Lucasfilm Games is back and Ubisoft open world Star Wars game

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Lucasfilm Games is back and Ubisoft open world Star Wars game

Post by Daehawk »

Kind of a twofor post..

1. Lucasfilm Games is making a return..finally.

Lucasfilm Games Name Revived

2. Ubisoft and Lucasfilm Games Announce New Story-Driven Star Wars Game
Ubisoft and Lucasfilm Games have announced a collaboration on a new Star Wars game. Development on the project will be led by Massive Entertainment whose expertise and talent will be used to create a story-driven, open-world experience within the Star Wars galaxy that will also utilize the studio’s cutting-edge technology and advancements, including the Snowdrop engine.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
wonderpug

Re: Lucasfilm Games is back and Ubisoft open world Star Wars game

Post by wonderpug »

Does this mean EA's exclusivity deal ended early? I thought they had total control over Star Wars games until 2023.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I could get behind a Star Wars reskin of The Division.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:52 pm Does this mean EA's exclusivity deal ended early? I thought they had total control over Star Wars games until 2023.
If the Ubisoft game doesn't come out until after the end of that deal, I doubt that there would be a conflict.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wired coverage
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I feel like this is like saying Interplay is still in business. Well yeah, technically....

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Sudy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:14 pm I feel like this is like saying Interplay is still in business. Well yeah, technically....
Perhaps, but there is a huge difference in the resources available to Disney/LucasArts and the shambling animated corpse of Interplay.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It's kind of curious that they would go back to LucasFilm Games rather than LucasArts, which is what most people are familiar with. But I guess they chose it as a pairing to LucasFilm, hoping to make it clear that it's a sister company.

I kind of wish they'd done this from the very beginning when Disney acquired LucasFilm, but rather they cast LucasArts aside and let most of their game IPs languish. I hear this is signaling the end of EA being the sole licensee, and this IMHO is a good thing, as I'd like to see more diversity with multiple studios developing and being published under a single banner, and that's what it sounds like is happening with the label being rebooted and these two new games announced.

Oh and as for EA: Kotaku says:
According to Wired’s report, EA will still continue to develop Star Wars games, but Lucasfilm Games, a new gaming label rolled out earlier this week, will be overseeing the production of other Star Wars games as well.
Last edited by Rumpy on Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:17 pm It's kind of curious that they would go back to LucasFilm Games rather than LucasArts, which is what most people are familiar with. But I guess they chose it as a pairing to LucasFilm, hoping to make it clear that it's a sister company.
Sounds like code for "we're going to milk Star Wars to death again" and not "we're developing a new Monkey Island game".

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:02 pm I could get behind a Star Wars reskin of The Division.
It's funny you say that. My friends and I often discuss how The Division's formula could work for a lot of cool settings. We discussed Star Wars previously and were talking about how cool a Cyberpunk version of it would be just the other night.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:23 pm
Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:17 pm It's kind of curious that they would go back to LucasFilm Games rather than LucasArts, which is what most people are familiar with. But I guess they chose it as a pairing to LucasFilm, hoping to make it clear that it's a sister company.
Sounds like code for "we're going to milk Star Wars to death again" and not "we're developing a new Monkey Island game".
Well, maybe at first to get the recognition of the label out there. Remember, we didn't know about both of these games before yesterday, so it's still possible for others from their other IPs are being developed, now or in the future. The fact that we're also getting a new Indy game out of this is a start in the right direction.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Since they're assigning this game to Massive rather than one of the in-house studios that specializes in the various open-world franchises, I'm expecting this Star Wars title to be more like The Division than Far Cry/Ghost Recon/Assassin's Creed. Of course, they have worked on Far Cry and Assassin's Creed titles in the past, so anything is possible -- maybe a Jedi-themed Just Dance Now mobile game that lets you recreate the classic song and dance routines from the Star Wars Holiday Special?

Having said that, I'd be down for a Jedi Assassin's Creed or Rebel Far Cry or Imperial Ghost Recon game.

Or a Corellian Smuggler/Trader/Nerf Herder space sim from Frontier Developments. :coffee:

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I guess we need good news, even if it's like 2 years in the future. Like CodeMasters got the WRC license... but won't be making Dirt / WRC until 2023. Existing licensee has two more versions at least, and it seems they finally gotten a bit serious about improvement than reiterating the old with minor improvements. I felt very little improvement from 5 to 6 to 7 (and yes, I have all of them, and 4 too)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Lucasfilm Games? Clearly this mean we'll get the long awaited sequel to the Eidolon. I knew this time would come.