The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Holman »

Archinerd wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:06 pm I haven't heard the audio yet, but to me that sounds like a threat.
Earlier he said this:
"As far as this is concerned, we want no violence -- never violence," Trump said outside the White House before departing for Texas, facing reporters for the first time since his supporters rioted last Wednesday after he urged them to march on the Capitol. "On the impeachment, it’s really a continuation of the greatest witch hunt in the history of politics. It’s ridiculous. It’s absolutely ridiculous. This impeachment is causing tremendous anger, and you’re doing it, and it’s really a terrible thing that they’re doing."
Boiled down, it says Democrats should stop impeachment because it causes anger, which means Democrats are causing the violence.

In other words, "Look what you made us do to you."

That's abuser logic, and it's a threat of further violence.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Never violence...

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/10/us/p ... inton.html
“If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks,” Mr. Trump said, as the crowd began to boo. He quickly added: “Although the Second Amendment people — maybe there is, I don’t know.”
https://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/20 ... r-beatings
"If you see somebody getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of them," Trump said after warning of possible rabble-rousers. "I'll pay the legal fees," he added. This came before Trump told the crowd that "You're going to say please please Mr. President, we're winning too much" and reminding the crowd that Vladimir Putin had called him a "genius."
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

McConnell wants impeachment?!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/12/us/m ... hment.html

McCarthy doesn't impeachment but is willing to censure Trump. Who knows if that will change? The political world is moving very fast there.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

Grifman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:53 pm McConnell wants impeachment?!

McCarthy doesn't impeachment but is willing to censure Trump. Who knows if that will change? The political world is moving very fast there.
This doesn't surprise me all too much. Pre-January 5th McConnell was happy to see Trump go and return to his regularly scheduled Senate obstructionism. Then Trump lost him the Senate. Then Trump tried to overthrow the nation. Trump is killing the GOP brand and McConnell is against it. It is still party over country - just in a different form.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In case you're wondering what the Trump administration's priorities are, even now:

With little more than a week left the Trump admin. has finalized a rule permitting social-service providers that receive government funds to discriminate based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
Article here.
According to Kruse, Tuesday’s final rule could also allow a homeless shelter to turn away a queer teen and a senior center to refuse to drive an elderly gay man to his doctor’s appointment. She’s confident it will be overturned by the incoming Biden administration, calling it a “nasty parting shot that won’t stand.” But she admits “it does clog up the works; it does delay protections.”
Remember - cruelty is the point.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Grifman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:53 pm McConnell wants impeachment?!

I'll believe it when I see it.

I fully expect that McConnell will deny this by tomorrow morning.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

malchior wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:16 pmIt is still party over country - just in a different form.
You think impeaching Trump is bad for the country?

It seems to me that this is just McConnell's interests actually lining up with those of the country for a bit.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
malchior

Post by malchior »

Little Raven wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:00 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:16 pmIt is still party over country - just in a different form.
Wut?
It seems to me that this is just McConnell's interests actually lining up with those of the country for a bit.
His interest -- saving the GOP -- is lining up with the right thing to do. It has little to do with the good of the country. He only cares about his own power.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:04 pm
Wut?
His interest -- saving the GOP -- is lining up with the right thing to do. It has little to do with the good of the country. He only cares about his own power.
I don’t think you guys are disagreeing here.

Also, I’m not letting The Turtle lull me into a false sense of security. I’ll believe it when I see his vote.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:56 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:04 pm
Wut?
I don’t think you guys are disagreeing here.
Yup aside from a little big of implication that McConnell is doing a little of the right thing which I refuse to give him any credit for. :)
Kurth wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:56 pmAlso, I’m not letting The Turtle lull me into a false sense of security. I’ll believe it when I see his vote.
Exactly though I think he will vote for it even if only for petty revenge.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Kurth wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:56 pm Also, I’m not letting The Turtle lull me into a false sense of security. I’ll believe it when I see his vote.
I'd be surprised if he went through with it. There's already plenty of talk out there among MAGAts about forming a third party - if Mitch and other Republican senators vote to impeach it just furthers the schism between traditional -Rs and the MAGAts.

Not that I would mind the Republican party splitting their vote. :pop:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Exodor wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:18 pm
Kurth wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:56 pm Also, I’m not letting The Turtle lull me into a false sense of security. I’ll believe it when I see his vote.
I'd be surprised if he went through with it. There's already plenty of talk out there among MAGAts about forming a third party - if Mitch and other Republican senators vote to impeach it just furthers the schism between traditional -Rs and the MAGAts.

Not that I would mind the Republican party splitting their vote. :pop:
I think McC and the remnant Establishment Republicans would love to be rid of trump once and for all. This is the only opening they're going to get.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

They will find out Trump is radioactive with a nasty half-life. McConnell wants to use Trump to choke a Biden administration, but Trump is vindictive enough to turn the mob against his alleged allies.

