the 'get around to trying that game, already' thread

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: the 'get around to trying that game, already' thread

Post by Daehawk »

I finished Bioshock a couple months ago and just finished Bioshock 2 the other day. This was I think my 4th play through of them both. I chose to stick with the original games and not play the remasters even though I do have them. From looking online they just made them worse. The games are still beautiful anyways. Id rate 1 above 2 a bit. Its a fuller better game. The 2nd one felt a little lighter for some reason.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I loved the first two Bioshocks. Played both on the PS3. Really well made games and can easily see that they stood the test of time.

I started WOW again (not classic). Played on day one through 10 years straight. I burned out hard. Never wanted to touch it for a long time. Fun logging into my main and learning the ropes again. I have over 10K gold and a red dragon to fly around. Don't know if I'll be playing long term. Just playing casually. I'll keep going as long as it's fun.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Got past Neptune's Bounty. On "survivor" mode with vita-chambers disabled, so I can get the achievements. Those big daddies are pretty tough, especially the Rosies. I usually go through at least half a load of first aid kits and hypos, all the armor-piercing ammo I've gathered up and then half the rest of my ammo. Still waiting for the electric tripwire crossbow thing, that ought to help stack the odds in my favor.

As I recall, the first time I played through this game, I had a slightly different perspective on the world and felt kind of bad that this cool idea for a society went wrong. Today, I'm pretty sure that there's no other way it could have gone.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:53 pm
Archinerd wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:16 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:09 pm Ok, I volunteer to be somebody's victim.
You should play Battle Academy or Alien Isolation.
It'll be Battle Academy. I know I'll play and probably like Alien, so I've been saving it until I have the opportunity really experience it (as opposed to getting in ten minutes here and there.)
Well, I put in 47 minutes into Battle Academy. I want to like it, but it's got the sim problem: It assumes you already know how to play it when you start playing it. The tutorial gives you nothing, and you can't see the controls while in-game, making it a real pain to figure out how to do anything. Every time I moved and tried to target something, I'd get a popup telling me that if I moved fast, I would take a huge penalty to my accuracy. But nowhere did it tell me how not to move fast. I had three Matilda tanks, and one gave me a selector to choose fast movement or 'hunt' (which I assume was not fast movement, as it was the only other option.) The other two Matildas did not have that option, and I have no idea why.

The first mission was to take a fortress. The tutorial had given me one tank to move forward and shoot at a couple of targets with. The first mission gave me three tanks, two APCs, and three units of infantry with no explanation on how to use any of them. They did tell me that armor couldn't see into buildings or target units in buildings, and that I had to use infantry to flush them out. That worked with the outlying victory points by suppressing them with the armor and the APCs, then moving the infantry up to assault them. But when I got to the fortress, nothing would suppress the enemy infantry inside. The armor did nothing. The APCs did nothing. And if I got my infantry close enough to assault them, they were dead the very turn they arrived. It seems like defenders get infinite shots at attackers, allowing one enemy infantry unit to take out one APC and two infantry units in a single turn. And still no explanation. The game gave me reinforcements (pity points because mine had all been wiped out) four times, but still gave me no hint as to what to do other than Pickett's Charging them right into the unsuppressed enemy positions.

Like I said, it's got the sim problem. It's the problem that you find in flight sims, naval sims, and wargames. They're designed for people that already know how to play them, and they do absolutely nothing to bring new players in. It explains nothing, and it gives you no information while in-game. The result was a frustrating hour of trying to figure out how the game intended for me to take out entrenched units. It's disappointing, as I wanted to like this game.

The people who gave me recommendations either gave themselves their own challenge or have their profiles set to private.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

In Battle Academy when you move at all it hurts your accuracy. There is no slow or fast movement that I know of. It's all the same speed, or at least that's how I play it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks. If that's so, they probably shouldn't nag you that 'Fast movement reduces your accuracy' every time you act. It gives the impression that there's an alternative.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I agree. ;)

BTW Battle Academy is about the western front and Battle Academy 2 is about the eastern front.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i am going to play my final block of time with Qvadriga this week - it's not looking like it's going to be a keeper. i'm not enjoying Company of Heroes at all, but i need to put another 40 minutes in.
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:17 am
The people who gave me recommendations either gave themselves their own challenge or have their profiles set to private.
for the former, you can still challenge them and they can add it to their (immediate) 'to-play' queue. i like to think of this challenge as something along the lines of, if you have it at all in your library, it's got to be there for _some_ reason - delving into that reason is one of the interesting aspects of this.

for the latter... maybe request they send you a list (all of their unplayed games if that's convenient, or maybe just a subset of that ones you can select from)... or maybe i'll just request:
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:43 pm
D'oh. That's not my cuppa, so I'll defer my slot to anyone else.
can you send Blackhawk a list?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Nah, it's not a big deal. ;)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:10 pm Qvadriga or Company of Heroes
Qvadriga actually took about an hour to really start to get familiar with how the system works. i can understand why some really liked this one. i don't think it's something i'll get into, but some of the good parts i suspected it had i have now experienced for myself.

i can't get into Company of Heroes at all. i don't think i can do another half hour - i'm super bored the entire time i'm playing it. i knew there was a reason i haven't gone back to RTS titles...

to return the challenge, i issue to you

Valkyria Chronicles
and
if you haven't played it in the past, Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
otherwise
Cortex Command (in all its funny wonkiness)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My queue has dried up and after playing a couple of older games, I think I am up for a challenge myself. I have somewhere on the order of 700 unplayed games on steam. if you suggest something with pixel graphics or a platformer it had better be truly exceptional as they both tend to annoy me. Please, show Mr. AAA Games Only the error of his ways.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And the universe still owes me one, so...
coopasonic wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:18 am My queue has dried up and after playing a couple of older games, I think I am up for a challenge myself. I have somewhere on the order of 700 unplayed games on steam. if you suggest something with pixel graphics or a platformer it had better be truly exceptional as they both tend to annoy me. Please, show Mr. AAA Games Only the error of his ways.
Looking at your list... what you've spent the most time with... some idea of your preferences... Lots of exploration, games that combine action with a degree of thought and planning...

Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY or Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:37 am And the universe still owes me one, so...
coopasonic wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:18 am My queue has dried up and after playing a couple of older games, I think I am up for a challenge myself. I have somewhere on the order of 700 unplayed games on steam. if you suggest something with pixel graphics or a platformer it had better be truly exceptional as they both tend to annoy me. Please, show Mr. AAA Games Only the error of his ways.
Looking at your list... what you've spent the most time with... some idea of your preferences... Lots of exploration, games that combine action with a degree of thought and planning...

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - 24 hrs on record (howlongtobeat.com says median 21 hours) - so unless the Director's Cut mixes things up significantly... on the other the original Deus Ex was one of my first true PC gaming loves so it may be worth a revisit anyway.
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY - Gamerscore: 185 / 1,000- So it looks like I never finished this. Huh. it's not really trying a new game as I have obviously tried it (and most every game that was a knockoff of it), but it's probably worth going back to finish it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was just going off of your Steam play times. ;) I also considered Metro 2033, but it is Metro Exodus that looks more like your cup of tea, and I don't want to have you wade through both of the earlier titles to get to it (the earlier games are great, too, but are fairly linear.)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

this isn't up to me, but i can't stay silent, as you have a few good ones that appear to be unplayed so please consider adding them to the pile for the near future:
platformer: Spelunky
pixel graphics: Baba is You
platformer AND pixel graphics: CaveStory+

also, do you have a VR setup? not a game, but you really have to at least try Google's Tilt Brush
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:03 pm
this isn't up to me, but i can't stay silent, as you have a few good ones that appear to be unplayed so please consider adding them to the pile for the near future:
platformer: Spelunky
pixel graphics: Baba is You
platformer AND pixel graphics: CaveStory+

also, do you have a VR setup? you really have to at least try Tilt Brush
Just keep in mind that from what I recall you and I have basically opposite tastes in gaming, but I will make the effort because you never know... and I don't have anything else to do this weekend.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:08 pm
Just keep in mind that from what I recall you and I have basically opposite tastes in gaming, but I will make the effort because you never know... and I don't have anything else to do this weekend.
if i can keep plinking away at Company of Heroes (which i'm still doing, even if it's just 15 minutes a night), anyone is capable of doing anything. i'd play Elite Honorary Medal Duty: Call the Black Recon Spec Sniper Team 4 online MP with all the bros in BroTown and all the twelve year olds in TwelveYearOldTown if someone told me i should ("a grim task" one might say, but it's all in the spirit of the try-anything nature of this thread)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:00 pm I would play, but I have way too many titles that I played on CD, or are remasters (that show zero hours played, but I played the non-remastered version), etc. People would be like "DUDE. You MUST go play Half Life 2....STAT!!!" :D
and you: this one is not unplayed, but i see you've only put 0.1 hour into Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes - this is a crazy fun puzzle game that really deserves to be played through. (i'm not one for 'completing' games, but i finished it on the Nintendo DS and the PC remake)

bonus titles:

also, have you played Hard Reset yet?

i'd also recommend putting about ten minutes into Intrusion 2, because the ... odd... physics and control scheme make it kinda fun.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:11 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:00 pm I would play, but I have way too many titles that I played on CD, or are remasters (that show zero hours played, but I played the non-remastered version), etc. People would be like "DUDE. You MUST go play Half Life 2....STAT!!!" :D
and you: this one is not unplayed, but i see you've only put 0.1 hour into Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes - this is a crazy fun puzzle game that really deserves to be played through. (i'm not one for 'completing' games, but i finished it on the Nintendo DS and the PC remake)

bonus titles:

also, have you played Hard Reset yet?

i'd also recommend putting about ten minutes into Intrusion 2, because the ... odd... physics and control scheme make it kinda fun.
M&M Clash of Heroes is one of those in Ye Olde Backlog that is on a short list of "OK, I really just need to give this game 30m and see what happens". Right up my alley. Have not tried Hard Reset yet. So yes, in that case I am acutely aware of it and that it needs playing. :D I'm guessing I have maybe 30-40 games like that in the mental Rolodex out of an embarrassing amount of total games.

Currently playing (in approximate order of time and interest):
Frostpunk
Stasis
Supraland
Command & Conquer Remastered
Pick most any Anno game...I went crazy with the recent Epic and Ubisoft sales and coupons and givewaways and ended up with almost all the Anno games, most of them remasters. Amazing that I went this long without playing a single one, considering the quality of these titles. And again, RIGHT in my wheelhouse, as it were.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:48 pm
M&M Clash of Heroes is one of those in Ye Olde Backlog that is on a short list of "OK, I really just need to give this game 30m and see what happens". Right up my alley.
just keep in mind the story is totally meh and the whole concept of the game is kinda weird and impossible and has basically nothing to do with the M&M franchise at all - it's just a skin for the gameplay mechanics, which are fantastic.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:25 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:48 pm
M&M Clash of Heroes is one of those in Ye Olde Backlog that is on a short list of "OK, I really just need to give this game 30m and see what happens". Right up my alley.
just keep in mind the story is totally meh and the whole concept of the game is kinda weird and impossible and has basically nothing to do with the M&M franchise at all - it's just a skin for the gameplay mechanics, which are fantastic.
Fully aware that it's more about the mechanics like HOMM than any kind of plot-driven game. All this chat about it might make me install it tonight!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:10 pm
coopasonic wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:08 pm
if i can keep plinking away at Company of Heroes (which i'm still doing, even if it's just 15 minutes a night), anyone is capable of doing anything. i'd play Elite Honorary Medal Duty: Call the Black Recon Spec Sniper Team 4 online MP with all the bros in BroTown and all the twelve year olds in TwelveYearOldTown if someone told me i should ("a grim task" one might say, but it's all in the spirit of the try-anything nature of this thread)
Baba is You is as big a winner as Spelunky is a loser for me. I am not saying Spelunky is bad, it just appears to lack the sort of built in goal that keeps me going on a game style that doesn't really pull me in on the gameplay alone. I enjoy metroidvania type platformers because of the progression of capabilities, story and clear end goal, all of which Spelunky apparently lacks. On the other hand, Baba is You is close to a perfect fit.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:37 am And the universe still owes me one, so...

Just finished Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY -- I'm glad you dug this one up. No idea why I never finished it the first time around. It's not as good as Arkham City (IMO), but still worth the time.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm glad! I've played each of them twice and loved them (and yet still haven't finished Arkham Origins.)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i need a new game suggestion - i keep going back to Noita and need something to get me out of this rut (ok, not a rut, since i actually enjoy this one)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If you like rhythm games, try Before the Echo. Or ACE COMBAT™ ASSAULT HORIZON Enhanced Edition
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:01 pm If you like rhythm games, try Before the Echo. Or ACE COMBAT™ ASSAULT HORIZON Enhanced Edition
i actually hate rhythm games lol but i'll try it. and the Namco airplane one (wait, i have SOULCALIBUR VI and i've never tried it?? and TEKKEN 7?!?)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:53 pm i need a new game suggestion - i keep going back to Noita and need something to get me out of this rut (ok, not a rut, since i actually enjoy this one)
If memory serves, I recall you mentioning that you'd acquired Return of the Obra Dinn. So if you're in the mood for a phenomenal logical deduction detective story, pull yer finger out and get playing!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

NickAragua wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:15 pm Out of all the Bioshocks I've played, the first one is probably the only one where I understand the storyline.

So far, I just shot up the crazed plastic surgeon guy, and found the shotgun, which has been my favorite tool since Doom. It's even got lightning bullets for dealing with robots. Lacks stopping power for big daddies, though.
The storyline in the third one was *so good*. I'm happy to ramble about it at length, but if you have the interest check this out:
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

gbasden wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:51 pm
NickAragua wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:15 pm Out of all the Bioshocks I've played, the first one is probably the only one where I understand the storyline.

So far, I just shot up the crazed plastic surgeon guy, and found the shotgun, which has been my favorite tool since Doom. It's even got lightning bullets for dealing with robots. Lacks stopping power for big daddies, though.
The storyline in the third one was *so good*. I'm happy to ramble about it at length, but if you have the interest check this out:
I think the thoughtful analysis ThreadbareInc provides in the video below coherently and aptly sums up precisely why Bioshock Infinite is overflowing with internal inconsistencies and seemingly hand-waves away causality, though it won't make much sense to anyone that hasn't completed the game themselves:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I finished and enjoyed Bioshock 1, did not finish but enjoyed Bioshock 2, & finished but was not as impressed with Infinite. It was an ok game, but I wasn't wowed by it as others were. But I certainly respect the difference of opinions. I definitely trend into 'grumpy old gamer' territory more and more as time moves on.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I know I'm in the minority, but I didn't much care for Bioshock. It didn't do much for me and I couldn't wait for it to end, and by the time the end came, I felt underwhelmed.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I finished all 3. In fact i just replayed them for the 3rd time the other week. But I dont get a feeling of excitement or anything from them. Not like the older System Shock games were. I enjoy playing them but Im not big happy and when they are over I forget about them again. Mostly a time waster for me.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
JCC

Post by JCC »

I liked all 3 Bioshocks. Bioshock had the great twist. Bioshock 2 was an OK story with fun gameplay. Bioshock 3 was very cool but I didn't love the multiverse stuff as much as others in the storyline.

My biggest issue with Bioshock is I was hoping for something a bit more like System Shock 2 - at the time. Today I probably want a System Shock 3 to be a bit more like Bioshock gameplay wise but have the awesome scary story that none of the Bioshocks really had.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:25 pm But I dont get a feeling of excitement or anything from them.

See, I think that's my issue. It just feels so much like it's 'been there, done that'. And I didn't think the story was all that great either.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I loved the first Bioshock. I recall getting 30 - 60 minutes into Bioshock 2 and feeling like I was playing a remake of Bioshock 1, at which point I lost interest.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Minerva's Den DLC for 2 was pretty good.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:23 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:53 pm i need a new game suggestion - i keep going back to Noita and need something to get me out of this rut (ok, not a rut, since i actually enjoy this one)
If memory serves, I recall you mentioning that you'd acquired Return of the Obra Dinn. So if you're in the mood for a phenomenal logical deduction detective story, pull yer finger out and get playing!

alright, this is pretty good. voice acting is decent, the 'reveal' scenes are interesting (tho invariably gory) and the incidental music is done well. tho i have doubts of my investigative abilities (whodunnits were never my strong point), i've identified the first three casualties (of SIXTY) and their modes of demise, so let's hope my skills hold up.

while i am a big fan of the mid-19c seafaring novel, i find it funny on this particular voyage, *everything* that could have gone wrong while out at sea apparently did + the kitchen sink.