2020 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: 2020 NCAA Football Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

He already has a gig.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Bama is favored by 7.5 vs Ohio State on January 11. I have a feeling it will either be a blow out by Bama, or a squeaker win by OSU.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Carolina is in its first major bowl in over 70 years. Unfortunately, our top two RBs and top WR (all who had over 1000 yards) and top defender are sitting out. So we’ll be playing a lot of freshmen against Texas A&M today. It might get ugly.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sark in at Texas, ESPN just confirmed.

Just hoping he can manage it.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:Sark in at Texas, ESPN just confirmed.

Really surprised they didn't get Urban. I figured he'd only come back for USC or Texas.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:21 am
Skinypupy wrote:Sark in at Texas, ESPN just confirmed.

Really surprised they didn't get Urban. I figured he'd only come back for USC or Texas.
I saw today that Meyer is rumored for the NFL's Jacksonville job. He would probably start with Clemson's QB as a #1 draft choice.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Harbaugh and Michigan have apparently agreed on a 5 year extension. No official details, but rumors were that it would for $4M/year with incentives that could reach $8M. That's a huge cut (50%) in base salary if true. It also has a low buy out, which makes it easy for either one to get out of it.

I'm surprised, as I figured this was the end of the road.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

35-17 with 2 minutes to go in the first half.

A stellar defensive showing tonight. :lol:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Did Alabama think they had to score for the five OSU opponents that didn't get played?
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Well, that turned out to be a more stress free game than I was expecting. Roll Tide!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Coach Saban with his 7th national title. More than any other coach on college football history. He pulls even with Paul Bryant for most at Alabama with 6.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote:Coach Saban with his 7th national title. More than any other coach on college football history. He pulls even with Paul Bryant for most at Alabama with 6.
Congrats! I only watched a few minutes, but just wasn't in the mood. A measure of how crazy things are that I can't even take enjoyment in college football. I hope you are doing well, and that this brought you some joy this year!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:54 am
msduncan wrote:Coach Saban with his 7th national title. More than any other coach on college football history. He pulls even with Paul Bryant for most at Alabama with 6.
Congrats! I only watched a few minutes, but just wasn't in the mood. A measure of how crazy things are that I can't even take enjoyment in college football. I hope you are doing well, and that this brought you some joy this year!
Much needed normalcy. College football was a welcome escape this year even with the weird empty stadiums.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's no secret that I don't like Saban and I was ready to write off this win as an asterisk year. Teams were playing at 80%, 70%, even less. Schedules were completely blown up and even more unbalanced than usual. I am not recording this season in my memory.

But the more I think about it honestly, this year shows that while Saban can win with all the advantages of a #1 program that bends the rules in a bend the rules conference. But this year has shown that he can also win when things are far less than perfect. It would have been easy, and forgivable, for Alabama to let up, to get distracted for one game or one half, and have a built in excuse. "It was 2020!" But they didn't. Saban managed to guide them through where most others failed. When everything is fucked up, that's when leadership is most important. So while I still dislike him, I'll give him this one for sure. Well done.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Most-Watched BCS/CFP/NC Cable TV Games

2015—Oregon-Ohio St, ESPN, 33.4M
2018—Alabama-Georgia, ESPN, 28.4M
2015—Alabama-Ohio St, ESPN, 28.3M
2015—Oregon-FSU, ESPN, 28.2M
2011—Oregon-Auburn, ESPN, 27.3M
2018—Georgia-Oklahoma, ESPN, 26.8M
*2021—Alabama-Ohio St, ESPN, 18.7M
Granted, it's a weird year, but that's...not good. :?

I'd be interested to see the rest of the list to see how far down this year actually was.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

It's being compared to the top 5 games of all time, so hard to know how different this year is from a normal year. Would be more helpful to see what the ratings were the last two years.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

In getting what they've been asking for (playoffs), college football fans kind of laid bare one of the big issues with the sport these days - competitive imbalance. Now, this is nothing new. Occasionally the teams at the top change out, but I think that having them spread out at the end of the year during bowl time allowed people to pretend that things weren't as bad as they were. In the seven years of the playoff, four teams have taken 20 of the 28 playoff spots (Alabama, Clemson, OSU, and OU). While that's great for the fans of those teams, it's not as good for the sport as a whole. I'd be all in if lightening struck and Michigan made the playoffs, but sadly I live in the real world. As it is, I seem to be less and less interested in the playoffs each year.

I don't know that there's an easy solution, either. Competitive imbalance is kind of baked into the system. If I were a top level athlete, I'd probably want to go to one of the big winning teams that puts people into the NFL, too. Pro sports leagues at least have some kind of way to try to stop the rich from getting richer with things like salary caps or luxury taxes, drafts, etc. That's just not applicable to the NCAA. The best they could do is probably reduce scholarships somewhat, but the 5-stars are still going to flock to Bama, Clemson, and OSU. I've seen some arguments that allowing players to profit off of their names and likenesses will help, because someone might choose to go to a less winning school in the hope of being the big fish instead of just another face in the crowd, but I'm skeptical.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just make it so they can't recruit every third year.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:35 am It's being compared to the top 5 games of all time, so hard to know how different this year is from a normal year. Would be more helpful to see what the ratings were the last two years.
The previous low CFP championship game total was 25.28M for 2019's Clemson blowout of Alabama.

Last year was 25.46M, so it's a 7M drop from 2020's Clemson/LSU game.

Also, the ratings for the final this year were DOWN from the ratings of the semifinals on New Year's Day.
Hodor.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Yay!
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Hey skinny - z Larry Scott out as Pac-12 commish?

