Cyberpunk 2077 from the makers of The Witcher

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Montag

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 from the makers of The Witcher

Post by Montag »

Any way to toggle what loot you are picking up from the ground with a command? It can be frustrating where it insists on one item I do not want and cannot get another.
words
JCC

Post by JCC »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:20 pm Im not installing something I hate for a single game that would look and play like crap on my system.
You should install Windows 10 because it is insane to keep running Win 7 on a PC connected to the interenet.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

JCC wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:56 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:20 pm Im not installing something I hate for a single game that would look and play like crap on my system.
You should install Windows 10 because it is insane to keep running Win 7 on a PC connected to the interenet.
Win10 would steal and sell far more info than anyone could get themselves :)

Besides I dont like and cant use Win10. Tried on my wife's laptop when I put it on that.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:39 pm

Besides I dont like and cant use Win10. Tried on my wife's laptop when I put it on that.
Again, to reiterate, the LTSB version of Windows 10 I previously mentioned equates to the modern equivalent Windows 7 Ultimate SP1. It specifically does not have the resource-hogging data-harvesting and background processes typically included with the 'Home' and 'Pro' versions of Windows 10, nor all the other bloatware that likely rubbed you the wrong way on your wife's laptop (e.g. no Windows Store, no Cortana, nor Microsoft Edge). And it's effortless to make Windows 10 look and act more like Windows 7.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

While the upgrade to Win10 would be ideal, I thought we already established he's running an older version of Win7. The developers have indicated that this game runs on a specific (i.e. current or final version/build) of Win7, so I'd think the easiest answer at this point would be to update Win7 to the final/current release and then try the game again. Until Win7 is at the build they say works, re-installing this game would be a pointless endeavor; it's not supported.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:14 pm While the upgrade to Win10 would be ideal, I thought we already established he's running an older version of Win7. The developers have indicated that this game runs on a specific (i.e. current or final version/build) of Win7, so I'd think the easiest answer at this point would be to update Win7 to the final/current release and then try the game again. Until Win7 is at the build they say works, re-installing this game would be a pointless endeavor; it's not supported.
Indeed, if that's the hill you prefer to die on Daehawk, you can use a free alternative to the standard Windows Update service -- such as the Windows Update MiniTool -- to more selectively at least bring your version of Windows 7 up to the final build, which ought to provide better compatibility as Smoove points out.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I heard Windows 7 has identity theft features built right into the kernel. You’re probably better off trying to find a copy of Windows NT 4.0. :ninja:
Covfefe!
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:39 pm

What Pc do you have. I have a DELL Latitude d630 intel Centrino duo running w10. Also use Spybot to disable all the windows 10 tracking.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dont recall the model of her laptop. Its a HP with touch screen. Slooooooow as hell . I dont bother with it. When she asked for help with something Id try and use it and just couldn't figure it out. She used it better than me...which was weird.

I built my PC around 2010 / 11 . i7 2600k, 16 gig ripjaw memory, asus p8p67 deluxe, and someone gave me the gtx 950 card.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Found one of the rare bugs I've seen in the game. I had to find a body in an ice bath, but it wasn't there. Checked online and found that often the body glitched and was to be found on the other side of the wall behind the ice bath. I did find it and completed the mission, but definitely a gameplay affecting bug.

Also while I haven't found driving to be too difficult, some cars are challenging to drive. Like Johnny's Porsche, but then all rear engined Porsche cars are a bit of a handful in all my games :D

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:40 pm Here's another car that drives really well, got it from the Aldecaldos
What model of car is that?
raydude

Post by raydude »

The following is a dramatization based on a random NCPD reported crime. Any resemblance to actual game characters living or dead is not intentional.

NCPD Police Logs, Dec 26, 2077

Sgt Downing: NCPD Reported Crime #5779001-1. Members of the Tyger Claw gang murdered a drug/weapons supplier.
Lt. Wilko: Says here it was their own supplier?
Sgt Downing: That's right. Chat evidence recorded on a shard shows the gang cell thought their supplier's rates were too high. So they figured on ordering one final shipment, then killing him at the delivery.
Lt. Wilko: Talk about shooting the messenger. How did they figure to survive after that?
Sgt Downing: Says they planned on finding a new supplier. Anyway, all the evidence is here on these shards, 4 bodies in the morgue. 3 Tyger Claw, one supplier. All have multiple warrants for arrest. We also got the supplier's van and two Tyger Claw vehicles.
Lt. Wilko: Our guys make the bust?
Sgt Downing: No, random merc answering the NCPD public bulletin.
Lt. Wilko: Guess you could say she made a special delivery.

YEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
raydude

Post by raydude »

Just came out of one intense series of set-piece sequences. Wow, I love this game.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Montag wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:20 am Any way to toggle what loot you are picking up from the ground with a command? It can be frustrating where it insists on one item I do not want and cannot get another.
I find if I move the body or reposition myself, I can usually get to the item I want.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

gbasden wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:07 am
jztemple2 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:40 pm Here's another car that drives really well, got it from the Aldecaldos
Enlarge Image
What model of car is that?
Don't know, I just steal them :wink:

Even though I "finished" the main story after 48 hours, I went back and started doing all the side missions and Gigs I didn't attempt before. A nice touch about the game is that instead of trying to construct a situation where you have gone through the whole campaign, had everything happen and know everything, then try to play the side missions, you instead go back to a point from just before the "Point of No Return", where you start the final mission sequence. Therefore even though as a player I know the final fate(s) of V, I can go back and play as if nothing of that final sequence happened. It's a nice touch and quite clever, since it means the missions can take place in the time frame of V's life where they were meant to occur, rather than doing some clean up work.

And I'm really, really enjoying the side missions. A number of them, which stack towards the top of the list, are not the usual "go kill someone" or "go deliver something", they are quite interesting and meaningful in relation to the characters you have met during the game. And there are even some really cool Johnny Silverhand ones. I'm really glad I decided to continue playing.

Speaking of cars, I've managed to lay my hands on this one, till I have to ditch it :D

And of course I always have to stop and admire any flamingos I see:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
JCC

Post by JCC »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:39 pm Win10 would steal and sell far more info than anyone could get themselves :)
This is utter nonsense. Running Win 7 and not installing system updates is like trying to step on every square inch of a mine field. I have no idea why you "can't use" windows 10. But if you are going to remain intractable in the ridiculous notion that windows 10 is some demon from hell then you would be better off installing some flavor of linux on your computer and running what games you can on it and saving a few hundred bucks for an XBox Series X or PS5 to play modern games.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Well, after tinkering around with the game since the release day, I finally dove in and started playing today. Unfortunately, my first impressions are that I hate it. Not for any of the reasons I'm hearing online, though. The driving is fine, I haven't encountered a single bug, and the world is well crafted and immersive. It's just that the game is very, very story-centric and it takes place in a dirty, ugly, world full of dirty, ugly people with no morality to speak of. I have no idea why gamers clamor for worlds like these, but I am totally burned out on the "Fallout-Cyberpunk" dystopian future game world. And I hate games with lots of story, since the story by its very nature limits my freedom and is almost always either simplistic and juvenile or, as with Cyberpunk, overly convoluted and hard to follow. This game would have been much more enjoyable if they had eased me into the world and let me meet, one at a time, all the people who were going to start interacting with me before they started sending me endless missions to do this or that.

But, ultimately, the problem is with me. I should have known the game would be like this and in fact I never intended to buy it until the last month or so when I got caught up in all the hype. And my gaming burnout has made it where I can only enjoy a few very specific types of games, as I have burned-out on so many of the types of games I used to play regularly, like Real-Time or Grand Strategy games. Even Open World games are no longer doing it for me, though I did enjoy playing RDR 2 last year.

Objectively, I can say that Cyberpunk 2077 is a very good game that will have a strong appeal to those interested in the subject matter. But right now my impression is that it's not for me.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I had my first CTD after sixty hours. It came right after a mission that was bugged by being unable to be completed as intended. I finally got tired of waiting for an NPC to show up and just switched to another mission and drove away. As I drove away I got a call from the fixer who set up the first mission, saying I hadn't properly completed the mission and therefore wasn't getting paid. The CTD happened a few minutes after that, but might be unrelated. When the CTD did happen I was admiring this glitch. The car up high isn't in motion, it is just magically suspended in mid-air. The girl growing out of the guy's shoulders, now maybe that is weird :wink:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:42 pm Even though I "finished" the main story after 48 hours, I went back and started doing all the side missions and Gigs I didn't attempt before. A nice touch about the game is that instead of trying to construct a situation where you have gone through the whole campaign, had everything happen and know everything, then try to play the side missions, you instead go back to a point from just before the "Point of No Return", where you start the final mission sequence. Therefore even though as a player I know the final fate(s) of V, I can go back and play as if nothing of that final sequence happened. It's a nice touch and quite clever, since it means the missions can take place in the time frame of V's life where they were meant to occur, rather than doing some clean up work.
By the way, I think it was Coop that pointed this information out to me a ways back, so a big thanks to him :wub:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Four flat tires. Bad luck there mate.

