new Indiana Jones game....Bethesda

Post by Daehawk »

Bethesda
@bethesda
·
8h
Replying to
@bethesda
A new Indiana Jones game with an original story is in development from our studio, @MachineGames
, and will be executive produced by Todd Howard, in collaboration with @LucasfilmGames
. It'll be some time before we have more to reveal, but we’re very excited to share today’s news!
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Re: new Indiana Jones game....Bethesda

Post by Rumpy »

I think it's kind of sad how no new Indy games aside from the Lego games have been made since 2009. So, I'm rather excited to see they're doing something new. It's about time. At the same time, gameplay has changed quite a lot since 2009. We've had 3 +1 Uncharted games, plus 3 games in the Tomb Raider reboot series. It has a lot to contend with.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

If it's developed by any of the people who worked on the new Wolfensteins, that's probably the right move. You could argue conversely that this should be an open world game. One would rarely say we need more of those, but this is the right franchise for it. You could also go the Tomb Raider/Uncharted route though, as Rumpy suggests.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Maybe sort of Ike a Doom shooter where crystal skulled aliens come at you in waves and you have to build up your refrigerator armor to resist their radiation ray guns?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Reported.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:07 pm If it's developed by any of the people who worked on the new Wolfensteins, that's probably the right move. You could argue conversely that this should be an open world game. One would rarely say we need more of those, but this is the right franchise for it. You could also go the Tomb Raider/Uncharted route though, as Rumpy suggests.
Well, I wasn't automatically suggesting it, but it was already the style they were going for with their last games, like Infernal Machine for example, so it's kind of natural that they'd continue in that direction. I think there's room for both free-roam exploration along with more linear storytelling via waypoints. It's something Uncharted 4 and the new Tomb Raiders did well.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Implied. Considered. Mentioned in the same sentence. Whatever. :P

I think it's definitely a good fit for the combination of action, puzzle solving, and storytelling elements the series invites. But it could definitely thrive as a narrative-driven FPS too. Someone on Kokatu suggested a Breath of the Wild style open world game. I'd love to see something in the TB-tactics vein like XCOM or Silent Storm, but I doubt that would ever happen. At least not as a AAA. Who knows if they go license-happy though... it would be great to see multiple types of games over the next several years. But that may be challenging in a series that's been single-character driven for the most part. Indy without Indy in Indy's universe could still be wonderful, but it could also just be generic pulp.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Adventures of Mutt Jones. Be careful what you wish for ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Reported.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm not sure what they're going to do, but I'm not sure that a Tomb Raider style game is a smart move. It would have been a perfect fit 15 years ago, but Uncharted came along and did that already, and did it very, very well. Any attempt to bring Indy into a game like that would likely just be derided as an Uncharted knock off unless they introduced something new and really knocked it out of the park. I could see an Assassin's Creed/Far Cry style open world game with heavier puzzle elements and less focus on combat (one part Asssassin's Creed, one part Tomb Raider, one part Talos Principle.)

If they just make yet another Tomb Raider/Uncharted clone with a different skin, though...
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The important thing is that MachineGames continues to make games where we can exult in punching Nazis.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:15 am I'm not sure what they're going to do, but I'm not sure that a Tomb Raider style game is a smart move. It would have been a perfect fit 15 years ago, but Uncharted came along and did that already, and did it very, very well.
I kind of agree, but what would they do? The Tomb Raider/Uncharted style of game suits the adventuring spirit very well. And before that, it was a series of point-and-click adventure games, but they would never return to doing that as it's not a popular genre at the moment. A first-person-shooter would not be a good fit for the license. I think an Indy game works best from a 3rd-person perspective.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I don't know if it would be the best choice, but I think a FPS in the vein of Wolfenstein would be pretty awesome. The whip elements may not be as interesting, but if anyone knows pulp guns & myth fantasy, it's them.

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:56 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:15 am I'm not sure what they're going to do, but I'm not sure that a Tomb Raider style game is a smart move. It would have been a perfect fit 15 years ago, but Uncharted came along and did that already, and did it very, very well.
I kind of agree, but what would they do? The Tomb Raider/Uncharted style of game suits the adventuring spirit very well. And before that, it was a series of point-and-click adventure games, but they would never return to doing that as it's not a popular genre at the moment. A first-person-shooter would not be a good fit for the license. I think an Indy game works best from a 3rd-person perspective.
I snagged the GOG version of Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb a while back, having never played it before during its original release. And while it does have its flaws, overall I found it made for a surprisingly underrated Tomb Raider-esque experience with dynamic fist-fights, some interesting weapon types, and tense action-packed set-pieces. Given its age, the graphics weren't too shabby either. Here's a retro review that sums it up nicely:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I only own and have played Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Very good game. Ive played it 3 times but dont recall finishing it. I've made it to Atlantis all three times though. My first two plays died at that maze in Atlantis. The last go was a few years ago and I swear I got past that maze part that time but I dont remember a thing about what came after it. So maybe I didn't. Who knows.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Which is why I suggested something more like Assassin's Creed with more of a focus on exploration and puzzles rather than a linear narrative with a series of set pieces (ala Uncharted.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:11 pm
I snagged the GOG version of Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb a while back, having never played it before during its original release. And while it does have its flaws, overall I found it made for a surprisingly underrated Tomb Raider-esque experience with dynamic fist-fights, some interesting weapon types, and tense action-packed set-pieces. Given its age, the graphics weren't too shabby either. Here's a retro review that sums it up nicely:

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm talking about. It's a fairly good game for its time. If they were to do that, but modernize it, they'd be golden. And who cares if it's too close in style to Tomb Raider/Uncharted. There are many people who just care about getting a new Indy game, and the aim for this label is to hit the mainstream as much as possible.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You're all going to be disappointed when it releases and its a side scrolling platformer screen saver.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Indiana Jones and His Desktop Adventures 2.
In 1996, Computer Gaming World declared Indy's Desktop Adventures the 15th-worst computer game ever released.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yep they had that and a Yoda one as I recall.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Actually, that'd make for a pretty good mobile game.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:53 pm Actually, that'd make for a pretty good mobile game.
Oh, right - I'm sure the addition of microtransactions will totally make it better. :)