Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Video Games Randomness

Post by Max Peck »

The article specifically cites Trump's anti-China tariffs coming into play, so without further information I'm not sure if this price increase is global or just in the US market.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Was looking for something and instead found my Star Trek Klingon & Star Trek Borg double boxed set still sealed in plastic wrap together. Neat.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:43 pm The article specifically cites Trump's anti-China tariffs coming into play, so without further information I'm not sure if this price increase is global or just in the US market.
From a global market force standpoint, even while it specifically mentions the US, there's no doubt in my mind that the effects will be felt in other countries as well., even if not directly. It will likely be a ripple effect.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Might have to close your eyes to get this one.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Here is something I found interesting, ChipTone by SFB Games.

As the page says, "Hello! ChipTone is a free tool for generating sound effects, mainly for games but they could be used for anything you like. I'm currently working to flesh out the sampler and the sequencer. This tool was originally made in Flash, but, uh, yeah, that didn't work out. So now it's in HTML5 instead! And Windows and Mac downloadable versions too."

I played around with it and found it easy to use and rather fun. I'm currently working on making new missions for Door Kickers 2 and when they add Steam Workshop with mod support I might find it useful for making sounds.

It also has the current benefit of being an at home hearing test for us oldsters. I've found that I can just hear the tone at 8200 Hertz :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not sure how to do that hearing test thing but I can hear that entire keyboard. So can my dog. Scared the shit out of him because I had my speakers up..ouch.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I can hear a tone all the way up to the maximum frequency it generates, but it seems that I can't distinguish any difference in frequencies beyond about 12kHz. Above that, all the tones sound pretty much the same to me.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Still playing Starcrawlers. For the boss fight, their difficulty estimation was a bit off.
Spoiler:
To unravel the mystery of the Stella Marie, the ghost ship of the story, you originally went into the waste disposal section fo the ship and wiped out the boss there.

Turns out there's ANOTHER boss hiding behind him, and he has two companions that will kill you dead if you are not prepared. Basically, one sprays heavy sludge to slow you down, and the other sets you all on fire. (!!!!) The boss has like 20000 hp, while the two companions have like 6000 HP each. (For reference, my characters are about 1000 each) The first time, I forgot to check for difficulty, and I was wiped out, then I realized the mission was said to be "challenging". I was punching above my weight. No wonder.

So I went on a bunch of side missions, leveled the crew up, and even swapped out the engineer for the soldier. AND brought out Barkleby, the sentient dog. And I already have a bonus companion called Evie, a gift from Riggo, whom I spared before. And now the fight was supposed to be "easy" (which is just above "cakewalk") So basically, 6 against one, and it was STILL a close fight. This time I went for stun on the sludge thrower. And it sort of worked. Both Barkleby and Evie ended up going down, but it's only for this fight. They can't die. I guess I haven't quite figured out which skills complements what.

Not quite finding a set of good weapons for the cyberninja though. Guns, I find plenty, but not many blades. And I am progressing through the levels so far, many of my equipment are outdated (the equipment have levels too, as they are balanced for that level, so if you're a level 19 character wielding something from level 14, even if it's epic quality (purple), it's outclassed by some of the better blue stuff.

The cybercombat is getting a bit boring, as I'm a bit overpowered, and I can handle L1 and L2 fights without even taking any damage. Turn 1, I put up a barrier, which absorbs all attacks for 3 turns. Turn 2, I activate dupe, which puts up a duplicate me (albeit, only 33% of the HP) but he attacks just as hard. So basically my firepower just doubled, as I can be doing something ELSE while my dupe is dishing out damage. Turn 3, I do a multi-attack, usually some sort of corruption, damages 2-3 enemies, often killing one outright. My dupe keep firing back, often killing another, and that usually leaves one for me, just as the barrier expires, and I fire the big cannon, "Thud 4.0", and does like 390 damage which nukes just about everyone, if they survive my dupe's shots and my multi-attack damage. I have no problem handling L1 and L2 threats, and doesn't take much damage about L3 or even L4 threats, esp. when I have carefully chosen my upgrades to give me like 1800 hp. I've yet to go under 1200 in cybercombat.

On the other hand, I like the way the cyberworld is connected to the "real" world that you're also exploring, as breaking security nodes will often give you access to unlock doors or disable security, while breaking utility nodes will let you query and find your objectives and/or enemies. You can also buy single use tools for that, but credits are already short (most weapons sell for like 20-30 creds while upgrading some weapons can take THOUSANDS, and some of the legendary apps for your cybercombat can cost nearly $1000.

My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Some friends and I have started playing Ghosts of Tsushima Legends. That's the multiplayer component. It's a bit of a mixed bag, honestly. They were hyping up the fact that you could co-op with people in a story mode. You can invite up to 4 people in your party, but if you want to partake in the storymode, it's only up to 2 players. You can play up to 4 friends in survival mode. Not quite the same thing and it's a bit of a downer. The fact that they restrict what you can do by the size of your party is frankly disappointing. With 3-4 players, you're really limited with what you can do together in terms of content, and we were hoping for so much more.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:16 am Still playing Starcrawlers. For the boss fight, their difficulty estimation was a bit off.
Spoiler:
To unravel the mystery of the Stella Marie, the ghost ship of the story, you originally went into the waste disposal section fo the ship and wiped out the boss there.

Turns out there's ANOTHER boss hiding behind him, and he has two companions that will kill you dead if you are not prepared. Basically, one sprays heavy sludge to slow you down, and the other sets you all on fire. (!!!!) The boss has like 20000 hp, while the two companions have like 6000 HP each. (For reference, my characters are about 1000 each) The first time, I forgot to check for difficulty, and I was wiped out, then I realized the mission was said to be "challenging". I was punching above my weight. No wonder.

So I went on a bunch of side missions, leveled the crew up, and even swapped out the engineer for the soldier. AND brought out Barkleby, the sentient dog. And I already have a bonus companion called Evie, a gift from Riggo, whom I spared before. And now the fight was supposed to be "easy" (which is just above "cakewalk") So basically, 6 against one, and it was STILL a close fight. This time I went for stun on the sludge thrower. And it sort of worked. Both Barkleby and Evie ended up going down, but it's only for this fight. They can't die. I guess I haven't quite figured out which skills complements what.

Not quite finding a set of good weapons for the cyberninja though. Guns, I find plenty, but not many blades. And I am progressing through the levels so far, many of my equipment are outdated (the equipment have levels too, as they are balanced for that level, so if you're a level 19 character wielding something from level 14, even if it's epic quality (purple), it's outclassed by some of the better blue stuff.

The cybercombat is getting a bit boring, as I'm a bit overpowered, and I can handle L1 and L2 fights without even taking any damage. Turn 1, I put up a barrier, which absorbs all attacks for 3 turns. Turn 2, I activate dupe, which puts up a duplicate me (albeit, only 33% of the HP) but he attacks just as hard. So basically my firepower just doubled, as I can be doing something ELSE while my dupe is dishing out damage. Turn 3, I do a multi-attack, usually some sort of corruption, damages 2-3 enemies, often killing one outright. My dupe keep firing back, often killing another, and that usually leaves one for me, just as the barrier expires, and I fire the big cannon, "Thud 4.0", and does like 390 damage which nukes just about everyone, if they survive my dupe's shots and my multi-attack damage. I have no problem handling L1 and L2 threats, and doesn't take much damage about L3 or even L4 threats, esp. when I have carefully chosen my upgrades to give me like 1800 hp. I've yet to go under 1200 in cybercombat.

On the other hand, I like the way the cyberworld is connected to the "real" world that you're also exploring, as breaking security nodes will often give you access to unlock doors or disable security, while breaking utility nodes will let you query and find your objectives and/or enemies. You can also buy single use tools for that, but credits are already short (most weapons sell for like 20-30 creds while upgrading some weapons can take THOUSANDS, and some of the legendary apps for your cybercombat can cost nearly $1000.

Dangit. Yet another “oh this looks neat!” “Oh I already bought this!”
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Company had to cancel all order of the new PS5 Black because of credible threats from assholes.

Black PS5 sale ends in disaster, as all orders cancelled due to ‘staff threats’
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:39 pm Company had to cancel all order of the new PS5 Black because of credible threats from assholes.

Black PS5 sale ends in disaster, as all orders cancelled due to ‘staff threats’
People suck. Nobody should be issuing death threats over a console, of all things.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Still going in Star Crawlers. I have a full party of 8, but I was leveling up so fast some of my party were still Level 21 while the "original" members were level 28 going on 29 already. I've tried to slow down by taking half and half (half of the party L28, the other half younger), and they did make combat of different classes distinct, all with different actions and follow up strikes. I'll go start up a new thread.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone know where to get a real Xbox360 Play & Charge kit for the controller? had one but it died a few years back. All the ones on Walmart and Amazon appear to be fake Chinese knockoffs from reviews.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Now that Ive re finished Crysis 1 2 & 3 again I need a new shooter to install. Not too old not too new. Something in the middle. Hmmmm
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Played StarCrawlers until I'm tired of it. I've read the guides and figured out some interactions that I can make most classes work, maybe not optimally, but at least what skills to activate when, with almost any class combinations and thereof. So that's done.

Went back to Radio Commander and did a pretty tense mission, and it didn't turn out the way I expected. I have three platoons, but no artillery, and I was supposed to "herd" FOUR NVA units into the armored brigade lying in wait for them, across a couple KM front. I do have a little observation plane to help me, but he can only recon for a few minutes per HOUR (!?) So I basically had to cheat... I didn't spot the enemies early enough, as I was expecting them IN the operational area (the box on the map), yet 2 of 4 units are just outside of it, and that means I had to move my units around to "herd" them back into position. I ended up chasing three of them across the map (separately) until I wore them down until they surrendered. Only the 4th one was chased into the armored brigade. Still, my platoons suffered like 1 KIA and a couple WIA, and we took out no less than 4 NVA or VC platoons. I call that a success.

Just did mission 7 in Radio Commander, and let's say it was a severe... blow to morale.
Spoiler:
Alpha platoon was wiped out to the last man. They thought they were okay staying on the hill to cover, but they didn't know they were surrounded by tunnels and whatnot. Bravo and Echo made it to the landing zone, but I had to fiddle with the Huey Slicks (H-1's) to go to the hill, then the LZ, before Echo platoon would load up and be evac'ed. Local commander said they can probably get another platoon out before the main wave arrives, but that would leave Alpha on the hill by themselves out to dry. I ordered Bravo to get back there after dropping Echo off. But it was too late. According to the walktur, Alpha's fate is pre-scripted. I either leave them on the hill and listen to their radio go silent... and every men in the company knowing I left them out there, or I order Bravo back and break their morale while the rest of company know I did what I could at the risk of running Bravo into yet another ambush.
Finished 8 and 9, and that's the end of the game except quick battles.

First, the mission briefings, then the final impressions.
Spoiler:
Misison 8 was supposed to be easy: you have three units: Dragon One (APCs) Bravo Platoon, and Echo Platoon, and you're supposed to check out three villages and secure them. You have Atlas One, Tarhe heavy cargo lifters, and Foxtrot battery of howitzers. You can use Atlas to lift the Foxtrot battery to anywhere on the map. I just plunk them in the middle, equidistant to all three villages for fire support. Then I use Atlas as an airborne scout, fly them around to spot for Charlies. So I sent one platoon and the APCs toward one village, then the other platoon to the other village. They counter some VC units on the way, but with artillery and Atlas spotting, they were annihilated in no time. The main problem is coordinating Dragon, which, as APCs, they move much faster than the grunts on foot. First village reached by Bravo/Dragon were no problem. Nor was the second. Echo, with the noob el-tee had some problems... they found a cache of old weapons. Is it for VC or not? As by this time Bravo and Dragon are done, I sent them south to the third village. They had to sweep a couple VC units out of the way, but it was done. Then....
Spoiler:
It was heavily implied that the game equivalent of May Lai massacre happened.
I then had to send the two platoons to the other two villages to complete the mission.
Spoiler:
Mission 9 was interesting... Echo platoon was lost in the jungle after being chased out by a flood of charlies and was completely lost in the jungle. And this was 0130 (or as military joked: oh-dark-hundred) so no evac can be done, nor can recon be done. Fortunately, Delta (green berets) were in the area and they generously volunteered a little time to find echo for us. So I ran them toward echo's last known position, and started circling the spot, shooting at any charlies in the way. Delta took out no less than three charlie platoons by themselves. In one of the fights, echo claimed he saw a 10 man squad passing to their south, and this was while Delta was attacking a charlie position to the east. So as soon as that fight was done I told Delta to move northwest, and sure enough, echo was there, a bit further than I thought, but close enough. I ordered echo to start treking south, avoiding Charlies. It bumped into one platoon of charlies at about 4:30AM but was able to wipe them out. It kept going south, and finally the sun was up allowing Green One (the slick Hueys) to pick them up... and that's when Acosta (Echo's lieutenant) confessed what REALLY happened at the previous mission.
Interesting wargame. The fog of war lends a feel to the game that few other wargames achieved, and while combat is vague, I congratulate the makers on trying something new. 6 out of 8 tentacles, esp. considering its relatively low price.

Do people really say "cache" as "ca-chet" back in the 60's? :) Or pronounce Chicom as chi-kom?
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:34 pm Now that Ive re finished Crysis 1 2 & 3 again I need a new shooter to install. Not too old not too new. Something in the middle. Hmmmm
Far Cry Blood Dragon?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hrothgar wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:05 am
Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:34 pm Now that Ive re finished Crysis 1 2 & 3 again I need a new shooter to install. Not too old not too new. Something in the middle. Hmmmm
Far Cry Blood Dragon?
I never did get into that. I didn't get it or play it when it came out but played all the Far Cry games. I tried it last year I think or the year before...my heart wasn't in a place for it.

Might be time to dig out.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's my favorite Far Cry, hands-down. The gameplay is better in others, but nothing beats the humor and aesthetic of Blood Dragon. I need to play that again. Maybe watch some films to get the mindset - Commando, Robocop, Running Man, and Escape from New York should do the trick.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Brian

Post by Brian »

We just rewatched Total Recall which deserves a place on your list.

"Get your ass to Mars!"
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's in the same genre, although it also pulls from Predator, Aliens, Terminator 2, Rocky 4, and Rambo 2 & 3. And probably Tron.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Currently playing through the "Darkening of Tristram" event in Diablo 3 for the first time. It recreates the original game in D3.

Man...the nostalgia is definitely real with this one. While I don't know that I'm all that interested go back and play the original Diablo on PC at this point, playing this shorter simulated version on Switch is a blast.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:55 am It's in the same genre, although it also pulls from Predator, Aliens, Terminator 2, Rocky 4, and Rambo 2 & 3. And probably Tron.
Highlander 2?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:03 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:55 am It's in the same genre, although it also pulls from Predator, Aliens, Terminator 2, Rocky 4, and Rambo 2 & 3. And probably Tron.
Highlander 2?
We're talking B movies here, not D- movies.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They never made a Highlander sequel.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:38 pm They never made a Highlander sequel.
Do you have a newsletter? I'd like to subscribe. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

TheMix wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:33 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:38 pm They never made a Highlander sequel.
Do you have a newsletter? I'd like to subscribe. :D
Two actually but the one on panty hose and hairy legs is on back order.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive started Bloodragon. The colors hurt. Also have no idea why Im collecting hearts.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hearts come in handy later.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Brian wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:13 am We just rewatched Total Recall which deserves a place on your list.

"Get your ass to Mars!"
FWIW, Chaser is basically the game version, albeit, without the movie IP and Arnie.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

back in 2003, there was a small group i convened on GoneGold to make some sort of game developed on the Dungeon Siege engine. of course that never took off, but someone suggested a concept of 'monkeys with rocket launchers' - well, Monkey Barrels could be that game, 17 years later:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p ... rrels/home
raydude

Post by raydude »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:44 am Do people really say "cache" as "ca-chet" back in the 60's? :) Or pronounce Chicom as chi-kom?
Been pronouncing "cache" as "ka-shay" for as long as I can remember. First time I heard it pronounced "cash" was from one of my friends about 10 years ago. Apparently that's the correct pronunciation :)
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

raydude wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:39 am
Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:44 am Do people really say "cache" as "ca-chet" back in the 60's? :) Or pronounce Chicom as chi-kom?
Been pronouncing "cache" as "ka-shay" for as long as I can remember. First time I heard it pronounced "cash" was from one of my friends about 10 years ago. Apparently that's the correct pronunciation :)
Next thing you're going to tell me 'mustache' isn't 'mus-tah-shay'
Brian

Post by Brian »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:44 am Or pronounce Chicom as chi-kom?
Do people not pronounce it that way?

I mean, Chinese Communist = Chi-kom, yes?
Chicom
Noun

Chi·​com | \ ˈchī¦käm \
plural -s
Definition of Chicom
: a communist Chinese
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

raydude wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:39 am
That kind of leaves 'cachet' out in the cold.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Brian wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:34 am
Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:44 am Or pronounce Chicom as chi-kom?
Do people not pronounce it that way?

I mean, Chinese Communist = Chi-kom, yes?
Chicom
Noun

Chi·​com | \ ˈchī¦käm \
plural -s
Definition of Chicom
: a communist Chinese
I think I can't do pronunciation properly. I mean "chee-kom", rather than "chai-kom"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

It's always amused me how Americans invariably bugger up pronouncing the word melee or mêlée.

The first e with the circumflex accent (ê) means that it's supposed be pronounced similar to the e in bet. And the e-acute (é) denotes the pronunciation ought to be akin to the e in hey, similar to fiancée or sauté.

So the correct pronunciation sounds more akin to "mell-AY," and definitely not "MAY-lay."
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I didn't come here to go to school. Stop this nonsense :P
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:23 pm I think I can't do pronunciation properly. I mean "chee-kom", rather than "chai-kom"
As in Chicom and the Man?

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:56 pm It's always amused me how Americans invariably bugger up pronouncing the word melee or mêlée.
[...]

So the correct pronunciation sounds more akin to "mell-AY," and definitely not "MAY-lay."
Then I shouldn't tell you how many people I've heard pronounce it 'mee-lee.' Most of them RPGers.

Shall we get into 'wyvern' (why, Vern?)