumer market. What do I do if it is missing a component or is damaged?

We encourage you to make sure that all components of a game are present and intact before purchasing a game second hand. Unfortunately, we cannot offer replacements for products that were not purchased directly from our USA retail partners or webstores.

I recieved my copy as a gift. What do I do if it is missing a component or is damaged?

If you or the gift giver know the store it was originally purchased from, please see the process above relating to the type of store it was purchased from. If you cannot contact the original retail store, you can contact Asmodee USA directly at customerservice@asmodeena.com.

Why are you removing the parts replacement program?

With the number of quality titles in Asmodee USA's growing library, maintaining an independent stock of elements of each game becomes more difficult. We believe offering the customer service through the store they have purchased the game from will be a better experience.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I only put games on my wish list that I would probably never buy for myself, but wouldn't mind trying or having in my collection. The three I got this Christmas fit that criteria:

- THE LEGEND OF DRIZZT - I've always wanted to try one of the big box D&D games, and thematically this was my favorite as I'm a big fan of the Drizzt books. If I like this one I'd certainly be down for picking up some of the others in the series. Lately I've been in the mood for simple dungeon crawlers without a lot of fiddlyness, and I'm hoping this ends up being just that.

- WINGSPAN - I successfully avoided "mainstream hype" games like Terraforming Mars, but Wingspan made my list just because I love the production values and theme. I typically shy away from point races against automa opponents, but I thought this one may be a good gateway drug into those types of games.

- AUZTRALIA - I have seen this one pop up on solo gamers Top 10s a lot, and with the Lovecraftian theme I figured at some point I'd have to give it a try. It's one of MartinG (Solosaurus podcast's) favorite games, so it's always been on my radar. Plus, like Wingspan, it fills a niche in my collection as I have nothing even remotely comparable in my collection.

Looking forward to giving all these a try over the break!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:28 pm - THE LEGEND OF DRIZZT - I've always wanted to try one of the big box D&D games, and thematically this was my favorite as I'm a big fan of the Drizzt books. If I like this one I'd certainly be down for picking up some of the others in the series. Lately I've been in the mood for simple dungeon crawlers without a lot of fiddlyness, and I'm hoping this ends up being just that.
This is - by quite a wide margin - the most played game in my collection. It’s a perfect light dungeon crawl that’s fun and thematic without breaking your brain. Plus, my kids absolutely love it. :)

I would recommend it to anyone with even a passing interest in dungeon crawlers, D&D, or the Drizzt novels.
Last edited by Skinypupy on Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:01 pm
YellowKing wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:28 pm - THE LEGEND OF DRIZZT - I've always wanted to try one of the big box D&D games, and thematically this was my favorite as I'm a big fan of the Drizzt books. If I like this one I'd certainly be down for picking up some of the others in the series. Lately I've been in the mood for simple dungeon crawlers without a lot of fiddlyness, and I'm hoping this ends up being just that.
This is - by quite a wide margin - the lost player game in my collection. It’s a perfect light dungeon crawl that’s fun and thematic without breaking your brain. Plus, my kids absolutely love it. :)

I would recommend it to anyone with even a passing interest in dungeon crawlers, D&D, or the Drizzt novels.
I am going to guess that is meant to say "most played" but I like the idea of a lost player game. :D

I got The King's Dilemma for Christmas because I gave it to my wife to give to me. I have my oldest Pandemic Legacy Season Zero and he actually seemed excited, which is kind of amazing.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:41 am

This is - by quite a wide margin - the lost player game in my collection. It’s a perfect light dungeon crawl that’s fun and thematic without breaking your brain. Plus, my kids absolutely love it. :)

I am going to guess that is meant to say "most played" but I like the idea of a lost player game. :D
That makes more sense than what I was thinking - the games that gets taken out when you're a player short and want something that doesn't involve a learning curve.

"Ready to continue with Yahtzee Legacy?"
"Can't - Frank's having cramps and had to stay home."
"Well, since we lost a player..."

I have four games in that series. They were the tool by which I introduced my kids to D&D, and I've also used them as ice breakers when a new pen-and-paper group gets together for the first time.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:41 am

Gah, stupid phone.

Yes, MOST PLAYED. :lol:
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Skinypupy wrote:Yes, MOST PLAYED
I figured it out after a few. :D And great to hear, as I've always been on the fence about the D&D games.

I tried the Wingspan solo mode last night, and I am pretty shocked how much I enjoyed it.

On paper, it doesn't check any of my boxes. It's a competitive point race game, and I don't typically like those at all. And it's using an automa deck, which again, I don't really love.

However, I think there were two things that really overcame those "obstacles" for me.

The first is that even though it's a point race, it doesn't *feel* overly competitive. Because the bot scores differently than a human opponent, the best way to counteract it is to just make sure you're earning as many points as possible. This took the pressure off of me having to strategize against the bot or counteract moves it was making (which I'm terrible at in competitive games). Instead, it just became a puzzle of accumulating as many points as possible without worrying about what the bot was doing.

And my dislike of automa decks was countered by how utterly smooth this one runs. Once you learn the symbols, the automa turns are VERY quick. One thing that turned me off of the Scythe automa was figuring out movement rules, etc. every time the automa acted. This is just super quick grab an egg, grab a card, place or remove a cube - everything it does is a 5 second action and I loved that.

If you had told me I'd love a Euro-ish point race game so much I was already thinking about expansions and token upgrades after one play, I'd say you lost your mind. This is not in my wheelhouse at all. But it's just so freaking relaxing and stress-free. I loved it.

REALLY hoping I can talk my wife into playing this one over the break. I think both the theme and the lack of cut-throat play would really appeal to her.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:26 pm REALLY hoping I can talk my wife into playing this one over the break. I think both the theme and the lack of cut-throat play would really appeal to her.
Even if she's ordinarily not much of a gamer, Wingspan makes for a superb gateway game. So have her watch Rodney Smith's How To Play video, which may help persuade her to give it a whirl:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Gave my oldest Pandemic Legacy Season Zero for Christmas. We played a Prologue game (warm up to the new rules) and just played February and despite one *really* close call running out of agents to place, succeeded on the first try. When we played Season One we played on "easy" with only 4 epidemic cards in the mix. This time we are doing it normally. We only had one incident (replacing outbreaks) in January so I think we did pretty well and I am looking forward to seeing where this goes.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:15 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:12 pm SW Rebellion came with a truly unfortunate number of broken minis. 5 TIE fighters had a broken wing and 2 AT-STs were snapped in half.

Yeah, that sucks, all the moreso with Asmodee's 'improvements' to FFG's parts replacement program
Mrs Skinypupy mailed the original copy with the broken pieces back to Amazon on Monday morning. I was very pleasantly surprised to find a replacement copy (with no broken pieces) on my porch this afternoon.

Now to go watch a few how to play videos, then read up on the solo rules...
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Tonight I played Chaos in the Old World for the first time. I loved the asymmetry, the aggression, and Slaanesh's hilarious boob-crab warriors. I ended up winning as Tzeentch, mainly because the other players spent too much time fighting among themselves while I built a reliable mini-empire in part of the map.

It's really interesting to see how Cthulhu Wars drew from Chaos for the core of its design. I've played them both now, and can't really say that I enjoy one over the other. Both are great dudes-on-a-map games.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Two more plays of Pandemic Season 0 and two more wins. I am starting to think this game is easier. Some new mechanisms are starting to creep in but haven't really impacted gameplay so far. I am definitely excited to see what is to come. I wish my son was similarly excited as I could happily play through the entire campaign non-stop.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

AWS260 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:21 am We played a game of Eldritch Horror that went right down to the wire. On the very last turn, the Doom track ticked down to 1, the last card in Mythos deck was revealed, my character was ritually sacrificed by my wife's character, and we solved the third and final mystery that won the game.

Still one of my favorite games.
Reaching back to 2019 here, but I've found a LOT of games of Eldritch Horror come down to the last turn or two. For me at least. I play Solitaire (just me), randomized. All the expansions mixed in that can be logically mixed in (no sideboard unless the Ancient One or Prelude calls for it). All the Mythos cards (Easy, Normal, Hard). I randomly pick the Ancient One, the Prelude, 4 Investigators, and all other elements that are normally randomized. I've got about a 25% success rate. It's not an easy game, doubly so when you draw back-to-back punishing Mythos cards. I had one game where I had 11 monsters on the table (thanks, Shub-Niggurath) and drew the Mythos card that forced me to take 1 Sanity damage split however I like between all of my investigators for each Monster on the table. Between my investigators I had a total of 9 Sanity left. There were three turns left in the deck. I just apologized to the world and packed it up. I've never before or since lost all of them at once.

I'm struggling to find a good display/setup/storage case for the game, though. I've got everything packed into the original boxes and packed tight so it only occupies a couple boxes - but I want to sleeve my cards before they get more worn, and I want to get a carrying case that makes it both easy to set up and aesthetically pleasing to use. I'm struggling between options. It seems like they either create a great case for storage or great inserts for the box for play - but not both. I'm sorely tempted to try my hand with some 3mm birch stock and a Dremmel to see if I can make what I want, but I'm certain I lack the skill to make it look any kind of nice. I'd like to set the game up in 15 minutes or less instead of 45 minutes if I can - and still like to break out an Eldritch Horror themed case with all the expansions in it, neat and organized.

If there are any Eldritch Horror players here who've purchased a nice case or play setup, what did you get and what are your feelings on it?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I only have the base game, 1 small expansion (Forsaken Lore), and 1 big expansion (Dreamlands), so it all fits into the original box with a bit of lid lift. I use this box insert from Tower Rex. It definitely speeds up setup.

If you want to go big, there's always this: https://brightbearlaser.com/product/trunk-of-horrors/

Enlarge Image
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Go7 Gaming looks like they have a good solution for Eldritch Horror and multiple expansions.

Enlarge Image

Go7 consistently releases more organizers than Broken Token or Meeple Realty. I have their Elder Sign, Everdell and Munchkin Dungeon organizers.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

AWS260 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:51 pmIf you want to go big, there's always this: https://brightbearlaser.com/product/trunk-of-horrors/

Enlarge Image
Wouldn't bother me at all to "go big" - I love the way that trunk looks. It's another example, though, of either "Good for storage" or "Good for play" - only a few of the card holders are slotted so you can easily lift a card out without jamming your hands in or dumping them all out. The Preludes bin is a perfect example of "Good for storage, Good for play" though; very easy to just lift the front card out.

I wish I could mix and match parts from different cases to achieve my result. Ultimately, I think it's more important to be able to play quickly and cleanly than it is to store things tightly. I'd like to have storage slots for 10-14 decks you have to draw from during normal play, as well as the 10 different condition types. Finger notches and/or clearance between decks is essential to being able to simply pick up the next card in the stack. I live in constant fear that one of the kids or dogs will bump the table and send a deck skittering to the floor in shambles, where it may be destroyed if I don't pick it up fast enough. When I play, I tend to set up the board and "pick at it" over the course of a day or two, a round or two at a time. The last time I had everything out, I went back inside after being out with the kids and found one of them had knocked over a number of Assets/Spells/Tokens onto the floor while putting a jacket on and didn't notice. Thankfully, none of the dogs felt like a snack.

I currently use a janky combination of plastic bead bins and shoddy hand-made cardboard benches to hold up cards and store tokens while I play, and it looks pretty sad.
Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I put all my Eldritch Horror stuff into a board game box that Zarathud convinced me to back on kickstarter ages ago. I would love to get something like this deluxe storage solution, but now that I've got a kallax in my dining room for games I'm "staging", I think I'm going to move that box into that. It finally may end up being worth it.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

That Bit Box is better for card games and small box games.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I stuck all my Eldritch Horror and Firefly stuff into one (and it took up the ENTIRE box), then put some smaller games into the travel version.

The only problem is that Eldritch Horror with all the cards/tokens is a friggin' beast to organize. I need to figure out a way to do so within that bit box that isn't a mess.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

AWS260 wrote:I only have the base game, 1 small expansion (Forsaken Lore), and 1 big expansion (Dreamlands), so it all fits into the original box with a bit of lid lift. I use this box insert from Tower Rex. It definitely speeds up setup.

If you want to go big, there's always this: https://brightbearlaser.com/product/trunk-of-horrors/

Enlarge Image
That's the box they stored the electoral votes in! Awesome! Image
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Played Potion Explosion with the kids this weekend. Lots of fun, and I'm kinda in love with the cool marble tray
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Played Kanban EV today. There is a lot going on in that game! Designing cars, getting car parts, assembling cars, researching improvements. And all the while, desperately trying to avoid your boss as she stalks the halls, assessing your performance and penalizing you when you fall short (which is most of the time). I really enjoyed navigating the interlocking systems and was pretty happy with my play, coming in a distant second.

This was the first time for all three of us playing, and we made a mutual agreement to learn the rules in advance so that no one would be saddled with the teach. It helped a lot, and after just a handful of initial clarifications we were able to dive right in.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

AWS260 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:51 pmEnlarge Image
I spent the weekend hemming and hawing over this and kept coming back to this as probably the best all-around solution. Not only that, it appears to be made in the US and 80% of other options are Russian; they seem to have a thriving laser-cutting industry over there. Last night I pulled the trigger and in 1-4 weeks I should be seeing this roll in. I'm excited to get it. My wife thinks I'm loopy, being excited to sort and organize a game.

I also poked around a little and added token holders to my "wishlist" of things for my wife to consider for gift-giving holidays. Having all of my gates and creatures stand up would be kind of nice. Things can get lost on the board when there's a lot going on.
Black Lives Matter

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Late to the party but I'm still digging Wingspan. I picked up the European expansion.

I've gotten to the point where I can actually stay competitive with the normal Automa, with maybe a 30% win rate against it. Now weighing whether I want to pick up Dune: Imperium or Viscounts of the West Kingdom next.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

A lot of people like Dune Imperium, I did not, but I'm not a thematic type nor do I know anything about the universe. We played Viscounts for the first time the other day and thought it was good. We are playing three player today and I'll report back on how it went.
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Lorini wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:08 pm A lot of people like Dune Imperium, I did not, but I'm not a thematic type nor do I know anything about the universe. We played Viscounts for the first time the other day and thought it was good. We are playing three player today and I'll report back on how it went.
I picked it up recently and I'm liking it a lot so far. I'm a big fan of the theme, though, so that adds a lot. Dune 2 was one of my favorite games for a long time, and that got me into the world, book, and movie a bunch at the time.

I've only played in solo mode, which seems pretty well done. The AI turns are really quick and easy to manage, which is nice. (I lost both times on easy difficulty.) The game is kind of a combination deck builder and worker placement, along with a lightweight combat element.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I started my 10x10 challenge for 2021. It's a good mix of stuff I bought recently but haven't played enough, one (Scythe) that I bought ages ago but never properly learned, and some simple favorites I've really enjoyed in the past 6 months. I also made sure to put games on there that I thought I'd actually be compelled to play.

I feel fairly confident in finishing this one primarily because I nearly completed my "Shelf of Shame" during quarantine. So I don't have a huge backlog of games that I feel I didn't get my money's worth out of.

- AuZtralia - LOVE this one and have had a great time with it, so just continuing the fun
- Back to the Future: Dice Through Time - A surprise hit from last year that I just really enjoy so it will be easy to knock out
- Core Space - After getting bogged down with minis I never properly played this one. Time to rectify that.
- Elder Sign - This was a bit of a random pick because I wanted to play something older that I never thoroughly felt I mastered.
- Hellboy: The Board Game - Recent purchase - played through the first scenario but need to finish
- Marvel United - Did not give this one a proper chance
- Scythe - With my newfound appreciation of euro-gaming, it's time for me to finally learn this, perhaps my biggest gaming purchase regret
- Set a Watch - I just love this one and haven't played it in a while
- Warp's Edge - Another recent purchase that I enjoyed but didn't play enough to get good at
- Wingspan - Adore this one, so this is another gimme. I've already knocked out 5 sessions.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:25 pm I started my 10x10 challenge for 2021.
Your what now?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
RMC

Post by RMC »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:51 pm
YellowKing wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:25 pm I started my 10x10 challenge for 2021.
Your what now?
Play 10 games 10 times...
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I am not entirely sure I've completed a lifetime 10x10 (if you count games I played as a kid probably... as an adult I am far less certain)

Coop's Board Games with 10+ plays as an adult:
1. Gloomhaven
2. Pandemic Legacy Season 1
3. Aeon's End
4. Letters from Whitetchapel
5. Flash Point Fire Rescue
6. Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends
7. Legendary: Marvel
8. Pathfinder Adventure Card Game
9. Kingdomino
10. Space Base
11. Gravwell

There are a couple of others that might be borderline.

The idea of getting 100 board game plays done in a year is outrageous to me... particularly outrageous since I can't go to the one game convention I attend and my lunchtime board game group isn't available. Under normal circumstances, maybe 30-35 lunchtime plays over the course of a year, 30 No Tech Tuesday plays at home, 15 Stone Age Saturday plays and maybe 20 plays at BGG.CON. Adding that up is seems 100 is possible. Getting them perfectly distributed across 10 games? No freakin way.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:21 pm I am not entirely sure I've completed a lifetime 10x10 (if you count games I played as a kid probably... as an adult I am far less certain)
Same, although I've been in the hobby a lot less than most of you.

That said, I might shoot for a 5X5 this year, as there's a number of games I've picked up recently that have been ignored. Will have to give some thought as to which ones I would include...
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I may remove Hellboy from the list, simply because there are < 10 missions in the box. Core Space on the other hand I think has 9 and an intro mission so that one should be OK.

I think the secret to any 10x10 is to focus on quick setup, 60-90 minute session type games. Otherwise it starts to feel too much like work.