Cyberpunk 2077 from the makers of The Witcher

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 from the makers of The Witcher

Post by jztemple2 »

From PC Gamer, Class action suit filed for CD Projekt investors over Cyberpunk 2077

Entire article:
The lawsuit has been filed, but courts may not let it proceed.

A New York-based law firm has filed a class action lawsuit on behalf of investors in CD Projekt SA. The lawsuit by Rosen Law Firm is for damages to those who purchased securities in CD Projekt between January 16, 2020 and December 17, 2020, based on statements made by those associated with Cyberpunk 2077's development.

Primarily, the suit alleges that false or misleading statements were made about Cyberpunk 2077 being playable on the current-generation Xbox and PlayStation systems. The removal of Cyberpunk 2077 from the PlayStation store, and the offer of refunds by Sony, Microsoft, and CD Projekt itself are widely cited in business circles as the reason for a plunge in CD Projekt's stock price despite its high sales numbers. In the weeks prior to Cyberpunk 2077's release, CD Projekt's CEO said that the game ran "surprisingly well" on the PS4 and Xbox One.

It's important to note that this lawsuit has only been filed in US Courts. In order to proceed, the court must certify the class, indicating that this is a large group of people with similar claims who are eligible for a lawsuit. Rosen Law Firm is an international law firm that concentrates solely on class action suits against businesses on behalf of shareholders.

Per the law firm's press release, this is their logic for the suit: "(1) Cyberpunk 2077 was virtually unplayable on the current-generation Xbox or Playstation systems due to an enormous number of bugs; (2) as a result, Sony would remove Cyberpunk 2077 from the Playstation store, and Sony, Microsoft and CD Projekt would be forced to offer full refunds for the game; (3) consequently, CD Projekt would suffer reputational and pecuniary harm; and (4) as a result, defendants’ statements about its business, operations, and prospects, were materially false and misleading and/or lacked a reasonable basis at all relevant times. When the true details entered the market, the lawsuit claims that investors suffered damages."

We'll watch this suit as it develops, but it's important to note that class action lawsuits take time, and securities suits can take even longer.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Holman wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:02 pm My 80-year-old MIL gifted the game to my younger son for Christmas, which in itself seems kind of cyberpunk.

He says his favorite bug so far was seeing a guy try to eat with sixteen chopsticks in one hand.
That's pretty metal of Nana. I gave the game to my 17 year old and am now wishing I hadn't as the game is a bit more adult than I had thought. I don't mind the nudity, but some of the themes of the quests are a bit ... much.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

gbasden wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:59 am
Holman wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:02 pm My 80-year-old MIL gifted the game to my younger son for Christmas, which in itself seems kind of cyberpunk.

He says his favorite bug so far was seeing a guy try to eat with sixteen chopsticks in one hand.
That's pretty metal of Nana. I gave the game to my 17 year old and am now wishing I hadn't as the game is a bit more adult than I had thought. I don't mind the nudity, but some of the themes of the quests are a bit ... much.
We might need to add a few more warnings to the current six. Like "Disturbing Images" and "Nightmare Inducing Scenes"
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Holman

Post by Holman »

gbasden wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:59 am

I did wonder about that, but the kid is just shy of 15 and has already played a lot of heavy-duty horror games.

Is the sex more than you'd see in, say, Game of Thrones on TV?

I find the kids these days (or at least mine and all their friends) take sexual content pretty much in stride. I'd draw the line at schlock that depicts sex as a form of violence/cruelty, but I assume we're not getting that here.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Holman wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:07 am
I did wonder about that, but the kid is just shy of 15 and has already played a lot of heavy-duty horror games.

I find the kids these days (or at least mine and all their friends) take sexual content pretty much in stride. I'd draw the line at schlock that depicts sex as a form of violence/cruelty, but I assume we're not getting that here.
No and yes. There isn't more straight up sex (like, say, the lesbian prostitute training scene from GoT), but there is a lot of sex, and it's first person. And, well - here. NSFW:
Spoiler:

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Ah. Well, I'm sure it's nothing he hasn't seen in memes before.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:20 pm I so badly want to play this so reinstalled for the 5th or so time. Nope. No matter what difficulty or what start i choose as soon as I click either male or female to make a character it dumps me to desktop. I went in and deleted every single reference to Cyberpunk I could find on my system this time. So guess Im dead in the water so to speak. Looks like an upgrade will be my fix one day. I know it wouldn't run right on my hardware even it I installed Win10. Im not installing something I hate for a single game that would look and play like crap on my system. I loved winning the game and have tried. I will enjoy it one day. I know it. I had fun when I got a little play in when it first worked a little. Its my type game and setting.

Maybe Ill reinstall solitaire.
How is your bandwidth? Stadia might be an option. You'd have to buy the game but that's cheaper than new hardware.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

I finished the main campaign last night. That included doing most (all?) of the "major" Side Jobs (I did not do the Cyberpyschos or fist-fight competition ones). I essentially did not touch any Gigs. That resulted in four different ending options (only one of which I've played, so far) and took about 60 hours in total.

In short, it was great fun. The bugs remained plentiful right through the last mission, including a couple that required reloads to get NPCs to be standing in the right places to trigger progression, but there was nothing that significantly affected my enjoyment. The game clearly should have either been feature-locked about a year earlier or kept in development for another year in order to smooth things out (and if they show this game the same amount of post-release care that they showed Witcher 3, it will be phenomenal in about 6-12 months) but, even right now, as long as your gaming device can hack it, it's a very good game.

What the game considers the main story is actually much shorter than one might expect - but I think they should have defined several of the side job arcs as Main Jobs as well, which make for a much more reasonable playtime for a full-price game. Two of the side jobs branches in particular are required in order to unlock specific (better?) endings than what you get if you just do the minimum, mainline stuff, so calling those "side quests" is definitely misleading.

Probably the strongest endorsement I can give is that I'm still eager to play more: either to play from the Point of No Return again just to try the other endings (although I think I chose the "best" one that I'd unlocked), or to start a new character and try a different build (melee instead of Tech weapons) and make different story choices.

I definitely wouldn't blame anyone for waiting on a definitive/enhanced edition in a year's time but I think it's still worth playing even now, as long you are being rational about your tolerance for jank, realistic about the capabilities of your PC, and reasonable about your expectations (i.e., mostly that they're not as stratospheric as CDPR's marketing department tried to make them).

- Ash
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Asharak wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:57 am That resulted in four different ending options (only one of which I've played, so far) and took about 60 hours in total.
Actually there are apparently at least five different endings, more depending on how you count them. Link to article is within the spoiler tags. I have gone through three of them myself, but I don't know if I have the energy to do all the others.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:16 amHow is your bandwidth? Stadia might be an option. You'd have to buy the game but that's cheaper than new hardware.
Or maybe just run the current/final build of Win7? I'm pretty sure that's a free option.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:05 pm Actually there are apparently at least five different endings, more depending on how you count them. Link to article is within the spoiler tags. I have gone through three of them myself, but I don't know if I have the energy to do all the others.
Yeah, I knew about the fifth. I don't think I'd done enough to unlock it but I also didn't want to go in that direction anyway.

- Ash
raydude

Post by raydude »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:44 am

No and yes. There isn't more straight up sex (like, say, the lesbian prostitute training scene from GoT), but there is a lot of sex, and it's first person. And, well - here. NSFW:
Spoiler:

It's not so much the sex part I'd be worried about. There are also depictions of abuse, and not just sex abuse:
Spoiler:
Child abuse. Serial child abduction and abuse. Implied sexual abuse and exploitation. Implied sexual cruelty - don't know how explicit the description is because I didn't choose that dialogue choice.
Not saying the kid can't handle it - just that you might want to make yourself available to take about some of the heavier issues brought up by the game.
raydude

Post by raydude »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:08 am I hope the devs can get their woes straightened out with the problems on various platforms and rigs, because Night City is just an awesome environment for a game. I'm more than sixty hours in, having done the main campaign then jumped back to continue the side missions and gigs and now I'm in a multi-mission arc that would be the basis of a great cyberpunk film noir detective story.
Yup, there are so many stories they could add on as DLC. One of my favorite sourcebooks for Cyberpunk 2020 was "Protect and Serve" which focused on roleplaying as NCPD. They could totally add DLC for an NCPD detective - chasing down leads only to be stymied by Corps, busting gangs only to see them go free, even rolling with Max Tac but then having to bring down a former Max Tac officer. So many possibilities!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

raydude wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:25 pm It's not so much the sex part I'd be worried about. There are also depictions of abuse, and not just sex abuse:
Spoiler:
Child abuse. Serial child abduction and abuse. Implied sexual abuse and exploitation. Implied sexual cruelty - don't know how explicit the description is because I didn't choose that dialogue choice.
Not saying the kid can't handle it - just that you might want to make yourself available to take about some of the heavier issues brought up by the game.
Right.
Spoiler:
The entire arc of Evelyn Parker, having to investigate the snuff BDs, the missing kids being farmed by the psycho - there are just some really dark things that were a lot heavier than I was expecting. The sex is NBD.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm torn. On the one hand, I'm really enjoying this. I want to go sit down and play. Right now.

On the other hand, I haven't had a lot of time during the last couple of weeks to play, so I'm not very far in. I know that if I waited a few months and restarted, I'd likely have a much better experience, and I have a bunch of new games thanks to Wishlistmas.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:27 pm On the other hand, I haven't had a lot of time during the last couple of weeks to play, so I'm not very far in. I know that if I waited a few months and restarted, I'd likely have a much better experience, and I have a bunch of new games
Exactly where I am.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

raydude wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:25 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:44 am

Spoiler:

It's not so much the sex part I'd be worried about. There are also depictions of abuse, and not just sex abuse:
Spoiler:
Thanks for the info!

I did some "parent review" searching on Cyberpunk before the gift purchase, and all of them described a game that was extremely violent and with nudity and drug use, R- but not X-rated.

May I assume that the sexual-abuse plots are off-screen and not presented in some lurid, exploitative form? Kids in today's generation are made aware that sex predators and pedophiles exist before they're 11 or 12, so I believe that what matters is the presentation, not the basic fact of crime.

I do think today's 15 year-old can handle seeing and hearing about content that we used to think was "adult's only." The issue is the attitudes presented and endorsed by the story.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Heck this stuff was behind me when I was 14 in 1983.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Holman wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:12 pm May I assume that the sexual-abuse plots are off-screen and not presented in some lurid, exploitative form? Kids in today's generation are made aware that sex predators and pedophiles exist before they're 11 or 12, so I believe that what matters is the presentation, not the basic fact of crime.

I do think today's 15 year-old can handle seeing and hearing about content that we used to think was "adult's only." The issue is the attitudes presented and endorsed by the story.
I think I just went through the sequence being described (the detective named River?) and yes nothing is shown onscreen, only suggested. If this isn't the sequence in discussion above, then I will stand corrected. It was very adult in situation, but as you say, nothing that usually isn't presented to every teen as a consequence of getting into a van with a stranger :o
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Apollo wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:07 pm Well, after tinkering around with the game since the release day, I finally dove in and started playing today. Unfortunately, my first impressions are that I hate it. Not for any of the reasons I'm hearing online, though. The driving is fine, I haven't encountered a single bug, and the world is well crafted and immersive. It's just that the game is very, very story-centric and it takes place in a dirty, ugly, world full of dirty, ugly people with no morality to speak of.
I was thinking about this post. Today I played a couple of mission arcs, both ended up with a positive outcomes that didn't involve shooting anyone and showed NPCs that were decent people dealing with difficult situations. There is morality in C2077, there are good characters who try to do decent things. However, there are bad people and evil people, because a game with only good people wouldn't be too exciting, or sell well. I'm just saying that it isn't a black & white world, there is a rainbow of colors to enjoy. And it is quite possible to play V as a decent character as well, not quite a Robin Hood (don't forget how many medieval red shirts were shafted by Errol Flynn) but someone in a morally ambiguous world who tried to do what he considers the right thing.

I'm going to give Cyberpunk 2077 another kudo today, after playing those two mission arcs. So many of the characters with whom you interact are quite complex and fleshed out. And still others, in just a few lines of dialog you exchange with them, turn out to be memorable as well. In more than sixty hours of playing I've realized that I haven't come across a single instance that sticks in my mind of poor voice acting that is jarring or doesn't fit in with the character and situation. I've participated in scenes that feel like Martin Scorsese directed them, seriously. I'm really impressed with the quality of writing and the direction.

It's such a shame that so many people haven't been able to enjoy it because of the bugs.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:55 pm
Apollo wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:07 pm Well, after tinkering around with the game since the release day, I finally dove in and started playing today. Unfortunately, my first impressions are that I hate it. Not for any of the reasons I'm hearing online, though. The driving is fine, I haven't encountered a single bug, and the world is well crafted and immersive. It's just that the game is very, very story-centric and it takes place in a dirty, ugly, world full of dirty, ugly people with no morality to speak of.
I was thinking about this post. Today I played a couple of mission arcs, both ended up with a positive outcomes that didn't involve shooting anyone and showed NPCs that were decent people dealing with difficult situations. There is morality in C2077, there are good characters who try to do decent things. However, there are bad people and evil people, because a game with only good people wouldn't be too exciting, or sell well. I'm just saying that it isn't a black & white world, there is a rainbow of colors to enjoy. And it is quite possible to play V as a decent character as well, not quite a Robin Hood (don't forget how many medieval red shirts were shafted by Errol Flynn) but someone in a morally ambiguous world who tried to do what he considers the right thing...
I wasn't asking for a Black and White world, just one where all of society hasn't degraded into a cynical, every-man-for-himself sort of Dark Fantasy. A world more like our own world (Think RDR 2 or Skyrim instead of Cyberpunk 2077 or any of the Fallout games). Yes, there are good individuals and bad individuals in Cyberpunk, but society as a whole has gone right down the toilet. Every institution in the Cyberpunk world from Corporations to the Police have become cynical caricatures of how they operate in our own world. I would just like to see more Open World games that didn't feature worlds where life is cheap, nearly everyone is corrupt, all organizations of any type have dubious motives, gangs rule the streets, etc. etc. (Though one expects the world to be like this in a Cyberpunk game).

I turned the corner on Cyberpunk 2077 yesterday and I am finally starting to enjoy playing. After a frustrating mission in which I had to reload 20-25 times to complete it, the game's systems finally started to knit together in my head and I started having some idea of what I can be, and should be, doing. The story still doesn't grab me in the slightest and I still have no idea of why I'm in Night City or what I'm doing, but now my early frustration is gone and I'm actually enjoying the game. From what you and others have posted, I feel pretty confident that I will eventually get missions more interesting than stealing stuff and shooting everyone in sight.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:23 pm
Holman wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:12 pm May I assume that the sexual-abuse plots are off-screen and not presented in some lurid, exploitative form? Kids in today's generation are made aware that sex predators and pedophiles exist before they're 11 or 12, so I believe that what matters is the presentation, not the basic fact of crime.

