Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Alefroth

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Alefroth »

Thanks. I'm kind of fatigued with piney IPAs, but I looked up the hops, and those are pretty unusual sounding. I saw that about the charity too. I'll probably give it a try.

I'm not sure why, but I just tried an IPA brewed with Grand Fir from Ft. George and it was really nice. It was pretty subtle.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Shiner Holiday Cheer by Spoetzl Brewery, Shiner, TX. Loved it two years ago when I first had it. Didn't love it last year. Love it again this year. Maybe I'm just fickle, or maybe it's the budget friendly $11/12. I still think it's weird to have a peach flavored beer in December, but I suppose they were still in season when the batch was brewed. At only 5.4% ABV, I might finish the 12 pack before dinner.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Imagine my surprise and confusion when the beer I poured tonight was bright pinkish-red, and the can said Sour Face Raspberry and Kiwi Berliner Weiss. I did NOT buy that on purpose. :lol: It's from Mighty Squirrel, so I must've meant to grab Cloud Candy.

I steeled myself to hate it, but it's actually pretty refreshing. The sourness and the fruit balance each other out. I won't buy it again (intentionally, anyway) but will finish the 4-pack. It's the first beer I've had in ages that wasn't an IPA, a porter, or a stout. Even though I barely recognize it as beer, I can imagine enjoying it on a hot summer night.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I was given something to try by a friend. A Blueberry Chocolate Coffee Vanilla Sour by Collective Arts. It was absolutely awful. Friends shouldn't let friends drink sours. It was vile. No idea why sours are so popular.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sour is an acquired taste...but so is bitter, which is why many people dislike beer in general. That said, I haven't acquired a taste for sour. It's tolerable at best.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sours are awesome. I don't know what you actually tried, but I wouldn't consider anything labeled "Blueberry Chocolate Coffee Vanilla" a sour. Instead, it's like someone is doing everything they can to hide the fact that you're drinking a sour by adding random flavors and likely making it taste like vomit in the process. I'm all for flavored drinks, but that looks to be about 3 flavors too many.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Definitely too many flavors, but it was also definitely sour as it made me pucker. It was as if someone was trying to add anything they could think of that are normally popular together in one form or another. And apparently it's a popular one. I don't get it.

https://collectiveartsbrewing.com/beers ... e-vanilla/
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

To me, a sour makes a fine palate cleanser, but I don't want to drink more than one or two. At 5.0% ABV the "Sour Face" that I tried is obviously meant to be sessionable. I did drink all four last night, but enjoyed each one less than the one before.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:45 pm Sour is an acquired taste...but so is bitter, which is why many people dislike beer in general. That said, I haven't acquired a taste for sour. It's tolerable at best.
I just can't do sours.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sours are fine in shot-glass volumes at beer samplings. They get tiresome before finishing a can or bottle.

I was disappointed the supermarket I was at today had no Celebration Ale remaining. I'll have to try another -- I was able to get it into March last year.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Scuzz wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:32 pm I bought a 6 pack of these yesterday and while it is probably the hoppiest beer I have had in a while I really liked it. A very different hop/taste profile. Not fruity and not terribly bitter.

With a name like that I am very surprised it's not a hazy.
Hodor.
mori

Post by mori »

I have finally come to the conclusion that I do not like IPAs anymore. I hate the hazy, fruity, sweet NE IPAs, and now I just don't care for West Coast or Midwest IPAs anymore. Drinking a Celebration right now and it is OK, but I would rather be drinking something else. My favorite styles of beers now is Vienna Lagers, Bocks, and weizens. Basically anything a brewery cannot get away with adding a bunch of adjuncts. Belgian and traditional sours are basically extinct on local shelves now being taken over by fruity lactose or hazy IPAs, fruited kettle sours, and pastry stouts. There are more labels then ever but the beer I want is ever decreasing.

2020 was obviously an odd year. I ended up visiting a bunch of new to me taprooms. A buddy had got sent home to work and he had to get out of the house on weekends so he called on me to help him out. We ended up going to 2-5 breweries every weekend while the state was open. Found out most of the beer in MN is mediocre as it is in every state. I think 2021 will take me afar again and even 2022 will take me back to Europe and maybe Asia. I need to get to Scotland, Belgium, Germany, and Poland before I die. Wouldn't mine going to the Czech Republic, Italy, Spain, and France. A little beer, wine, food, and site seeing. Japan, South Korea, and Australia are also on my list hopefully before the bad pandemic hits because I won't be after that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas Yuengling
Posttsville, Pennsylvania-based D.G. Yuengling & Son Inc. on Jan. 14 announced the first step in its westward expansion with distribution of its iconic beers into Texas later this year. The beer will be brewed at Molson Coors Fort Worth plant.

The expansion is part of a joint venture with the Molson Coors Beverage Company to increase Yuengling’s reach outside of its 22-state East Coast footprint, providing access to the brewery’s portfolio to millions of beer fans in the Lone Star state. The brewery anticipates rolling out beer to Texas retail locations in the fall of 2021.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm in Philly and I never drink Yuengling.

First, there are FAR, FAR better beers available locally. Second, they've strongly endorsed bad politicians.
Spoiler:
Can you guess who I mean?
Spoiler:
R&P incoming
Spoiler:
They've not only endorsed Trump, but they've feted ERIC Trump.
Spoiler:
I mean, WTF??
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
persself

Post by persself »

Smooth, luxurious. I will be back for more, my love!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Girl Gamer Extraordinaire-less/Redskins Fan
persself

Post by persself »

Okay the previous photo didn't uploadImage

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Girl Gamer Extraordinaire-less/Redskins Fan
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Coffee Eugene by Revolution Brewing, Chicago. Eugene is obviously no hero. Not even an anti-hero. No, Eugene appears to be a pariah among his peers. Billed as a coffee porter with "deep chocolate notes", I bought it mainly to use in chili. But the flavors are rather subtle, so I still needed to add both coffee and dark chocolate to the chili. The beer is not so challenging to drink, especially with a low, low ABV of just 6.8%
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I had some of this. It was GREAT. Sweat like I like it. Actually tasted like alcoholic prunes. Mm mmmmm. Also it will put you on your ass. And it makes the most amazing caramelized onions.
Enlarge Image

My next purchase will be some Four Loko if I can find some around here. Supposedly will put you on your ass and keep you there and not know how you got there.
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:15 pm Sours are fine in shot-glass volumes at beer samplings. They get tiresome before finishing a can or bottle.

I was disappointed the supermarket I was at today had no Celebration Ale remaining. I'll have to try another -- I was able to get it into March last year.
I could drink a Flanders red ale all day, but something like a Berliner Weisse, it's definitely one and done, even with the syrup.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:45 pm I could drink a Flanders red ale all day, but something like a Berliner Weisse, it's definitely one and done, even with the syrup.
I've had a bad relationship with sweet liquors over the years, so a shot of raspberry syrup (which in of itself I love) I just can't abide by in a beer. Berliner weiss is almost a quaint antique these days, same with the likes of Belgian cherry lambics.

We're now entering red ale season. Not my favorite beer season, while I've had some good ones, I've had a lot more "meh."
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:31 pm Coffee Eugene by Revolution Brewing, Chicago. Eugene is obviously no hero. Not even an anti-hero. No, Eugene appears to be a pariah among his peers. Billed as a coffee porter with "deep chocolate notes", I bought it mainly to use in chili. But the flavors are rather subtle, so I still needed to add both coffee and dark chocolate to the chili. The beer is not so challenging to drink, especially with a low, low ABV of just 6.8%
FYI, the "Eugene" in the name is a reference to Eugene Debs. Your idea of whether he is a hero or an anti-hero may depend on your political views.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Still probably better than the Sacco Y Vanzetti Pale Ale.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:32 am
Jeff V wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:31 pm Coffee Eugene by Revolution Brewing, Chicago. Eugene is obviously no hero. Not even an anti-hero. No, Eugene appears to be a pariah among his peers. Billed as a coffee porter with "deep chocolate notes", I bought it mainly to use in chili. But the flavors are rather subtle, so I still needed to add both coffee and dark chocolate to the chili. The beer is not so challenging to drink, especially with a low, low ABV of just 6.8%
FYI, the "Eugene" in the name is a reference to Eugene Debs. Your idea of whether he is a hero or an anti-hero may depend on your political views.
I was making fun of their tendency to name everything "Hero" (or "Anti-Hero" as the case might be).
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Yeah, I knew that. Just letting you know who they were referring to (if you didn't already know), and then playing along with the hero/anti-hero thing. (BTW, they usually reserve the hero/anti-hero thing for their IPAs.)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I thought they had one or more sours with a -hero appendage.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Possibly. That's why I used the word "usually".
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

USA Today
Starting Monday, Coca-Cola with Coffee and Coca-Cola with Coffee Zero Sugar are available nationwide in ready-to-drink coffee aisles in stores, the company said. The new drinks, which are infused with Brazilian coffee, were first announced in July.

All 12-ounce cans have 69 mg of caffeine while Coca-Cola says the same serving of a Coke has 34 mg and a Diet Coke has 46 mg of caffeine. The average cup of coffee has 95 mg of caffeine.
NBC News
The Coca-Cola Co. has paid for its last Tab.

