[Movie] Wonder Woman 1984

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Z-Corn

Re: [Movie] Wonder Woman 1984

Post by Z-Corn »

We've tried to watch this the past two afternoons and it just gets to the same point two minutes in and buffers.

Maybe I won't bother trying again though from the sounds of it.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Wow, that does sound quite bad. I guess it was hard to make a sequel when the original movie hit it out of the park, but still, sounds like quite a downgrade. Does it address being in the 80's any, or is it just used as set-dressing? Doesn't sound like they really put much thought behind it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

They should have set it in Orwell's 1984. Now that I would watch.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:11 pm Wow, that does sound quite bad. I guess it was hard to make a sequel when the original movie hit it out of the park, but still, sounds like quite a downgrade. Does it address being in the 80's any, or is it just used as set-dressing? Doesn't sound like they really put much thought behind it.
Doesnt address it at all. Other than a few minutes of lame wardrobe jokes, you'd never know.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I never felt the first was great. It was OK, but nothing special.

And I agree with the comment about Gadot's acting ability. She's a little stiff.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:(

I really liked the first one, but what's being reported here and elsewhere is giving me the sads.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The first one, while merely OK, was an improvement over the other non Nolan DC films.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Opinions aside, Wonder Woman 3 being fast-tracked:
Wonder Woman 3 is being fast-tracked Warner Bros. announced today. The news comes as the pic has amounted $85M WW after a $16.7M domestic debut.

The threequel will be written by Patty Jenkins, who is attached to direct, and starring Gal Gadot.

The pic was released on HBO Max in the states and in theaters this past weekend. The sequel was in its second weekend abroad grossing $19.4M from 42 markets. Combined with U.S./Canada, WW1984 made $36.1M.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

stimpy wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:23 pm
Rumpy wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:11 pm Wow, that does sound quite bad. I guess it was hard to make a sequel when the original movie hit it out of the park, but still, sounds like quite a downgrade. Does it address being in the 80's any, or is it just used as set-dressing? Doesn't sound like they really put much thought behind it.
Doesnt address it at all. Other than a few minutes of lame wardrobe jokes, you'd never know.
That's what I feared from the get-go. Could have been a fun way to explore things.
McNutt wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:56 pm I never felt the first was great. It was OK, but nothing special.
Well, it hit it out of the park for my family, at least, when you consider it was my Mom who wanted to see it and she's normally not into these kinds of movies. I think it did a lot of things right. It's the end though that ended devolving into the usual though.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I enjoyed it but I can totally see the issues that are ruining it for everyone with any sort of taste or expectations. Perhaps being on staycation the preceding 11 days softened my critical response (assuming I have one) due to an overwhelming state of relaxation.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

stimpy wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:23 pm
I noticed "it could only work in earlier times" during the opening set piece. WW used her tiara to take out a couple security cameras while she went to work (to help hide her identity I guess?). If it were set now, there would have been a thousand smartphones streaming the whole thing from every angle on Facebook Live.

As for '84 specifically:
Spoiler:
I think it's because 1984 was when work on Reagan's SDI really got going.
We had no problems with streaming on Christmas day, though it was 8-ish here on the West Coast so high demand from the East would have already died down.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

Yeah, this is a pretty massive disappointment. The premise of the plot is just too stupid. There are entertaining moments but the core plot just sucked.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I thought it was good but not great:

1) It took far too long to get started.
2) The fight scenes
Spoiler:
in the Whitehouse and convoy were really good, mainly because you saw a vulnerability in a superhero that you don't usually see. Seeing Cheetah wipe the floor in the WH with WW was pretty good. And I thought the maneuver she used to flip the truck was pretty cool.
3) Where it really feel down with me was the final fight scene.
Spoiler:
Rather than a big battle it was short and anti-climactic. WW used the wings to fend off Cheetah's attacks, threw her around a couple of times, and then they spent far too much swinging around entangled with each before landing in the water and the fight ending soon afterwards. Where were powerful punches, kicks and throws? I wanted attack and counter attack.I wanted to see some real power from each of them and I got nothing.
4) I did love her learning
Spoiler:
to fly. That was really cool, and reminding me of Chris Reeve flying in Superman. I thought it was really well done.
I really thought Gadot did a good job showing surprise and vulnerability
Spoiler:
as she weakened and lost her powers
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:04 am I adore Kristen Wiig but she’s a terrible villain.
I honestly thought Wiig fared pretty well. I certainly didn't expect her to work out. But she managed to win me over with her performance. Her character was poorly written, true (I especially loved the drunk would be rapist who magically appears whenever the plot needs him...they could have at least made it two different drunk would be rapists, but nooooo), but Wiig did what she could with the character and at least made her desire to be powerful less about 2 dimensional comic book villainy and more about suddenly finding happiness and refusing to give up on that.

I posted this in the HBO Max thread earlier, but my main gripes were
Spoiler:
1) No one seems to care that Steve Trevor essentially stole someone's life...and both he and Diana never once talk about it/seem to care.

Edit: At least one other critic thought this was a glaring issue.

2) WW suddenly and spontaneously developing the power to make things invisible was so stupid I thought my eyes were going to roll out of their sockets.

3) The villain was confusing. He could have just wished to be the most powerful man in the world, but instead he decides to take some Rube Goldberg path to power that made little to no sense.
Like Grifman though, I did enjoy most of the fight scenes. Although it seemed like the film started with action...then gave up on that for about 90 minutes before remembering it was a movie about superheroes and returning to that. A film like the first Thor was able to get away with that kind of thing because it was a fairly strong script (in comparison) that had a journey of growth for the main character. But WW is missing that. It tried to deal with loss, but it buried that message under so much bad writing that it failed to convey that for me.
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I was able to fast forward past the part that kept buffering and we watched it yesterday.

There was no need to do so.

JCC

Post by JCC »

hepcat's article above brings up a good point...
Spoiler:
The guy's body Steve hikjacks is almost certainly used to have sex with Diana. I thought about this a little further. Imagine the uproar if this same dynamic was done in a movie where the hero was male and the hijacked body was female! Then imagine if the woman returned to a body that was now pregnant!

The whole dynamic of the body snatching should have been written out since as noted by others, they don't deal with the morality of it at all.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Spoiler:
Yeah, and it wouldn't have been hard to deal with the 'body snatching' issue - for an ethical person like Diana, it's another reason to fight to get to the bottom of the wishstone issue. And it could be the real minus for Diana's wish - she gets to be reunited with Steve, but knows that it's coming at the cost of her taking someone away from their loved ones and family.
Overall the movie was fine - it's popcorn fluff, entertaining at times. My real issue with the movie is that it's just absurdly long for a popcorn movie - it really, really does not earn it's 2.5 hour run time. If this movie was an hour and 45, it'd be fine - it would basically be something like Captain Marvel. And it's not like there wasn't unnecessary fluff to cut. Apparently the studio wanted Jenkins to cut either the Amazon intro or the Mallrats intro for time. And I gotta say, as much as people tend to side with the directors in this kind of thing, I think the studio was 1,000% correct (I'd drop the mall scene).
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If it wasn't for all the slow-mo...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wife and I watched it this evening at the theatre.

Wife liked it, I thought it was decent.
Spoiler:
Aside from a combat pilot flying directly through what is essentially AAA. And knowing how to fly a jet aircraft.
They still haven't managed to make superpowered leaps and landings appear realistic. They still look floaty because of the wire work.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I will also say that Gal Gadot's legs, in the dress that she wears to the formal party, deserve an Academy Award

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Meh...she’s no Bea Arthur.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:05 am Meh...she’s no Bea Arthur.
Wasn't she the last winner of the "Best Gams" Oscar before the category was replaced by "Best Supporting Actress?"
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I want a film of Steve walking around the Wright-Patterson Air Force Museum for two hours.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I do have to say that I thought Pascal's performance was pretty good, even if he does look like a Wish-ordered Nathan Fillion.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:27 pm I do have to say that I thought Pascal's performance was pretty good, even if he does look like a Wish-ordered Nathan Fillion.
Poor man finally got to do some acting where people can see his face! :lol:
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

gilraen wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:26 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:27 pm I do have to say that I thought Pascal's performance was pretty good, even if he does look like a Wish-ordered Nathan Fillion.
Poor man finally got to do some acting where people can see his face! :lol:
Oh, you mean just like they could see his face on Narcos and GoT? :P
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Being able to see his face didn’t work out too well on GoT. I don’t know about Narcos.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

He was one of the main characters in the first series as one of the cops.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Fun fact: Pascal was one of the main characters on the Wonder Woman tv series that didn’t make it past a pilot. It was apparently pretty awful.
He won. Period.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:48 pm Being able to see his face didn’t work out too well on GoT. I don’t know about Narcos.
The first two seasons of Narcos are great. Well worth watching.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Baby Yoda played Pablo Escobar too!
He won. Period.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

This movie is rough going. I think some of the decisions the director made are questionable. Example, and this is an early dialogue scene
Spoiler:
Diana and Barbara having dinner and to start the scene Diana laughs and says something like "That was so funny, I haven't laughed like that in a long time". We don't get to see that part of their conversation! We get the boring and very unconvincing sounding "I don't get out much" "Really? I thought you went out a lot" exchange. It feels sloppy. That's not a scene written, directed, or edited to be compelling to watch. It's actually kinda painful. "You're so personable, so...free" lol holy crap!
Another example of how sloppy it felt to me was when someone falls on to a car. There are police all around when this happens. NO ONE looks up to see where they fell from. I guess we are supposed to assume it's common for them to see people just appear out of thin air? Whoever directed that scene didn't seem to put a lot of thought into it. Because this is the second WW movie I expected it to be a finely tuned machine, instead it plays like it's a rough cut in need of more work.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Well duh, they obviously fell from Plot Armor Towers.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Wife and I watched it on New Year's Eve. I wasn't expecting too much out of it given the early buzz, and it turned out . . . fine. It wasn't as good as the first one (which I had just watched a couple of weeks before) and it had some logical issues big and small, but it was a silly, campy superhero movie. Having lowered expectations probably helped our enjoyment of it.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

This review summarizes most of what I felt:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2 ... 617c3e180c

Honestly, though, I would say it was just a poor mishmash of concepts leading to a poor story and a poor screenplay, buoyed by a strong cast. Yet again with a DC movie, it feels like they are trying to do too many things in one movie, but in the end make none of them satisfying.

Here's the list someone started with:
Spoiler:
Gotta bring back the amazons, they are so cool!!
Oooh how about a sequence when she's a little girl again, that was also cool!
Comedic elements: ooh let's hire Kristen Wiig! As a villain???
OK we have a villain, let's come up with an origin story!
But she may not be enough, we need a second villain! But... he also needs an origin story!
Wait, let's make our villains really human and likable, so they are "complex"
Gotta bring back Steve even though he's dead, people liked him in the first one! Romance!!!
Hey I read this story called Monkey's Paw, wouldn't that be cool in a superhero movie?
Ok someone mash this all together and get me a script!

There were some moments I enjoyed, and I just love Gal Gadot and Mando, but I couldn't help feeling like this was such a missed opportunity. I get the sense they wanted a lighter, fun tone, maybe? Or at least some of the team wanted that? But then it becomes difficult to take it at all seriously when the "villains'" are arguably more or just as sympathetic as the hero. Maybe if they had focused on the core of the "be careful what you wish for" storyline, it certainly had potential, but truthfully I've seen a bunch of low budget horror movies that used the concept better.

Maybe someone can digitally replace that annoying child and replace it with Baby Yoda. I'd probably forgive everything to see that.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I had a similar take. It was fine, but I won't be revisiting it the way I've re-watched the first WW movie. A bit of a letdown is all.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I hated it. I felt the story was weak, the villians were boring, the special effects lack luster, and overall just hollow.

I loved superman as a kid, but had I seen it as an adult, I'd probably feel the same. DC seems to struggle on putting out quality movies. I think the recent batmans would be the exception.
Last edited by naednek on Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Bite your tongue. There's a sincerity and humanity to the first superman movie that still makes me tear up when watching it.

Ww84 doesn't have that though.
He won. Period.
naednek

Post by naednek »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:34 pm Bite your tongue. There's a sincerity and humanity to the first superman movie that still makes me tear up when watching it.

Ww84 doesn't have that though.
I agree. But I think my view would be different if I saw it first as an adult.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:34 pm Bite your tongue. There's a sincerity and humanity to the first superman movie that still makes me tear up when watching it.
Superman and the Mole Men does have that effect on people!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)