Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Video Games Randomness

Post by Daehawk »

Tried both. Reloading and restarting does not help. I refuse to replay that entire lvl again. I died a lot and had to keep at it and Im sick of it. There are no cheats for this. I can give myself all kinds of weps or enhance my suit but there are no lvl skip codes or kill enemy codes. Guess Im done. After this Im not bothering with the other two either. Everything seems buggy on my machine now and Im tired of it. And yet Ive finished this game at least twice in the past. screw it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:47 pm hmmm..I thought I had to login with my name and pass of Steam to link it to GOG when I did it. Cant recall now. You'd think all GOG would need is your profile link like other sites do that show your library on them.
Hmmm... I guess that's just making sure you own both accounts?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I just bought Carrion on Steam. Pretty interesting, and fun. It's basically a Metroid-style game but you play the part of an extremely amorphous, not to mention agile, Thing-like creature that escapes from a lab and runs riot. It's sadistically thrilling to hear the panicked shrieks of the various civilians who notice you've escaped, about two seconds before you eat them. :D

I waited for a sale because even the positive reviews mentioned that the game is short and has no replay value. I can see that being the case, but I'm certainly enjoying it in the meantime.
I no longer post here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The KFConsole...a tiny PC. Even has a drawer to keep your chicken warm. its a real item lol

https://landing.coolermaster.com/kfconsole/
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just finished Crysis and started Crysis 2 and wow the graphics look awful in 2. They are blurry and almost unreadable and hard to see in. I have it at native res and ultra settings. I dont remember it looking so ugly all those years ago. But wow.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Testing "Learning Factory Beta", which is Luden.io's attempt at a factory assembly line game, where you mine resources, combine it with machines, and generate stuff for cats to "buy" in stores.

However, it gets complicated when cats needed to be "sorted" as each store can only sell like 5 things, but different cats want different things. Simple cats want a yarnball, knitting cats want plain cotton (which can be processed into yarn balls), crafty cats want wood and metal, wood can be processed into boxes, and wood + metal + cotton = claw sharpener. That's 6 items.

So that means I have to create 2 stores, cotton + yarnball and wood + box in one store, then wood + metal + claw sharpener in the other.

I may have to study that again. There is a truth table I can create, sort of boolean logic, I guess.

EDIT: Interesting, each cat wants something else. It's a bit frustrating to play as it doesn't log the failures so I can try to meet them.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Do you ever have to make a difficult jump in a game and you lean into it so hard you start knocking stuff off your desk?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I have too much crap on my desk to do that. :D I really need to clean it up. :D
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:41 pm Do you ever have to make a difficult jump in a game and you lean into it so hard you start knocking stuff off your desk?
I think that's why they recommend a clearing when using VR ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't know (yet) if it deserves it's own thread, but I'm enjoying the *hell* out of Yakuza 0. It's not quite what I expected (I thought it was going to be more like Sleeping Dogs), but it's been quite enjoyable regardless. Near as I can tell, the entire point of the game is to completely beat on random thugs until they explode with money. Plus I met a super polite police officer that wants to know what I'm carrying (he checks my inventory) and a guy named Mr. Shakedown that just whales on your and takes all your money (completing the circle of life in the game).

It's been a real trip! Would recommend!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:16 pm The KFConsole...a tiny PC. Even has a drawer to keep your chicken warm. its a real item lol

https://landing.coolermaster.com/kfconsole/
I’m still not convinced this isn’t a joke. The inherent dangers of having greasy chicken near a motherboard strikes me as insurmountable.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I'm nearly near the end myself and I've been playing it the last several months. Like you, it wasn't quite what I expected, given I'm new to the series, and at first I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, but It's grown on me and I think it's great fun. Just when I think I've discovered everything, new character interactions get introduced.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:21 pm I don't know (yet) if it deserves it's own thread, but I'm enjoying the *hell* out of Yakuza 0.
They all deserve their own thread. If you are motivated to make a post, it's worth a thread. Discussing a specific game here makes it hard to locate discussion on the game.

If you post a new thread and there is no discussion and you walk away from it too, it drops out of sight, no harm done.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Because I dont have room to store my games all alphabetically I always am searching for a game I want..always. Ive searched all day before and never found a game I know I own. Other times Ive searched all day to find it right before bed.

this time its Far Cry 2. I know I own it in the box. But of course it isn't stored beside Far Cry 1. Looking at my games online I see I have FC1, FC3, FC4, FC5, FC5ND...but not FC2 OF COURSE! The one I want to replay.

All my games I can find except the one I always want lol. Some alien science at work here.
Zarathud

Video Games Randomness

Post by Zarathud »

This is Video Games Randomness. If you want order, that’s another thread. And compulsion.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What was the wargame that had you issue orders, then press play for a real-time round of combat?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Isgrimnur wrote:What was the wargame that had you issue orders, then press play for a real-time round of combat?
That sounds like Combat Mission. I loved that game!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thank you. Apparently still around as of a 2018 release, Combat Mission Shock Force 2
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Wow, Disco Elysium has probably the best writing I’ve ever seen in a game. Absolutely stellar. It’s pretty intense though, I can only play it in small doses.

I’m less of a fan of how often decisions can lead inexplicably to death. Especially when it’s at the end of long dialog trees and when I haven’t saved in a while. :evil:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

SESO!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

just completed The Room. puzzles weren't exactly difficult and it took about 4 1/2 hours to beat, but the mechanisms to open portions of each puzzle box were satisfying.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:58 pm Thank you. Apparently still around as of a 2018 release, Combat Mission Shock Force 2
I own almost all the Combat Mission iterations. I’m glad Battlefront is starting to distribute it on Steam and hopefully their WW2 stuff will be next so I can grab a Steam key for those games too. The modern setting is fun but I think the WW2 setting is my favorite.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Actually Battlefront sold that game to Matrix and they put it on Steam.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

dbt1949 wrote:Actually Battlefront sold that game to Matrix and they put it on Steam.
Ahh, that's right!
Black lives matter!

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I loathe games without a save anywhere or quicksave. Checkpoints suck hard. Crysis let me save when I wanted. Crysis 2 does not and for 2 days Ive been stuck on an spot that even when i get pretty far from and die it STILL loads me way back there at the shitty spot. Im about fed up on it. Hate this type decision in dev. Its my game. F you and your story if I want to save it to make it more fun for me.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i've been actively trying to use quicksave less in Serious Sam 4. requires some discipline for sure.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:54 pm I loathe games without a save anywhere or quicksave. Checkpoints suck hard. Crysis let me save when I wanted. Crysis 2 does not and for 2 days Ive been stuck on an spot that even when i get pretty far from and die it STILL loads me way back there at the shitty spot. Im about fed up on it. Hate this type decision in dev. Its my game. F you and your story if I want to save it to make it more fun for me.
Criticizing an almost 10 year old game's save system seems...strange. There's a reason I don't go back and play very many old games - some of them are frustratingly dense. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Picked up Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor/Martyr because it was $5 on PS4. I’m not really into the WH universe, but this ARPG is surprisingly fun. From what I understand, it was a bit of a mess on release and has been steadily patched back up to a decent state over the last year-ish.

I’m still very early on so we’ll see how it holds up, but first impressions are very good.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FInished Train Mechanic, it's okay.

Trying Fights in Tight Spaces, a card-based HTH CQC game in an art style vaguely reminiscent of SuperHot, but is actually isometric with rotation, that basically casts you as the hero beating up countless thugs wielding all sorts of weapons and employing different tactics. No guns for you, and no weapons. Your martial arts will do fine. You can't take many hits, but with the right combo, maybe you don't have to take ANY hits...
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:47 pm Picked up Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor/Martyr because it was $5 on PS4. I’m not really into the WH universe, but this ARPG is surprisingly fun. From what I understand, it was a bit of a mess on release and has been steadily patched back up to a decent state over the last year-ish.

I’m still very early on so we’ll see how it holds up, but first impressions are very good.
Yeah, never mind. This game is...not great. I got past the intro levels and into the game proper, and it seems to be taking quite a nose dive. First off, there’s vey little loot at all. For an ARPG, that’s a problem. Most maps, which are all quite small and take 10-15 minutes to complete, you might get 4-5 pieces of loot from mobs and find a single chest. And so far (level 13), almost nothing I find is even incrementally better than the gear I already have. Everything I find is just vendor trash.

The combat is decent enough, I guess, but isn’t terribly exciting. All skills are tied to weapons, so you can either swap out like crazy, or stick with the 4 measly skills you get with one weapon. Add in the fact that many mission have you wandering around through large open areas where enemies are few and far between, and it doesn’t feel particularly compelling.

So far, It’s feels like a boring version of Diablo with minimal loot, not nearly as many interesting skill choices, and dull maps. The Warhammer lore is kinda interesting, I guess, but for someone who hasn’t ever really played a WH game before, it can be a bit overwhelming. I’ll give it a little more time tomorrow and see if it gets more interesting, but my initial impressions are that I’m really glad it was only $10. And if this is the “vastly improved” 2.0 version, I’d hate to see what it looked like before.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

at level 50 I there are so many drops I have to start dropping blues. I have found the game sort of holds your hand to level 20 after you are geared in some greens and purples try upping the difficulty.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Games with choice wheels are starting to make me mad. Both Crysis 2 and 3 and RDO.

The Crysis games have you choose your suit use fro ma wheel..cloak or armor and such. But when I move my mouse left to grab armor it goes to the top and hits open visor. I go right for cloak and hit wep upgrade. Ive done it slow and watched it bounce between the choice...they are so close. Wish they'd change it and remove a couple choices.

Red Dead Online its a weapons wheel and Im using a controller but have the same problem. Want to use my bow but it will give me the rope beside it....want my shotgun..nope you can have the rope again. ARGH. I die so much to this BS. And another irk with RDO is left click stick is duck and right click stick is bullet time. Im CONSTANTLY ducking and in bullet time when Im trying to run around fast to avoid fire or to aim at moving enemies. Wish I could remove duck and bullet time.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Playing MarZ: Tactical Base Defense, i.e. Tower Defense. Originally titled MarZ Rising, it got a name change as it probably sounded a bit tacky. I'm 75% done, but the last few missions will be tough. They are gradually introducing limitations. Mission 15 was "no superweapons", i.e. towers only. Previously did they one where you get "no comms" (no superweapons and no reinforcement crew). Read a walkthru where they said 17 will be "no reinforcements", which means I can ONLY have like X towers. Hmmm...

Made it all the way a 3rd time in Fights in Tight Spaces when I managed to setup the boss the right way to kick him out the door.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Any one seen Ram Pressure? Saw it mentioned in that Turn-based Steam group. Idea looks good... an updated XCOM with engine that' looks a bit more like the remake's engine but still set in the 2000's thus conventional weaponry, where you play a mercenary group commander tasked with obtaining the goodies from a downed alien ship where you need to fight both the aliens, but hostile mercs intending on doing the same thing. It's early access so most features aren't in and initial impressions are pretty lackluster, but it seems to have potential.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I finally finished Uncharted: Golden Abyss on the Playstation Vita some seven years and three months after I started it. I finally know what the Golden Abyss is. As I recall, I got my Vita just before they switched from OLED to LED screens. Mine came with an Uncharted code as the pack in game. I started the game back in 2013. I enjoyed it and really admired the graphics on a handheld, but I grew frustrated with some of the over the top motion and touch controls. A few would be cool, but they had no restraint. Picture taking and charcoal rubbing required 100% completion or you got no credit. It was easy to get to 90% which is where they should have said, good enough, but no you have to hunt for that last pixel to rub or the exact zoom level to get credit. So I set it down to try some of the PS plus games I had.

I got back to it when I hunted down a bigger memory card for the vita and transferred it over. I think there was some PC utility for that. Anyway, eventually the game was corrupted on the memory card and wouldn't play. In retrospect, I should have deleted it and redownloaded. Most sites at the time recommended reformatting the memory card. So I waited until I finished the other games I was playing on the vita. With PS Plus monthly games and a few gifts, that took a while.

Last year, I booted up the vita after it had been idle a while. Now everything on the card was corrupted. So I finally reformatted the memory card and redownloaded Uncharted. Everything worked great. I made some real progress in the game and most of the annoying motion and touch activities became optional. There are 34 chapters, but most are short. I'd pick it up, play a chapter and set it down. I finally finished it yesterday. Of course, the final boss fights were touch screen affairs. SMH. Overall, it was a fun little ride that took me way longer than it should have. I only got a handful of trophies because the game wasn't worth being a completionist for. Besides I didn't have another couple of decades to spend on it. Also the gameplay was closest to the original Uncharted and the series has come so far since then. I might go back and play the Drake collection on the PS4. You know, in a year or two.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Tried playing Greed Corp, but it's not quite catching my attention.

Went back to Radio Commander and played another 2-3 missions. It's... interesting. I have it on easy, so I'm "winning" the war against VC and NVA units, so far. But morale is eroding fast. And every decision you make has implications down the line.

Decided to play Star Crawlers, a scifi themed dungeon crawl where you play a merc who go on missions, recruit others to go with you, nab lots of loot upgrade weapons, and also update your cyberdeck for hacking as you take over the network to unlock doors and whatnot. I have it on easy, so I'm pretty much breezing through the missions, as I now know how to setup my forces and use the extra abilities. Dungeons are procedurally generated and has that "tech" look a bit like Void Bastards, but Star Crawlers is a 2D game that restricts yourself to grids, albeit with some eye candy such as the ability to mouse-look. Some of the "secrets" however, are a bit TOO well hidden, IMHO.

There was a mission where I need to go back to a ghost ship, where the crew and passengers have vanished, and I need to whack a couple "robot leaders" and snag their core for analysis. The mission rep also gave me a code to try on the armory, except that doesn't work, if even you know where that is. Turns out it was hidden on the side where you are encouraged to move along due to some security cam drone loitering about. You need to go to that wall, click on the hint panel a couple times to remove it, and voila, there's a keypad. THEN you enter the code... except it doesn't work, then you have to go find the OTHER code...

As Star Crawler was only like $1.99, due to its sequel/remake Star Crawler Chimera having been announced in December 2020, I'd say this $2 is well spent.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Looks like video cards are about to get more expensive. Well, just one manufacturer so far (ASUS), but I wouldn't be surprised if others were to follow suit with similar arrangements.

https://kotaku.com/loads-of-graphics-ca ... 1845995599

And due to bitcoin mining, the last card I bought 2 years ago, a 1050Ti was already almost out of my budget in the $400+ CND range (something I already had trouble justifying to myself), so any price change stateside is bound to affect other areas too. This hobby is expensive :(
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe it will all crash and companies will go out of business. BACKFIRE. Video card companies should already be boycotted for the prices.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:24 pm Maybe it will all crash and companies will go out of business. BACKFIRE. Video card companies should already be boycotted for the prices.
High-end PC gaming has been a costly endeavour for about as long as I can remember. So if you have champagne tastes on a beer budget, that's on you. But it hardly justifies wishing the entire GPU industry to crash and burn simply because their products exceed your means.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Yeah really. What's eating you Daehawk? Many of the components of the price of a GPU are entirely out of the manufacturers' hands. I didn't read the article because it's Kotaku, but I assume it's something to do with some tariffs that are/about to be imposed.
I no longer post here.