25% US tariff on GPUs from China

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Montag

25% US tariff on GPUs from China

Post by Montag »

That $1500 GTX 3090 just got a bit more expensive!

'“Don’t Build a High-End Gaming PC Right Now,” Tom’s Hardware declared in November. “This Is a Bad Time to Build a High-End Gaming PC,” ExtremeTech echoed last month. But it’s looking like the worst time to build a new gaming rig is still to come. That’s because a perfect storm is pushing the price of components like must-have Nvidia or AMD graphics cards even further skyward — and because Donald Trump is now part of that storm.

The Trump administration is now imposing a 25 percent tax on graphics cards imported from China, and at least one PC component manufacturer has announced it’ll pass along part of that cost to consumers.'

From the Verge:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/7/22217 ... ion-expire
words
Daehawk

Re: 25% US tariff on GPUs from China

Post by Daehawk »

Stop using China as cheap labor.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:14 am Stop using China as cheap labor.
Says the person who most consistently complains about the price of things.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have too Im poor. Stuff didn't used to be made there.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:38 am I have too Im poor. Stuff didn't used to be made there.
That ship sailed 4+ decades ago. We no longer have the space, equipment or ability to compete. When it's cheaper to print board games and miniatures in China and send them to the USA than it is to make them domestically, you think electronics are going to be competitive?

Regardless, I did see this a few days ago and it's really unfortunate.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe all overseas stuff will become too shit and expensive and the world will change...hahahahahaha who am I kidding.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:08 pm Maybe all overseas stuff will become too shit and expensive and the world will change...hahahahahaha who am I kidding.
Sure, the world can change the way you're talking about, at which point everything you buy costs 30% more. You thought you were poor before?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The price rose due to bitcoin mining, and people were all like wait for the next iteration, and now we have this. This is going to be felt all over. It was already expensive enough for me to get my 1050Ti when the card wasn't even high-end just 2 years ago when I needed a replacement.

And manufacturers seem to encourage bitcoin mining rather than looking down on them, which makes me wonder, why couldn't they put out some dedicated external GPU to be used for bitcoin mining and leave the regular cards alone?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:08 pm Maybe all overseas stuff will become too shit and expensive and the world will change...hahahahahaha who am I kidding.
My take on this, short version. Post WWII meant the US worker was the only game in town. Iron Curtain, China, developing world- all out of reach of US business. Western Europe and Japan were in rebuilding mode. This created the illusion that the US worker was special and would always be special. Then the world changed. Japan and Western Europe were back in business. The developing world stabilized both politically and economically. The Iron Curtain came down and China joined the world economy. Now reality has set in. 'They' will make stuff where labor is cheapest. The only way graphics cards would be made here in the US is if US workers were willing to work for less than Chinese workers. That's called a race to the bottom. Don't hope for something to happen that makes foreign production more expensive because that won't happen, short of a large scale war. What WILL happen is corporations will simply find the next cheap source of labor. If Chinese workers become too demanding then maybe someplace in Africa or South America will be the next manufacturing hot spot. There will always be another worker so desperate to survive they'll work for less than you.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Chinese made stuff is such crap. Back when Japan and Taiwan made everything it was better quality.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And before that, Taiwanese and Japanese were crap. They leverage the earnings of cheap crap to improve so they can make better crap.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gameoverman wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:13 pm
My take on this, short version. Post WWII meant the US worker was the only game in town. Iron Curtain, China, developing world- all out of reach of US business. Western Europe and Japan were in rebuilding mode. This created the illusion that the US worker was special and would always be special. Then the world changed. Japan and Western Europe were back in business. The developing world stabilized both politically and economically. The Iron Curtain came down and China joined the world economy. Now reality has set in. 'They' will make stuff where labor is cheapest. The only way graphics cards would be made here in the US is if US workers were willing to work for less than Chinese workers. That's called a race to the bottom. Don't hope for something to happen that makes foreign production more expensive because that won't happen, short of a large scale war. What WILL happen is corporations will simply find the next cheap source of labor. If Chinese workers become too demanding then maybe someplace in Africa or South America will be the next manufacturing hot spot. There will always be another worker so desperate to survive they'll work for less than you.
Two things: (1) Labor is gradually being automated away, especially in businesses that are reshoring. And (2) the pandemic has made short supply chains look a whole lot better.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:22 pm Chinese made stuff is such crap. Back when Japan and Taiwan made everything it was better quality.
I remember when "Jap crap" was a saying.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:22 pm Chinese made stuff is such crap.
That's very simplistic. When you are the world's factory and make so much, then yes, you will make some low quality product. But they also make high quality product like the iPhone.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

stessier wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:34 am
Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:22 pm Chinese made stuff is such crap.
That's very simplistic. When you are the world's factory and make so much, then yes, you will make some low quality product. But they also make high quality product like the iPhone.
When I worked in Hard Drives, there was manufacturing capabilities that were only available in China, Thailand, and Singapore. I'm certain other parts of the world could "reinvent" these capabilities, but that's not the world we currently live in.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Kraken wrote:
Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:22 pm Chinese made stuff is such crap. Back when Japan and Taiwan made everything it was better quality.
Now and then, those phrases were fueled by nationalistic resentment and racism. If you’re looking to buy crap at the Dollar Store, China is more than willing to provide. If you want hi-tech TVs or PCs, they’re also capable. Depends on what you’re buying as much as the source.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Montag

Post by Montag »

Zarathud wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:58 am
Kraken wrote:
Now and then, those phrases were fueled by nationalistic resentment and racism. If you’re looking to buy crap at the Dollar Store, China is more than willing to provide. If you want hi-tech TVs or PCs, they’re also capable. Depends on what you’re buying as much as the source.
I would say to people there is more than one China. The one that makes the cheap toys and junk and the one that could put people in Space. The U.S. couldn't do that for 9 years. China had 4 manned missions during that time period.
words
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

And the reality is that China, being good at what they do, can heavily undercut the competition. Even if you were to set up something domestically, you'd never be able to reach the market price, and that is part and parcel because of culture and what is allowable.

My Dad was manufacturing telescopes in the 90's, and advertised them in the major publications and he'd found a pretty good niche at a fair price for what he was offering. He'd attracted enough attention from the Chinese market that then began to offer similar products and undercut him. And my Dad being just a small business couldn't afford to compete with them. He was already going as low as he could go and barely making any money on them.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And a tremendous number of the 'made in America' products people insist on are just assembled in America out of parts made in China.

China's why we can afford all the junk we have while still being able to eat.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yes, ironically enough, even those red hats ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:38 am And the reality is that China, being good at what they do, can heavily undercut the competition. Even if you were to set up something domestically, you'd never be able to reach the market price, and that is part and parcel because of culture and what is allowable.

My Dad was manufacturing telescopes in the 90's, and advertised them in the major publications and he'd found a pretty good niche at a fair price for what he was offering. He'd attracted enough attention from the Chinese market that then began to offer similar products and undercut him. And my Dad being just a small business couldn't afford to compete with them. He was already going as low as he could go and barely making any money on them.
Until they have to follow the rules that US business have to follow, they will always be able to under cut. If we made laws that require all imports to follow US regulations there would not be any imports from China.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, that's it exactly. It would be counter-productive.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti