COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Defiant

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by Defiant »

I would assume that for these specific vaccines we don't know yet, but what happens in other vaccines that require two doses and the second dose is delayed? Does it significantly lower their effectiveness?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Defiant wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:12 am I would assume that for these specific vaccines we don't know yet, but what happens in other vaccines that require two doses and the second dose is delayed? Does it significantly lower their effectiveness?
There was a piece about this in the NY Times a few weeks ago. The authors actually proposed delaying/ditching the second dose in favor of giving as many people a 1st dose as possible. The UK just announced today that this will be their path for now. The authors of this op ed argued that 90+% effectiveness across double the people may be better than 95% in 100%. The math sounds right but this is definitely a debate that belongs at the Fauci level to validate it.
These vaccines are a triumph. In large-scale trials with tens of thousands of participants, both demonstrated around 95 percent efficacy in preventing Covid-19 — a stunning number exceeding our best hopes.

Both vaccines are supposed to be administered in two doses, a prime and a booster, 21 days apart for Pfizer and 28 days for Moderna. However, in data provided to the F.D.A., there are clues for a tantalizing possibility: that even a single dose may provide significant levels of protection against the disease.

If that’s shown to be the case, this would be a game changer, allowing us to vaccinate up to twice the number of people and greatly alleviating the suffering not just in the United States, but also in countries where vaccine shortages may take years to resolve.

But to get there — to test this possibility — we must act fast and must quickly acquire more data.

For both vaccines, the sharp drop in disease in the vaccinated group started about 10 to 14 days after the first dose, before receiving the second. Moderna reported the initial dose to be 92.1 percent efficacious in preventing Covid-19 starting two weeks after the initial shot, when the immune system effects from the vaccine kick in, before the second injection on the 28th day.

That raises the question of whether we should already be administrating only a single dose. But while the data is suggestive, it is also limited; important questions remain, and approval would require high standards and more trials.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

malchior wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:19 am
Defiant wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:12 am I would assume that for these specific vaccines we don't know yet, but what happens in other vaccines that require two doses and the second dose is delayed? Does it significantly lower their effectiveness?
There was a piece about this in the NY Times a few weeks ago. The authors actually proposed delaying/ditching the second dose in favor of giving as many people a 1st dose as possible. The UK just announced today that this will be their path for now. The authors of this op ed argued that 90+% effectiveness across double the people may be better than 95% in 100%. The math sounds right but this is definitely a debate that belongs at the Fauci level to validate it.
These vaccines are a triumph. In large-scale trials with tens of thousands of participants, both demonstrated around 95 percent efficacy in preventing Covid-19 — a stunning number exceeding our best hopes.

Both vaccines are supposed to be administered in two doses, a prime and a booster, 21 days apart for Pfizer and 28 days for Moderna. However, in data provided to the F.D.A., there are clues for a tantalizing possibility: that even a single dose may provide significant levels of protection against the disease.

If that’s shown to be the case, this would be a game changer, allowing us to vaccinate up to twice the number of people and greatly alleviating the suffering not just in the United States, but also in countries where vaccine shortages may take years to resolve.

But to get there — to test this possibility — we must act fast and must quickly acquire more data.

For both vaccines, the sharp drop in disease in the vaccinated group started about 10 to 14 days after the first dose, before receiving the second. Moderna reported the initial dose to be 92.1 percent efficacious in preventing Covid-19 starting two weeks after the initial shot, when the immune system effects from the vaccine kick in, before the second injection on the 28th day.

That raises the question of whether we should already be administrating only a single dose. But while the data is suggestive, it is also limited; important questions remain, and approval would require high standards and more trials.

Well, that's just talking about one shot, which I guess would be the lower bound of the effectiveness of taking a delayed second shot (I would assume that a delayed second shot wouldn't reduce the effectiveness of the first shot) -and 92% sounds incredibly effective. But it sounds to me like that's relying on a lot less data (since it's only covering two weeks - from 14 days to the 28th day), so I don't know how reliable the estimate is.

Hopefully it works for the UK, though.
malchior

Post by malchior »

That all tracks. That is why the authors were pressing for expedited studies for 1 dose trials. The UK apparently faced the reality that vaccine production probably isn't going to get ramped up fast enough to deal with this winter surge and decided the risk was worth it despite the limited data.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think it also depends on the particular vaccine. The AstraZeneca vaccine has a lower effectiveness than the other two and I think (?) that effectiveness is significantly lower with just one dose compared to two. That seems to be less of the case with the mRNA vaccines, although I don't think we have long term data on the effectiveness of one dose vs. two.
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Well, it sounds like soon we'll have plenty of data.

*stares at all of the UK*
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I managed to get the jab today after all, they were able to start some this afternoon.

'Twas the Pfizer-BioNtech.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Production is part of it, but at least for Pfizer the distribution is problematic due to the extreme cold requirement. The virus is everywhere, the technology to support distribution everywhere is not, especially considering it's a global problem and if we really want it to be gone, that 80% has to be uniformly worldwide. Let it fester in backwaters, and it will come again as a new mutant strain.
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

So I'm not a microbiologist or anything - but if they are haphazardly vaccinating only a small percentage of the population, with some people getting only 1 dose, is there a risk that it would only push the virus to mutate faster? Kinda like when you don't finish your full regimen of antibiotics, you can end up with resistant bacteria.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

gilraen wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:58 pm So I'm not a microbiologist or anything - but if they are haphazardly vaccinating only a small percentage of the population, with some people getting only 1 dose, is there a risk that it would only push the virus to mutate faster? Kinda like when you don't finish your full regimen of antibiotics, you can end up with resistant bacteria.
The "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" theory applied to viruses?
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i've now heard both 'vaccinations will selectively push viruses to be more transmissible in a declining non-immune population' and 'letting virus infections run rampant allows more genetic drift to occur, thus possibly making them more transmissible'
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:29 pm i've now heard both 'vaccinations will selectively push viruses to be more transmissible in a declining non-immune population' and 'letting virus infections run rampant allows more genetic drift to occur, thus possibly making them more transmissible'
I've heard it said before that viruses tend to mutate towards being less lethal, as killing ones host is considered an evolutionary dead-end. Which makes this new strain rather interesting from that perspective.
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:44 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:29 pm i've now heard both 'vaccinations will selectively push viruses to be more transmissible in a declining non-immune population' and 'letting virus infections run rampant allows more genetic drift to occur, thus possibly making them more transmissible'
I've heard it said before that viruses tend to mutate towards being less lethal, as killing ones host is considered an evolutionary dead-end. Which makes this new strain rather interesting from that perspective.
I thought the new strain is just more infectious. Is it more lethal, too? (other than keeping the hospitals more full, thus eliminating the availability of healthcare)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Defiant wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:54 pm
Jeff V wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:44 pm
I thought the new strain is just more infectious. Is it more lethal, too? (other than keeping the hospitals more full, thus eliminating the availability of healthcare)
The two traits do usually diverge. The more infectious pathogens are less lethal. Usually. But if this variant is 70% more transmissible and, say, 25% less lethal, you're still going to have more deaths due to the sheer growth in cases.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

The Beijing Institute of Biological Products created an inactivated coronavirus vaccine that was put into clinical trials by the state-owned Chinese company Sinopharm. On Dec. 30, Sinopharm announced that the vaccine had an efficacy of 79.34 percent, leading the Chinese government to give it approval. The company has yet to publish the detailed results of their Phase 3 trial.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

COVID-19 vaccine administrators give doses to close contacts hours after qualified citizens were turned away

Hamilton County officials say miscalculations led to late-evening vaccinations in the Tennessee Riverpark on New Year’s Eve, long after people were turned away and told there were no more vaccines available.
Acting on a tip, Channel 3 returned to the Riverpark after dark to find cars leaving the property. The people in those vehicles told Channel 3 family members or friends who were helping to administer the vaccines called to tell them there were extra doses and they should come to receive a dose.

“We have connections,” exclaimed one driver when asked how he was able to get a vaccine. The driver told Channel 3 all seven people in the vehicle received a vaccination. It’s not clear if those individuals met the CDC or the Health Department's criteria to receive this round of available vaccines.
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow. That's some article. Thanks for sharing.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Spent part of New Year’s Eve last night with a doctor and his wife. He’s not an expert on viruses or immunology (he’s an orthopedic surgeon), but he’s a smart guy who’s opinion I generally value. We were talking about the vaccine and its rollout, and he made some comments that surprised me. He’s no anti-vaxxer nut, but he definitely was not eager to run out and get the vaccine because, according to him:

(1) there’s a history with new vaccines having actual issues (he explained that there were initially two vaccines for polio, and one of them actually gave a significant number of people polio before they pulled it;

(2) in his opinion, there have been insufficient studies of how these COVID vaccines behave when they’re administered to people who have already been exposed to the virus and have developed anti-bodies; and

(3) these COVID vaccines are based on cutting edge mRNA technology, not the traditional method of basing the vaccine off of a dead virus - that combined with the fact that they’ve been rushed through in record breaking time makes him leery of getting the vaccine in the first wave.

He said he’s going to get a serum anti-body test first to see if he’s already been exposed and developed anti-bodies. If he has, he’s going to skip getting the vaccine in the first round in order to get it to others who may be more vulnerable but also to let things play out a bit to make sure everything is good with the vaccine.

Not the take I was expecting.

Meanwhile, my sister’s family came to visit us over Christmas. My sister is an ER doc in FL who runs a department for a large hospital there. She got the vaccine the week before Christmas, reported that everyone offered the vaccine in her ER has taken it, and no one has had any adverse conditions (not even any slight COVID symptoms). They are taking the Moderna vaccine.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

To address concern number one, there was an incident where the polio vaccine that was supposed to contain killed virus actually had live weakened virus in some batches. The RNA vaccines will certainly not have any virus and the adenovirus based vaccines are just delivery vehicles, not the Covid-19 virus itself.

I'll take his vaccine while he waits it out.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kurth wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:06 pmNot the take I was expecting.
That's exactly the take I was expecting. My circles are filled with highly educated people that aren't taking the vaccines for those exact (or close enough) reasons. I'm not a doctor but I trust the virologists and vaccine researchers that have detailed the issues with the sentiments you've detailed here. I trust people that have been studying these things for decades and are saying they're at the front of the line trying to get a shot. I know that I don't know nearly enough about this as they do to make an informed decision and I won't let what I do know cloud my judgement. It's going to be an uphill battle getting people vaccinated and I'm still firmly in the camp that this national vaccination effort is going to be a long, drawn out battle of inches.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Kurth wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:06 pm (2) in his opinion, there have been insufficient studies of how these COVID vaccines behave when they’re administered to people who have already been exposed to the virus and have developed anti-bodies;
TBH, this does concern me a little. I tested positive back in April, and my wife also tested positive a few days after me (she got tested because of my result of course). I've never had an antibody test, though. The only symptoms I've had were sudden loss of smell & taste, which came back sometime in June. My wife had it a little worse, as she has asthma. I had to take her to an ER but she did not need to be admitted. Two of my three kids live with us, and they never had symptoms.

Despite any reservations I have about things, getting vaccinated as soon as my name comes up is #1 on my to-do list for 2021.

Here is what my county's FAQ says about this:
Union County Freeholders COVID Response Team (just to piss off Smoove!) wrote:If someone’s had Covid-19 before and already has antibodies, should they still get the vaccine?

The recommendations right now are likely going to be that you still get the vaccine. The reason is that while being naturally infected with the virus gives you some degree of immunity and protection, it’s not necessarily targeted. The vaccines are optimized specifically to neutralize the virus and its infection and how it causes disease, whereas with your own natural infection, you will produce antibodies, but they’re more scattershot. They’ll target some of the parts of the virus that cause infection, but they’ll target other parts that don’t necessarily interfere with its reproduction cycle. So it’s very likely that most people, even if they have gotten sick with this, it would be useful for them to still get vaccinated.
A while back my wife mentioned that she had read (not sure where) that there was some risk involved with "the vaccine" (not sure which specific vaccine they meant) if you'd already been infected, but I have not seen that from any reputable source.
Conform or be cast out!

Post by Default »

Thee-oh-rectly, Postal Shlubs are supposed to be vaccinated in wave 1b. Supposed to start in February, sometime. No idea if they will have mass injections at major installations or if we get a golden ticket to CVS.

I hope so, because staffing is getting impacted again.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Shoulder was quite sore for 2 days but all good now.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

As bad as we're doing in terms of vaccinating people, it looks like most of the world is doing worse than us. Per capita, we're the 4th most covid-vaccinated country (counting only single doses, of course) of the 20+ being tracked on this page:

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations
malchior

Post by malchior »

Defiant wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:05 am As bad as we're doing in terms of vaccinating people, it looks like most of the world is doing worse than us. Per capita, we're the 4th most covid-vaccinated country (counting only single doses, of course) of the 20+ being tracked on this page:

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations
That might just be a supply issue. For example, some insight into how Europe has a supply issue. Operation Warp Speed helped multiple vaccines get approved. Unfortunately, we are overruning our ability to deliver them. Something that should have been planned for.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Another data point, more than 70% of the vaccine distributed to NJ is sitting unused:
Of the 265,000 doses of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines that have been delivered to New Jersey, 72,657 residents had been given a shot by Thursday afternoon.

Despite months of planning, state officials said Wednesday a lack of personnel, along with logistics and timing issues were to blame.

"We are in the process of setting up hundreds of these [vaccination] locations. Some of them are going to be mega sites, and we have to schedule," Gov. Phil Murphy said at his briefing. "Remember, you need health care workers to do this. I'm not qualified to deliver these vaccines."
National data:
State Health Commissioner Judy Persichilli said the rollout of the Moderna vaccine in particular has been slow because it was delivered just before Christmas.

"There were no vaccinations on the 25th, and on the other days people didn't want to be sick, they were concerned they were not going to feel well for the holidays," she said. "So it's ticked up again. We look at it, obviously, daily. We need to do some work on Moderna."

Persichilli said 57% of the state's stockpile of Pfizer doses had been administered as of Wednesday, calling it "one of the highest percentages that I've seen nationally."

Distribution has been difficult in other states as well. About 21% of the vaccines distributed nationally had been administered by Wednesday, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

"There were no vaccinations on the 25th, and on the other days people didn't want to be sick, they were concerned they were not going to feel well for the holidays," she said. "So it's ticked up again. We look at it, obviously, daily. We need to do some work on Moderna."

Wow, it's not like there's a global health emergency and thousands of people per day are dying while hospital beds are filling up. But hope y'all enjoyed your holiday!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Britain Opens Door to Mix-and-Match Vaccinations, Worrying Experts

Amid a sputtering vaccine rollout and fears of a new and potentially more transmissible variant of the coronavirus, Britain has quietly updated its vaccination playbook to allow for a mix-and-match vaccine regimen. If a second dose of the vaccine a patient originally received isn’t available, or if the manufacturer of the first shot isn’t known, another vaccine may be substituted, health officials said.
Some scientists say Britain is gambling with its new guidance. “There are no data on this idea whatsoever,” said John Moore, a vaccine expert at Cornell University. Officials in Britain “seem to have abandoned science completely now and are just trying to guess their way out of a mess.”
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My faith in humanity continues to dip into new lows.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Prithee, hold mine draught...

MYT
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

https://theprint.in/health/everything-y ... te/578346/
Bharat Biotech’s Covid-19 vaccine Covaxin has been recommended for conditional approval by the Drug Controller General of India (DCGI) based on Phase 3 immunogenicity data for 24,000 volunteers after the first dose, and for 10,000 volunteers after the second dose, say top sources. The two shots are given 28 days apart. The data that has reportedly been submitted to the drug controller is, however, not in the public domain.
Covaxin just ended Phase II trials on December 22...
The vaccine became a source of controversy after a letter, signed by ICMR chief Balram Bhargava, came to light on 2 July. In the letter, he asked principal investigators to conclude all trial phases for a rollout by 15 August.

The ICMR later denied having set a deadline, saying, “Our internal communication is being misinterpreted. We only said that we envisage to have a vaccine by 15 August and it is not a deadline.”

On 28 December, ThePrint reported that Bharat Biotech advised principal investigators (PIs) to encourage volunteers by telling them that enrolling in the phase three trial could give them immunity against Covid-19.

“It may take many months for the subjects above the age of 50 years to be immunised for Covid-19 vaccine,” said the document given to the PIs, which added, “Hence, it will be advisable to participate in the Phase 3 Efficacy Trial for Covaxin and get vaccinated to protect yourself against Covid-19.”

On Saturday, the SEC recommended that the vaccine be given restricted emergency use access despite not having released any efficacy data — meaning, so far, any data proving the vaccine’s efficacy has not been published in the public domain, including any results of an interim analysis.

Bharat Biotech first applied for EUA on 7 December, and was asked by the government’s expert panel, appointed by the Drugs Controller General of India, to return with additional data from its ongoing phase 3 trial on several occasions.
also in India:
As Indian regulators consider emergency approval of a Covid-19 vaccine from the Serum Institute of India, consumer groups are urging authorities to release key documents – such as the clinical trial protocol and study data – amid concerns over transparency and adverse events.

An independent panel of experts set by the Drug Controller General of India meets on Friday to consider the vaccine, which is the Serum Institute’s version of a shot originally co-developed by AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford. Earlier this month, the panel delayed its decision while waiting for U.K. regulators to grant emergency use for the AstraZeneca version, which occurred this week.

Consumer advocates, however, maintain Indian regulators should disclose more details before proceeding, especially since the Indian Council of Medical Research – a government entity – is providing support for a so-called bridging trial that is being conducted in the Indian population. Consumer groups are concerned that it is not clear whether the Serum Institute has submitted all safety and immunogenicity data from analyses of the bridging study to regulators, according to a letter sent today to government officials.
https://www.statnews.com/pharmalot/2021 ... -protocol/
malchior

Post by malchior »

Somehow this is a stopping point for him.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

malchior wrote:Somehow this is a stopping point for him.

An absentee landlord approach to governing doesn't work during a crisis.

But hey, he's a "businessman". That's what Americans wanted...
Black lives matter!

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Vaccine Tracker
Vaccinations in the U.S. began Dec. 14 with health-care workers, and so far 4.28 million doses have been given, according to a state-by-state tally by Bloomberg and data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
("Updated: January 2, 2021, 4:59 PM EST")

A previous update
Vaccinations in the U.S. began Dec. 14 with health-care workers, and so far 3.17 million doses have been given,
("Updated: December 31, 2020, 5:29 PM EST")

So approximately 1.11 million in a ~48 hour period (although it could have been reporting lag from over the holidays).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Vaccination in New York City is basically only occurring during regular business hours. Very little on weekends. Almost none on holidays.

We are in a war-like situation. We need to be vaccinating TWENTY FOUR-SEVEN. We are losing precious time.
100% agree, but I have no idea how to make it happen as the people that would be vaccinating the public are currently under siege.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:01 pm
Vaccination in New York City is basically only occurring during regular business hours. Very little on weekends. Almost none on holidays.

We are in a war-like situation. We need to be vaccinating TWENTY FOUR-SEVEN. We are losing precious time.
100% agree, but I have no idea how to make it happen as the people that would be vaccinating the public are currently under siege.
How much training would be necessary to train someone to perform vaccinations?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Defiant wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:08 pmHow much training would be necessary to train someone to perform vaccinations?
I don't even think we need to go down that route. From the ideas that Mitt Romney floated (that I linked in the other thread) we already have pools of trained people -- retired practitioners, medical students, veterinarians, former military with medical experience all sitting idle. I've never provided a shot to someone, but I have actual experience running community vaccination clinics; I'm also sitting idle and I know I'm not alone.

Providing the shot is clearly a critical element, but it's not the only reason we're already behind. At the end of the day, this effort requires actual manpower and coordination of resources.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:16 pm
Defiant wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:08 pmHow much training would be necessary to train someone to perform vaccinations?
I don't even think we need to go down that route. From the ideas that Mitt Romney floated (that I linked in the other thread) we already have pools of trained people -- retired practitioners, medical students, veterinarians, former military with medical experience all sitting idle. I've never provided a shot to someone, but I have actual experience running community vaccination clinics; I'm also sitting idle and I know I'm not alone.

Providing the shot is clearly a critical element, but it's not the only reason we're already behind. At the end of the day, this effort requires actual manpower and coordination of resources.
We also have millions of unemployed people who need jobs. This is pretty fucking obvious. A make work program where ordinary people provide the logistical support we need to free up practitioners is a no-brainer. The market is willing to lend us money at negative interest rates to finance this. That we're mired down in absolute non-essential BULLSHIT while thousands of people are dying a day is ridiculous.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Is there any data to indicate that this is in any way a good idea?

U.S. may cut some Moderna vaccine doses in half to speed rollout, official says
The U.S. government is considering giving some people half the dose of Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine in order to speed vaccinations, a federal official said on Sunday.

Moncef Slaoui, head of Operation Warp Speed, the federal vaccine program, said on CBS’ “Face the Nation” that officials were in talks with Moderna and the Food and Drug Administration about the idea. Moderna’s vaccine requires two injections.

“We know that for the Moderna vaccine, giving half of the dose to people between the ages of 18 and 55, two doses, half the dose, which means exactly achieving the objective of immunizing double the number of people with the doses we have,” Slaoui said.

“We know it induces identical immune response” to the full dose, he added.

Moderna and the FDA could not immediately be reached for comment.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said it had administered 4,225,756 first doses of COVID-19 vaccines in the country as of Saturday morning and distributed 13,071,925 doses.

The U.S. has also approved a vaccine from Pfizer, which like Moderna’s requires two shots. Vaccinations have fallen far short of early targets, as officials had hoped to have 20 million people vaccinated by the end of the 2020.

Slaoui said he was optimistic vaccinations would continue to accelerate. He rejected the suggestion that officials should prioritize giving more people a single shot, rather than holding back doses for the second shot, saying that cutting Moderna vaccine doses in half was “a more responsible approach that would be based on facts and data.”

Slaoui said it would likely not be known until late spring whether vaccinated people can still spread the disease to others.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:31 am Is there any data to indicate that this is in any way a good idea?

It's certainly fitting. Everything else has been half-ass. Why not the doses?

MYT