Pence should know. The insurrection has already cried for his blood in Congress.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Holman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:21 pm
Archinerd wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:06 pm I haven't heard the audio yet, but to me that sounds like a threat.
Earlier he said this:
"As far as this is concerned, we want no violence -- never violence," Trump said outside the White House before departing for Texas, facing reporters for the first time since his supporters rioted last Wednesday after he urged them to march on the Capitol. "On the impeachment, it’s really a continuation of the greatest witch hunt in the history of politics. It’s ridiculous. It’s absolutely ridiculous. This impeachment is causing tremendous anger, and you’re doing it, and it’s really a terrible thing that they’re doing."
Boiled down, it says Democrats should stop impeachment because it causes anger, which means Democrats are causing the violence.

In other words, "Look what you made us do to you."

That's abuser logic, and it's a threat of further violence.
Yep, that's the way I read it.
The rest of you could be right, but I'm not giving trump the benefit of the doubt.
Toe

Post by Toe »

I am betting the republicans already have it planned out which republicans are gonna vote to convict and which are not in a potential impeachment trial so that, in the end, trump narrowly avoids getting convicted. That or mitch just plans on delaying the trial long enough to make it to the 20th without bringing it to a vote. They can pat themselves on the back and keep up the "lets get to the healing" mantra.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

I think they're going to impeach him. Yes, yes, it will cause the GOP short term pain. The MAGA crowd will declare them traitors, and for a couple of election cycles, they'll be dealing with a split base.

But the alternative is much, MUCH worse. If they don't do this, they face an existential threat. The money is leaving. Donors are making it very clear that they will not be lumped in with the party of Trump, so if the GOP wants to continue to pull in money, they had better STOP being the party of Trump. Tech companies now have all the cover in the world to shut down their messaging. And more than that, a whole host of agencies with 3 letter acronyms are signaling that MAGA is about to join ISIS on a lot of government watchlists, and anyone associated with them had better be prepared to weather that storm. Leviathan don't fuck around.

I have no doubt that McConnell desperately wished to avoid this, but Trump forced his hand. If the GOP is to survive, they must jettison him, and hard.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

One of big GOP money guys keeled over today in his late 80s.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Tine

Post by Tine »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:19 pm In case you're wondering what the Trump administration's priorities are, even now:

With little more than a week left the Trump admin. has finalized a rule permitting social-service providers that receive government funds to discriminate based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
Just sickening... my heart feels so heavy. :cry:
Be kind. Be calm. Be safe. - Dr. Bonnie Henry 🇨🇦
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Tine wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:14 am
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:19 pm In case you're wondering what the Trump administration's priorities are, even now:

Just sickening... my heart feels so heavy. :cry:
JFC, you just have to rely on Biden's team that they are tracking all this garbage, and will undo it all in the first week.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'll admit to enjoying the fact that we get to watch the Trump business empire crumble in real time due to his actions as POTUS. Nothing could be sweeter.

@NYCMayor delivers breaking news on @Morning_Joe: New York City will terminate contracts with the Trump Organization following the deadly insurrection at the U.S. Capitol
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I’m ignorant of what type of contracts NYC would have with the Trump Organization...
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:01 am I’m ignorant of what type of contracts NYC would have with the Trump Organization...
TL;DR: It's managing entertainment - ice rinks and golf courses - and worth about $17m per year for Trump.
Last edited by Paingod on Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:01 am I’m ignorant of what type of contracts NYC would have with the Trump Organization...

CNBC wrote:Those four contracts, mostly for ice rinks and golf courses, are worth about $17 million a year to the president's business
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The Trump Presidency, in remarkably stupid pictures.

Since Trump’s almost out of office, I figured this would be a fun time to remind everyone of the weirdest & dumbest sh*t our failed dictator did in the last four years that we totally forgot about.

Starting with a classic:

STARING DIRECTLY INTO THE SUN DURING A SOLAR ECLIPSE
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Little Raven wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:55 pm I think they're going to impeach him. Yes, yes, it will cause the GOP short term pain. The MAGA crowd will declare them traitors, and for a couple of election cycles, they'll be dealing with a split base.

But the alternative is much, MUCH worse. If they don't do this, they face an existential threat. The money is leaving. Donors are making it very clear that they will not be lumped in with the party of Trump, so if the GOP wants to continue to pull in money, they had better STOP being the party of Trump. Tech companies now have all the cover in the world to shut down their messaging. And more than that, a whole host of agencies with 3 letter acronyms are signaling that MAGA is about to join ISIS on a lot of government watchlists, and anyone associated with them had better be prepared to weather that storm. Leviathan don't fuck around.

I have no doubt that McConnell desperately wished to avoid this, but Trump forced his hand. If the GOP is to survive, they must jettison him, and hard.
They don't have any good choices. If Trump is not impeached, he'll pretend to run for president for 3 years, sucking up money and attention. If he is impeached, I'll bet dollars to donuts that Don, Jr. runs for president, seeking to restore his father's "legacy".
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Little Raven wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:55 pm The money is leaving. Donors are making it very clear that they will not be lumped in with the party of Trump, so if the GOP wants to continue to pull in money, they had better STOP being the party of Trump.
The money is leaving right now.

Many of these donors are fleeing because it's not expedient to their business to be seen supporting Trump right at this moment. If/when the current heat is ever turned down, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they changed that stance.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

All we have to do is whisper "Remember that time this guy you're giving money to supported an insurrection?" ... will they stay away from GOP members like they're radioactive for as long as someone's willing to speak up - or is it likely just for the next 2 or 3 months?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Grifman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:19 am If he is impeached, I'll bet dollars to donuts that Don, Jr. runs for president, seeking to restore his father's "legacy".
It will be Ivanka. Then, if you don't vote for her, you are a mysogynist.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Archinerd wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:53 am
Grifman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:19 am If he is impeached, I'll bet dollars to donuts that Don, Jr. runs for president, seeking to restore his father's "legacy".
She will of course have trouble winning -their- misogynist element
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm not naive enough to think the Republican party as an institution is poison from here on out, but I do think Trumpism itself may be long-term radioactive. The downsides are just too great compared to the upside. Sure Trump commands a loyal base, but how much does that really help when his name's not on the ballot? And even that loyalty is questionable when all it ultimately led to was the loss of Congress and the Presidency.

The poetic justice in all this (should the GOP completely turn on Trump, impeach him, and go their separate ways) is that Trump will have been used in much the same way he's used others all his life. Ridden to the bitter end, then tossed away like yesterday's garbage.
Last edited by YellowKing on Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Decent chance that both Don Jr and Ivanka will have been indicted for financial crimes before then. Those investigations aren't just about Daddy.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:13 am Decent chance that both Don Jr and Ivanka will have been indicted for financial crimes before then. Those investigations aren't just about Daddy.
I also think the Trump kids wildly overestimate their appeal when compared to Trump himself.

Call me crazy, but I don’t really see the MAGA mob being willing to burn down the world for either Half Scoop or Nepotism Barbie.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:26 am
Holman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:13 am Decent chance that both Don Jr and Ivanka will have been indicted for financial crimes before then. Those investigations aren't just about Daddy.
I also think the Trump kids wildly overestimate their appeal when compared to Trump himself.

Call me crazy, but I don’t really see the MAGA mob being willing to burn down the world for either Half Scoop or Nepotism Barbie.
They're symbolic now. They are stand-ins for Trump's bullshit rhetoric and tacit approval of the faithful's own prejudices.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:10 am
Archinerd wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:53 am
She will of course have trouble winning -their- misogynist element
The antisemitic element of the Trump base might also be conflicted.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

Bottomless corruption. He made a national security decision with a week to go over impeachment. What an utter disgrace.

Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:34 pm Bottomless corruption. He made a national security decision with a week to go over impeachment. What an utter disgrace.

Were there Alabama sens/reps not on his side before now?

There's precisely one Democrat in Alabama's entire congressional delegation, and she's a liberal African-American from Birmingham. Everyone else is Deep Red.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:41 pmWere there Alabama sens/reps not on his side before now?

There's precisely one Democrat in Alabama's entire congressional delegation, and she's a liberal African-American from Birmingham. Everyone else is Deep Red.
Don't bring logic into a Trump decision. :)

For all we know, the Alabama Caucus extorted it from Trump or just stroked his ego to trick him into it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Even more Trump family members are reportedly moving to Florida
Donald Trump Jr. and girlfriend Kimberly Guilfoyle are house hunting in Jupiter, Florida, The New York Post's Jennifer Gould reported on Thursday.
The same day, the Post's Page Six reported that Tiffany Trump is searching for a property of her own in Miami.
They're just the latest members of the Trump family to signal a move south. In December, Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner dropped $32 million on an empty lot on a Miami's private island called Indian Creek and nicknamed the "Billionaire Bunker."
President Donald Trump himself is expected to decamp to his quarters at his exclusive Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach following the end of his term.
Something about rats and a sinking ship.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:52 pm
And, well, rising ocean levels.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:52 pm Even more Trump family members are reportedly moving to Florida
Donald Trump Jr. and girlfriend Kimberly Guilfoyle are house hunting in Jupiter, Florida, The New York Post's Jennifer Gould reported on Thursday.
The same day, the Post's Page Six reported that Tiffany Trump is searching for a property of her own in Miami.
They're just the latest members of the Trump family to signal a move south. In December, Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner dropped $32 million on an empty lot on a Miami's private island called Indian Creek and nicknamed the "Billionaire Bunker."
President Donald Trump himself is expected to decamp to his quarters at his exclusive Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach following the end of his term.
Maybe they can join up with a Freak Show.