An interesting perspective on yesterday's rioters in the Capitol…

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Courtesy of freelance journalist and OSINT analyst at ISD Global, @elisethoma5:

@elisethoma5 wrote:For me, the striking thing about so many of these images of rioters in the Capitol is that what they're doing - all of them - is creating content for social media.

At least in their minds, the true seat of power is not actually in that building. It's online.

@Bencjacobs wrote:This may be the lasting image of today
Enlarge Image

Politics is always performative, but the nature of the performance has changed dramatically in just a few years. What we saw today was the sudden, violent disruption of one performance, the certification of electoral college votes, for another, wilder show.

They could have done anything in that building today. What they did, by and large, was take selfies and create social media content. That was what really mattered to them. Whatever higher motives they might claim, their actions suggest that was the real motive for many of them.

It's no coincidence that the star and driving animus of this show is a man who has built his whole life and business around delivering compelling performances on broadcast and digital media.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Jaymann

Re: An interesting perspective on yesterday's rioters in the Capitol…

Post by Jaymann »

What, do they allow iPhones in federal prison now?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't think that's a show of a seat of power but rather a show of vanity.

Look at me! I'm Mr Meseeks! To a Meseeks existence is pain, Jerry.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:58 pm What, do they allow iPhones in federal prison now?
If it will fit, sure.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:01 pm
Jaymann wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:58 pm What, do they allow iPhones in federal prison now?
If it will fit, sure.
It it fitz, I sitz?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wonder if Jared Kushner's expression changed at any point during yesterday's riots?
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It is an interesting observation and the images they generated are going to fuel anti-America propaganda around the globe for generations.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:08 pm I wonder if Jared Kushner's expression changed at any point during yesterday's riots?
His creepy-ass smile probably just got creepier...and ass-ier.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:55 pm Courtesy of freelance journalist and OSINT analyst at ISD Global, @elisethoma5:

@elisethoma5 wrote:For me, the striking thing about so many of these images of rioters in the Capitol is that what they're doing - all of them - is creating content for social media.

At least in their minds, the true seat of power is not actually in that building. It's online.

@Bencjacobs wrote:This may be the lasting image of today
Enlarge Image

Politics is always performative, but the nature of the performance has changed dramatically in just a few years. What we saw today was the sudden, violent disruption of one performance, the certification of electoral college votes, for another, wilder show.

They could have done anything in that building today. What they did, by and large, was take selfies and create social media content. That was what really mattered to them. Whatever higher motives they might claim, their actions suggest that was the real motive for many of them.

It's no coincidence that the star and driving animus of this show is a man who has built his whole life and business around delivering compelling performances on broadcast and digital media.
Just look at them. They are so dirt dumb with no IQ its like a bunch of monkeys broke into a NASA launch control room and all they can do is sling shit for their fellow monkeys. And thats a slight to monkeys.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There's a meme going around showing the buffalo hat guy at a BLM protest alongside an image from yesterday's riot, and the theory is he's antifa because of that. My god people, do you think counter protests don't exist???? How friggin' stupid are you people. Numerous fact checking sites even have a freakin' interview from the guy during the BLM protest where he explicitly states he IS there to counter protest.
Covfefe!
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I don't that this is new. "I was there man" goes back a long way. When George Washington was leading the cr
    gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I don't know that this is new. "I was there man" goes back a long way. When George Washington was leading the crossing of the Mississippi river you can believe that most of his men would have been taking selfies if they had cellphones back then.
    Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:44 pm There's a meme going around showing the buffalo hat guy at a BLM protest alongside an image from yesterday's riot, and the theory is he's antifa because of that. My god people, do you think counter protests don't exist???? How friggin' stupid are you people. Numerous fact checking sites even have a freakin' interview from the guy during the BLM protest where he explicitly states he IS there to counter protest.
    The guy known far-and-wide as the "QAnon Shaman."
    (˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
    Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:25 pm
    hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:44 pm There's a meme going around showing the buffalo hat guy at a BLM protest alongside an image from yesterday's riot, and the theory is he's antifa because of that. My god people, do you think counter protests don't exist???? How friggin' stupid are you people. Numerous fact checking sites even have a freakin' interview from the guy during the BLM protest where he explicitly states he IS there to counter protest.
    The guy known far-and-wide as the "QAnon Shaman."
    Oh, and I looked closely at his tattoos yesterday, which includes a valknut, a northern symbol representing pledging one's soul to Odin, which has been appropriated by white nationalist groups. Also spotted: Yggdrasil, Mjolnir, and what look like tipis on his knuckles. I'm sure the Native community just loves this guy, especially with the buffalo headdress.
    (˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
    hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wanna see Techno Viking beat his ass down.
    Covfefe!
    Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:37 pm I wanna see Techno Viking John Fetterman beat his ass down.
    Jaymann
    Black Lives Matter
    LawBeefaroni
    Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'll say this. After watching the video of the woman who was shot and killed yesterday in the Capitol Building, it sure seemed like the goal was to create content. Not the goal of the shooting but the goal of taking action like trying to go through the broken window in the door.

