The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:43 pm I mean, it's not like we've been at war for the past nineteen years or anything...
And the Banana Wars (which we barely remember, nationally) involved us from 1898 to 1934.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I am looking forward to when this thread no longer has any activity!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Grifman wrote:I am looking forward to when this thread no longer has any activity!
Me too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Law and Crime
President Donald Trump shared a video late Monday that appears to attempt an awkwardly self-congratulatory montage of Trump’s accomplishments. The video didn’t just tout a prize that was never awarded, it may have violated intellectual property law when doing so.

Forty-two seconds in, the caption “Trump stands for peace” fills the screen; next, the video shows Trump, standing alongside other dignitaries, proudly displaying a document, all while the Nobel Prize graphic plays in the corner.

A casual observer might well take the images to mean that Trump won the Nobel Peace Prize. Trump did no such thing. Apart from the obvious issue there, there are a couple of potential legal problems with Trump’s video.

First, there’s the potentially unauthorized use of the Nobel Prize image.
Furthermore, it’s worth noting that the image used in Trump’s video is not the one that corresponds to the Nobel Peace Prize.

There’s also the question of the music used in video, which is the “Hoe-Down” from Aaron Copland’s ballet “Rodeo.” The piece was composed in 1946, and has not yet entered the public domain. Therefore, Trump would have needed to acquire permission both from the Copland Fund For Music and from the orchestra performing the recording in order to use it in his video.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Interesting - especially since streaming illegality content is now a felony.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:34 am Interesting - especially since streaming illegality content is now a felony.
Yeah, but if we remove section 230, we can then go after the content providers and because it's their fault and his lawyers fault and his media team's fault but not his fault, they can all take the fall for him. He'd then pardon the top level people people on his team while destroying those that raised a concern.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

George Conway
@gtconway3d

Donald Trump claims Brad Raffensperger's brother is working for China in bizarre Twitter rant—even though Georgia's secretary of state does not have a brother.
How long can it be before Agolf's goon squad starts submitting evidence proving that Raffensperger does have a brother. #Brad'sBrother.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:36 pm
George Conway
@gtconway3d

Donald Trump claims Brad Raffensperger's brother is working for China in bizarre Twitter rant—even though Georgia's secretary of state does not have a brother.
How long can it be before Agolf's goon squad starts submitting evidence proving that Raffensperger does have a brother. #Brad'sBrother.
It's come out today that he does have a brother, but the brother is a private citizen with no connection to China whatsoever.

Apparently there is someone named Raffensperger working for Huawei or something, but he is not related to the Georgia SoS. I'd lay good odds that some right-wing pundit googled "Raffensperger China" and just ran with the first hit they got.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This is now the “Kiss Trump’s Ass and Get A Medal” award. :roll:

NEW: Trump is expected to give Rep. Devin Nunes the Presidential Medal of Freedom — the nation’s highest civilian honor — on Monday, and to give the same award to Rep. Jim Jordan next week.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

A guy who abuses lawsuits against his critics and another who turned a blind eye to sexual abuse. Awesome.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I wonder how many previous recipients will publicly throw away theirs if that happens.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They damn well better give one to his cow too.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So history can remember exactly how bad these people were, that they were singled out by Donald J Trump, Human Shit, as being his most valued people. May you be remembered forever as Trump human resources that helped to bring the US into the in less than four years.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:57 pm So history can remember exactly how bad these people were, that they were singled out by Donald J Trump, Human Shit, as being his most valued people. May you be remembered forever as Trump human resources that helped to bring the US into the in less than four years.
This is the only bright side of his use of these medals for political "atta boy" moments to his bootlickers.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Remus West wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:16 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:57 pm So history can remember exactly how bad these people were, that they were singled out by Donald J Trump, Human Shit, as being his most valued people. May you be remembered forever as Trump human resources that helped to bring the US into the in less than four years.
This is the only bright side of his use of these medals for political "atta boy" moments to his bootlickers.
I agree. There has been no shortage of shit heads and cowards during the Trump administration. It's somewhat convenient for him to specifically point out for history the worst of the worst.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Holman

Post by Holman »

[head-shaking eyerolling barf emoji]
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

He took on the intelligence community and foreign spies? That's like all the spies! Wow!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I really wonder just how much of his fantasy world trump thinks is reality versus how much is just plain grift.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Holman

Post by Holman »

Remus West wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:59 pm I really wonder just how much of his fantasy world trump thinks is reality versus how much is just plain grift.
Trump is likely a case of malignant narcissism. "Reality" or "truth" for him is, at any given moment, whatever he needs to believe in order to protect his ego.

At some level he knows when he's getting the better of a competitor, and this might even register as lying, but it doesn't count to him as a moral fault because all morality is defined on the scale of TRUMP WINNING vs TRUMP BEING VICTIMIZED.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:53 pm
Remus West wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:59 pm I really wonder just how much of his fantasy world trump thinks is reality versus how much is just plain grift.
Trump is likely a case of malignant narcissism. "Reality" or "truth" for him is, at any given moment, whatever he needs to believe in order to protect his ego.
Also, what his sycophants tell him about what he sees on cable news. Those are his reality inputs.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Rats are deserting the WH bunker in record numbers. What happens when:

Agolf: "Get me a bucket of KFC!"

*crickets*
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:33 pm Rats are deserting the WH bunker in record numbers. What happens when:

*crickets*
He paints a volleyball to look like Rudy?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:50 pm
Jaymann wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:33 pm Rats are deserting the WH bunker in record numbers. What happens when:

*crickets*
He paints sharpies a volleyball to look like Rudy?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

It has not escaped my attention that the day social media companies decided there actually IS more they could do to police Trump’s destructive behavior was the same day they learned Democrats would chair all the congressional committees that oversee them.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Trump WH staffers worried about working after this week.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

malchior wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:52 pm Trump WH staffers worried about working after this week.
Fuckers ought to have a scarlet T tattooed on their face so that decent people know who to shun.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Belichick can read the room...

Bill Belichick: NFL coach turns down Presidential Medal of Freedom
Top NFL coach Bill Belichick says he will not accept President Donald Trump's offer of the Presidential Medal of Freedom, citing the US Capitol riot.

Belichick, of the New England Patriots, said he was flattered when he was first offered the medal - the top award given to civilians in the US.

But he said he changed his mind after a mob of Trump supporters stormed Congress last week. Five people died.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Here was Belichick's reaction to the Medal of Freedom:

Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Good for him. Biden should give him a medal for refusing the tainted medal.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:36 am Good for him. Biden should give him a medal for refusing the tainted medal.
Yeah, Biden should award him the Medal of Honor for turning down Trump’s Medal of Freedom.

(I know that’s not how it works...)
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think Biden should give everyone Purple Hearts for surviving the Trump administration.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

It is really weird not knowing what he's thinking at all times. It's going to take some getting used to being generally calm again.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

stessier wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:43 pm It is really weird not knowing what he's thinking at all times. It's going to take some getting used to being generally calm again.
You must have missed this from today then,
“The 25th Amendment is of zero risk to me, but will come back to haunt Joe Biden and the Biden administration. As the expression goes, be careful what you wish for.”
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Nothing like going out in a blaze of glory.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Archinerd wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:47 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:43 pm It is really weird not knowing what he's thinking at all times. It's going to take some getting used to being generally calm again.
You must have missed this from today then,
“The 25th Amendment is of zero risk to me, but will come back to haunt Joe Biden and the Biden administration. As the expression goes, be careful what you wish for.”
Given the bar he set, that's pretty mild. We're back to Uncle Joe slams - nothing that threatens to get people killed. And the first part is true - without Pence, the 25th is no risk.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I haven't heard the audio yet, but to me that sounds like a threat.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Archinerd wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:06 pm I haven't heard the audio yet, but to me that sounds like a threat.
It's just another insinuation that Biden is senile. There's no implied violence or anything in the 25th amendment.
Black Lives Matter.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I know, but "Be careful what you wish for", sounds like a threat of violence given the context of what happened last week.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Archinerd wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:15 pm I know, but "Be careful what you wish for", sounds like a threat of violence given the context of what happened last week.
Naw - people are wishing Trump would get removed via the 25th. He's saying Joe is senile and will be removed via the 25th. Thus, people wishing Trump's removal should be careful what they wish for.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

A pox on you all for making me try to parse a dumb ass phrase from Trump, but I assume he means the whole Ukraine Burisma non-thing?

Or have we come full circle and now it's the Q -Anon, pedo/baby eater stuff? I see no reference to senility there. Who knows?

I will say (and did before he was elected) that when I have seen Joe lately, he seems even more shaky and old than normal...very fragile in word and demeanor. That concerns me not a little considering what we are facing right now.

I certainly wouldn't want to place a bet on whether or not he has a stroke within the next four years, considering the weight and demands of the office. I will say this again too - I REALLY wish he could have been president within the past 25 years or so. Really should have IMO.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.