I think I just went through the sequence being described (the detective named River?) and yes nothing is shown onscreen, only suggested. If this isn't the sequence in discussion above, then I will stand corrected. It was very adult in situation, but as you say, nothing that usually isn't presented to every teen as a consequence of getting into a van with a stranger :o
That's one of them.
Spoiler:
There's an entire plot line that revolves around Evelyn Parker, an escort with a doll chip. This lets her overwrite her personality with another to be whoever the customer wants. She crosses the wrong people and the chip is fried. Her boss rapes her, then sells her off to a ripperdoc, who sells her to an outfit that makes snuff braindances. You have to watch one said braindance to get the information about where to search for her, then you have to go through a sequence to rescue her involving sexual slavery and the murdered bodies of other people these people have killed. You get Evelyn out, but she is comatose after the abuse she has suffered. She ends up committing suicide. And this is a major story plot line, obviously. It's really well done, but dark as all fuck. The game very much presents all of this as tragic and horrifying and does not in any way glorify it, but...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Apollo wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:41 pm

I wasn't asking for a Black and White world, just one where all of society hasn't degraded into a cynical, every-man-for-himself sort of Dark Fantasy. A world more like our own world (Think RDR 2 or Skyrim instead of Cyberpunk 2077 or any of the Fallout games). Yes, there are good individuals and bad individuals in Cyberpunk, but society as a whole has gone right down the toilet. Every institution in the Cyberpunk world from Corporations to the Police have become cynical caricatures of how they operate in our own world. I would just like to see more Open World games that didn't feature worlds where life is cheap, nearly everyone is corrupt, all organizations of any type have dubious motives, gangs rule the streets, etc. etc. (Though one expects the world to be like this in a Cyberpunk game).
I can absolutely understand that, but to be fair, that sort of world is at the core of almost any genre that ends in -punk. Even Fallout is a blend of Atompunk and Rustpunk (yes, those are subgenres.) They're typically about the little guy in a dystopian society fighting back against the powers-that-be.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Has anybody come across Skippy yet?
You'd know it if you had.

Minor spoiler...
Spoiler:
Skippy is a gun.

More spoily than the last spoiler
Spoiler:
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Brian

Post by Brian »

Additional spoiler about Skippy
Spoiler:
There's a reason why, if you watched the video, I chose the Puppy Loving Pacifist option.
Stone Cold Killer means Skippy will exclusively get headshots, but Puppy Loving Pacifist will only shoot enemies in the legs.

At first glance, it would seem the Stone Cold Killer is the obvious choice but, there's a catch.

No matter which mode you pick, after you get 50 kills with Skippy, he will automatically change to the other mode with no way of reversing it. So if you want Stone Cold Killer mode permanently, use Skippy for 50 kills in Puppy Loving Pacifist mode first, which means disabling your victims and then headshotting them at close range when they are down.

Pacifist mode turns out to be great at taking down Cyberpsycho's while leaving them alive which is what Regina wants so, win-win.

Speaking of Regina, when you've had Skippy for a few days, he'll pipe up with information on who his original owner is and it turns out to be Regina herself. That begins the Machine Gun quest which requires you to take Skippy back to Regina.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From PCGamesN, This Cyberpunk 2077 mod makes Night City’s pedestrians less stupid

Excerpt:
If you’ve been wandering around Night City in Cyberpunk 2077, you’ll probably have noticed that the open-world game’s pedestrians seem a bit oblivious to what’s going on around them. They’re surprised when you bump into them, and often don’t seem to be aware of things happening just ahead. Well, thanks to a handy new mod, you can sharpen their situational awareness and have them behave more like real people who are trying not to get hit by cars.

The Alternate Crowd Behavior mod by TemplarGFX isn’t a full-on mod, it’s instead a tweaked .ini file that changes some of the distance thresholds for Cyberpunk 2077 NPCs. Specifically, the mod increases the distances that pedestrians will notice obstacles in their path, and that includes V – so you should see people turning to avoid plowing into you sooner with this tweak installed.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

raydude wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:30 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:08 am I hope the devs can get their woes straightened out with the problems on various platforms and rigs, because Night City is just an awesome environment for a game. I'm more than sixty hours in, having done the main campaign then jumped back to continue the side missions and gigs and now I'm in a multi-mission arc that would be the basis of a great cyberpunk film noir detective story.
Yup, there are so many stories they could add on as DLC. One of my favorite sourcebooks for Cyberpunk 2020 was "Protect and Serve" which focused on roleplaying as NCPD. They could totally add DLC for an NCPD detective - chasing down leads only to be stymied by Corps, busting gangs only to see them go free, even rolling with Max Tac but then having to bring down a former Max Tac officer. So many possibilities!
I love that idea for a DLC :D

I'm also envisioning a DLC which makes the character a private detective, in a similar vein of gameplay as you mention.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, 69 hours complete in the game (somehow an appropriate number for this game :wink:) after three weeks playing. I've finished the main campaign in three different ways, done all the side jobs except the fights, the races and the cyberpsycho missions, none of which I really care about. I've got about a dozen gigs on the list, but somehow they just don't seem so interesting after all the great story arcs. So I'm going to step away from the game for awhile and see what develops. I've got a lot of Door Kickers 2 content to go through plus all my usual diversions like reading, the Dakar rally coming up in a few days, the Prada Cup competition for the America's Cup challenger, etc.

Still, it's been a great 69 hours and I'm sure I'll come back to it at some point.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Remember Chooms, if you're gonna upgrade your junk to Mr. Stud make sure the upgrade is legit, and not some recalled gonk-ware. Don't be like Mr. Fire-crotch.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

raydude wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:50 pm Remember Chooms, if you're gonna upgrade your junk to Mr. Stud make sure the upgrade is legit, and not some recalled gonk-ware. Don't be like Mr. Fire-crotch.
I remember that mission :D

I ended up with 998 screenshots from the game :roll:. This is one of them
raydude

Post by raydude »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:05 pm
raydude wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:50 pm Remember Chooms, if you're gonna upgrade your junk to Mr. Stud make sure the upgrade is legit, and not some recalled gonk-ware. Don't be like Mr. Fire-crotch.
I remember that mission :D
I remember thinking my female character should have no sympathy for the guy. Then Johnny says, "Awww come on V, give the guy a break." So I gave in and helped him out.
raydude

Post by raydude »

I kinda like Night City in the rain or in fog. Especially with the highways looming out of the gray.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Note to fixers: If you're going to send me to track down someone who's making snuff BDs, don't expect me not to put a bullet in their head on my way out the door.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
raydude

Post by raydude »

So I finished the main campaign with two different endings over the past two days. Spoilers and some thoughts ahoy! I'll post some mission names so you can see if you're going down that road.

In both endings I started out as a fem corporat. Invested heavily in intelligence and cool, followed by reflexes then tech and finally body. I was a female technogeek, good at sneaking and able to hold her own in a firefight by finding and making use of cover. Most of the time though I initiated the firefight on my own terms, after taking out a lot of guards via quickhacks. I also had a bit of a code of honor - no explicit hitman jobs unless the person was already wanted by NCPD. So that meant I would not take jobs where only the fixer pronounced the person's guilt. This also made me gravitate more towards Regina's jobs.

First ending:
Spoiler:
If you've done Tapeworm, Chippin' In and Blisterin Love you're probably headed down this path.

So I met up with Panam, a nomad of the Aldecaldo's clan and wanna-be NC merc.
From the dialogue choices it appeared that I could banter with her - which meant I probably could start a romance path with her (so I thought). So I was all friendly and flirty like and kept agreeing to her missions. Long story short, I found out she didn't play for the other team (awkward) but she considered me a close friend. Also got her back in with her clan which made me an honorary member. They said they'd have my back whenever I needed help. More on that later.

I also got in good with Judy Alvarez. I liked her storyline so I kept agreeing to do stuff for her too. Turns out she was a romance option for a female character, so yes!

Finally, I got involved with some of Johnny's quests, tried to help him patch up with the few surviving friends from his past - Rogue, and the members from Samurai. Because of that, in the choice of the final path I had the option for Johnny to take control and for him and Rogue to storm Arasaka, get me into Mikoshi, and have Alt rip Johnny out of my skull and that would be that.

I almost opted to call Panem and ask for her help on this first ending but Johnny convinced me not to - saying that any of their death's would be on my conscience. So I went with Rogue instead - fewer deaths on my mind; and I liked the characters in the Aldecaldos more than I liked Rogue.

Long story short, we jump into a bomber and head over to Arasaka tower.

Alt crashes a satellite to cut comms to/from Arasaka. We jump in guns blazing and make our way to Mikoshi. Alt tells me my brain is too far gone and even though she can take Johnny out, my own body will kill me in 6 months because it see's V's psyche as the intruder. It is configured for Johnny's engram now. Johnny says he promised to help me out and sacrifices himself....

I wake up with Judy next to me. Cool, I think, good ending. Even better it looks like I'm in a posh pad. Apparently I've been doing good for myself since the raid on Mikoshi. Then she tells me she's leaving because she still doesn't fit in NC and because I've been shutting her out. I let her go. In the end cutscenes I'm preparing for a one-woman assault on an orbital platform called Crystal Palace, and the ending messages give the gist that I'm going to become a living legend.

I think this is the "I know I'm gonna die so I might as well go out guns blazing" ending. This made me think back to the beginning of the game, where Dexter asks you "Would you rather live in peace as Mr. Nobody and die of old age, smelling of urine, or go down for all times in a blaze of glory before seeing your thirtieth?"

Something else stuck out at me. When we were with Rogue on the bomber she said "Only a fool keeps doing the same thing and expecting something different to happen." At the time I was like, huh, we're doing yet another aerial assault on Arasaka, with Johnny and Rogue. The first two times also ended up as disappointments, so why am I doing this again?

Ultimately it was because of that line that I thought this ending was less than ideal. Yeah sure I went out in a blaze of glory but what about the other path....getting Panam's help?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

raydude wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:02 pm So I finished the main campaign with two different endings over the past two days. Spoilers and some thoughts ahoy! I'll post some mission names so you can see if you're going down that road.

In both endings I started out as a fem corporat. Invested heavily in intelligence and cool, followed by reflexes then tech and finally body. I was a female technogeek, good at sneaking and able to hold her own in a firefight by finding and making use of cover. Most of the time though I initiated the firefight on my own terms, after taking out a lot of guards via quickhacks. I also had a bit of a code of honor - no explicit hitman jobs unless the person was already wanted by NCPD. So that meant I would not take jobs where only the fixer pronounced the person's guilt. This also made me gravitate more towards Regina's jobs.

First ending:
Spoiler:
If you've done Tapeworm, Chippin' In and Blisterin Love you're probably headed down this path.

So I met up with Panam, a nomad of the Aldecaldo's clan and wanna-be NC merc.
From the dialogue choices it appeared that I could banter with her - which meant I probably could start a romance path with her (so I thought). So I was all friendly and flirty like and kept agreeing to her missions. Long story short, I found out she didn't play for the other team (awkward) but she considered me a close friend. Also got her back in with her clan which made me an honorary member. They said they'd have my back whenever I needed help. More on that later.

I also got in good with Judy Alvarez. I liked her storyline so I kept agreeing to do stuff for her too. Turns out she was a romance option for a female character, so yes!

Finally, I got involved with some of Johnny's quests, tried to help him patch up with the few surviving friends from his past - Rogue, and the members from Samurai. Because of that, in the choice of the final path I had the option for Johnny to take control and for him and Rogue to storm Arasaka, get me into Mikoshi, and have Alt rip Johnny out of my skull and that would be that.

I almost opted to call Panem and ask for her help on this first ending but Johnny convinced me not to - saying that any of their death's would be on my conscience. So I went with Rogue instead - fewer deaths on my mind; and I liked the characters in the Aldecaldos more than I liked Rogue.

Long story short, we jump into a bomber and head over to Arasaka tower.

Alt crashes a satellite to cut comms to/from Arasaka. We jump in guns blazing and make our way to Mikoshi. Alt tells me my brain is too far gone and even though she can take Johnny out, my own body will kill me in 6 months because it see's V's psyche as the intruder. It is configured for Johnny's engram now. Johnny says he promised to help me out and sacrifices himself....

I wake up with Judy next to me. Cool, I think, good ending. Even better it looks like I'm in a posh pad. Apparently I've been doing good for myself since the raid on Mikoshi. Then she tells me she's leaving because she still doesn't fit in NC and because I've been shutting her out. I let her go. In the end cutscenes I'm preparing for a one-woman assault on an orbital platform called Crystal Palace, and the ending messages give the gist that I'm going to become a living legend.

I think this is the "I know I'm gonna die so I might as well go out guns blazing" ending. This made me think back to the beginning of the game, where Dexter asks you "Would you rather live in peace as Mr. Nobody and die of old age, smelling of urine, or go down for all times in a blaze of glory before seeing your thirtieth?"

Something else stuck out at me. When we were with Rogue on the bomber she said "Only a fool keeps doing the same thing and expecting something different to happen." At the time I was like, huh, we're doing yet another aerial assault on Arasaka, with Johnny and Rogue. The first two times also ended up as disappointments, so why am I doing this again?

Ultimately it was because of that line that I thought this ending was less than ideal. Yeah sure I went out in a blaze of glory but what about the other path....getting Panam's help?
Very cool. Thanks for posting the detailed write-up in the spoiler tags, a very well told tale there :D
raydude

Post by raydude »

Second ending:
Spoiler:
If you've made friends with Panam and keep doing her missions you'll be able to go down this path.
I started from the point where the game warns you there is no turning back but this time I chose to call Panam.

Panam tells me she's going to pick me up and in the interim Misty waits with me and gives me a reading. I like Misty, she's a good person. She and Vic are good reminders that not everyone is bad in NC. Panam takes me back to the Aldecaldos, where Saul pronounces me an official Aldecaldo and gives me a jacket. Also, because of that the whole clan is riding to battle to help me.

And what else is the clan bringing to the battle? Why their own Panzer of course!

This one I helped Panam liberate from Militech, so of course I'm going to get to drive and shoot it! Mitch has upgraded it from when I first helped steal it, so now it has multiple launch homing rockets in addition to it's twin cannon.