The company has announced that it will stop selling cans of Tab at the end of the year, discontinuing the once-popular diet soda from the '70s and '80s that has developed a cult following from lovers of its blend of artificial sweeteners saccharine and NutraSweet, who call themselves "TaBaholics" and "TaBbies."

Coca-Cola said in a news release that it plans "retire select underperforming products" at the end of the year, which also include Diet Coke Feisty Cherry, Zico coconut water and Coke Life as well as regional offerings like Northern Neck Ginger Ale and Delaware Punch.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

On the wagon, off the wagon, on the wagon... ah alcohol you are so tempting! My crafty and boozy girlfriends sent me some homemade Limoncello and once again being tempted with to drink or not to drink. Of course I will have to take a few sips, the event might turn into "okay, one more" but don't think it will go any further than that. Either way, the taste testing party will have to wait till the weekend.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Coca cola with coffee sounds terrible. I wont bother to try it but it has a high nastiness bar to pass if it wants to out yuck vanilla coke. We got one at a walmart once and opened it in the car. After a taste each we about wretched it up and poured it out right there before driving off.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I'm drinking different things all the time (beer, bourbon, Scotch, cocktails), but I tried a new cocktail recently that has been surprisingly good..

Whiskey Amaretto Sour

2oz bourbon (Maker's Mark )
1oz amaretto
1oz lemon juice
1/2oz simple syrup

I've enjoyed straight whiskey sours for a long time, but the amaretto has been a really nice twist on a classic... light and refreshing for a whiskey-based cocktail. I'll sometimes put an egg white in my sours and it adds a little richness and creamy texture, but I haven't tried that with this variant because the amaretto makes it a little sweeter already.

In any case, if you're looking for a great twist on a classic cocktail, I highly recommend giving this one a try!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

disarm wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:05 pm In any case, if you're looking for a great twist on a classic cocktail, I highly recommend giving this one a try!
Sticking to craft beers that I can't afford is what keeps me from being an alcoholic. I have some hard stuff, but it's not been touched in several years (and mostly not by me).
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

Jeff V wrote:
disarm wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:05 pm In any case, if you're looking for a great twist on a classic cocktail, I highly recommend giving this one a try!
Sticking to craft beers that I can't afford is what keeps me from being an alcoholic. I have some hard stuff, but it's not been touched in several years (and mostly not by me).
I really enjoy beer, but cocktails and whiskey allow me a drink at night without so many calories. Consuming 300-400 in 16oz of a high-ABV beer has not been kind to my physique, so I'm trying reduce my beer intake.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm woefully naive about mixed drinks. When I was a kid I drank sweets like rum & coke, tequila sunrises, black russians, and -- gag -- scotch & 7Up. But I soon outgrew children's drinks, as one does, and settled on beer. Nowadays I'll occasionally have a scotch & water or bourbon on ice, or a Margarita with Mexican food, or a gin & tonic on a hot summer day. But I've never had a Manhattan, an Old Fashioned, a martini, a whiskey sour, a Tom Collins, a Long Island iced tea, or just about anything else you can think of.

Maybe I'll remedy that with my remaining years, if it ever becomes possible to drink in a bar again.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I spent a couple years in the early aughts veeery dedicated to Manhattans. I had different brands of bourbon to mix in different ratios with different brands of vermouth. Vermouth was in differing ratios of sweet and dry. I even brined my own cherries.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Brickworks Ciderhouse - The Burgundy Effect

I find most flavoured ciders to be a little much unless that's actually what I'm in the mood for, but this one, flavoured with black currents, is nicely balanced. It also didn't bother my stomach the way most drinks have recently... perhaps that's some kind of grain thing and not an alcohol thing, I'll have to experiment.

Enlarge Image

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

cute
Enlarge Image
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:17 pm cute
Enlarge Image
So what are your tasting notes on this beer?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Duclaw
STYLE:
American Craft Lager

COLOR:
Straw Yellow

HOP VARIETY:
Chinook & Hallertau

GRAINS:
Pilsner, CaraPils, Vienna & Flaked Rice
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Enlarge Image

It's an average NEIPA (albeit with no haze) and not Lamplighter's best effort -- that would be Rabbit Rabbit -- but I love the label, and it's "brewed in honor of the frontline healthcare workers of Massachusetts", so there's that.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Isn't the defining characteristic of the NEIPA (aka juicy IPA, aka hazy IPA) the haze? If there's no haze, isn't it just an IPA brewed in NE rather than an NEIPA?