The Trump Impeachment Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: The Trump Impeachment Thread

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh boy.

NYT: McConnell has made clear in private discussions that he believes now is the moment to move on the weakened lame duck, whom he blames for Republicans losing the Senate.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What will be interesting is if Agolf will rush to pardon himself (IIUC you can't be pardoned for impeachable offenses) before he can be removed from office, or rely on Pence, the man his minions tried to assassinate, to pardon him after he is removed from office.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:28 pm What will be interesting is if Agolf will rush to pardon himself (IIUC you can't be pardoned for impeachable offenses) before he can be removed from office, or rely on Pence, the man his minions tried to assassinate, to pardon him after he is removed from office.
I honestly believe his delusions preclude him from making rational decisions like that.

I'm certain he's currently fuming that the election was stolen from him and his tech accounts shut down. The world is against him and it's unfair. Little else matters. He's done nothing wrong in his mind.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Paingod wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:53 am
Jaymann wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:28 pm What will be interesting is if Agolf will rush to pardon himself (IIUC you can't be pardoned for impeachable offenses) before he can be removed from office, or rely on Pence, the man his minions tried to assassinate, to pardon him after he is removed from office.
I honestly believe his delusions preclude him from making rational decisions like that.

I'm certain he's currently fuming that the election was stolen from him and his tech accounts shut down. The world is against him and it's unfair. Little else matters. He's done nothing wrong in his mind.
I'm sure that he will pardon himself. The timing is tricky for him now, though - one worry is that self-pardon outrage makes it more likely for Senators to vote to convict him. But I think that's outweighed by the risk of leaving office without a pardon.

He should be negotiating with Pence over a resignation and pardon, though who knows whether Pence is willing to do that especially after, you know, Trump whipped up an insurrectionary mob to murder him.

Trump really fucked himself pretty badly with this insurrection.
Black Lives Matter.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

To be fair, from a normal person's perspective he fucks himself pretty badly with just about everything he does and somehow keeps sliding through.
Black Lives Matter

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Catching bits and pieces of the hearings this morning. The general gist seems to be the most Republicans aren't even bothering to defend Trump's actions, they're simply complaining about the "rushed" process or giving dire warnings that their supporters will get even more violent.

Unsurprising, really.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:17 am
Paingod wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:53 am

I'm sure that he will pardon himself. The timing is tricky for him now, though - one worry is that self-pardon outrage makes it more likely for Senators to vote to convict him. But I think that's outweighed by the risk of leaving office without a pardon.
He should pardon himself immediately and just not announce it until Jan 20th.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:38 am Catching bits and pieces of the hearings this morning. The general gist seems to be the most Republicans aren't even bothering to defend Trump's actions, they're simply complaining about the "rushed" process or giving dire warnings that their supporters will get even more violent.

Unsurprising, really.
Yes. The Republican defense. How can you move too fast to protect yourself and the American people?
This question is posed by scared people . Most Republicans are still afraid of Potus.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Some Dem representatives have described GOP colleagues confessing fear for their safety if they vote to impeach.

So they're going to vote for the guy stoking that threat.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:20 pm Some Dem representatives have described GOP colleagues confessing fear for their safety if they vote to impeach.

So they're going to vote for the guy stoking that threat.
Then they're cowards. They won't stand up to vague threats in order to preserve the Constitution and rule of law? They send kids off to war for less.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I believe the debate thus far has been about setting up the rules and such, not the actual impeachment debate. I'd like to hope that explains some of the Rs points and otherwise lack of defense at this point.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Daveman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:39 pm I believe the debate thus far has been about setting up the rules and such, not the actual impeachment debate. I'd like to hope that explains some of the Rs points and otherwise lack of defense at this point.
Ah, that would make more sense then. I've only been catching soundbites between meetings, so I didn't have any broader context.

Will be interesting to see if that changes at all as the process progresses.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:35 pmThen they're cowards. They won't stand up to vague threats in order to preserve the Constitution and rule of law? They send kids off to war for less.
No one (to my recollection) has ever accused most of them of being good or brave. I wager very few (both sides) ever even served in the armed forces. I could be wrong. It'd be an interesting factoid to dig up.

They're not worried about Trump at this point. They're worried about disembarking from a plane and having some screaming death cultist make an example of them with a shiv. They've known they couldn't let go of this particular tiger since they latched onto it 4 years ago - but I don't think they realized it would physically threaten them past the duration of the presidency.
Black Lives Matter

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

This weird trick will save Democracy. Republicans hate this!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Military Times
The number of military veterans in Congress will drop again next session, reaching the lowest levels of members with some military experience since at least World War II.

