Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Holman »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:39 am
dbt1949 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:02 am How hard is reality going to hit Trump supporters after Biden takes the oath and becomes president?
I keep thinking this is a joke, but then I thought Trump running for the presidency was a joke and look what happened there.
They will just refuse to accept it and keep hounding Biden until he dies. It will make birtherism seem like a college prank.
And some of them will try to kidnap a governor or blow up a federal building.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks to Blues......

U.S. Considering Streaming Regulation
Lawmakers are cramming multiple controversial copyright provisions into a must-pass spending bill at the eleventh hour, stirring up pushback from tech companies and civil liberties activists who say they're skirting proper procedure in order to create a system that's vulnerable to abuse.
A story on Protocol reveals the U.S. is considering passing a law that will make streaming copyrighted material illegal. Word is this is a proviso being shoehorned into a "must pass" spending bill. This does not mention games, but according to Kotaku this will impact Twitch streamers, if not game streaming.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

As always, fuck Mike Lee.
GOP Sen. Mike Lee (Utah) on Thursday blocked legislation to establish a National Museum of the American Latino and American Women's History Museum as part of the Smithsonian Institution.

The Smithsonian Institution operates more than a dozen museums and galleries, but none are dedicated to the contributions and history of Latino Americans and women.

The legislation had bipartisan support, and Lee's objections were immediately criticized by senators on both sides of the aisle. Lee: "I understand what my colleagues are trying to do and I respect what they're trying to do. ... But the last thing we need is to further divide an already divided nation with an array of segregated, separate-but-equal museums for hyphenated identity groups," Lee said from the Senate floor.
My blood pressure rises simply by reading that bullshit quote. What a garbage human being.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Our AG joined the lawsuit with 16 other states to get the Supreme Court to overturn election results.
I have to wonder, how much of it is politics and how much is genuine stupidity?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo: The 10 most important things I’ve learned about trust over my 100 years, by George P. Shultz
Dec. 13 marks my turning 100 years young. I’ve learned much over that time, but looking back, I’m struck that there is one lesson I learned early and then relearned over and over: Trust is the coin of the realm. When trust was in the room, whatever room that was — the family room, the schoolroom, the locker room, the office room, the government room or the military room — good things happened. When trust was not in the room, good things did not happen. Everything else is details.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:17 pm WaPo: The 10 most important things I’ve learned about trust over my 100 years, by George P. Shultz
Dec. 13 marks my turning 100 years young. I’ve learned much over that time, but looking back, I’m struck that there is one lesson I learned early and then relearned over and over: Trust is the coin of the realm. When trust was in the room, whatever room that was — the family room, the schoolroom, the locker room, the office room, the government room or the military room — good things happened. When trust was not in the room, good things did not happen. Everything else is details.
Sounds like a bunch of feel-good nonsense but I'm learning it to be so damn true.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So during a time when we are generally isolated FB is losing active "subscribers" for the first time.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/247 ... worldwide/

I wonder how much of that is Parler, how much is competition from other social media, and how much is people who walked away from the propaganda barrage of disinformation spread. I know it was last for me.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:43 pm So during a time when we are generally isolated FB is losing active "subscribers" for the first time.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/247 ... worldwide/

I wonder how much of that is Parler, how much is competition from other social media, and how much is people who walked away from the propaganda barrage of disinformation spread. I know it was last for me.
How much is election bots winding down?

How much is Facebook pumping the statistical brakes in light of the antitrust shit going on?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:06 pm And while we are at it - some normal business. Fuck ICE. Dismantle it.

Fuck ICE. Dismantle it.

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Is it good,bad or inconsequential for an indigenous language to disappear?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:30 pm Is it good,bad or inconsequential for an indigenous language to disappear?
It's bad.

Aside from what they can tell us about language itself (as most small-population languages have never been well studied), an indigenous language is a vehicle for stories, culture, and even ways of seeing the world that might be preserved nowhere else. Loss of a language is a loss to our potential understanding of humanity.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Plus, the Germans couldn't break using Navajo for communications!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

When did starving change into food insecurity?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:45 am When did starving change into food insecurity?
Bush era politicking.
But what about hunger? How does it differ from food insecurity? Even if we have never experienced uncertainty about where our next meal is coming from, we all understand hunger — it’s how we feel when we need to eat. The USDA used to track the rate of hunger, which it defines as an individual-level condition that may be caused by food insecurity. It did not track food insecurity, which is “a household-level economic and social condition of limited or uncertain access to adequate food.” [3] In 2006, after an expert panel commissioned by the USDA recommended the change, the agency changed its language and stopped using the word hunger altogether. The panel said the agency’s surveys didn’t precisely assess individual hunger, and suggested that measuring the extent and impact of household-level food insecurity would be more accurate. However, many people who work on food and hunger issues saw the language change as a way to gloss over a serious ongoing problem with clinical, less-evocative language, narrowing the definition of who is in need and where solutions lie, after many years of expanding these categories to help more people and communities.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So kinder, gentler starvation.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Food insecurity = not knowing where your next meal is coming from. Starvation = not getting one. Food insecurity can be chronic and long-term, whereas starvation is acute.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Food insecurity = economic insecurity.