There were dozens of cameras and the two guys next her at the door were live streaming. Not 20 feet behind were officers armed with rifles hanging back. It's like everyone agreed that this was performance. Unfortunately the cop on the other side of the door wasn't informed.
    " Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
    "No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
    Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It was more 5-D Chess from Agolf: He lured all his most extreme supporters to DC and egged them on to storm the Capitol. He knew they would incriminate themselves with selfies, allowing the FBI to round them all up with minimal effort. Then in a month or two when he is hauled off to prison - voila, a pre-made gang of hard core loyalists.
    Last edited by Jaymann on Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Jaymann
    Black Lives Matter
    Anonymous Bosch

Jaymann wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:21 pm viola, a pre-made gang of hard core loyalists.
    Enlarge Image
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
    Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gameoverman wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:50 pm I don't know that this is new. "I was there man" goes back a long way. When George Washington was leading the crossing of the Mississippi river you can believe that most of his men would have been taking selfies if they had cellphones back then.
    That time the Continental Army invaded Iowa? You bet they would've documented that!
    Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:47 pm
    gameoverman wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:50 pm I don't know that this is new. "I was there man" goes back a long way. When George Washington was leading the crossing of the Mississippi river you can believe that most of his men would have been taking selfies if they had cellphones back then.
    That time the Continental Army invaded Iowa? You bet they would've documented that!
    Dammit! I was gonna go for this.

But it was New Spain at the time.
    Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
    Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:47 pm
    That was nothing compared to when they took over the airports.
    Jaymann
    Black Lives Matter
    Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Buffalo man....Tatonka.
    --------------------------------------------
    I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
    I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
    "Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
    Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

LawBeefaroni wrote:There were dozens of cameras and the two guys next her at the door were live streaming. Not 20 feet behind were officers armed with rifles hanging back. It's like everyone agreed that this was performance. Unfortunately the cop on the other side of the door wasn't informed.
    I tried to avoid that video, but it managed to auto play for me on Tapatalk.

I can not imagine a world in which security officers that are actually working for the same team are on both sides of that door.

[edit] - And now I keep watching it, completely nonplussed. What the fuck where those cops in the hallway doing at all? I mean, I guess they could be seditionists in cop gear, but I feel that rifles are pretty severely frowned upon on in the capital.
    Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Fretmute wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:37 pm
    LawBeefaroni wrote:There were dozens of cameras and the two guys next her at the door were live streaming. Not 20 feet behind were officers armed with rifles hanging back. It's like everyone agreed that this was performance. Unfortunately the cop on the other side of the door wasn't informed.

I can not imagine a world in which security officers that are actually working for the same team are on both sides of that door.