For now, 91 veterans are set to be sworn in as members of the 117th Congress in January, a decrease of five from the start of the 116th Congress in 2019. Of the group, 74 will serve in the House, and 17 in the Senate.

More than two-thirds of the veterans set to serve are Republicans. There are 16 newcomers: two senators (Arizona Democrat Mark Kelly and Kansas Republican Roger Marshall) and 14 House members (12 of whom are Republicans).
Since the start of the 93rd Congress in 1973, when 390 lawmakers (about 73 percent of Congress) had some type of military experience on their resumes, the number of veterans in Congress has declined steadily.

In 1993, 236 lawmakers were veterans, according to Congressional Research Service records. By 2001, that number was down to 168. In 2011, it was only 118.

The 91 veterans in Congress is set to be the lowest number since at least the end of World War II. Congressional records on veterans serving in elected office before then are incomplete.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Paingod wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:22 am To be fair, from a normal person's perspective he fucks himself pretty badly with just about everything he does and somehow keeps sliding through.
$omehow

:wink:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Paingod wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:41 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:35 pmThen they're cowards. They won't stand up to vague threats in order to preserve the Constitution and rule of law? They send kids off to war for less.
No one (to my recollection) has ever accused most of them of being good or brave. I wager very few (both sides) ever even served in the armed forces. I could be wrong. It'd be an interesting factoid to dig up.

They're not worried about Trump at this point. They're worried about disembarking from a plane and having some screaming death cultist make an example of them with a shiv. They've known they couldn't let go of this particular tiger since they latched onto it 4 years ago - but I don't think they realized it would physically threaten them past the duration of the presidency.
Then that also reaping the fruits of their own stupidity. "Who knew that his gun I got to shoot other people could also shoot me?"

They certainly talked up the threat of the Antifa bogeymen to their personal safety.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:40 pm
Daveman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:39 pm I believe the debate thus far has been about setting up the rules and such, not the actual impeachment debate. I'd like to hope that explains some of the Rs points and otherwise lack of defense at this point.
Ah, that would make more sense then. I've only been catching soundbites between meetings, so I didn't have any broader context.

Will be interesting to see if that changes at all as the process progresses.
The plan is to vote today on impeachment, isn't it? Or is the actual impeachment vote going to be another day?
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

They are supposed to vote today. Last I saw was 3 but who knows if that's even remotely accurate.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Assuming he gets impeached today, and assuming McConnell really does mean it when he says he supports it, what's the earliest the senate could end up convicting him?
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:04 pm

Then that also reaping the fruits of their own stupidity. "Who knew that his gun I got to shoot other people could also shoot me?"

They certainly talked up the threat of the Antifa bogeymen to their personal safety.
Not a profile in courage, that’s for sure, but I get the fear and think it’s probably well-founded at this point. The Trumpaloo mob appears to be even angrier at what they perceive to be RINOs than at Democrats. And, unlike AOC who boards a plane or hops on the Acela to return to adoring supporters in New York, many of these Republicans face returning to districts where their constituents literally want to kill them for their perceived betrayal of Trump.

Think about the video of Graham being harassed in the airport the other day or of Correra being screamed at and threatened by Trumpists at Dulles.

Most congressional districts aren’t that big. When these people go home, they will be living next door to people who are vocally and publicly threatening them.

I get the fear.

(And, please, no responses about whether they deserve it or not or should have seen it coming. Not the point.)
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:19 pm Assuming he gets impeached today, and assuming McConnell really does mean it when he says he supports it, what's the earliest the senate could end up convicting him?
McConnell has said that barring unanimous consent to alter the Senate schedule they couldn't start before the 20th. OTOH I saw an article the other day saying that Schumer is looking at some Senate authority that would allow them to start earlier with the consent of both major party leaders (Schumer + McConnell), though I don't know if McConnell would be on board with that.
Black Lives Matter.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:19 pm Assuming he gets impeached today, and assuming McConnell really does mean it when he says he supports it, what's the earliest the senate could end up convicting him?
That's a huge question. I've heard the House may hold back on sending it over to the Senate (who can't delay deliberation once it's in their hands) until after Biden/Harris gets settled in and makes some progress. IMO, that means it may not even be sent to the Senate for a few months.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

The Meal wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:24 pm
That's a huge question. I've heard the House may hold back on sending it over to the Senate (who can't delay deliberation once it's in their hands) until after Biden/Harris gets settled in and makes some progress. IMO, that means it may not even be sent to the Senate for a few months.
I hate this plan. Feelings dull and memories fade. The horrible gets normalized. You can’t wait months on something like this. Unless you’re just in it for the quick, symbolic House vote on impeachment and don’t really care whether the Senate actually convicts, this plan is a disaster.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The Meal wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:24 pm
This was a suggestion from Clyburn, who wanted to hold sending it to the senate until after Biden's first 100 days. I believe that idea has been rejected and they plan to send it over right away.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

So, Jim Jordan's still a piece of work, eh? (Speaking nonsense now on the House floor during the debate.)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The cult looks to cancel Liz Cheney.

Just got my hands on this petition which is calling for a special conference to oust the no 3 Republican for supporting impeachment.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I have to wonder if McConnell is suggesting he wants to impeach in the hopes that it will get Trump to just resign. Having Trump resign would be a lot easier on the Republican party (rather than have a vote that divides Republicans in congress and will hang over their heads in the years ahead).
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kurth wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:23 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:04 pm

Not a profile in courage, that’s for sure, but I get the fear and think it’s probably well-founded at this point. The Trumpaloo mob appears to be even angrier at what they perceive to be RINOs than at Democrats. And, unlike AOC who boards a plane or hops on the Acela to return to adoring supporters in New York, many of these Republicans face returning to districts where their constituents literally want to kill them for their perceived betrayal of Trump.

Think about the video of Graham being harassed in the airport the other day or of Correra being screamed at and threatened by Trumpists at Dulles.

Most congressional districts aren’t that big. When these people go home, they will be living next door to people who are vocally and publicly threatening them.

I get the fear.

(And, please, no responses about whether they deserve it or not or should have seen it coming. Not the point.)
What is the point, that they have a legitimate fear? Sure. Never disagreed with that.

The fact that their reaction to the fear is to buckle and vote against impeachment solely on the basis of that fear (or using fear as an excuse), that's pretty damned relevant.

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

BTW, I was watching part of when Pelosi was speaking (on an ABC livestream on youtube), and there was a split screen where they showed a closeup of what looked like people trying to storm a building (the capitol, I assume) - it wasn't clear if that was live or a repeat of 1/6. I assumed it was a repeat, but I wish they made that clear (I didn't see anything that said it was live or anything that specified that it was from last week, but I only caught a brief part of it before they switched away).
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:44 pmWhat is the point, that they have a legitimate fear? Sure. Never disagreed with that.

The fact that their reaction to the fear is to buckle and vote against impeachment solely on the basis of that fear (or using fear as an excuse), that's pretty damned relevant.
Exactly. As Colbert put it earlier this week:

"The GOP: We don't negotiate with terrorists!

...we just give them whatever they want."
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

McConnell wants to delay to (1) avoid personal responsibility managing the impeachment, (2) delay Biden’s cabinet appointments, and (3) postpone Democratic legislation. He’s a nasty, nefarious bastard with no conscience.

If McConnell can fracture the Senate to punish Democrats, he’ll do it despite the risk.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Enough

Post by Enough »

Rep. Van Drew gets dressed with Roger Stone...
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I’m almost amused by all the Republicans calling for “unity”, “healing” and resurrecting the ghost of Lincoln by invoking our “better angels”. They seem to forget that Lincoln also wanted the unconditional defeat of the Confederacy before reaching out for unity and healing.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm trying to watch the debate but every time a Republican gets up and pleads for unity after spending the last four years "pwning libs" makes me want to hit my television.

These pieces of crap do this every time. Whenever they have the power, anything goes. The minute the tides turn, they're victimized snowflakes who don't understand why we can't all just get along. Fuck these delusional hypocrites.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Rep. Boebert really sets my teeth on edge. It almost was a blessing that she talked so fast during her rant which seemed to make the time go faster.

And another Republican calls for the “better angels”. :roll:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

The next Democrat should put on a "Fuck your Feelings, Trump 2020" hat before taking the podium.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

I'm all for unity and healing. It starts by impeaching Trump.

No, not every Republican is evil. Voting for Trump was not a crime. If you didn't storm the Capitol, you have nothing to fear from the FBI. We don't need Truth and Reconciliation committees, and the Republican Party can yet be redeemed. But Trump must be expelled.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Little Raven wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:51 pm If you didn't storm the Capitol, you have nothing to fear from the FBI.
Well, except for the ones who have been actively conspiring to commit acts of insurrection but didn't make it to DC on the 6th. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch