Election integrity and the transfer of power

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Election integrity and the transfer of power

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:49 pm Why won't they have a hearing?
I imagine this is due to a combination of the GSA decision to delay the transition, Trump administration foot dragging, and Mitch McConnell.
stessier

Post by stessier »

malchior wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:54 pm
I imagine this is due to a combination of the GSA decision to delay the transition, Trump administration foot dragging, and Mitch McConnell.
Ok, wasn't sure if it was a specific thing.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

This could go in a few threads, but since it relates to events last Wednesday...

Spoiler:
Following the events of Wednesday, including sheltering with several colleagues who refused to wear masks, I decided to take a Covid test.

I have tested positive.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Does that mean that *shudder* Mike Pomposity will remain Sec of State until there is a hearing?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Winken and Nod are up first.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:17 pm
Am I supposed to know who she is. :oops:

I watched waiting for Phoebe Buffet to make Phoebe comment about crystals or holistic healing or something. Ironically, that group are becoming Trump patriots. I think the antiscience groups have spent the last four years uniting under the MAGA banner.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

HuffPo
A trailer for the Netflix mockumentary “Death To 2020” dropped Monday, and “Friends” alum Lisa Kudrow appears to play one of the more despicable characters. (Watch the clip above.)

Her role is designated as “Jeanetta Grace Susan ― nonofficial spokesperson.” She appears in quick shots prepping for a TV spot at what looks like the White House. At one point the teaser focuses on her book, “Conservative Voices Are Being Silenced.”
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:04 pm HuffPo
A trailer for the Netflix mockumentary “Death To 2020” dropped Monday, and “Friends” alum Lisa Kudrow appears to play one of the more despicable characters. (Watch the clip above.)

Her role is designated as “Jeanetta Grace Susan ― nonofficial spokesperson.” She appears in quick shots prepping for a TV spot at what looks like the White House. At one point the teaser focuses on her book, “Conservative Voices Are Being Silenced.”
That explains why she looks like Phoebe. :D
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LOL, I thought that was real.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:13 pm

LOL, I thought that was real.
Which says a lot about the current state of things.

In other news, Dow Chemical just told the Sedition Caucus to GTFO.

UPDATE: Dow, the massive chemical company, tells me it will not donate to any member of Congress that objected to the certification of the presidential vote

This is not a pause. The company won't donate to these Republicans ever again.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Every time I see an announcement of another company cutting off money to these guys, my mind goes to that line in the Humpty Dance, "I'm the one who said just grab 'em in the biscuits." And I. CAN'T. STOP.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Monday that the House will move forward with impeaching President Trump for a second time if Vice President Pence does not seek to remove him under the 25th Amendment by Wednesday.

Her threat came shortly after House Democrats formally introduced an article of impeachment against Trump, charging him with “incitement of insurrection” for his role in the takeover of the U.S. Capitol last week by a violent pro-Trump mob. Democrats say that measure already has 218 co-sponsors, enough to guarantee passage.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm probably not fully informed, but haven't we heard that there's a more technical reason for Senate inaction?

It's something about the kinds of sessions that are scheduled between now and Jan 20. Essentially they can't do anything unless there's a unanimous vote to change the senate calendar, and we'll get nothing unanimously.

This is also a convenient obstacle to beginning a trial in the senate after impeachment.

If I'm wrong, I'd love to know. But I do recall hearing that it's not *simply* McConnell's intransigence slowing the pace.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:27 pmIf I'm wrong, I'd love to know. But I do recall hearing that it's not *simply* McConnell's intransigence slowing the pace.
No, it really is. The core argument is that no business can occur during a pro-forma session. However, you might recall back in 2011 when Mitch McConnell cast the dissenting vote and objected to unanimous consent, and then blocked appointments made by President Obama. So the argument that work cannot be done is off the table.

In truth, what it would take to have the Senate hold a trial after they're handed the articles by the House is for 48 Democrats and 3 Republicans to vote in favor of starting (as I've been made to understand it). So here, will Romney, Sasse and Murkowski (and every D senator) vote to begin ASAP? The world may never know.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:19 pm WaPo
Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Monday that the House will move forward with impeaching President Trump for a second time if Vice President Pence does not seek to remove him under the 25th Amendment by Wednesday.

Her threat came shortly after House Democrats formally introduced an article of impeachment against Trump, charging him with “incitement of insurrection” for his role in the takeover of the U.S. Capitol last week by a violent pro-Trump mob. Democrats say that measure already has 218 co-sponsors, enough to guarantee passage.
"This is a matter of utmost urgency for the soul of the nation! We must take immediate extreme action!!! So, like, get back to me by middle of the week, won't you?"

They've let him run roughshod for nearly 4 years, what's a few more days?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Republicans block 25th Amendment resolution to oust Trump
ep. Alex Mooney (R-W.Va.) objected to Hoyer’s request. Mooney, a Trump ally who has repeated the president’s unsubstantiated claims of widespread voter fraud, said he opposed Democrats rushing to pass a “resolution of this magnitude” with no debate.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

DesJarlais the adulterer and Fleischmann the butthole licker have both said they'd vote no on a Trump impeachment. Typical.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:07 pm DesJarlais the adulterer and Fleischmann the butthole licker have both said they'd vote no on a Trump impeachment. Typical.
Well, with names like that at least the voters presumably understood what they were getting when they voted for them.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