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:24 pm Four flat tires. Bad luck there mate.

Enlarge Image
Actually sunk into the concrete floor, apparently :D
raydude

Post by raydude »

Apollo wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:07 pm Well, after tinkering around with the game since the release day, I finally dove in and started playing today. Unfortunately, my first impressions are that I hate it. Not for any of the reasons I'm hearing online, though. The driving is fine, I haven't encountered a single bug, and the world is well crafted and immersive. It's just that the game is very, very story-centric and it takes place in a dirty, ugly, world full of dirty, ugly people with no morality to speak of. I have no idea why gamers clamor for worlds like these, but I am totally burned out on the "Fallout-Cyberpunk" dystopian future game world. And I hate games with lots of story, since the story by its very nature limits my freedom and is almost always either simplistic and juvenile or, as with Cyberpunk, overly convoluted and hard to follow. This game would have been much more enjoyable if they had eased me into the world and let me meet, one at a time, all the people who were going to start interacting with me before they started sending me endless missions to do this or that.

But, ultimately, the problem is with me. I should have known the game would be like this and in fact I never intended to buy it until the last month or so when I got caught up in all the hype. And my gaming burnout has made it where I can only enjoy a few very specific types of games, as I have burned-out on so many of the types of games I used to play regularly, like Real-Time or Grand Strategy games. Even Open World games are no longer doing it for me, though I did enjoy playing RDR 2 last year.

Objectively, I can say that Cyberpunk 2077 is a very good game that will have a strong appeal to those interested in the subject matter. But right now my impression is that it's not for me.
I'm sorry you felt that way. I am still in Act 2 but from the side missions and dialogue I have discovered the importance of family, that trust and honor are rewarded, sacrifices made for me and that I consciously made for others were meaningful and emotionally resonant, had people confide in me and convinced others to help their fellow man and bring them back from the brink. To me, there is actually an undercurrent of hope - or at least that people were still trying to make a positive difference in their own cyberpunkish way.

This is from someone who hasn't played RDR2 because from what I've read there is no way around being an outlaw and I just couldn't bring myself to play that kind of character. At least here I can play with a certain code of honor and I've found that NPCs actually respond to that.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

raydude wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:56 pm ...I'm sorry you felt that way. I am still in Act 2 but from the side missions and dialogue I have discovered the importance of family, that trust and honor are rewarded, sacrifices made for me and that I consciously made for others were meaningful and emotionally resonant, had people confide in me and convinced others to help their fellow man and bring them back from the brink. To me, there is actually an undercurrent of hope - or at least that people were still trying to make a positive difference in their own cyberpunkish way.

This is from someone who hasn't played RDR2 because from what I've read there is no way around being an outlaw and I just couldn't bring myself to play that kind of character. At least here I can play with a certain code of honor and I've found that NPCs actually respond to that.
Well. I'm not tossing in the towel yet, but the game was trying to flash so much information to me all over the screen early on that I'm afraid I may have missed some key plot points, like "Now, why am I going to Night City again?". :P

I think a lot of games try to throw you into the action right away nowadays since so many gamers have very short attention spans and quickly get bored with games in which they are not constantly being pushed into one action or the other. This is especially true of Open World games. How many times have we heard people talk about games like Skyrim or Red Dead Redemption and say "I didn't know what to do next." or "There's nothing to do!". Still, the amount of information this game was bombarding me with in the first 20 minutes or so, with different colored pop-ups appearing and disappearing all over the screen made it very difficult to concentrate on the story elements.

I think I may just restart and see if I can get a better idea of what's going on.

Edit for punctuation.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

There is no doubt that messages and jobs and info come at you fast and furious.

I found it's best to let it all come kind of organically and then just pick off missions as I see fit.
So far I've only had 1 instance where the job would have failed had I not done it, but thats because I was right in the area and if I left, that was it.
But it warned me before that, so I finished it up. Other than that I've seen no time restrictions on missions.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

When I did actually get it to run for a bit...the first time I fired it up actually. I was hoping for a longer intro area in the badlands. I wanted to do some missions and get a lay of the map out there and meet some of the gangs. But nope....got in my car got my package and hit town.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

In Rancho Coronado there is a ferris wheel tilted over. Shots from on top of the axle:

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A lot of the early missions you get aren't actually missions, either. They're options. Two types in particular: You get a 'mission' for each available car. These are yours to buy or ignore. You also get calls from contacts in each and every area of the city, but again, these aren't actually missions. This is just them introducing themselves to you for when you're ready to do business.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Seems it would be easier if you just had a single contact in each city zone and they only first contact you to introduce themselves when you enter that zone for the first time either on your own or through another mission.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Literary reference spoiler:
Spoiler:
Holy shit, just overheard a discussion where two people were talking about a job involving John Percival Hackworth. I was like "I know that name..." Then the one person says "you want me to steal a book?" and the other's like "it's not a book, it's a nanotech device shaped like a book. It's made for children, got stories like a castle and stuff."

They went on in dialogue for a bit and I was like "oh crap! They're talking about Neil Stephenson's The Diamond Age, like it's a mission to go on!"
That was just too cool. Just goes to show it pays to slow down and listen to other people's conversations. Even when they're not part of the mission.
Last edited by raydude on Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Another suggestion from the "go slow and take it all in" style of play: feel free to call up your contacts even if not mission-related. Some of them will chat with you and you get to find out their backstory.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:56 am Seems it would be easier if you just had a single contact in each city zone and they only first contact you to introduce themselves when you enter that zone for the first time either on your own or through another mission.
That's what they do, although one of the earliest missions has you running all over the city, which results in getting introduction calls one after the other. It has confused some people into thinking that they're suddenly getting a huge stack of missions when they're not.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

My 80-year-old MIL gifted the game to my younger son for Christmas, which in itself seems kind of cyberpunk.

He says his favorite bug so far was seeing a guy try to eat with sixteen chopsticks in one hand.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:42 pm And of course I always have to stop and admire any flamingos I see:
I take it you havent come across one of the Delamain missions yet.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Saw this buried on Blues - the one click optimizer via Tom's Hardware:
With a GeForce GTX 1070 Ti, the author recorded framerates that spanned from 42 FPS to 51 fps with the game's default settings. Under the Balanced mode, the framerates improved greatly and ranged between 54 and 71 fps. Lastly, the Max Boost mode considerably upped the framerates to around 51 to 80 fps. In the daytime scenes, framerates hit as high as 88 fps.

Of course, your mileage will ultimately vary, depending on your system's specifications and the resolution that you play Cyberpunk 2077. The best solution to improve your gaming performance is to upgrade your graphics card and jump up to a faster CPU. However, if your budget simply doesn't allow an upgrade right now, the EZ Optimizer for Cyberpunk 2077 seems like a godsend gift to low-end gaming systems, provided it works as claimed.

In short, it's for lower-end systems, not current users with new/high-end cards.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ill test it hahahah...doesn't take me long to reinstall. Funny how the first time I ran the game it ran pretty good. The next few times it ran but would sometimes crash out. And then it never would start. Shall see.

EDIT done and done. I think that booster thing works. I used max boost and it was pretty good. Not great or perfect but was getting enough fps it was fairly smooth and I could drive great and slide the car around and stay on the road. Made a nomad guy again. Did the tutorial start then went through the border and watched the intro video play where you and Jackie are in NightCity...then it crashed when it went to load me back into the game. So good test of the booster. Try some more tomorrow.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I hope the devs can get their woes straightened out with the problems on various platforms and rigs, because Night City is just an awesome environment for a game. I'm more than sixty hours in, having done the main campaign then jumped back to continue the side missions and gigs and now I'm in a multi-mission arc that would be the basis of a great cyberpunk film noir detective story. The DLC for this game would already have a great city setting, they just have to figure out how not to trip over themselves in producing fascinating missions like the ones in the game. Seriously, there is just a lot of cool places and characters already in the game.

Also, more flamingos:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Stumbling onto the "bat cave" and picking up a nice car was kind of cool.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another Easter Egg (I guess that is what it is) I came across, two goons discussing a remake of "Some Like It Hot", talking about Lemmon and Curtis. Even quoting the final line of the film.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Overhead in passing, as two rando NPCs discuss some sort of juicy gossip: "It's not a rumor!" (in a thick Austrian accent).