Red Dead Redemption 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2

Post by Daehawk »

Been having fun. I own the PS4 game. Just not a fan of the controller. Prefer the xbox ones. But then again I want to move the PS4 to the tv to play. Cant hear it good over here. But I need to move my useless cable tv box, move the surround sound system that died a few years ago...and such before I move the PS4 over there.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I came upon settlers wit hcircled wagons being attacked by bad guys. Shame it wasn't indians would have been so cool. But I died twice staying inside the circle and trying to shoot the bad guys. Was like 8 of them and I only killed one. So the third try I ran out into the area where the bad guys were riding and circling and used my shotgun to pick them off as they rode at me and past me. Got them all that way pretty easy.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's a few years too late for Native American attacks to be likely.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That particular encounter, Dae, is one of the hardest to tackle, even with a posse, so don't feel too bad.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dagnabbit! I logged in and saw the prettiest horse near me. SO I lasso'd it....it bucked me. After 4 chases and 4 tries it bucked me and my horse was tuckered out. By the time I fed my horse and took off after it again I couldn't find it. All the horses had left. Not sure they kept running or they despawned. I got tossed 4 times though. I did as the instructions showed...using the left thumb joy to move left or right opposite of the lean...still got bucked off. Real shame too. Maybe Ill see another wild horse.

I feel kinda bad too because that place was littered with animals I ran over. At least 2 turkeys, 1 deer, a skunk or badger, and something else that squawked when I hit it.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

You can't own wild horses in RDO. You 'll temporarily tame them, but it won't last. They'll eventually wander away.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:41 am You can't own wild horses in RDO. You 'll temporarily tame them, but it won't last. They'll eventually wander away.
Says online I can take them to a stables and either sell them or make them mine permanently.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:53 pm . Real shame too. Maybe Ill see another wild horse.

I feel kinda bad too because that place was littered with animals I ran over. At least 2 turkeys, 1 deer, a skunk or badger, and something else that squawked when I hit it.
:lol:
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:43 am
Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:41 am You can't own wild horses in RDO. You 'll temporarily tame them, but it won't last. They'll eventually wander away.
Says online I can take them to a stables and either sell them or make them mine permanently.
Trust me, I tried. And that's because you can't put a saddle on them or bond with them. That's to prevent people from just getting a free horse in the wild when horses are expensive and sometimes require gold. I think what you read was about the single-player game, where you can tame any horse you see and claim it as your own.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fuck it I quit. Got player assassinated AGAIN. I shot him over and over and did nothing to him or the guy he was with. They just walked up to me. Both red to me. Used a shotgun and schofield...nothing. They roped me them beat me and finally killed me. Yet when I spawned they stayed red to me and did it all again. I just quit out. No use in playing if super high lvls or cheaters can ruin your fun.

Almost broke my pc punching it. Seriously. Im gonna delete it. between this and those fuckshit political idiots online I think Ill take a break.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's pretty much any open world online game. You'll meet a hundred people who ignore you, five who go out of their way to be nice, and one who will go out of their way to make you suffer.

I just change servers when that happens in a game.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

There's one thing that the PC version has over console versions, and it's the ability to have private lobbies.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:04 pm There's one thing that the PC version has over console versions, and it's the ability to have private lobbies.
And how, pray tell, is this achieved?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Hmm, I'd heard talk about it, but after searching about it, it appears there isn't. Not officially anyway. Sorry :(
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Damn, I'd looked and was hoping you knew something I didn't!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I'd heard lots of talk about it on one of the biggest community forums, so I guess I assumed it was a sure thing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

After I cooled down...took me all day until now...I logged back in and tamed a horse to test it all out.

1. Tamed horses wont fast travel with you. They stay where you just left from.

2. Contrary to that first mission no one will buy a tamed horse and you cant make it yours perma like. You can keep it and ride as long as you are logged in.

I stood too close to s stable owner trying to interact with him and he attacked me and I had to kill him. Showed him I did. Then I roped and dragged his fussy wife around for good measure.

Anyways I guess if you are a hunter you could tame an extra horse to carry more big hides for you.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I think Rockstar might have intented for people to horses at one time given the dialogue. You can only really do so via missions. Some of the dishonorable mission givers will have you steal horses.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Looks like RDR 2 now has a link to GTAV in the form of a deleted RDR2 secret that appears in GTAV's latest island update. Even the voiceover makes a reference to RDR2 in the form of its original location.

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I felt bad my entire last play through. I was down to my last $15 and that was making fast travel troublesome lol. So I decided Id log in and do the two treasure maps I had. I logged in and called my horse. I was near a small town. My horse arrived with another player on their horse following it. I was in my map looking for the closes place to get ammo or something and when i exited I saw them finish an emote. Im really jittery around players and being killed is annoying to me. So I didn't even see who they were I just hopped on my horse and went to the nearest sign to leave quickly. They rode with me the 500 feet of so and right as I went to click the sighpost to travel I saw a info box pop up in the top right. Thats when I traveled and I have no idea what it said.

Felt bad the entire time I went for those treasures wondering who that was and what they wanted. Looking back if they wanted to kill me they could have easy and long before I left out. Feel bad for simply ignoring them now. Maybe they wanted to ride together or do some missions or something. Dangit. Sorry fella. My bad.

I did find both treasures and earned about $300 and some items and a little gold.Still feel rotten for doing that.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The info might have been the random event invites. I don't bother with those. In general, I've found the community to be fairly good. I've only ever encountered a handful of situations where players were complete and utter dicks. Unfortunately, one of those times was last weekend when me and my posse had a long-distance trader delivery destroyed by a rival posse. The game seems to encourage griefing, but for the most part I haven't encountered that too much, but maybe I've just been lucky.

The things I hate about RDO, is that once you get to a certain level, you'll start to be randomly selected as a bounty target. One of my posse members got targeted and the game told me to defend him. So, I did. Ended up killing the aggressor. I followed exactly what Rockstar wanted me to do, yet I still got penalized for doing so. :/

I kind of felt bad a few weeks ago, when a low level player was sent to kill me. I was in my camp minding my own business and I knew he was coming. He didn't even stand a chance. Blew him away both times. But really, it shouldn't be made to happen when you're at your own camp. These are the kind of things I dislike about it.

Treasure maps are pretty good. You can find some good stuff. You can sometimes find up to $1000, which is a great amount for someone starting out.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not sure where I got that first map. Had it a long time. The other one was a RockStar gift in my camp lockbox. So decided to try it. Not finding anything to do other than the stranger missions which I dont care for. I liked the story missions. Otherwise I kill some animals that I hate doing and I tame a horse or something. Game seems fairly empty and the long travel rides bore me.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

You get treasure maps every 5 levels.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Brian

Post by Brian »

Whatever you do, don't litter in front of the St. Denis police.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ran over a guy like that last night. He turned right in front of me on a bridge and didn't use a blinker. Both of use flew off our horses. Didn't seem to hurt us .
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh yeah, NPCs have a nasty tendency to turn towards you. I've noticed it's a leftover from GTAV. They'd have cars doing the same almost like the drivers were suicidal.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yep. Also those that I pass or pass me I cant take much longer. They act mad and cuss ya or bitch at ya...all the time.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Btw Brian, that last mission with those helmets, we found to be one of the most frustrating missions, and we were playing with at least 4 people. Such a difficult mission due to the way they swarm you.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Brian

Post by Brian »

I should have saved the video of the entire assault. We failed the first time but breezed through it the second.

What made our second attempt really gnarly though was I was experiencing a bug where the game would not let me reload any of my rifles. It's a fairly well documented bug but it was super annoying having to do that mission with just a pistol (A Lemat) and a repeater shotgun that I could only carry 60 rounds total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My group failed that mission 2 times outside and then the boss killed us 2 more times before we won.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Brian wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:14 pm I should have saved the video of the entire assault. We failed the first time but breezed through it the second.

What made our second attempt really gnarly though was I was experiencing a bug where the game would not let me reload any of my rifles. It's a fairly well documented bug but it was super annoying having to do that mission with just a pistol (A Lemat) and a repeater shotgun that I could only carry 60 rounds total.
The game does tend to have some really weird bugs. A friend of mine that I posse up with has been unable to get ammo from the box at camp for quite a while now. He normally has to go to a gunsmith for it to work.

And over the holidays, we found that we were unable to clean our guns, except for being in very specific spots.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Brian

Post by Brian »

Playing Red Dead Online last night and we started the Naturalist career path where you can earn money and experience by sedating and then "sampling" various animals in the wild.

We attempted this last night and it went pretty much exactly as I predicted.

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

You guys were the only thing the Bears could beat yesterday! :lol:
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont think circle strafe works that way.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I've long felt the Naturalist role to be one of the weaker roles. It's lacking something, and I'm not a particular fan of the fact that when a Legendary animal spawns and you try to take it down, it also spawns a swarm of animals. Almost like you have to have a whole posse standby while you try to sedate the Legendary one, and I swear the spawned feel tougher to kill. So, while I do have the role, I've never put much effort into it, and another thing I'm not a big fan of is that it interferes with the Trader role, in the sense that anything you kill will anger Harriet.

Btw Brian, one thing that might help you in the future is something I recently discovered by accident. And this isn't something Rockstar ever tells you. If you press down on the left stick with the map open, you can place a marker rather than a waypoint, and you can have multiple markers.

There's actually one last thing that just recently came out, and it's the extended bounty license. It's worth it, but Rockstar hasn't explained it very well, if at all. There are two elements to it:

1) You have new legendary bounties appearing each week, and these are all voiced and scripted like the original ones. They're accessed differently by the rightmost poster which is now scrollable. It's scrollable because...
2) As part of the Extended Bounty Hunter License, you have access bounties (infamous bounties) unique to the towns that you get them in, and they're all a series of multi-step processes. Once you complete a step in the process, ie capturing one of the targets, and you return to the board in that town, you'll find an X in the poster denoting you got one of the targets, and can return to it later after a cooldown to start the next target.

Good information here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/RedDeadOnline/ ... ies_guide/
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Brian

Post by Brian »

Thanks for the tips. I knew about using markers, I just don't because I'm lazy and hate having to clean them up afterwards.

Now that we've been through one one of these, we should have a better idea of how to handle them in the future. (IE: Not running off by myself to investigate the newly discovered Legendary all on my lonesome.)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, bring backup :)

It's insane how many shots it took with the tranquilizer, not to mention that it didn't seem to take effect after the messager. Maybe it was lagged? I wonder if it would work if more than one of you were to have tranquilizers. I prefer to just kill them given how much effort they are. Even the smaller animals like legendary foxes and coyote put up a big fight.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My thought was that we'd pissed it off so much that maybe it prevented it from dropping (IE -the tranqs aren't instant.) It might be worth trying to tranq it from stealth, then let it wander off and go night-night.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Gonna need a bigger gun. That canon from the Knights of Nee fort attack might help.
Brian

Post by Brian »

The other issue is that I still tend to approach things like this from the single player perspective. Legendary animals in the SP game simply required a modicum of stealth combined with one or two exploding rounds from a Rolling Block or similar.

With the MP Legendary spawning a host of large, angry bears that charge straight at you, that's a considerable difference.