SCOOP - Acting DHS Secretary Chad Wolf is stepping down
It's good for all our security apparatus to be entirely devoid of leadership when the threat of violence and terrorist attacks is so very high, right? :?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, the people in my emergency response circles are wondering just who the F is in charge now - no one knows.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:08 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:07 pm DesJarlais the adulterer and Fleischmann the butthole licker have both said they'd vote no on a Trump impeachment. Typical.
Well, with names like that at least the voters presumably understood what they were getting when they voted for them.
Literally guffawed for several seconds at that.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:24 pm Yeah, the people in my emergency response circles are wondering just who the F is in charge now - no one knows.
falls to FEMA now .
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

At what point do we say the Trump administration has collapsed?
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

It collapsed last Wednesday. But the dust will be flying for quite some time.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

That's not dust, that's asbestos and other things that will cause damage down the line.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So about the only thing I've learned since 1/6 are that apparently when the President of the United States incites insurrection to maintain his position this is not resolved by swift application of the 25th Amendment or Impeachment. This is a terrifying realization, perhaps beyond terrifying I guess that he's still in the Oval Office 5+ days later, unencumbered. I guess when you consider that he's still in office, ~33% of Americans still approve of Trump and there are elected officials bending over backwards to continue to enable him, these are all things I definitely did not expect. I feel like we're in trouble.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:41 pm In other news, Dow Chemical just told the Sedition Caucus to GTFO.
Excellent name, that should stick!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Foreign news reports have been far less than those in the US - they are plainly calling this a coup.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:21 pm
SCOOP - Acting DHS Secretary Chad Wolf is stepping down
It's good for all our security apparatus to be entirely devoid of leadership when the threat of violence and terrorist attacks is so very high, right? :?
There's always the next level down.

I don't know who's next in line at DHS, but if they're not a Trump loyalist appointed for ass-kissing then, yes, we are better off.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Sad.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:01 pm So about the only thing I've learned since 1/6 are that apparently when the President of the United States incites insurrection to maintain his position this is not resolved by swift application of the 25th Amendment or Impeachment. This is a terrifying realization, perhaps beyond terrifying I guess that he's still in the Oval Office 5+ days later, unencumbered. I guess when you consider that he's still in office, ~33% of Americans still approve of Trump and there are elected officials bending over backwards to continue to enable him, these are all things I definitely did not expect. I feel like we're in trouble.
You could say that we're fucked.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Grifman wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:18 pm

Sad.
I saw those poll numbers earlier today. How is that even possible???
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kurth wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:37 pmI saw those poll numbers earlier today. How is that even possible???
Is it possible they conducted the poll among people present during the actual attempt to take over the Capitol?
Zaxxon wrote:You could say that we're fucked
I've just been thinking about how slowly this has all been unfolding. I know it's the federal government and wheels are slow, but it kinda feels like during an insurrection maybe they should be moving a little faster. I'm also left thinking there are lots and lots of people around the U.S. that absolutely support what happened (see above) and I'm having a hard time understanding how we just move beyond that. Case in point - Wisconsin GOP:
Just visit the homepage for the St. Croix Republican Party.

Scrawled across the top of the page is the Latin phrase "Si vis pacem, para bellum," which is followed by its translation:

"If you want peace, prepare for war."

Political patriots are then encouraged to join the "digital battlefield."
I'm beginning to believe the people predicting the next 2+ years are going to be a complete mess.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:34 pm

"This is a matter of utmost urgency for the soul of the nation! We must take immediate extreme action!!! So, like, get back to me by middle of the week, won't you?"

What practical difference does a couple of extra days make, given that McConnell and the Senate will not convene the trial and will not vote to convict Trump before the end of his term?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Optics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:53 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:34 pm

What practical difference does a couple of extra days make, given that McConnell and the Senate will not convene the trial and will not vote to convict Trump before the end of his term?
None of this will have a practical difference. But that's the problem. The Democrats often don't act in this system because making anything work has become impossible and they always want to play within the bounds of the practical. The system isn't practical anymore though. That is why it was important to play a long game to demonstrate values and communicate that this was an outrageous, unacceptable act and constituted an urgent emergency.

And next time an election comes hammer at them over the choices they make in critical moments. That impeachment rarely came up during the election this year always baffled me. The Democrats saw it as a defeat and didn't want to speak about it. They were never going to convict Trump and should have been planning to punish the Republicans for their vote on impeachment/conviction instead. In other words, they just suck at political selling/messaging. Do we think for a second in the opposite the Republicans would have shown such restraint? We all know the answer.

Anyway, what did delay do? It gave the GOP time to go on tv on Sunday and lie some more about what happened. It gave them time to craft their rhetorical defenses. All because the Democrat leadership fails to imagine a world where they don't take blame for the failure of practical action when that is the inevitable outcome. The Republicans don't act under that sort of limitation of imagination.

Edit: Layout fixes.
Last edited by malchior on Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Grifman wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:18 pm

Sad.
Who was it that was complaining about Trumpers and Republicans being lumped together?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:44 pm I'm also left thinking there are lots and lots of people around the U.S. that absolutely support what happened (see above) and I'm having a hard time understanding how we just move beyond that.
This has been the core issue for me for some time. There is no bottom for these folks, and they make up a huge portion of the electorate. And now the House--to the point that expelling those who voted against certifying the vote, for example, is impossible because *the crazies make up so much of the body*.

The problem isn't that part of the government is run by folks who want to run the country into the ground--it's that a major part of the country wants to be run into the ground.

There's no recovering from that, at least not in the short term, and not without major pain first, measured in years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Uh....what? I can't wait until this circus act leaves town.