[Poll] Do you personally know someone who has Covid-19?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Do you know someone who has tested positive for Covid-19

Yes
81%
No
19%

Total votes: 134

LordMortis

Re: [Poll] Do you personally know someone who has Covid-19?

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:42 am I'm up to two extended family members who have passed due to COVID, 2 more who had it and recovered, and a friend who had it asymptomatically.
As it stands, two cousins, one twice, that I know of, and three coworkers that I know of have been locked out of work at intervals due to COVID with I can only assume HIPPA not saying more. I know they weren't locked out for having COVID directly or I can only assume I would have been informed as part of contact tracing.

Also have to go to a large hospital system tomorrow for TB Test and Bloodwork. Not happy.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I converse regularly with someone who got it early in the year, but as it's strictly by video chat, I hesitate to say I know her.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:46 pm I converse regularly with someone who got it early in the year, but as it's strictly by video chat, I hesitate to say I know her.
Online-only friendships just can't work. Can you imagine an online-only community lasting for like, and I'm just pulling these numbers randomly, roughly 23 years from ~1997 to 2020?
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

We were a 'yes' on this poll pretty early on, but recently it blew up (much like around the country). Between MHS's coworker's families to my brother-in-law to my parent's neighbors, there's a lot more COVID to go around.

AFAIK, there's nobody I interacted with regularly who has died from the disease, but sadly I don't expect that to last.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

wonderpug wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:14 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:46 pm I converse regularly with someone who got it early in the year, but as it's strictly by video chat, I hesitate to say I know her.
Online-only friendships just can't work. Can you imagine an online-only community lasting for like, and I'm just pulling these numbers randomly, roughly 23 years from ~1997 to 2020?
It's like science fiction.
stessier

Post by stessier »

wonderpug wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:14 pm
It doesn't work when it's a bunch of real people. It's pretty easy when it's one guy and a bunch of alts trying not to feel alone.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You really shouldn't call out hepcat like that. He might start taking his meds.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I found out my brother in law's niece, a nurse in Colorado, has it. Apparently she's sick but not bad enough to need hospitalization and hopes are that since she's relatively young it stays that way. Since she's a nurse no one is surprised by this but she was always decked out in protective gear. I saw a photo of her and she reminded of Jude Law's character in Contagion when he was walking around in his protective suit. So I guess the takeaway is the gear helps but eventually the odds catch up with you. The good implication is if you take care to protect yourself and you aren't spending your day in a high risk environment, then you have a good chance to avoid being infected.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The day before the March Covid lockdown, we attended a baby hazing for one of my wife's friends. A month ago they had a birthday party at a banquet hall, first time we saw them since March. A few days ago, found out their entire family (including baby) is positive.
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I had to switch to yes today. One of my students is a confirmed case. We've been virtual half the time and are on alternating blocks so I saw him on Monday and last Tuesday but even with masks that means I was in a room with him for 80 minutes.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

we attended a baby hazing for one of my wife's friends.
So how many beers can a baby hold?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

A brother of my coworker passed away two weeks ago. His mother who attended a small wedding with the brother a week before that was also infected and passed away two days ago.

The brother was younger than me, the mother was over 70 years old.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Well, it looks like my sister has made a full recovery, thankfully. She said it was absolutely miserable, and she was on the verge of being put in the hospital a few times, but she is now out of isolation.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:57 pm A brother of my coworker passed away two weeks ago. His mother who attended a small wedding with the brother a week before that was also infected and passed away two days ago.

The brother was younger than me, the mother was over 70 years old.
Just got an update about this. The coworker also has COVID-19. His test last week was negative but he took another test Monday and got the result today.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gbasden wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:14 pm Well, it looks like my sister has made a full recovery, thankfully. She said it was absolutely miserable, and she was on the verge of being put in the hospital a few times, but she is now out of isolation.
Great news, hope she escapes any lingering effects.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Wife's job is up tp 6 residents and 7 staff infected.
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

My manager tested positive on Monday (we've been working remotely since March, so she didn't get it at work, and none of us have been around her). She says it feels like she has a bad flu right now, with an added loss of smell. She's still working throughout the day, but she sounded like crap on a call yesterday.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I was supposed to go into the bank branch where my actual office is last Friday to pick up some equipment.

I'm glad I procrastinated because I found out on Monday one of the tellers tested positive and the whole building is closed for two weeks. And I was supposed to install equipment behind the teller line...where the Covid was...

Kinda sucks though, I can't get into my office or receive any packages until December 7th. That should be fun to try and hunt down everything that was supposed to be delivered to me and bounced back to...wherever...for two weeks.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

All 5 of the teachers and roughly 60 students at the school have tested negative from our exposure. Of course we are still on quarantine until Dec 7th. The city government just delivered my relief supplies - 4 instant curry packages, 5 instant ramyun, 4 cans of tuna fish, 18 servings of pre-cooked rice, 12 pouches of kimchi, 2 pouches of SPAM, a bunch of snack packs of gim (seaweed), and one pouch of chicken porridge/soup.

Luckily I have other food in the apartment!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My baby sister just told me that her hubby has tested positive. So she's spending time at our mom's place rather than her home... for now.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The father of a neighborhood friend, who lives in Alabama, has been hospitalized with COVID. Not totally sure what the prognosis is, but sounds like he's 78 with significant co-morbidities, so that has to be scary.
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Wife told me they are up to 40 cases at her job, and that's just the residents. She doesn't know how many employees are infected, but last night a nurse was fired for refusing to work in anun actively infected unit. So far, my wife is only working in one of two unaffected units, but she thinks it's just a matter of time.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm now a yes. Michelle's brother (my former brother-in-law, whom I've known for ~25 years) and his wife both have it. Both work in a huge prison, and both dealt with the tedium of the pandemic restrictions by taking trips to Florida and Alabama.

So, yeah. This is my surprised face. :roll:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

A good friend's dad was put on a ventilator last night. :(
He's the most serious case I know now, but my total count is 8, I think.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Before she went to work last night, wife was informed the first positive patient in her unit was reported. This particular resident has dementia and wanders constantly. She said she was moved to a unit that is more heavily rife with cases, and her room has been sealed off for now.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:17 am The father of a neighborhood friend, who lives in Alabama, has been hospitalized with COVID. Not totally sure what the prognosis is, but sounds like he's 78 with significant co-morbidities, so that has to be scary.
Apparently the friend's father died last night.
Black Lives Matter.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

My wife has COVID-19 although she is doing pretty well. I have a feeling I will test positive too, but I probably won’t get test results from yesterday back for a few days.

My wife was feeling a bit sick this past weekend but not too badly but got a test because we were going to mix with my mom and our children for Christmas. She got the positive test results at 10 pm on the 23rd. I started an 11 day vacation at 10:30 the same night.

I feel mostly fatigued and a bit achy and probably had fever last night in the middle of the night but not anymore today.

With her being a teacher and me being in retail we figured it was only a matter of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I finally became a yes a couple weeks ago when my wife's childhood best friend and her kids got it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Just got my result back and I’m positive. I pretty much knew this because I’m feeling a bit worse every day.

Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

May it be mild and short.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:55 pm May it be mild and short.
+1. The top blessing of 2020.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)

Post by Default »

Yeah, several. At my ex' church, they had a hundred people in the sanctuary and no social distancing + masks improperly worn, if worn at all. We'll see what the count is in a week or two. She, and my boy who is a member there, have not gone for almost a year, and are gobsmacked at how careless these people are.

Me, not at all.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

A few weeks ago, I was putting up Xmas lights on a tree in front of the house and an elderly couple pulled up in their minivan. The woman driving was encouraging, her husband, noting I was on an unsupported ladder, joked "who's going to call 911 when you fall?" I later discovered they were neighbors less than a block away. Today I learned he died of Covid, age 86.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sorry to hear that, Jeff.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I came back to the hotel from the hospital Wednesday evening feeling sluggish. I'm working 75 hours a week so I chalked it up the fatigue to that.

That evening I developed a 102 fever, came out of nowhere. Took some Tylenol and called my occupational health contact to report it. Fever broke during the evening and I've never poured that much sweat. Early the next morning I had a 99.5 fever and they told me to take the next day off.

All day Thursday I slept and rested and didn't have fever. I was cleared to go back Friday.

Friday night when I got back to the room, I had a low grade fever and was just beat. I again called my contact and they put me in medical observation.

This morning I went for a rapid Covid and I'm negative. The doc thinks my fatigue is the 75+ hours a week I've been working over a month now. She's concerned about the random fevers, but it's now 48 hours temp free. Besides fatigue, the only other symptoms I have is my eye are achy. That's it.

They told me if I remain afebrile through tomorrow, I can go back to work Tuesday.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
malchior

Post by malchior »

Mentioned it in the P&R thread but I know approximately 10 people who just got diagnosed here in NJ. Most proximate to one open door Christmas day party. It was open door because the family fosters kids and has an open door policy for people who don't have anywhere else to go on a holiday. The virus did not care about the generous spirit. :(
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Xmann wrote:I came back to the hotel from the hospital Wednesday evening feeling sluggish. I'm working 75 hours a week so I chalked it up the fatigue to that.

That evening I developed a 102 fever, came out of nowhere. Took some Tylenol and called my occupational health contact to report it. Fever broke during the evening and I've never poured that much sweat. Early the next morning I had a 99.5 fever and they told me to take the next day off.

All day Thursday I slept and rested and didn't have fever. I was cleared to go back Friday.

Friday night when I got back to the room, I had a low grade fever and was just beat. I again called my contact and they put me in medical observation.

This morning I went for a rapid Covid and I'm negative. The doc thinks my fatigue is the 75+ hours a week I've been working over a month now. She's concerned about the random fevers, but it's now 48 hours temp free. Besides fatigue, the only other symptoms I have is my eye are achy. That's it.

They told me if I remain afebrile through tomorrow, I can go back to work Tuesday.
Glad you’re feeling better but I’m surprised they just did a rapid Covid test and not the PCR test; doesn’t the rapid test have a higher false negative rate?
Black Lives Matter
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

12 days into this now. My fever broke this morning but my oxygen levels just went to a place where I’m being put into the hospital.

Wish me luck.

Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Get better, man! We’re all praying for you, I’m sure.

I found out this morning my boss tested positive over the holidays. I’m in the clear though as he hasn’t been in the office for months. He’s one of the lucky ones without symptoms though...so far.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I hope you're just being dramatic. :(