Since the Aldecaldos don't have their own bomber we're doing something different. There's a Militech boring machine that's creates tunnels for a new mag-lev system into Night City. We're gonna hijack it, bore into Arasaka tower, and infiltrate into Mikoshi. The initial raid on the Militech construction site is awesome. The Panzer craps out once or twice but I manage to knock out the incoming armor reinforcements that Militech sends in.

Saul, Panam and I make our way up to Mikoshi. I had contacted Alt to help me out once I get into Mikoshi. When I told Saul he freaked out that I was consorting with an AI, so I only told Panam that Alt was the best netrunner ever. Only she doesn't live in NC anymore. But she'll help me out.

Afterwards, same story. Alt can get Johnny out of my brain but my body has already been reconfigured to accept Johnny's engram. It will be 6 months tops. I say "Sorry Johnny, I can't do it. I can't give you my body." I wake up and Panam lets me take one last look at NC before we leave. I'm heading out with the Aldecaldos to go south of the border, then cut across and into Arizona. There Panam says they have contacts that could still help me.

And guess who's waiting for me at the camp? Judy decided she wants to leave NC with me. We both talk about how it feels like we're betraying NC by leaving.

A massive dust storm gives our clan cover as we make our way to the border and through a tunnel to the other side. V is free. Fade to black, then that crackling Relic malfunction noise before you hear V say "No!"

I like this ending. It's the "I've finally found a family" ending for both V and Judy. Plus, I like the thought of the three women: Panam, V, and Judy, working together and helping each other out.

Funny tho: in the ending holo calls Mama Welles chews me out for joining the Aldecaldos. I guess to her a gang is a gang. Still, there was a sequence in the assault on Mikoshi where we encounter some dead technicians, killed by Alt. Panam says "The security forces were trying to help them evacuate" and Saul says "they were non-combatants. There was no need for them to die." Based on those statements I knew Panam and Saul at least have their hearts in the right place. It seems like they too have a code of honor.

And finally, Judy's ending holo was great. She says she is truly happy for the first time in her life.

I did have another choice in both these endings - letting V die and having Johnny take her body. I didn't feel like that would be an appropriate ending as it feels like 2077 was a way of passing the baton from the old characters to the new. Rogue and Johnny mentioned that they can't go back to who they were, Samurai will not get back together and do another album, and even another character was mentioned as the son of a prominent character from the 2020 RPG. So yeah, I think Johnny leaving was a fitting end and a final closing of the chapter for the characters I remember from Cyberpunk 2020.

Cyberpunk is dead! Long live Cyberpunk!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Avoiding too much mission/ending data; I appreciate the spoilers!

I've spent a lot of time in Night City now, over 85 hours and at Level 39/Street Cred 50 (60%/15%/20%), and haven't advanced the main story past the first two or three missions. I haven't even talked to Takemura for the second time. Most of my attention has gone into Gigs, Side Missions, and NCPD Hustles. I stop to thrash most random thugs/assaults I find as I drive around. I'd have probably accomplished everything in the game if I didn't do that.