[edit] - And now I keep watching it, completely nonplussed. What the fuck where those cops in the hallway doing at all? I mean, I guess they could be seditionists in cop gear, but I feel that rifles are pretty severely frowned upon on in the capital.
    I was thinking the same thing about them. They had absolutely no control over the situation while letting a bunch of yahoos mill around with their phones recording.
    dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm so proud of the asshole in Nancy Pelosi's office that's from Arkansas.
    He's pretty smug about it now but wait until he gets convicted of a felony and can't legally own guns anymore.
    Ye Olde Farte
    Double Ought Forty
    aka dbt1949
    Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'm not sure I see the interesting perspective. We've been in an era of personal content creation for a while now.
    Anonymous Bosch

Alefroth wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:03 pm
    Fretmute wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:37 pm

I was thinking the same thing about them. They had absolutely no control over the situation while letting a bunch of yahoos mill around with their phones recording.
    Ben Domenech, a former staffer at the Capitol, clarifies part of problem in the commentary he wrote for the Federalist about the consequences of the assault:
    Ben Domenech wrote:Capitol Police are fine people. They’re nice and generally accommodating. But they’re also the TSA of Capitol Hill — mostly used to telling people to go back and get their badge, not deal with a security issue. They rarely train. Most of them would fail a basic fitness test. But that’s understandable because what’s typically required of them is not a major security conflagration, but removing some loud Code Pink lady from a hearing, or grabbing a jumper from the Gallery. The norms of politics prevent them from having to be more aggressive.

On the eve of the protests yesterday, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser, who gives all the evidence of having a brain mostly composed of pudding, demurred on offers of extra law enforcement, saying they were unnecessary and would cause confusion. The result was a group of Capitol Police who seemed woefully unprepared for the crush of the massive crowd that showed up, without riot gear or moveable barriers or the equipment necessary to peacefully quell a potentially violent gathering.

The breach yesterday has been long in the making. Even as a young staffer I was shocked at how unsecure the Capitol was — there are numerous gaps in their security that you will easily witness if you spend any time there. It’s only the intimidating columns, the confusion about which door you can use, and the institutions and norms that keep people at bay. And those, alas, are now gone. They are dead, they are in the ground, and they are not coming back.
    gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:53 pm Ben Domenech, a former staffer at the Capitol, clarifies part of problem in the commentary he wrote for the Federalist about the consequences of the assault:
    Or maybe I won't be getting my information from some random right-wing staffer and instead read actual news, that made it very clear that National Guard was deployed to Washington DC with a very limited directive to NOT engage with any political protesting. So essentially they were only allowed to manage crowds and traffic several blocks away from the Capitol until the DoD finally approved their "change of mission".
    Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

gilraen wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:03 am
    Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:53 pm Ben Domenech, a former staffer at the Capitol, clarifies part of problem in the commentary he wrote for the Federalist about the consequences of the assault:
    Or maybe I won't be getting my information from some random right-wing staffer and instead read actual news, that made it very clear that National Guard was deployed to Washington DC with a very limited directive to NOT engage with any political protesting. So essentially they were only allowed to manage crowds and traffic several blocks away from the Capitol until the DoD finally approved their "change of mission".
    He's no random staffer. He co-founded The Federalist and RedState.
    malchior

Post by malchior »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:53 pmHe's no random staffer. He co-founded The Federalist and RedState.
    Yeah. That's the problem. From the original article.
    What will happen next is obvious: A total crushing, anti-free speech effort that treats Trump-supporting groups like Branch Davidians. An effort to restore the fundamentally unserious neocons as the voice of reason in the room. A hardening of the bounds of the People’s House to keep people away from politicians. A use of any levers of government power — including audits, regulation, and lawfare — to harass conservatives now categorized as seditionists and terrorists by the incoming president who falsely claims to want to unite the country. And above all, a doubling down on all the policies and efforts put in place to crush exactly the type of people who showed up at the Capitol yesterday in a foolish, desperate attempt to make themselves heard.
    There is some truth in their for sure about how policy has created these people but his disgust is pointed in the wrong direction. Far-right economic policy that people like him espouse are a direct cause of this. That he thinks it is "audits, regulation, and lawfare" is the usual cry of the Conservative and is just precious now. Instead, we have tons of evidence that reverse robin hood economics policy over the last 40 years is a significant factor that impoverished these people and pushed them to the brink. It was only a matter of time before it finally turned into a real problem.
    $iljanus
    Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

malchior wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:52 am
    Alefroth wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:53 pmHe's no random staffer. He co-founded The Federalist and RedState.
    Yeah. That's the problem. From the original article.
    What will happen next is obvious: A total crushing, anti-free speech effort that treats Trump-supporting groups like Branch Davidians. An effort to restore the fundamentally unserious neocons as the voice of reason in the room. A hardening of the bounds of the People’s House to keep people away from politicians. A use of any levers of government power — including audits, regulation, and lawfare — to harass conservatives now categorized as seditionists and terrorists by the incoming president who falsely claims to want to unite the country. And above all, a doubling down on all the policies and efforts put in place to crush exactly the type of people who showed up at the Capitol yesterday in a foolish, desperate attempt to make themselves heard.
    There is some truth in their for sure about how policy has created these people but his disgust is pointed in the wrong direction. Far-right economic policy that people like him espouse are a direct cause of this. That he thinks it is "audits, regulation, and lawfare" is the usual cry of the Conservative and is just precious now. Instead, we have tons of evidence that reverse robin hood economics policy over the last 40 years is a significant factor that impoverished these people and pushed them to the brink. It was only a matter of time before it finally turned into a real problem.
    Wow from that excerpt, all the things he fears sound like the current system in place to suppress people protesting against racial or economic injustice. But we can’t have the rights of alt-right conspiracy loving snowflakes “trampled”.
    Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
    Holman

Post by Holman »

I wonder if he wrote this tenderly about BLM protesters.
    Paingod

Post by Paingod »

With all of these goons in the Capital Building, wouldn't it be woefully easy for the FBI to run a little phone triangulation to see which phones in the area were in that building and who they belonged to? Wouldn't cell data show a lot of dots outside that surge inside - and they could isolate those?
    Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
    malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:21 am
    I wonder if he wrote this tenderly about BLM protesters.
    This is why I don't trust even the Never Trumper body to some extent even though I somewhat sympathize with some of their values. They have tunnel vision about the role of Conservative policy in creating this mess.

It is tied into a lot of competing ideology planks that are coming apart right now. Traditional "Burkean" Conservatives are exposed to a lot of cognitive dissonance inputs right now. Their worldview is collapsing around them.
    malchior

Post by malchior »

Paingod wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:22 am With all of these goons in the Capital Building, wouldn't it be woefully easy for the FBI to run a little phone triangulation to see which phones in the area were in that building and who they belonged to? Wouldn't cell data show a lot of dots outside that surge inside - and they could isolate those?
    GPS data is that accurate. Cell data isn't. Depends on what they can get.
    Brian

Post by Brian »

malchior wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:46 am
    Paingod wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:22 am With all of these goons in the Capital Building, wouldn't it be woefully easy for the FBI to run a little phone triangulation to see which phones in the area were in that building and who they belonged to? Wouldn't cell data show a lot of dots outside that surge inside - and they could isolate those?
    But what if we zoom and enhance?
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
    Holman

Post by Holman »

The more people they gather up and lean on, the more will roll over on their friends, especially if it looks like some of them pre-planned this.

The FBI is very good at sweating confessions and names out of people (or at least people who don't have the president's phone number).

That's why I think the danger of a blanket presidential pardon is real.
    malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:50 amThat's why I think the danger of a blanket presidential pardon is real.
    I am scared of this because it is the end of rule of law in a real way. However, unless he tweets it out I can't imagine it happening.
    hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Brian wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:48 am
    malchior wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:46 am
    But what if we zoom and enhance?
    Oooh, can we do it with our fingers on a virtual display as every show has done since Minority Report!?
    Covfefe!