What are you listening to right now?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sudy

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Sudy »

The first few VNV Nation albums were such masterpieces of darker, haunting futurepop/EBM.

Legion

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

oh wow i totally forgot about Release Magazine.

new Einsturzende Neubauten track is kinda Leonard Cohen-y

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

'Tis the season.

Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Conform or be cast out!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Amon Amarth - The Berserker at Stamford Bridge

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
JCC

Post by JCC »

I owned Versus the World and Fate of Norns back in the day but that was back when I had been buying CDs copiously for so long I was getting burned out on most anything new. So, I never listened to them very much. Over the past year I have gotten HEAVILY into Amon Amarth. I definitely prefer their 201X stuff the most with Jomsviking, Deceiver of the Gods, and Surtur Rising probably being my favorites. But Berserker is strong too! Amon just kicks ass and takes names!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I've tried to get into them a couple of times... some of their stuff (both new and old) seems kind of generic and repetitive to me, but then there are tracks that are just fantastic. I really like stuff like Victorious March from their first album, but also a lot of Twilight of the Thunder God. Really started getting into Berserker this past week though... half of it anyway. I like the rapid/rolling riffs they use sometimes that remind me of Slechtvalk's last two albums (which were possibly partially inspired by them).

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:16 pm Some of their stuff (both new and old) seems kind of generic and repetitive to me, but then there are tracks that are just fantastic.
That's AA in a nutshell. Mostly generic, but with a couple gems on each album. I've always considered them the AC/DC of death metal. Everything sounds the same, but it can sometimes be catchy. :)

My three favorite songs of theirs.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Y'all pass me that bottle, and I'll sing y'all a real song:

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Twilight of the Thunder God seems like a good album all around. In Varyags of Miklagaard I feel like they're going to start playing the Game of Thrones theme.

I've got this one stuck in my head this morning (and... also Voodoo Child, now):

King of Asgard - Einharjar

Huh, I didn't realize this band also descended from Mithotyn.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Nine Treasures ft. Liberation - Bodhicitta

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

AMG just posted this as one of their "2020 albums you may have missed". Was an instabuy based on this track alone. :shock:

Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Totally totally works...

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

A Hill to Die Upon - Satan Speaks

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The last hurrah of 90s R&B. Love this song and the whole album:

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

New Fleshgod Apocalypse track dropped yesterday. Yowzers.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

OMG...I’m dying. :lol:

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I love Rob Halford's voice... the concept of these albums might seem kind of silly, especially when you realize it's half traditional carols, and most of the arrangements are more rock or hard rock than they are metal. But... some of them are really good. Tracks like Get Into the Spirt are what you'd expect from a regular Judas Priest or Halford album. But the cover of Winter Song is also great. Donner and Blitzen starts out great as a Priest-sounding track, but then gets a little silly. Almost all of the classic carols hit the mark, especially the softer religious ones. I sent my moderately conservative folks Oh Come, Oh Come, Emmanuel, and even my dad said he liked it! This is the man who told me rock music comes from the pit of hell circa 1995 lol. He's softened his stance somewhat since then (and I really got him into Tom Waits's later work), but I'm pretty sure he had no idea this was being sung the frontman of Judas Priest.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Xmas dirges on YouTube since 5:30 this morning.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Chuck Prophet's "Bad Year for Rock and Roll" was released in 2016, but it seems a perfect epitaph for 2020.

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Xmas dirges. Even the kids are saying it makes them sad. Tis the season.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

You live in a weird world, Jeff. I think I'd like to visit but not stay.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Right now I'm vainly listening to my 2nd and 3rd most listened to artists this past year according to last.fm, as I attempt to dethrone Metallica from being my most listened to one this year. I swear, I have no idea how this happened... it must have been the week-long retrospective I went on after listening to S&M 2.

I'm only half joking. It's bizarre what social media does to you.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

probably one of my all-time favorite albums
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Time for this year's Skinypupy Top 10 Albums list. Was difficult to narrow it down and a couple of the bottom ones might change depending on my mood, but this is about it.

1. Igorrr - “Spirituality and Distortion” - This very, very narrowly edged out Endarkenment for the top spot. They're more like 1a and 1b, honestly. A brilliantly insane musical journey that throws everything but the kitchen sink at you. Not an easy listen, but a fun one. Best song: Parpaing (the deconstruction that starts at 1:38 is just wonderful)

2. Anaal Nathrakh - “Endarkenment” - Pure sonic fury at the state of, well, everything. Best song: Endarkenment

3. Aeternam - “Al Qassam” - I've really enjoyed the last two albums by these guys, and this one saw them perfecting their formula of middle eastern tinged death metal. Best song: Palmyra Scripture (not metal at all, but a beautiful song)

4. The Ocean - “Phanerozoic II: Mesozoic | Cenozoic”. This is a heavier version of Tool, basically. Catchy melodies, interesting lyrics, and a great combination of death growls and clean vocals. Best song: Jurassic | Cretaceous

5. Hellripper - “The Affair of the Poisons”. I never thought that rockabilly death thrash would work, but it does so brilliantly here. An absolute blast of an album. Best song: Vampire's Grave.

6. Of Feather and Bone - “Sulfuric Disintegration”. Some straight up, rip-your-face-off, nasty death metal. Best song: Entropic Self Immolation

7. Enslaved - “Utgard”. I was really torn on this one. Sometimes I love it, sometimes it sounds wanky and self-indulgent. Still, I keep coming back to it so it must be doing something right. Best song: Urjotun (I never thought a 70's synth-prog song from Enslaved would end up on my best of list, yet here we are.)

8. Aether Realm - “Redneck Vikings From Hell”. If you would have asked me the couple weeks after released, I would have said this is easily my disappointment of the year. Amazingly, it really grew on me. It's not anywhere near their last album, but it's just...fun. Silly, goofy, and cheesy, but also displays how wildly talented these dudes are. Best song: Redneck Vikings From Hell (seriously, if the absurdity of this song doesn't put a smile on your face, something's wrong with you)

9. Azarath - “Saint Desecration”. It's no surprise that a Behmoth side-project would resonate with me. :) A vicious, angry stab at organized religion that is both catchy and intense as hell. Best song: Let Them Burn

10. Cryptic Shift - “Visitations from Enceladus". This is one that is highly dependent on my mood, but is a pretty remarkable and unique album regardless. The 25-minute sci-fi opus is quite the head-trip, but it isn't one that you can just throw on in the background. It definitely requires some focus and attention from the listener. Best Song: Moonbelt Immolator

Honorable mentions:
- Unleash the Archers - "Abyss"
- Carnation - "Where Death Lies"
- Asietas - "False Peace"
- Black Curse - "Endless Wound"
- Contrarian - "Only Time Will Tell"

Top 3 Songs of the Year:
1. Anaal Nathrakh - “Endarkenment”. The undisputed anthem of 2020, with a brilliant video to match. "Fuck you if you think I am wrong/The answers I have are all the answers I need" is the lyric of the year as well.
2. Pallbearer - Forgotten Days. That riff is just so massive.
3. Igorr - "Parpaing".

Disappointment of the Year: Pallbearer - “Forgotten Days”. An album with two absolutely killer tracks...then a whole bunch of boring, meandering filler. Hugely disappointing from one of my favorite bands.

Non-metal album of the Year:
1. The Devil’s Trade - “Call of the Iron Peak”. Beautifully depressing.
2. Myrkur - "Folkesange". Brunn can do no wrong in my book. Her renditions of Nordic folk songs are stunning.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I love that song, Jack Nietzsche FTW. Here is a live version by the late, great Tom Petty:

Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I was thinking about doing some kind of 2020 list, but I'm not sure anything can compete with this track:

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This is the most random cover. Members of Anthrax, Korn, Mastodon, Men Without Hats, Run DMC, Filter, Refused and a few more I hadn’t heard of) do a pretty good cover of “We Care A Lot”.

Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

The KLF have made themselves digitally available and now everybody should watch this for a glimpse of early '90's madness that I so miss:

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So, Fleshgod Apocalypse just released a cover of Eiffel 65's "Blue (Da Ba Dee)". It's as utterly absurd as one would expect.

Love ya FGA, but just...no.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It's kinda catchy.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Luke Haines & Peter Buck - Beat Poetry for Survivalists
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive never seen her with long straight hair before. Time flys as she is 30 years old now.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Càirdeas Fala - Of Truth & Fire - Atmospheric black metal, out later this month on the 24th. This track has some folk elements, but some of the others I've listened to do not.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:09 pm Time for this year's Skinypupy Top 10 Albums list. Was difficult to narrow it down and a couple of the bottom ones might change depending on my mood, but this is about it.
I don't listen to a lot of new music, but I always enjoy reading others' lists. I scoured my Spotify and Last.fm logs, and this is what I came up with:

Favourite Albums 2020:

1. Aether Realm - Redneck Vikings from Hell - I fell in love with track The Magician a year or two ago, and this year I've gone back and tried to get into Tarot, and can't stop listening to The Fool. The new album Redneck on the other hand... at first I was put off by the poppy single Goodbye. But once I heard the full album I loved the more traditional melodeath tracks immediately. I've come back to this album repeatedly throughout the year, and Aether Realm was my most-listened-to artist for most of it.
2. Cirith Ungol - Forever Black - Just a really catchy heavy/doom metal album that sounds familiar and fresh at the same time. I wasn't very familiar with the band beforehand, but when I read this was their first release in 29 years it seemed all the more interesting. Only a couple tracks caught my ear at first listen, but as I've returned to the album I've come to dig almost all of them.
3. Bill Fisher - Mass Hypnosis and the Dark Triad - The first solo release from Bill Fisher of Church of the Cosmic Skull, it trades in a lot of the band's vocal harmonies and beautiful rock organ for a hard rock and fuzzy, almost stoner rock edge. It's a great neo-classic rock album that stopped in the 90s to borrow a couple crunchy riffs. And despite only being 29 minutes long, it doesn't feel short... probably because I just put it on repeat when I reach the end.

Honourable Mentions:

Ensiferum - Thalassic - It usually takes me a few listens to get into Ensiferum tracks, and I still haven't reached that point with the first half of the album. But I love the second half so much, it deserves a place on this list.
Alestorm - Curse of the Crystal Coconut - I still really enjoyed this release... there are a couple of tracks I love. But I think I much preferred when Alestorm were a semi-serious pirate-themed group rather than a meta joke/party band. But, that's obviously part of what's allowed them to thrive.
Hulkoff - Pansarfolk - I think I'm going to love this album, but I haven't spent enough time with it yet. I found Hulkoff's first album KVEN and following non-album singles to be some of the freshest folk metal I've encountered.

Favourite Tracks 2020:

Tribulation -Leviathans - The single only came out about a month ago, but it's just outstanding and I can't resist the urge to play it repeatedly.
Bill Fisher - Celador - This one is a close second. I could literally listen to it on repeat for an hour and not get tired of it. It alone probably pushes its album from Honourable Mentions into Favourite Albums.
Stadaconé - Cannonball Terror - This French Canadian folk metal band doesn't have a full length release yet, but this song has been stuck in my head since I first heard it. I think it was actually a YouTube ad? The English is rough, which doesn't matter, but it can be distracting. It doesn't bother me anymore though, since the track is catchy as beans.

Here's the stuff I found interesting from Last.fm's "Last Year" report:

Total "Scrobbles" (tracks listened to): 8,121 - That's a record for me, and I've been scrobbling since 2006. Obviously, the data is incomplete because some of this goes back to the era of MP3 players that didn't record this data, but it's still interesting. I've actually only passed 5,000 four other years. Covid helped tremendously, as I can't usually listen to music at my job... but working from home changed that. This total is low compared to some, but I prefer to only play music when I can be a semi-active listener. I don't generally have it on as background noise.
Artists Scrobbled: 582 (vs. 218 the previous year)
Albums Scrobbled: 1,187 (vs. 429)
Tracks Scrobbled: 3,658 (vs 1,089)
New Artists: 41% - I.e. that I hadn't scrobbled before, anyway. This number seems really high, but I continued seeking out a lot of metal bands I hadn't heard before.
Most Active Hour: 7:00am - This makes sense; my shift ends at 7:00 and I blast tunes as I'm finishing up and don't have to worry about answering the phone.

Top Artists:
Monster Magnet
Aether Realm
Amon Amarth
Metallica - I consider them a band of my youth and don't care as much for their output this century (or their image), but I didn't enjoy going on a bit of a retrospective this year following the release of S&M 2.
Arch Enemy - I haven't decided if I want to delve deeper into their catalog, but I accumulated a bunch of listens when I came across Black Earth (1996) a couple months ago and it knocked my socks off.

Top Tracks:
Abigail Williams - Smoke and Mirrors - So good when the organ kicks in at 01:50, and then again at 02:05.... In The Shadown of a Thousand Suns has crept into my list of favourite metal albums.
Bal-Sagoth - Draconis Albionensis - This group and this album, along with associated band Kull, were my favourite discovery in 2020. You'd think the partially narrated lyrics would be distracting, but it adds so much. This might be the most epic song I've ever heard. Every riff and guitar melody is wonderful.
Aether Realm - Hunger et al.
Entombed A.D. - Torment Remains
Manilla Road - The Riddle Master - This seems to be a less loved track off a classic album, but I love it just as much as Necropolis and the title track.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Danny Elfman's new direction is going pretty goddamn dark.

I kinda love it.

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Sorry if this has been posted already, but I only just stumbled upon Sea Shanty TikTok :D