But it implies that it's a food problem and not an economy problem. Which makes record high stock markets and historic wealth gaps not a problem.

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Explosion in Nashville that damaged dozens of buildings is believed to be an intentional act
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/25/us/nashv ... index.html

Three people were transported to hospitals from the scene, but none were in critical condition, according to Nashville Fire spokesman Joseph Pleasant.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Defiant wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:34 pm
Explosion in Nashville that damaged dozens of buildings is believed to be an intentional act
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/25/us/nashv ... index.html

Three people were transported to hospitals from the scene, but none were in critical condition, according to Nashville Fire spokesman Joseph Pleasant.
There’s already been a big fight in the political violence thread about whether this can yet be considered political, though its looking more and more like someone trying to demonstrate something.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not sure what if so. The left seems pretty anti violent. Its the right you worry about. But TN and Nashville is pro right and led by an idiot. So not sure what the motivation would be. Though yes it did seem more targeted at police and that is a left thing. There was a call about an active shooter to draw them in when they spotted the untagged rv and called bomb squad. Probably remote det.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:35 pm Not sure what if so. The left seems pretty anti violent. Its the right you worry about. But TN and Nashville is pro right and led by an idiot. So not sure what the motivation would be. Though yes it did seem more targeted at police and that is a left thing. There was a call about an active shooter to draw them in when they spotted the untagged rv and called bomb squad. Probably remote det.
I think the recorded warning argues against this being a cop-killer attack. The shots fired brought police into the area, but then the warning told them to hunker down and get the bomb squad. If they were planning a detonation to kill a bunch of cops, they really botched it.

Someone elsewhere pointed out that there's often the pattern of a first blast to pull first-responders in and then subsequent bombs to target them. But that's not the case here.

The lack of any claim of responsibility (that we know of) is weird. If this were someone with a specific grudge against (say) AT&T, it would be "normal" for them to have made that plain by now.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, as I postulated in the other thread, it feels to me like a test run to see how well the bomb would perform, rather than an attack on a specific target or to cause casualties. It could be that the affect on the ATT building itself, rather than what it housed, could have been part of the test, if that is what it was.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

A quick glance at Q-informed Twitter assures me that this attack was claimed by the Clintons. Their Christmas message this morning referenced a "small-scale" celebration, and "scale" is a word only ever used to talk about explosions.

It's plain that Bill and Hillary are plotting a bigger attack soon.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yes, the Clintons seem much more likely than, say, the Big Igloo Boys. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I understand David Perdue did a huge AT&T sell off just prior to the blast.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:23 pm Yeah, as I postulated in the other thread, it feels to me like a test run to see how well the bomb would perform, rather than an attack on a specific target or to cause casualties. It could be that the affect on the ATT building itself, rather than what it housed, could have been part of the test, if that is what it was.

That was my thought as well. With no follow-up on the other side of town, it felt more like a test run.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

@Gwozdzilla
Replying to
@BadLegalTakes
Defeat the constitution with this one weird trick. Founding fathers hate him!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I think somebody is making crazies in this country. There weren't that many before Trump.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:38 pm I think somebody is making crazies in this country. There weren't that many before Trump.
Dude. Where've you been?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I live in Hogeye.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

The Hogeye of the Storm, as they say.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

:lol:

But doesn't that mean we'll just get back to 2020.... :ninja:
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I like to look at the positive side of the riot................a large percentage of those will catch covid.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Outdoors. I doubt it. Air circulation is the key. Now if they all went to the same hotels/motels and shared indoor space before/after...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Some TN GOP homes are being raided by the Feds today. Not sure why.

https://www.wrcbtv.com/story/43146333/u ... uthorities
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:46 pm Some TN GOP homes are being raided by the Feds today. Not sure why.

https://www.wrcbtv.com/story/43146333/u ... uthorities
There were a few state legislators among the congressional invaders. I've been assuming it's related to that, but haven't seen anything specific yet to that effect.
Black Lives Matter.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Enough

Post by Enough »

So Twitter finally has banned Ron Watkins, aka Q (edit, there's a great Reply All podcast about Ron everyone should listen to). And Mike Flynn and Sidney Powell. About freaking time.

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Good news. That asshole from Arkansas that was in Nancy Pelosi's office was arrested today.
One down 2-3000 to go.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949