Assassin's Creed Vahalla

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Assassin's Creed Vahalla

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:45 pm As far as side quests, unlike Odyssey you're again having to hunt them down through the "Mysteries" objectives on the map. In essence they become just another collectible to track down, and thus often feel like a chore than an enjoyable diversion. Given that many of them are super short and often really goofy, they really pale in comparison to Odyssey's.
This is where I thought Origins succeeded where every previous AC game fell down for me. Maybe it's just the way I played it, but I thought Origins did a really good job of keeping a consistent thread to the story without making me feel like I was entirely going down the collectable hell rabbit hole. Odyssey felt like a pretty big backslide, in that respect.

Back to probably waiting on Valhalla. :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I don't know I thought Origin was pretty heavy on it too. I've never understood the appeal of collecting random crap in a game. And I really don't understand the appeal of collecting random crap that it's already marked on the map. This may be why I have never finished an Ubisoft game ever. And yet I keep on buying them. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Ibby

Post by Ibby »

I'm probably halfway through the story, and I'm finding that the stealth aspects mostly just get in the way. It's slow and tedious. Yeah, maybe it was fun at first to blend-in here and there as I made my way to some objective, but as you get leveled up, it's easier to just plow through the guards on your way to all the shiny things.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

We got a new puppy last month. Her name has now been changed to Dwolfg. That is all.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, last night while playing, the game earned my money with one scene that made me laugh out loud.
Spoiler:
While doing a world event, I came across a band being heckled by a clergyman. They asked me to shut him up so they could play and make some money. I approached the guy, told him to leave them alone and it promptly turned into a fight. As I put the guy down, I heard the band strike up behind me and the chorus "Smack my Bishop, Smack my Bishop" then someone yelled "FIRESTARTER!" :lol:
Covfefe!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:09 pm Okay, last night while playing, the game earned my money with one scene that made me laugh out loud.
Spoiler:
While doing a world event, I came across a band being heckled by a clergyman. They asked me to shut him up so they could play and make some money. I approached the guy, told him to leave them alone and it promptly turned into a fight. As I put the guy down, I heard the band strike up behind me and the chorus "Smack my Bishop, Smack my Bishop" then someone yelled "FIRESTARTER!" :lol:
That's too funny! I haven't come across that yet, but now I'm going to have to find it.

I'm still pushing through AC Valhalla and enjoying it. Unlike Norway in the prologue, England is a much more interesting to look at, and the graphics don't disappoint. I'm liking most of the story arcs, and I like the way the game is structured into sub-stories regarding each alliance you are trying to establish. I will say I was really disappointed with
Spoiler:
the King Killer story arc in Shropshire. I've always found Ivar to be annoying, and I can't understand why his actions in this arc are tolerated early on. Even worse, when Ceolbert ends up dead, it's so obvious right from the start that Ivar is the one who killed him. I hated having to do the assault on the Briton castle with Ivar under the patently false pretense that the Britons broke the peace by murdering Ceolbert. I also couldn't stomach Eivar's complicity in what Ivar did to the dying Briton king in his last hours. Brutal and over the top. Only to end in Ivar demanding that Eivar fight him to the death for no apparent reason. Stupid. Not compelling. Bad writing.

And why have to characters with phonetically identical names????
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My only issues with AC Valhalla are

1) I want tattoos, shipyard purchases and settlement cosmetic purchases to actually do something. As far as I can tell they ARE only cosmetic upgrades. I don't care one wit about a blood eagle tattoo for my back, but I would if it gave me better melee attack or something. Same for the ships. I can understand artwork for the sails, that's fine. But I'd like to purchase upgrades for my ship beyond that.

2) They extended out the skills to a ridiculous agree, essentially removing level caps. That's fine, but doing it the way they did is too much, imho. Tone it down a bit, please.

3) Remove all snakes from AC games. Of course, this is simply because I'm so friggin' terrified of the damn things in real life that I literally inch my way along walls in dungeons in the AC games for fear of hearing that tell tale hiss once I get too close to one. I'm such a wuss about that it's not even funny. :oops:

I am starting to find some decent side quests (the aforementioned musical one being an example) so I'm not as disappointed in that now as I was initially. It just required me wrapping my mind around the way Valhalla approaches them as opposed to how Odyssey did.
Covfefe!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:39 pm 1) I want tattoos, shipyard purchases and settlement cosmetic purchases to actually do something. As far as I can tell they ARE only cosmetic upgrades. I don't care one wit about a blood eagle tattoo for my back, but I would if it gave me better melee attack or something. Same for the ships. I can understand artwork for the sails, that's fine. But I'd like to purchase upgrades for my ship beyond that.
Agreed. I'm not artistic nor an appreciator of art. If I'm going to put a fancy figurehead on my boat I want it to shoot fire :D.

Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I want Vikings, not Viking Barbie's Adventure Island!

<copyright pending>
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:1) I want tattoos, shipyard purchases and settlement cosmetic purchases to actually do something. As far as I can tell they ARE only cosmetic upgrades. I don't care one wit about a blood eagle tattoo for my back, but I would if it gave me better melee attack or something. Same for the ships. I can understand artwork for the sails, that's fine. But I'd like to purchase upgrades for my ship beyond that.
Yeah I think they completely botched the entire gear/economic system.

I guess in their mind they thought I'd constantly be upgrading weapons and armor to try new things. But why do that once you find one equipment that works? So I get some Legendaries (thanks Amazon Prime, for just giving me gear better than anything else in the game for free!), and I never upgrade anything again. Which makes hunting down Nickel Ingots less than thrilling. I'm literally using the same gear at Level 350 that I was using at Level 20.

Now, I might be inclined to change out gear if I had a way to do stat comparisons. For instance, this Legendary Hammer I have is pretty good, but it's going to have better stats than any unupgraded weapon in the game. If I could see that upgrading that common weapon would eventually create something better than my Legendary Hammer, I may be inclined to upgrade it. (Yes, I know you can see stats of an upgrade at the Blacksmith, but it's only one level). Now, I could take all that surplus nickel and upgrade stuff willy nilly in the hopes of finding something that may eventually be better than my Hammer, but at this point I'm wondering why I have to do all this work when I'm laying waste to guards as is.

And I can't break down or sell unused gear? Gee, thanks, I love lugging around 50 things I'm not going to use and have to scroll through every time I look at my Inventory.

The whole system seems half-baked and not well thought out. I really hate it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Also, we’re almost 2 decades ahead of Gothic, and folks don’t seem to mind if I walk into their homes and steal their stuff while they’re watching me?
Covfefe!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Still plodding along with this. I’m no completionist, but I just went over 100 hours sunk in AC Valhalla. This game is too damn long! I’m going to finish (I think I’m upwards of 90% done), but this has grown to be a bit of a chore.

The decision to nuke side missions in favor of story arcs isn’t paying off for me. Instead of giving the player options, the game now locks the main story behind each of these arcs. Some of them are genuinely good, but others are not so much. I would have loved the option to just dive into the main story and keep sone of these arcs as optional side missions.

Additional gripes:

- lip syncing bugs are noticeable and really distracting
- the writing is up and down
- some story arcs leave you with few options that are satisfying (e.g., the Ivar story, Halfdan and Faravid, etc)
- after a while, the story arcs become repetitive; rinse and repeat
- building out the settlement seemed pretty shallow

In the end, I’ve enjoyed it well enough to dump 100 hours into it, but I wouldn’t put Valhalla up with the best of the AC games.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:59 pm Also, we’re almost 2 decades ahead of Gothic, and folks don’t seem to mind if I walk into their homes and steal their stuff while they’re watching me?
Yeah, I really hate how too many of these open world RPGs don’t really seem to care about verisimilitude. Shops should close, and people should have schedules. The cities just feel like a corral for rando NPCs wandering aimlessly. I also agree that the mission structure just drags the game out. I’m about to hit 100 hours and as much as I’ve enjoyed it, I am reaaaaly ready for it to end.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I was going to judge you guys for spending 100+ hours on non-completionist playthroughs, then I looked back to see how long I spent... just over 90 hours and I generally play through games fairly quickly and efficiently, so yeah, it drags on.

I do hope the next game goes back in the stealth/assassination direction as I am tired of big battles and trials by combat in my AC games.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 am I do hope the next game goes back in the stealth/assassination direction as I am tired of big battles and trials by combat in my AC games.
Absolutely! I really want to go back to meaningful stealth,
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Considering how well the past few games have done commercially and critically, I doubt that Ubisoft would want to go back to the older style.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They still had more meaningful stealth in Origin and Odyssey. The forts and what not seemed designed with stealth in mind...or at least a viable option. This one, not so much (imho).
Covfefe!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I'm on the Snotinghamshire (still laugh at that name) story arc now, so almost finished.

Another bug that is really grating on me: Every time I use the light bow, Eivor ends up with a bunch of arrows stuck to his hand, even when he doesn't have the bow drawn. It's incredibly distracting to see these floating arrows all the time (even worse when they're on fire).

Between this and the lip synch issues, quality control was a little lacking in AC Valhalla, I think.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Ok, now I'm pissed. :evil:
Spoiler:
I finally completed all the story arcs for all the territories throughout England last night. I reported back to Randvi at Raventhorpe and was expectantly waiting to see a final cut scene and some credits rolling. Instead, I get this:

WTF?????? I just sunk 110+hours into this stupid game, and the payoff at the end is a fucking popup inviting me to spend MORE time playing the game?

I'm honestly just shaking my head at this point. I've got two more zealots to kill and then the final leader of the Order, who is obviously Alfred, but, at this point, I don't think I'm even going to bother.
What a shitty way to end a game. I'm out.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

They might as well have called this game Assassin's Creed: Return of the King for all of the endings it has thrown at me. There have been at least 2, if not 3 times that I thought that this was it, the game is done, and yet it goes on some more. I must complete it, but I am ready to move on!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kurth wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:31 pm What a shitty way to end a game. I'm out.
I did all the things in the spoiler and still never got an ending. No credits, just nothing else to do.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:26 pm
I did all the things in the spoiler and still never got an ending. No credits, just nothing else to do.
Well that seals it. I'm done. I don't think I've ever played a game that didn't have an ending of some sort. Can't believe they'd make zero effort to give the player some kind of payoff at the end. What a joke!
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Kurth wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:27 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:26 pm
Well that seals it. I'm done. I don't think I've ever played a game that didn't have an ending of some sort. Can't believe they'd make zero effort to give the player some kind of payoff at the end. What a joke!
If I remember right, the original Rampage video game just said "Game Over" when you beat the final city.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Maybe if you went to Valhalla instead...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For someone who loved other AssCreed games at what price point does this one become not a waste?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Daehawk wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:17 pm For someone who loved other AssCreed games at what price point does this one become not a waste?
It’s not a waste - even at full price - it’s just a deeply flawed game in my opinion. Still, I got a solid 100+ hours out of it and probably logged enough time to make it one of my top ten games all time in terms of total hours played. There’s a lot of fun content. It just pales in comparison to some of the better AC games.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those still playing ACV or are interested, the Siege of Paris expansion drops next week on August 12th.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Grif I just noticed after 7 pages that the title has a typo in it..its missing an L.

Fanatical has a deal..GOLD edition is $38.99. Its usually $100.

Heres a link to the deal page on OO

https://octopusoverlords.com/forum/view ... 7#p2867007
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From PC Gamer, Assassin's Creed Valhalla will require a full re-download with next week's title update
Ahead of title update 1.4.1, Ubisoft has warned that Assassin's Creed Valhalla will need a complete reinstall once the patch goes live next week. That means you should prepare for a roughly 77GB download on PC, though apparently the total will be slightly less than the current game's pre-update size, excluding DLC, due to some optimization.

And those optimizations aren't insignificant. In addition to preparing for future DLC and expansions, update 1.4.1 will also "deliver faster loading screens, improved world data streaming, and overall runtime performance," a Ubisoft community manager said.

The "data restructuring," as Ubisoft puts it, means that an update that would otherwise have added around 34 GB to the total file size has actually cut it by roughly a gigabyte, which is nice—though if you're still logging into Valhalla every day you've probably got a wait ahead of you.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Daehawk wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:55 pm Grif I just noticed after 7 pages that the title has a typo in it..its missing an L.
You can edit the title if you’re the thread creator.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This looks beautiful.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Free play this weekend

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is this worth $21? The GOLD edition has the season pass included for $31....but Im po anyways and $21 is a stretch. But it seems a great price.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Minimum requirement is windows 10. Doesn’t support 7.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:30 pm Minimum requirement is windows 10. Doesn’t support 7.
He's on 10.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whaaaat? When did THAT happen? I distinctly remember Daehawk railing against it.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I now have about 10 hours in the game. I was a bit surprised that the opening credits didn't roll until after I'd spent about 5 hours in the game.
Spoiler:
When you make the transition to England
Was not expecting that, though I guess they kinda did something similar with #3, as I recall.

Overall, It's been a mix. Doesn't at all feel like an AC game. Instead, it feels like an open world action RPG that has AC elements interspersed. My favorite parts (so far) have been the village raids (which remind me a bit of Mount and Blade) and the random mysterious events the game has peppered all over the landscape.

The actual game story? The progression of the main plot? Not nearly as interesting to me. I've seen it suggested it's a ~60 hour game to get through the main story and I'm not sure if I have it in me. But I guess I'll keep playing as long as I'm enjoying the other stuff.

It's been a weird experience so far - to enjoy the not AC but AC game that has been VaLhalla (for me).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Honestly the only part of the story that really interested me was how it ended and yeah, it will likely take you a long ass time to get there.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I did the whole campaign in Origins because even though it was the well-trodden ground of revenge motivation, the scenery, the missions and the gameplay was very immersive. Odyssey wasn't as appealing, one because of the number of open combat missions and also because the world just wasn't as interesting as in Origins. I just didn't feel really involved with the character.

Valhalla, in my humble opinion, was back at the AC Unity level of obscure and uninteresting plot points. The world was rather uninteresting and there was a real dearth of decent stealth gameplay. Also, as much as they tried to dress it up, my character was a horrible person who killed a lot of people for the sake of killing people.

I really miss the whole assassins versus Templar story lines. Maybe AC Rift will bring back some of the old AC magic. Mind you, I still think that setting the next AC game in 1910s New York City would be awesome, but that's just me I guess.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s okay. I stopped after about 70 hours because something else caught my eye. I will go back and finish it someday though.

I hated Origins at first, then once I got used to the new engine, I fell for it hard. I actually liked Odyssey even more, but I’ve always been a sucker for Ancient Greece.
Covfefe!