The Viral Economy

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: The Viral Economy

Post by $iljanus »

The vaccines are starting to roll out. Just throw a lifeline to people and businesses for a while longer and we can get through this. The cruelty knows no bounds.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

all the congresscritters responsible for this abhorrent crud of a 'relief act' should just be thrown out of office; blanket wipe, start over, try again. fwiw. so much for 'representing the people'
stessier

Post by stessier »

They also made it a felony to stream illegal material. That is going to fundamentally change things like Twitch.

Does anyone know if the 600 is the same as last time where it doesn't effect one's tax return?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Formix

Post by Formix »

stessier wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:43 am They also made it a felony to stream illegal material. That is going to fundamentally change things like Twitch.

Does anyone know if the 600 is the same as last time where it doesn't effect one's tax return?
According to CNBC, the checks are not taxable.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/20/everyth ... hecks.html
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Is everyone getting a check this time or are they applying the same income limits they did last time?
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:59 am Is everyone getting a check this time or are they applying the same income limits they did last time?
I'm not 100% sure (I'm still trying to read through the 5 pages of rules for how they will determine and acknowledge the next Dalai Lama), but I think it's unchanged. That is, if you received a payment 8 months ago, you get a payment soon-ish. If you didn't get one then, you don't get one now. I could be totally wrong though.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:59 am Is everyone getting a check this time or are they applying the same income limits they did last time?
Internet suggests it goes down $5 for every $100 you made above $75,000 in 2019 down to $0 for $99,000
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I believe the income limits were $75/150k.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:23 am I believe the income limits were $75/150k.
Is it a double BAM if I posted before you a summary of what I linked to on the last page?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Toomey was on CNBC yesterday defending Mnuchin and shutting down the business loan provision saying that it's should only be used in a time of crisis and we aren't in a crisis anymore.

This is the thinking. We aren't having running gun battles in the streets between piles of COVID corpses so go eat cake.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:24 am Toomey was on CNBC yesterday defending Mnuchin and shutting down the business loan provision saying that it's should only be used in a time of crisis and we aren't in a crisis anymore.

This is the thinking. We aren't having running gun battles in the streets between piles of COVID corpses so go eat cake.
To be fair, the crisis is over. They all got head of line for the vaccine.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:24 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:23 am I believe the income limits were $75/150k.
Is it a double BAM if I posted before you a summary of what I linked to on the last page?
At least a single.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:29 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:24 am Toomey was on CNBC yesterday defending Mnuchin and shutting down the business loan provision saying that it's should only be used in a time of crisis and we aren't in a crisis anymore.

To be fair, the crisis is over. They all got head of line for the vaccine.
The crises was over when they stock market went from declining to record highs. Everything else is just incidental.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Its too late to arrive for Christmas, and its not enough to pay for literally anything if you've been in the hole since March.

This amount is like leaving a 1 penny tip for the waitress. Its an insult to the populace.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The only fun thing about the latest Trump evilness with his threatened veto is it puts Mitchypoo between a rock and a hard place.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

House Republicans block the $2K check:
Republicans in the House blocked a bill put forward by Democrats on Thursday that would have sent $2,000 checks to individuals as part of a coronavirus financial aid package, up from the $600 agreed to in the measure approved by Congress earlier this week that President Donald Trump criticized as too meager.

“Democrats agree with the president,” said House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer in a press conference following the vote. “$600 is not enough for individuals who have been struggling…it’s not enough to provide the boost our economy needs.”

The House of Representatives will reconvene on Monday, Dec. 28th, when Democrats plan to hold a roll-call vote on the bill that will require individual representatives to vote on the record on a standalone bill that would increase relief payments to $2,000.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:o
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The GOP is selling the block as they support the $2000 but they want all of Trumps demands met. So it's not about not supporting $2000 but about drawing the line on pork that isn't Trump's. (Oh and things like money to the EPA)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Some fool on FB posted an image of Nancy Pelosi with the caption "You'll take your $600 and like it peasants" .....I find it shocking how delusional Republicans can be blaming the Dems for the low stimulus.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Larry Summers says $2000 checks would overheat the economy. Oh no -- WHAT WOULD HAPPEN? Too much recovery? Inflation!?! What calamity awaits us?!? :doh:

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

F it. Write us $2000 checks and tell the Republicans to write themselves some $20,000 checks for all I care as long as we get our's. Seems the only way they'd do it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

For low-income people, $600 is substantial. Not life-altering, but it definitely registers. However, these payments are aimed at the middle class as well. $600 is a welcome little windfall for someone earning $75k, but no more than a nice holiday bonus, really. $2,000 will make the better-off people take notice, but of course it's more expensive than McConnell and his crew will go for. Republicans hate handouts. It's part of Republicanning.

I like free money as much as the next guy, but I'd rather see lower-income people get bigger payments. The fewer checks you hand out, the larger they can be.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:36 pm I like free money as much as the next guy, but I'd rather see lower-income people get bigger payments. The fewer checks you hand out, the larger they can be.
That's me. 50 million people in the US don't know where their next meal is coming from. I get that targeting is inefficient, etc... but screw the checks, extend unemployment and flood the food give aways
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:55 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:36 pm I like free money as much as the next guy, but I'd rather see lower-income people get bigger payments. The fewer checks you hand out, the larger they can be.
That's me. 50 million people in the US don't know where their next meal is coming from. I get that targeting is inefficient, etc... but screw the checks, extend unemployment and flood the food give aways
Yep. And keep unemployment generous.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Nailed it.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Noted stable genius Trump just signed the covid/omnibus bill after days of yelling about it and demanding changes. Maybe someone reminded him he needs these people for the performative faux autocoup on January 6th?

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess someone go through to him that 40+ million homeless people won't be blamed on Biden if he failed to sign it? Maybe all that golfing he did this weekend really made him appreciate the struggling Americans.
malchior

Post by malchior »

His signing statement is flat out unhinged. However, there is some red meat for the tea party base in there. He is sending back a rescission list which I hadn't seen used...in a long time. I'm guessing Bush or Clinton administration. Anyway, it allows him to delay implementing spending and starts a clock for Congress to consider the rescission. If they ignore it, the spending law stands. Weird stuff. I sort of remember them talking about doing this a few years ago but that fell apart when they lost the House.

Edit: Fuck you #CocaineMitch. "...as quickly as possible". No. People are going to lose a week of benefits because Trump threw a tantrum and acted like a tiny tot-brained tyrant.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id LOVE to see that asshole Mitch survive on uneployment funds and a $600 check for at least a year.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'd love to see him not survive.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

House is currently voting on raising the relief amount to $2,000. So far all Dems = Yea, Some Repugnicans = Nay. Senate vote will be under a microscope.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:28 pm House is currently voting on raising the relief amount to $2,000. So far all Dems = Yea, Some Repugnicans = Nay. Senate vote will be under a microscope.
McConnell killed it, as turtles do.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

To be clear, he killed Schumer's unanimous consent request. That doesn't mean that the $2000 won't be voted on in the Senate later this week.
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:51 pm To be clear, he killed Schumer's unanimous consent request. That doesn't mean that the $2000 won't be voted on in the Senate later this week.
Yeah though it'd be fair to expect McConnell to bury this plank in favor of others.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

malchior wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:53 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:51 pm To be clear, he killed Schumer's unanimous consent request. That doesn't mean that the $2000 won't be voted on in the Senate later this week.
Yeah though it'd be fair to expect McConnell to bury this plank in favor of others.
But Moscow Mitch risks his majority by waiting. Though hopefully GA will be out of reach from early voting.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Fuck McConnell.
The Kentucky Republican later Tuesday introduced a bill that would boost the size of the checks to $2,000 from $600, repeal Section 230 legal liability protections for internet platforms and create a commission to study election issues. The bill would meet all of President Donald Trump’s recent demands, which are unrelated, but would not get Democratic support and become law.

Through the bill, Republicans would both avoid the act of actually passing $2,000 payments but allow GOP senators running for reelection in Georgia’s Jan. 5 runoffs to express support for Trump’s priorities.

In a statement Tuesday, Schumer said if McConnell “tries loading up” the bill “with unrelated, partisan provisions that will do absolutely nothing to help struggling families across the country,” larger direct payments would not become law.

“Any move like this by Sen. McConnell would be a blatant attempt to deprive Americans of a $2,000 survival check,” he said.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Fuck them all. People are dying, and not just COVID. Stress is literally killing people. Not all excess deaths are viral.

People are jobless, homeless, and foodless. Some may not know it yet, but in a few months they will.

I don't care which side of the aisle, they aren't getting it done. Yeah, McConnel is a piece of shit. But if the Dems can't overcome him, what good are they? The GOP managed to get Trump in the Whitehouse. Fucking Donald Trump.

The Dems have been held to heel by McConnel for over a decade. A million excuses? Sure. Don't care.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

There are so many examples of countries who are giving aid to their citizens without hesitation and they aren't Communist regimes.

This ride or die capitalism is complete bullshit during an emergency.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:55 am Fuck them all.
This is where I'm at too. I'm all for giving Biden a chance to stabilize it but I have little faith he will. Not with the same cast of malcontents and incompetents at the wheel.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:55 am Fuck them all. People are dying, and not just COVID. Stress is literally killing people. Not all excess deaths are viral.

People are jobless, homeless, and foodless. Some may not know it yet, but in a few months they will.

I don't care which side of the aisle, they aren't getting it done. Yeah, McConnel is a piece of shit. But if the Dems can't overcome him, what good are they? The GOP managed to get Trump in the Whitehouse. Fucking Donald Trump.

The Dems have been held to heel by McConnel for over a decade. A million excuses? Sure. Don't care.
At the very least if they can't overcome his messaging and make it clear every single day exactly what McConnel and his GOP are doing then, yeah they're not doing enough. If you are powerless then you are powerless. If there is no alternative to being held hostage to GOP tyranny then there is no alternative but you should spend your effort making every move public clearly and loudly. That's where AOC gets at least a B+. I'm not sure about the clearly part but she uses her position to broadcast the workings of Congress loudly and often. Clarity would move above opining would move her up in my book. Though I must concede the Twitter does not make that easy. Link, link, link to more in depth factual attention to clear details.

My congressperson, Talib, uses here ability to spam my phone to good use. She doesn't do it self promote, but to point to resources and provide townhalls that provide resources. It is one of her best traits. A first for me.