Some thoughts...
  • Skippy:
    Spoiler:
    I had no idea this gun transitioned between modes, but that's fine. I don't really use Smart Weapons and I think I've heard everything he has to say now. It sounds like I just need to get a few more kills with him to advance his plot.
  • Racing:
    Spoiler:
    Really disappointing. Races aren't actual races. It's all faked. I had to step away from my computer after starting one and discovered all of the cars were waiting just out of sight on the road when I came back, and once even watched by spinning my camera on a straight-away as they fell back behind me - only to magically appear behind me again when I spun the camera around. There is NO driving AI for racing. Your opponents just teleport around behind you once you pass them.
  • Driving: My favorite car, by far, is the Quadra Type-66 "Javelina" that you can get for $78,000. Max speed of 190, great handling (maybe the best in the game?), good dirt traction, fairly durable. I've bought two other Type-66 cars and neither has the same handling specs. The stock "silver" one is a sloppy fat-assed mess to drive, and the "Cthulhu" is marginally better. To test-drive the Javelina, head out into the wastes and find a blue/black Nomad version of the Type-66. Same speed/handling specs as the Javelina. After my first test drive I fell in love and had to have my own. The Caliburn is a pretty good car, too - faster and also with good handling - but is far more expensive, not as good on dirt, and doesn't look as good when it gets banged up.
  • Flamingos: They're everywhere. Once you notice, you can't stop seeing them.
  • Crafting: I have to admit to abusing it now that the limit on save file size has been lifted. Abusing it is the ONLY way to actually afford much of the top-tier stuff, from implants to cars to crafting specs. It becomes a way to basically print money. I expect it will get fixed in the future.
    Spoiler:
    Make Epic/Legendary grenades and break them down for more parts than you used to make them. Make Legendary sniper rifles that sell for $4,000. Repeat. I wouldn't normally do this, but there are far too many high-end items and not enough income to get them. Maybe that's a balance thing the developers intended, but it annoys me all the same and I want "all the things".
  • Bugs: I have only encountered one game-breaking bug, discussed here. The "Find a body in the ice" bug from a Cyberpsycho mission. I loaded a previous quicksave from before I arrived at the scene and re-did everything in the right order and it worked as expected (approaching from the road, not over the buildings). I think it' breaks if you don't follow the right order of operations in the mission. Every other bug has been survivable without losing progress, from cars phasing through each other or the ground to poor AI. The most amusing one to date was loading my game and moving to the driver seat of Panam's car, while she was driving. We occupied the same space, and I was literally seeing behind her eyes until I got out.
  • Tech Weapons: I really don't know which developer thought it was okay to give players a way to wall-hack, but I now know why it's one of the most commonly abused cheats in online shooters. I switch things up between wiping maps with this, stealth take-downs, and stealth sniping with a silenced assault rifle. Depends on the objectives and my mood. Most random street incursions are just quick slaughters with Tech shots through walls and boxes.
  • Implants and mods: I really like the large variety of options for fine-tuning the play options and enhancing yourself.
  • Clothes: I found an outfit I really liked (I look like a riot cop with Corpo glasses and a Corpo hat) and have stuck with it through massive upgrades. Part of the reason I've been abusing Crafting is to afford increasingly expensive upgrades to keep my preferred clothing up to par with what I find on dead enemies. Upgrading Legendary clothing/guns to ever-increasing levels is an amazingly potent way to increase Crafting skill levels. I think that if I upgrade my jacket again, I'll get something like 4,000xp for doing it.
  • Night City: The richness of the city at every corner is why I still don't use fast-travel. Even the barren wastes have their own character that I enjoy exploring. Again, I'd have saved a LOT of time with fast-travel and done more in 85+ hours, but I have been enjoying just driving around in my Javelina between missions and objectives.
  • Characters: I've really enjoyed the writing for everyone in the game, and had more than one or two "Cool!" moments just from character reveals and dialog. I loved that they slipped in a trans-gender character as an important person you work with and don't make any kind of big deal about it. It just is, and it wasn't revealed until it was appropriate in dialog. I also said exactly what my character said when I met Ozob for the first time.
  • Combat: Everything really is overpowered, and that's fine. Smart guns are overpowered. Tech weapons are overpowered. Stealth sniping is overpowered. Melee is overpowered. It's all about fun, and it is. I've also had a lot of fun trying to simply be sneaky, but it seems like body discovery is bugged and sometimes a KO'd body that hasn't been properly "dumped" will automagically be found despite no one being near it.
  • Dialog/World Options vs. Stats: I don't think it's much of a spoiler, but will anyway.
    Spoiler:
    Tech 20 has been useful for a few dialogs. Intelligence and Body 12 have been useful for some dialogs and world options. Reflexes and Cool haven't really had any "application" in dialog beyond maybe 8 in each. It's possible that the game is showing me options that are close to my stats and I'm just not seeing high-end uses for other skills. I somehow doubt it.
After 85 hours, though, I'm finally starting to work through the more important side missions and main storylines and looking forward to wrapping it up. I expect it's a game I'll play again once most of the bugs are ironed out a couple DLC's have been added.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I didn't abuse anything and had enough money to buy everything. I think your car problem might also be your cash problem, that or you aren't selling the stuff that is worth decent cash (mostly shirts/jackets as I recall). :lol: I was around half a million when I started buying up cars just to clear them from the map.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:48 am I didn't abuse anything and had enough money to buy everything. I think your car problem might also be your cash problem, that or you aren't selling the stuff that is worth decent cash (mostly shirts/jackets as I recall). :lol:
Perhaps, although I've only purchased four cars. The Caliburn and three Type-66 models. It could be, too, that in breaking down every single item I find, I'm gimping my cash flow as well. You don't accumulate 20,000 Common parts, 10,000 Uncommon parts, 5,000 Rare parts, and 3,000 Epic parts through resale of items. I hardly ever sell anything I loot.

The cars cost me a total of around $300,000. I've probably dropped more than that in my implants alone - from the $45,000 leg upgrade to Double-Jump to the 200-point skin armor upgrade - and maybe half as much in crafting Specs to make new items. For some reason I've become obsessed with finding clothing specs, like maybe I'll finally unlock outfit parts I really like and will finally be able to just craft my own gear to match my level without upgrading. I'll probably get it all settled when I hit 50, have upgraded all my favorite gear to match, and it won't matter by then.

I got in the habit of breaking items down when I was low level and nothing was worth more than $50 on the market. I've kept doing it even though the guns and clothes I'm finding could still sell for $400 to $900. Maybe by Level 50 things are worth $500 to $1200?

Forgot a different bug: Johnny's Boots. I crafted the Rare versions into Epic and then Legendary. I now have Legendary, Epic, and Rare Johnny's Boots. The game is supposed to consume those items when they're upgraded. I can't sell them or stuff them in my stash (I'm guessing they end up quest-related).
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.