Chinese Rimworld - Amazing Cultivation Simulator

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Victoria Raverna

Chinese Rimworld - Amazing Cultivation Simulator

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Anyone tried this game? Seem to be interesting.

KEY FEATURES

Design your own Cultivation sect from scratch until it becomes a huge spiritual center.
Manage your school and students so they are happy and productive for you.
Expand your domains and meet new allies to become more powerful than other sects.
Commerce and interact with other NPCs, but be careful – your actions will impact their behavior!
Keep the balance between good and evil.
Research and fill your library with more and more sources of mystic knowledge, martial arts, medicine…
Search for the most powerful relics and artifacts.
Hunt evil beasts and demons that want to destroy the world you want to protect.
Live unique playthroughs every time: maps are randomly generated for each run.
Learn about Chinese myths and legends, as well as spiritual traditions which draw from Taoism and Buddhism.
Madmarcus

Re: Chinese Rimworld - Amazing Cultivation Simulator

Post by Madmarcus »

It looks interesting. Thanks for putting it on my radar.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It looks a lot like someone took Rimworld and rubbed Chinese mythos all over it.

I'm not saying it looks bad, but it has very clear roots in a particular game. Rimworld is more than enough Rimworld for me, unless there's something incredibly compelling about this.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Victoria Raverna

Seem like it doesn't play like RImworld. The base building is Rimworld, but after that it is totally different. It is probably comparable to a total conversion for Rim World where the goal is to reach enlightment and become a demigod.

You're building a taoism monastery/sect to survive while trying to improve/cultivate your character to become a chinese demigod.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

If random Steam reviews are to be believed it is less frantic than Rimworld. I've never played Rimworld but I know that my taste is games is generally less frantic so that sounds like a win.

I should add that I am actively trying to avoid buying games right now while I spend my hobby money elsewhere so while I'd love to hear impressions I'm not likely to buy this game anytime soon.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Madmarcus wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:37 am If random Steam reviews are to be believed it is less frantic than Rimworld.
Wow. That's the opposite impression I had after watching that teaser video (well, the first half of the teaser video, at least—I turned it off part way through).
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I was intending to post about this a bit back, but never got around to it. I heard about this game right as they were releasing their official English translation and really enjoyed what I played of it (20 hours or so IIRC).

The core of the game has you managing an ancient Chinese martial arts school, both building the buildings, and recruiting and training new students. The setting feels a lot like something out of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon with ascended fighters able to fly and use other supernatural powers. There's a huge amount of depth to the progression system, and a number of different paths you can go down that all require different strategies.

The building is pretty straight forward, but there is a whole feng shui system that takes a little bit to understand, but isn't hard once you get used to it.

There's also a whole layer of sending disciples on missions and fighting with or maintaining good relations with other schools around the map that I only dipped my toe into, but seems like a lot of the mid to late game deals with that.

The visuals and animations in particular look amazing, and there are lots of differences between this and Rimworld despite the similar mechanics, but how much the setting appeals to you should probably factor in for anyone thinking about picking it up.
Victoria Raverna

Sepiche wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:29 pm I was intending to post about this a bit back, but never got around to it. I heard about this game right as they were releasing their official English translation and really enjoyed what I played of it (20 hours or so IIRC).

The core of the game has you managing an ancient Chinese martial arts school, both building the buildings, and recruiting and training new students. The setting feels a lot like something out of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon with ascended fighters able to fly and use other supernatural powers. There's a huge amount of depth to the progression system, and a number of different paths you can go down that all require different strategies.

The building is pretty straight forward, but there is a whole feng shui system that takes a little bit to understand, but isn't hard once you get used to it.

There's also a whole layer of sending disciples on missions and fighting with or maintaining good relations with other schools around the map that I only dipped my toe into, but seems like a lot of the mid to late game deals with that.

The visuals and animations in particular look amazing, and there are lots of differences between this and Rimworld despite the similar mechanics, but how much the setting appeals to you should probably factor in for anyone thinking about picking it up.
Can you comment on the quality of the translation?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:49 pm Can you comment on the quality of the translation?
Seemed great to me. There a few things that felt like the usual fuzziness that comes from translating Chinese into English, but I didn't encounter anything that I couldn't understand.
Victoria Raverna

Got it and spend a lot times playing and learning. If you take it slow, the start is kinda like Rimworld but a lot of stuffs are locked until you have an inner disciple. This seem to be a game for minmax gamers. You can get to the golden core (third stage of inner disciple) easily but how you prepare for it matters. The power level of a top tier golden core is far from the low tier. Good thing is that you can "rebirth". So if you make mistake, you can restart a character back to normal mortal outer disciple and get him/her to golden core again with better preparation.

This game is a xianxia game. Like the superhuman in the xianxia genre, your characters are going to spend a lot of time improving (cultivate?) themselves to be a more powerful superhuman. Your sect can be good or evil depend on what choice you made.

I'm still very early in this game. Restarted several times to try to understand the game. Only reached lower tier golden core once. I didn't understand the differentces between lower stage breakthrough (level up) and golden core ones so ended up with a weak golden core character. I restarted from the beginning and hopefully can do better this time.

I use two mods, the auto cultivation/elysium mod and talisman drawing mod. With auto cultivation mod, you can let the mod micromanage the cultivation process (you need to balance between mental state and the training part). The talisman drawing mod add an auto draw button that will result in 95% quality talisman. You can get to 100% quality by drawing it manually, but I'm not good at drawing/writing using mouse so I'm unlikely to get 100%. 95% from the mod is probably better than what I can get manually.

There are other "must-have" mods but I try to avoid mods so I only use two of them. The talisman drawing mod is probably not as important and kinda cheating but not using the auto cultivation mod is too much work for me in micromanaging inner disciple's training. If you want to understand more maybe play it without that but once you know how to do it manually, using the mod is going to reduce micromanage. You can still turn it off when you need to micromanage some part of the process.

There are a lot of helpful guides in the game's discord channel.

https://discord.gg/F4cWJPf
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:29 pm The visuals and animations in particular look amazing, and there are lots of differences between this and Rimworld despite the similar mechanics, but how much the setting appeals to you should probably factor in for anyone thinking about picking it up.
How pretty it is is what caught my attention and puts me on the fence. I don't particularly have the time for another game, but...

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:20 am There are a lot of helpful guides in the game's discord channel.

https://discord.gg/F4cWJPf
And while I don't have time, I probably will go look for some playthroughs and watch them... also time I don't have...
Victoria Raverna

Today the Steam store page is gone. Noticed that some other Chinese games are gone, too. Maybe they're in process of moving games to Steam China?

Hopefully they'll have two version, one for Steam China and one for the regular Steam.

EDIT: Seem like all Chinese games store page are accessible again.