[Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sudy

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Sudy »

Here I believe they were more talking about proof of inoculation being required to visit care homes or the intensive care wing of hospitals, etc. And I was surprised that was rankling people.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Lorini wrote:
The vaccine doesn't give full immunity right? It's 95-96% which is not truly immunity yes?
My (perhaps incorrect!) understanding is that the 95% stat means that it reduces the chance of getting Covid by 95%. For whatever reason, some people still get it even after having been given the vaccine (but perhaps with less severe symptoms?) but most people will be fully immune or at the very least their immune systems combats the virus down to undetectable levels in their system.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

From stuff Ive seen of people who get reinfected their own immunity seems to last about 4 months. So Im guessing the vaccine is good for 4 months right?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:43 pm
Lorini wrote:
The vaccine doesn't give full immunity right? It's 95-96% which is not truly immunity yes?
My (perhaps incorrect!) understanding is that the 95% stat means that it reduces the chance of getting Covid by 95%. For whatever reason, some people still get it even after having been given the vaccine (but perhaps with less severe symptoms?) but most people will be fully immune or at the very least their immune systems combats the virus down to undetectable levels in their system.
It also means that there is a 95% chance that the person you're standing next to doesn't get it. Think about it this way: if only 5% can get it after the vaccine, and you're in a room with 20 people, only one is susceptible. Meaning that the one won't get it either, as none of the 19 people who could give it to him will have it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Daehawk wrote:From stuff Ive seen of people who get reinfected their own immunity seems to last about 4 months. So Im guessing the vaccine is good for 4 months right?
I think it’s too early to know, although I heard somewhere that there was hope that immunity from the vaccine would last longer than immunity if naturally infected.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:20 am
Daehawk wrote:From stuff Ive seen of people who get reinfected their own immunity seems to last about 4 months. So Im guessing the vaccine is good for 4 months right?
I think it’s too early to know, although I heard somewhere that there was hope that immunity from the vaccine would last longer than immunity if naturally infected.
I don't see how. It all requires the same viral material and same body response from the immune system - whether the virus is weakened/inert or thriving and wages all-out war. We're not hearing about widespread re-infections, though. It seems to be a low percentage. Maybe there are slightly different strains of COVID-19 creeping around now and that's the culprit?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Paingod wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:48 am We're not hearing about widespread re-infections, though. It seems to be a low percentage. Maybe there are slightly different strains of COVID-19 creeping around now and that's the culprit?
My wife has seen plenty of re-infections at her job. She said the second infection is often fatal in their residents.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Jeff V wrote:
Paingod wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:48 am We're not hearing about widespread re-infections, though. It seems to be a low percentage. Maybe there are slightly different strains of COVID-19 creeping around now and that's the culprit?
My wife has seen plenty of re-infections at her job. She said the second infection is often fatal in their residents.
Is it confirmed that they have Covid again or are they more vulnerable to other respiratory issues/pathogens after their first bout with Covid-19?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Paingod wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:48 am
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:20 am
I don't see how. It all requires the same viral material and same body response from the immune system - whether the virus is weakened/inert or thriving and wages all-out war. We're not hearing about widespread re-infections, though. It seems to be a low percentage. Maybe there are slightly different strains of COVID-19 creeping around now and that's the culprit?
This is a solid look at the latest science on reinfection.
Reinfections hint that immunity against COVID-19 may be fragile and wane relatively quickly, with implications not just for the risks facing recovered patients, but also for how long future vaccines might protect people. “The question everybody wants to answer is: Is that second one going to be less severe most of the time or not?” says Derek Cummings, who studies infectious disease dynamics at the University of Florida. “And what do reinfections teach us about SARS-CoV-2 immunity in general?”
The Hong Kong patient’s second infection was milder than the first, which is what immunologists would expect, because the first infection typically generates some immunity. That may explain why reinfections are still relatively rare, says Maria Elena Bottazzi, a molecular virologist at Baylor College of Medicine and Texas Children’s Hospital.

They could become more common over the next couple of months if early cases begin to lose their immunity. Reinfections with the four coronaviruses that cause the common cold occur after an average of 12 months, a team led by virologist Lia van der Hoek at Amsterdam University Medical Center recently showed. Van der Hoek thinks COVID-19 may follow that pattern: “I think we’d better prepare for a wave of reinfections over the coming months.” That’s “bad news for those who still believe in herd immunity through natural infections,” she adds, and a worrisome sign for vaccines.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03519-3
Another way that seasonal colds might be contributing to COVID-19 immunity is that a current rhinovirus infection might interfere directly with SARS-CoV-2 — perhaps by kicking off interferon responses, part of the immune system that inhibits viral reproduction. A study6 by Ware and his colleagues, for example, shows that someone with a rhinovirus infection is 70% less likely to also get a common coronavirus infection, compared with someone who doesn’t have the sniffles. Clinical microbiologist Alberto Paniz Mondolfi at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, and colleagues have shown markedly few rhinovirus co-infections in people with SARS-CoV-2 in New York City11. “Rhinovirus is one tough virus,” says Paniz Mondolfi. Its fast growth stops other viruses from taking off, and it could conceivably be outcompeting SARS-CoV-2, he says.

This viral interference might be a powerful effect. Ellen Foxman, an immunologist at the Yale School of Medicine in New Haven, Connecticut, and colleagues have found evidence that rhinoviruses might have derailed the influenza H1N1 pandemic that occurred in 2009, for example12. Hospitalized adults had fewer-than-expected instances of co-infection with both viruses. And, in cell cultures, rhinovirus infection stopped that strain of H1N1 from infecting cells. Foxman is now looking to see whether rhinovirus infection can block SARS-CoV-2; she expects results soon.

Overall, it’s a “very likely scenario” that rhinoviruses and other coronaviruses will help to stem the spread of COVID-19, says Paniz Mondolfi. “I think many virologists, like me, have been waiting for this season to look at how this will evolve.”
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The common cold is the vaccine? THE COMMON COLD IS THE VACCINE!!!!!!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

So... I'm supposed to tongue strangers again? Because they told me I had to stop.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Seeing things where a 2nd infection is a lot deadlier. So thats scary. Then add to it a vaccine makes you have a response to it like you were infected. Now if you DO get COVID it seems easier to die.

Also when I mentioned a month or so ago about having to get a vaccine every 4 months of so and someone mentioned a stick aint bad as diabetics stick themselves all the time.....its not the stick,,,its the body aches, pains, nausea, flu like symptoms or weak covid symptoms that goes with it. Imagine those on first shot then 2 or 3 weeks later again. Then all again in 4 months or so.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Way better than imagining having Covid itself!!!!!!!! Geezus.
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Toughen up, buttercup.

If your choice is flu or death, choose the flu. If it's cake or death, choose cake.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Zarathud wrote:If it's cake or death, choose cake.
But what if it’s German chocolate cake?
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Always choose cake. Some cakes are better than others. But it’s still cake.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The cake is a lie. You're going to get death whether you like it or not.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I heard on the news this morning that some group says that the main thing, by far, that helps the spread of the covid virus is social distancing.
Does that mean masks aren't really all the useful?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Masks are most beneficial when social distancing isn't possible, like when you're in a grocery store.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And anytime you're in a sealed area sharing air with people, there is an automatic cap on how much you can social distance. The more air, the more it is circulated, the higher the cap. A warehouse-sized store with 20 people is probably safer than a minimart with five, which is probably safer than a car with one.

Also note that every minute you spend in the shared air reduces your Social Distancing Cap by -1.

Masks give you a +30 bonus to Social Distancing, and give you a +5 on the Save vs Disease should you encounter it.

And remember, no matter how high your bonus, you can still roll a 1.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Is not breathing a +1?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:25 pm Is not breathing a +1?
It's a +50, but requires a roll every 10 seconds after the first 30. A failure results in lying on the floor, which is a -75.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:19 pm And anytime you're in a sealed area sharing air with people, there is an automatic cap on how much you can social distance. The more air, the more it is circulated, the higher the cap. A warehouse-sized store with 20 people is probably safer than a minimart with five, which is probably safer than a car with one.

Also note that every minute you spend in the shared air reduces your Social Distancing Cap by -1.

Masks give you a +30 bonus to Social Distancing, and give you a +5 on the Save vs Disease should you encounter it.

And remember, no matter how high your bonus, you can still roll a 1.
I see you dug up a copy of the Infectious Diseases table from Gary Gygax's Dangerous Journeys. He really did have a table for every possibility.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's the Walmarteer's Survival Guide. Appendix G.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

USA Today: How will you be told when it's your turn for a COVID-19 vaccine? It's complicated.
As COVID-19 vaccines roll out to limited groups of people across the United States, how people learn they are eligible to get their shots won't be as clear while supplies remain limited, according to public health and policy experts and state vaccination plans.

"I think it's going to be a little bit murky," said Katie Greene, a visiting policy associate at the Duke-Margolis Center for Health Policy.

"I wouldn't be surprised if thousands of individuals get left out because of the information gap," added Tinglong Dai, a Johns Hopkins Carey Business School professor who studies operations management and business analytics in health care.

Vaccine rollout has largely been left to the states, and with an "isolated and decentralized health system" in the U.S., as Dai put it, people may not know when they're eligible to get their vaccine. And they may have to be proactive in finding where they can get one and in proving that they meet the criteria to be next in line.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:52 pm USA Today: How will you be told when it's your turn for a COVID-19 vaccine? It's complicated.
As COVID-19 vaccines roll out to limited groups of people across the United States, how people learn they are eligible to get their shots won't be as clear while supplies remain limited, according to public health and policy experts and state vaccination plans.

"I think it's going to be a little bit murky," said Katie Greene, a visiting policy associate at the Duke-Margolis Center for Health Policy.

"I wouldn't be surprised if thousands of individuals get left out because of the information gap," added Tinglong Dai, a Johns Hopkins Carey Business School professor who studies operations management and business analytics in health care.

Vaccine rollout has largely been left to the states, and with an "isolated and decentralized health system" in the U.S., as Dai put it, people may not know when they're eligible to get their vaccine. And they may have to be proactive in finding where they can get one and in proving that they meet the criteria to be next in line.
I work in healthcare, so it is pretty easy for me to figure out when and how. But yeah, I can see if you are not attached to healthcare it would be difficult to know.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
malchior

Post by malchior »

I tried doing some reading on it today for NJ ... and found it appears they really don't have much beyond the high level game plan ready for public consumption.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I work in a manufacturing plant. They've always provided us with a flu vaccine. Given how hard it has been to find enough bodies to keep the place running (we were 1 person away from shutting down for all of December), I'm confident they will tell us when we're able to get it (if not provide it onsite like the flu vaccine).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

California is taking public input into account in deciding who will get the vaccine after the frontline healthcare workers, nursing home residents, and people over the age of 74. My health care plan is Kaiser Permanente so I assume they'll tell me when it's my turn.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

[Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I just heard that the plan is for my grandmother’s assisted living facility in North Carolina to get the vaccine the first week or two of January. They’ve been pretty fortunate and no residents in assisted living have gotten the virus. But that’s not the case in what she termed the nursing home, which is in a separate building: they’ve had over 20 residents and almost 30 staff get the virus. At least five residents have died. The vaccine can’t get there soon enough.
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