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holy crap, what an amazing day today has been!!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Confirmed

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

and Alabama's AD Greg Byrne is one of the top candidates to replace him. Hate to lose Byrne, but couldn't blame him for the nice raise.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lassr wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:13 pm and Alabama's AD Greg Byrne is one of the top candidates to replace him. Hate to lose Byrne, but couldn't blame him for the nice raise.
A big time football AD with pac-12 ties is always a good name! I still believe that the Asia/China market needs to be part of the plan, even if Larry Scott blew the best viral opportunity there by not making Katelyn Ohashi and Miss Val's UCLA Bruins Gymnastics squad a marketing centerpiece for the Pac-12 Olympic sports (Asia not much into football...). Was debating this on twitter, and was thinking her viral video had 1-2 million hits. Checked UCLA/USC football and brief look had the top video with about 1.3 million hits.

Katelyn Ohashi's 10.0 floor routine from 2019 is up over 140 million hits. Yeah, over100x more views than the most viewed UCLA/USC football content I could find in a quick search. What a colossal marketing failure, in what was supposed to be a selling point.

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:47 pm (Asia not much into football...).
2020 Koshien Bowl (Japan College Football National Championship)

I didn't realize they had college football in Japan, apparently a LOT of college teams.

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lassr wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:31 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:47 pm (Asia not much into football...).
2020 Koshien Bowl (Japan College Football National Championship)

I didn't realize they had college football in Japan, apparently a LOT of college teams.
Cool. Did you see the ASU Chinese-American player this year? First ever to score a D-1 TD!

TOM GOLDMAN, BYLINE: Last Friday night, Arizona State was cruising to a lopsided win over rival Arizona. In the fourth quarter, the Sun Devils were a yard away from scoring again. Little U's junior running back, Jackson He, born in China, took the handoff. One defender stood between him and the end zone.

JACKSON HE: In the end, when I saw that person right there, I was like, man, I got to man up. It's one yard. I got to beat him.

GOLDMAN: At 5'9'', 220 pounds, Jackson He beat him.
Pretty cool.

Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Josh Heupel new Tennessee coach
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Penn State steps.in it:

Replies:

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Xmann wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:21 pm Tons of rumors flying this morning about recruiting violations at Tennessee. Three coaches and two players not allowed to play and coach yesterday sounds like this is legit.

Jeremy Pruitt is a tone deaf idiot that I hope goes down with this. I don't recognize my beloved Tennessee Volunteers any longer. Total embarrassment.

Good thing we have a basketball team that is a favorite to win the SEC and will be stacked even better next year.
Tennessee must vacate all wins from 2019-20 seasons for recruiting violations
On Friday, the NCAA fined the Volunteers $8 million and released a report outlining more than 200 infractions during Pruitt's stint. The report states the school committed 18 Level I violations, most of which involved recruiting infringements and direct payments to athletes and their families.

The Volunteers escaped a postseason punishment but were placed on a five-year probation. According to Low, that includes the reduction of 28 scholarships.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Vacating wins, such a terrible punishment. But they can play in bowl games to help pay off the $8m fine.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The people who *committed the crimes are long gone. Unless you cite lack of institutional control, what benefit does punishing the new coaches and players do?
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Penn State steps.in it:

Replies:

Penn St deleted that tweet, any idea what it was?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scuzz wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:40 pm Vacating wins, such a terrible punishment no actual punishment whatsoever.
FTFY.

It’s the NCAA’s way of saying “see, we did something about it!” without having to actually do anything about it at all.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:26 pm The people who commuted the crimes are long gone. Unless you cite lack of institutional control, what benefit does punishing the new coaches and players do?
So you just let them pay the fine, vacate games that mean nothing now and go on as if nothing happened? The school gets to play a bowl game that can help pay the fine.

In the current atmosphere of the transfer portal players can move on to other programs and continue playing.

If rich schools can simply pay for their violations and lack of oversight then what is to stop 50% of the major schools from doing whatever they want to do?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What makes you think they're not getting away with whatever they want to do now?
The Volunteers escaped a postseason punishment but were placed on a five-year probation. According to Low, that includes the reduction of 28 scholarships.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CBS Sports
Former coach Jeremy Pruitt was hit with a six-year show cause order
Additionally, there will be a legislated fine of $5,000, 3% of the football budget and an additional fine to recoup money earned while the program was ineligible during the 2020 Gator Bowl.

The fines given out were notably larger than those historically given out by the NCAA. However, the NCAA addressed the heightened fines as an offsetting move to avoid giving out bowl bans that will affect players and staff on campus who had no involvement with the violations.
Tennessee will lose 28 scholarships over five years, with at least two lost each season. The program reduced scholarships by 16 over the first two seasons due to self-imposed sanctions, meaning current coach Josh Heupel and his staff must only sit 12 total scholarships short over the next three seasons.
The director of recruiting and assistant director of recruiting at the time were hit with five-year and 10-year show-causes, respectively. A former assistant coach also has a two-year show cause.
If Pruitt is hired during the six-year show-cause window, he will be suspended for his entire first season at a new job.
Tennessee will lose 36 official visits over the course of probation, and at least four per season. The Vols will have to select 10 regular season games during which they cannot host official visits, including four SEC games. Unofficial visits will be reduced for 40 weeks over the next five years, and the staff will lose 28 total weeks of recruiting communication and in-person evaluation. Tennessee previously self-imposed several penalties to offset this.

The NCAA cited "exemplary cooperation" as to why the university was not hit with further penalties after the shocking number of violations. Additionally, the NCAA panel recognized Tennessee's self-imposed punishments that will be credited towards their final tally.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:05 pm What makes you think they're not getting away with whatever they want to do now?
My point is that the NCAA letting them play in a bowl is letting them get away with it. Violate the rules and keep earning that bowl money.
Black Lives Matter