Some things are worth driving into work on your day off!
As an anesthesiologist working within the largest healthcare system in my state, I was pretty much at the front of the local line. They're planning to have every patient-facing employee in the system vaccinated within the next couple of weeks, as long as they're willing to accept the shot. I don't know of any of my coworkers planning to skip the opportunity. I, for one, am excited to be part of ending this pandemic!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:10 pm I just heard that the plan is for my grandmother’s assisted living facility in North Carolina to get the vaccine the first week or two of January. They’ve been pretty fortunate and no residents in assisted living have gotten the virus. But that’s not the case in what she termed the nursing home, which is in a separate building: they’ve had over 20 residents and almost 30 staff get the virus. At least five residents have died. The vaccine can’t get there soon enough.
I hope NC has a better plan than MA does. Anxiety, relief -- and confusion -- as vaccines head to MA's hard-hit senior-care centers.
No group has suffered more in the COVID-19 pandemic than residents at long-term-care facilities, accounting for more than 60 percent of coronavirus deaths in Massachusetts. And there are ominous signs infections are surging again: Nearly three-quarters of the state’s 269 long-term-care facilities have at least two COVID-19 cases.

But inoculating the tens of thousands of frail elders who live in such facilities and the small army of caregivers who look after them may be the single most challenging phase of the state’s ambitious vaccine program.

Not only are nursing homes full of people whose dementia makes it difficult for them to give informed consent, but many senior care workers express wariness about the vaccines, suggesting sizable numbers may not step forward to get their shots on Monday, when the program is slated to begin.

Adding to the uncertainty, several long-term-care administrators this week said they still hadn’t received definitive information about when their staff and residents will be vaccinated. The pharmacy chains CVS and Walgreens are administering the vaccines with plans to visit each such facility in Massachusetts three times in the coming weeks.
“In some nursing homes, I get a sense that it’s just 25 percent [of staff] who will take the vaccine, and some homes up to 60 or 65 percent. But that’s it, unfortunately” said Dr. Asif Merchant,medical director at four nursing homes in the Metro West area and partner of a company that runs medical services for 45 nursing homes in Massachusetts.

Merchant has been leading informational sessions for staff at nursing homes. Before and after each one, he said, he asks participants to raise their hand if they are ready to get a shot. Success, he said, is now measured by one or two more converts at a time.

The union that represents thousands of nursing home workers, 1199SEIUUnited Healthcare Workers East, said an informal survey of its members, which also includes home health and hospital workers, found half expressing hesitation about getting a shot.
Also, they need to get 115,000 consent forms signed by the residents or their guardians.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm not sure how my wife and I are going to get the shot. I'm part of the VA system and my wife's on Medicaid.
Or do we both use Medicare? Do we use the same hospital/clinic?
It's all very confusing right now.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It appears that Twitch is aware of the new lock-down here in Ontario. All of a sudden, the most common pre-roll ad I'm seeing when I bring up a new channel is for toilet paper. :lol:

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I am sorry but Ontario is not down here, it is up there.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

But it's a lock-down, not a lock-up -- no matter what the anti-mask COVID-deniers say. :coffee:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:41 pm I'm not sure how my wife and I are going to get the shot. I'm part of the VA system and my wife's on Medicaid.
Or do we both use Medicare? Do we use the same hospital/clinic?
It's all very confusing right now.
In my county here in Florida they have announced vaccine shots will be given to 65+ folks starting next Monday. Several other counties in Central Florida have already started giving out shots, and the state of Florida has ruled that you don't have to be a resident of a particular county to get a shot there, since these shots are part of a Federal program. All shots are by appointment only but they are handling close to a thousand appointments a day each at various locations. Orange County (part of Orlando) already has thirty thousand people with scheduled appointments so they aren't going to take any more appointments in the near future. All you need is some form of identification, all shots are free.

Meanwhile, my wife and I are opting to not get the vaccine yet as she is scheduled for back surgery at the end of the month and she doesn't want any possible side effects to screw that up. I don't blame her, it's been a real pain in the ass :roll: just to get on the surgery schedule :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So is it her back or her ass that gets surgery?

:P
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:29 am So is it her back or her ass that gets surgery?

:P
L4/L5 lumbar vertebra, so about inbetween :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold