[Poll] Do you personally know someone who has Covid-19?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Do you know someone who has tested positive for Covid-19

Yes
81%
No
19%

Total votes: 134

Alefroth

Re: [Poll] Do you personally know someone who has Covid-19?

Post by Alefroth »

Glad to hear you're both doing better and hope there are no long term effects. We will let you know if we observe any psychotic behavior.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, definitely take it easy. Feeling better on Day 15 is one thing. Feeling "back to normal" might not come for months. Don't push yourselves.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

So after being home for 24 hours I'm cautiously optimistic. I haven't needed oxygen and haven't run a fever today. I didn't sleep very well, and I feel all jittery and off, but not ill. Here's hoping for a good tomorrow. My thoughts are also very scattered and random.

I love this message board even though I don't post much, I get so much info and sense of community and fun. Thanks everyone!
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Happy to read this. Keep improving and keep us posted. (both of ya)
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Dramatist wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:34 pm I love this message board even though I don't post much
3009 posts. Not much. Lol. 😉

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I'm headed in the right direction, but it's a slow crawl.

Like Dramatist, my thoughts are fuzzy and unclear. No way I could make an important decision right now.

Two biggest problems I have are #1 massive fatigue and #2 dry cough.

Just walking to the restroom and back takes everything out of me. Takes a good 10 minutes for me to recover my breathing. I sleep probably 70% of the time. Never been hit with something like this.

The coughing started yesterday morning and it's very rough. If it gets carried away, it'll knock my sats down in the 80's for a good 15-20 minutes.

Nights are the worse. I haven't had the night sweats per say, but I'm either cold or hot and nothing in between. When I'm cold I bundle up and sweat like crazy. Haven't found a happy medium yet.

Other than that, no temperature since last week and I'm basically dealing with controlling these few things. It's only been 12 days, so I realize I'm kind of still early into this, so I'm not getting frustrated. My wife is scared but I assure her I'm going to be ok. Just got to stay the course and hang in there.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Moat_Man wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:22 pm
Dramatist wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:34 pm I love this message board even though I don't post much
3009 posts. Not much. Lol. 😉
5,934 days
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I'm back in the ER. I just absolutely could not breath at home, pretty scary actually. I suffered and tried but knew I couldn't make a stupid decision and continue to lay there.

Running the normal battery of tests and then the gameplan. But I already feel so much better than I did when I was wheeled in here an hour ago.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Xmann wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:31 amI already feel so much better than I did when I was wheeled in here an hour ago.
Stay strong, stay safe, get well. Keep us in the loop!
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Just admitted for Remdesivir treatment.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Good! Hope you're back on the upswing soon.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Xmann wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:06 am Just admitted for Remdesivir treatment.
Does your bullshit employer have to foot this bill since you caught it working for them? Get better, hang in there.
No.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Xmann wrote:I'm back in the ER. I just absolutely could not breath at home, pretty scary actually. I suffered and tried but knew I couldn't make a stupid decision and continue to lay there.

Running the normal battery of tests and then the gameplan. But I already feel so much better than I did when I was wheeled in here an hour ago.
Good thing that you are in the er. When I went back in I had pneumonia and something in all the treatments (Remdesivir included) got me through it.

Best wishes to get well soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Yikes. Glad you're feeling better and hope the Remdesivir helps.
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Xmann wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:31 am I'm back in the ER. I just absolutely could not breath at home, pretty scary actually. I suffered and tried but knew I couldn't make a stupid decision and continue to lay there.

Given your critical role as a frontline healthcare worker, it may behoove you to receive the Regeneron monoclonal antibody treatment. It can be a significant challenge to come by, though not entirely impossible. In fact, the following news story links to a step-by-step guide from a San Diego resident that specifically went through the tedious process of securing the treatment for their elderly mother:

Drug to help local COVID-19 patients not being used
CBS8.com wrote:SAN DIEGO — COVID-19 cases are surging in San Diego and our hospitals are packed. So why is medication that could greatly help many people with COVID-19 sitting on pharmacy shelves across our county not being used?

When President Trump tested positive for COVID-19, his doctors immediately prescribed him a monoclonal antibody from Regeneron Pharmaceuticals. The President’s lawyer, Rudy Giuliani also got the drug, along with his friend, former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie.

Monoclonal antibodies made by Regeneron Pharmaceuticals and Eli Lily have been so effective, they were granted emergency use authorization in November, but actually getting a dose here in San Diego can be ridiculously frustrating.

Adrienne Pierre discovered that the hard way after spending hours on the phone just trying to find the medicine here in our county. “Oh, easy, easy at least 50 calls and that's not counting the disconnects and how many times I was transferred.”

Adrienne's 86-year-old mom, Rosemary started feeling sick Christmas Eve. Four days later, her COVID-19 test came back positive, so Adrienne immediately started making calls to get her mom monoclonal antibodies. “No one knew anything and you're in what I call automated attendant hell.”

Adrienne finally decided to call Eli Lily directly and found out that Sharp had the drug in San Diego, but when her mom's doctor's nurse called, things didn't go well. “She just got a no, we don't have it. No, I don't know what you're talking about,” Adrienne said.

Adrienne then called Sharp herself and eventually found they did have the drug, but wouldn't give it to her mom because she's not a Sharp patient. Luckily, the drug was also at Alvarado Hospital and they agreed to take Rosemary right away.

The infusion takes an hour, plus another hour of observation after that. Adrienne thinks many hospitals are so swamped with extremely sick Coronavirus patients that they don't have the staff or space to deal with such a timely procedure. As a result, they don't offer it. And here's the catch, the drug has to be given within 10 days of the first symptoms or it won't work. “Of all the new cases, I wonder how many of those people could have been prevented as hospitalizations if they had only known this was a choice they could make,” Adrienne said.

This isn't just a San Diego problem. Across the country, only about 20% of the available monoclonal antibody doses are being given. Luckily, Rosemary got it and it seems to be working. Just a week later, she has no fever and her vital signs are good.

Adrienne detailed her experience on Facebook, hoping it will help others avoid the frustration she faced. She included a step-by-step guide that should cut hours off your search for a dose in our county. You can find that post here.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Pretty eventful day for me.

I slept decent last night on 4L of oxygen. My sats were around 92% and I felt ok.

Once awake, I made a huge mistake. I needed to go to the restroom so I hoped up and walked the 5 feet to the restroom. I urinated and by the time I walked back to the bed, I was in very bad shape. I absolutely could not breath and I was fearing for my life. I mustered what felt like the last bit of oxygen left in my body and screamed for help. Respiratory was luckily right there and got me on a non rebreather almost immediately. I'm in the hospital that I use to work at, so I know a few people... Including this therapist. He broke protocol and gave me an aerolizing breathing treatment.

Got me to the point I could breath and I've been on high flow oxygen all day. I got my second dose of Remdesivir this afternoon and I tell you, I can tell the difference. I'm on 10L high flow, but I learned just how little reserve I have right now and that is practically zero. Never in my life have I not been too fatigued to even pick my head up. I literally struggle to look left or right.

Good news is my chest x-ray is stable, not better but not worse, I'll take it. My crp is slightly elevated and that's to be expected as well. WBC's are normal, coags are good, etc. Doc just feels it could be a longer haul for me and being oxygen dependent for a few weeks. I actually feel like I'm not laboring as much tonight as I was the past couple days. Regardless, my sweet ass is not getting out of this bed anytime soon.

I've been a RN for 14 years and this side of the bed is a whole different story compared to where I'm usually at.

Keep me in your thoughts guys. Gonna take me a bit to get a hold of this thing.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

How often do you get the opportunity to pee in a jug? Don't waste it by trying to be a hero.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Lessoned learned, trust me.

And to be specific to your question, I literally just did. 2nd time ever.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I ask all OO members, as a show of solidarity with our colleagues, to pee in a jug tonight.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:24 pm I ask all OO members, as a show of solidarity with our colleagues, to pee in a jug tonight.
I mean, my son sometimes does that anyway.

Godspeed, Xmann.
Black Lives Matter.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

That suuuuucks. Do not push it, X.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I...did not realize things escalated. Take it easy and speedy recovery. Did I mention, take it easy?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Good luck, Xmann!
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Xmann wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:57 pm Pretty eventful day for me.

I slept decent last night on 4L of oxygen. My sats were around 92% and I felt ok.

Once awake, I made a huge mistake. I needed to go to the restroom so I hoped up and walked the 5 feet to the restroom. I urinated and by the time I walked back to the bed, I was in very bad shape. I absolutely could not breath and I was fearing for my life. I mustered what felt like the last bit of oxygen left in my body and screamed for help. Respiratory was luckily right there and got me on a non rebreather almost immediately. I'm in the hospital that I use to work at, so I know a few people... Including this therapist. He broke protocol and gave me an aerolizing breathing treatment.

Got me to the point I could breath and I've been on high flow oxygen all day. I got my second dose of Remdesivir this afternoon and I tell you, I can tell the difference. I'm on 10L high flow, but I learned just how little reserve I have right now and that is practically zero. Never in my life have I not been too fatigued to even pick my head up. I literally struggle to look left or right.

Good news is my chest x-ray is stable, not better but not worse, I'll take it. My crp is slightly elevated and that's to be expected as well. WBC's are normal, coags are good, etc. Doc just feels it could be a longer haul for me and being oxygen dependent for a few weeks. I actually feel like I'm not laboring as much tonight as I was the past couple days. Regardless, my sweet ass is not getting out of this bed anytime soon.

I've been a RN for 14 years and this side of the bed is a whole different story compared to where I'm usually at.

Keep me in your thoughts guys. Gonna take me a bit to get a hold of this thing.
Holy crap man that's a scary ordeal and glad to hear you're ok all things considered. Do you mind sharing if you have any underlying conditions or are you old like the rest of us around here? This is why I've been busting my ass working out for over 6 months - I was on the cusp of a couple health issues that based on what I read on COVID were adding to the danger side of the equation.
No.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I'm 47 and never been a patient in a hospital until now. I have a little high blood pressure but other than that, id consider myself a very healthy man. I eat a plant based diet about 70% of the time. My exercise can be a bit sporadic, but I do run regularly. I always thought that if I came down with Covid, I'd never know it.

Guess I was wrong.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Had a bit rough spell last night. I was feeling really decent and actually fell asleep laughing to South Park.

I awoke from a dream where I wasn't sick and got disoriented. I jumped up because I was half asleep and it's set me back again.

Doctor already has seen me this morning. Going to give me convalescent plasma today and consult a pulmonologist. Labs and x-ray all stable.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Xmann wrote:Had a bit rough spell last night. I was feeling really decent and actually fell asleep laughing to South Park.

I awoke from a dream where I wasn't sick and got disoriented. I jumped up because I was half asleep and it's set me back again.

Doctor already has seen me this morning. Going to give me convalescent plasma today and consult a pulmonologist. Labs and x-ray all stable.
Keep hanging in there. Good to hear about your labs and x-Ray being stable. Here’s hoping all the treatments get you better soon.

Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
stessier

Post by stessier »

Sorry to hear of the setbacks Xmann. Hope you're fully on the road to recovery soon!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Dramatist

[Poll] Do you personally know someone who has Covid-19?

Post by Dramatist »

This is the beginning of day 5 home from the hospital. I’m feeling stronger every day but still no where near normal. I just took my last steroid so maybe I’ll begin sleeping a little better in a day or two. I’ve also been hungry all the time but suffering with some acid reflux that I never had before.

For 5 days before I went into the hospital I really couldn’t eat so hopefully I’m just catching up. My heart rate is still elevated somewhat too. I will get to see a primary care physician on Tuesday but he’s new to me so I’m not sure how it’s going to go and what lifestyle changes are in store.

A little about my state of health before Covid.

I’ve just turned 53. I’m 5”11 around 200 lbs. and I don’t eat super healthy. I didn’t take any daily medication but I had high cholesterol and apparently high blood pressure so I’m going to be taking meds for that from now on. I felt good for my age. I have a very active job working and managing inside a Home Depot where I walked over 10 miles a shift (unless we had meetings) and also going up and down ladders 20 times a day carrying product around. If I moved 100 ceiling fans I would be sore and take an Aleve to make the soreness go away. I’ve never smoked or had asthma or anything so I wasn’t expecting compilations from Covid. I have never been that sick.

Also I have A- blood type which I’ve heard might possibly make Covid worse than some other blood types but no idea on how accurate that information is.

Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Dramatist wrote:This is the beginning of day 5 home from the hospital. I’m feeling stronger every day but still no where near normal. I just took my last steroid so maybe I’ll begin sleeping a little better in a day or two. I’ve also been hungry all the time but suffering with some acid reflux that I never had before.

For 5 days before I went into the hospital I really couldn’t eat so hopefully I’m just catching up. My heart rate is still elevated somewhat too. I will get to see a primary care physician on Tuesday but he’s new to me so I’m not sure how it’s going to go and what lifestyle changes are in store.

A little about my state of health before Covid.

I’ve just turned 53. I’m 5”11 around 200 lbs. and I don’t eat super healthy. I didn’t take any daily medication but I had high cholesterol and apparently high blood pressure so I’m going to be taking meds for that from now on. I felt good for my age. I have a very active job working and managing inside a Home Depot where I walked over 10 miles a shift (unless we had meetings) and also going up and down ladders 20 times a day carrying product around. If I moved 100 ceiling fans I would be sore and take an Aleve to make the soreness go away. I’ve never smoked or had asthma or anything so I wasn’t expecting compilations from Covid. I have never been that sick.

Also I have A- blood type which I’ve heard might possibly make Covid worse than some other blood types but no idea on how accurate that information is.

Glad you are on the rebound. I've got acid reflux myself.

I'm hoping another dose of Remdesivir and plasma will help me turn the corner today.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
soulbringer

Post by soulbringer »

24-36 hours after my plasma and after 2 doses Remdesivir, I knew I was getting much much better. Take it easy guys. I was sick in August and still having issues from time to time.
Roman

Post by Roman »

One of my direct reports got it back in late November.

He had a 'bubble' of guys he trains with - MMA type stuff.

They added a new member to their bubble - he happened to be an ambulance paramedic...........

They trained on Monday/Tuesday.

The person I know had 2 friends over the Friday night for beer and pizza.

He woke up on Saturday with a fever - the fever did not break until late Tuesday after he was tested.

Test came back Wednesday. 1 more guy who he trained with also got it. They have since banned the paramedic.........

He called his 2 buddies who he was with on the Friday - advised them. They were both now sick and did not understand how?
One of them passed it to his elderly mother - they are both still on puffers for breathing issues.
The other guy passed it to his pregnant wife - all three are ok as of today.

My direct report acted selfishly by still training with his 'bubble'. He also contravened local restrictions by knowingly traveling to another jurisdiction where gyms were open.

edited - none above required hospitalization thankfully.
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Roman wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:49 am One of my direct reports got it back in late November.

He had a 'bubble' of guys he trains with - MMA type stuff.

They added a new member to their bubble - he happened to be an ambulance paramedic...........

They trained on Monday/Tuesday.

The person I know had 2 friends over the Friday night for beer and pizza.

He woke up on Saturday with a fever - the fever did not break until late Tuesday after he was tested.

Test came back Wednesday. 1 more guy who he trained with also got it. They have since banned the paramedic.........

He called his 2 buddies who he was with on the Friday - advised them. They were both now sick and did not understand how?
One of them passed it to his elderly mother - they are both still on puffers for breathing issues.
The other guy passed it to his pregnant wife - all three are ok as of today.

My direct report acted selfishly by still training with his 'bubble'. He also contravened local restrictions by knowingly traveling to another jurisdiction where gyms were open.

edited - none above required hospitalization thankfully.
Not going to lie, that shit pisses me off - bubbles haven't been a thing in Ontario for awhile and I see it all the time people excusing their own behaviour while pissed off at others.. Frustrating! Also for whatever it's worth in my little rural community, the only people that seem to be really irresponsible and getting infected are the firefighters and paramedics (and ironically to some degree the nurses living here too). But the Firefighters/Paramedics are frequently posting pictures from jogging in groups side by side, playing hockey on neighbourhood rinks -- and also getting/passing COVID around. Brutal - you'd think they would know better.
No.
Roman

Post by Roman »

I agree Fish. He also has an ederly mother and for some reason despite them being together 1-2 days before his fever she never got sick.
And he was the one who took this very seriously WAY back in Jan and Feb 2020 by buying tons of hand sanitizer and we all laughed.....

He's in Peel and travelled to Halton (Burlington) - total asshat.

3 weeks after his infection we were both in the office and I had my 1-1 with him and went to a large boardroom setting. He asked why?

I said he's like the hot girl at school who HAD an STD - I will be wearing protection for quite some time :)
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Just catching up. Sending get well wishes for all our COVID+ OOers.

Xmann, hate hearing about the treatment you received from the Texas hospital and your employer. Glad you're back in TN.

When you have the time/energy, I'd recommend putting together a timeline and list of issues/grievances. No idea what the long term and/or financial fallout will be but good idea to have notes just in case. I'd also refrain from publicly going after the employer until you know how things shake out. Someone mentioned maybe warning other potential employees, that's the right thing to do and probably ok but IANAFL.

I stopped counting the number of people I know who have been +. Funny how many don't say anything until they're through it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Roman wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:07 am I agree Fish. He also has an ederly mother and for some reason despite them being together 1-2 days before his fever she never got sick.
And he was the one who took this very seriously WAY back in Jan and Feb 2020 by buying tons of hand sanitizer and we all laughed.....

3 weeks after his infection we were both in the office and I had my 1-1 with him and went to a large boardroom setting. He asked why?

I said he's like the hot girl at school who HAD an STD - I will be wearing protection for quite some time :)
Damn you guys are in the office? I haven't been in the office now for about a year straight, and everyone is mandated to work from home aside from like 150 people across the country (out of 4k). No WFH for you guys? Even if I was in the office, I'd be using Webex/Zoom to be doing a 1:1 with a COVID infection lol.
No.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Get well X! Must be one of the most frightening things in life to not be able to get enough air into your body.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Roman

Post by Roman »

FishPants wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:12 am
Roman wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:07 am I agree Fish. He also has an ederly mother and for some reason despite them being together 1-2 days before his fever she never got sick.

Damn you guys are in the office? I haven't been in the office now for about a year straight, and everyone is mandated to work from home aside from like 150 people across the country (out of 4k). No WFH for you guys? Even if I was in the office, I'd be using Webex/Zoom to be doing a 1:1 with a COVID infection lol.
I manage the Infrastructure team so yeah - we CAN go in once a week BUT we don't have to. I went in because I felt a sense of moral duty and guilt....... my guys are in I guess I should show solidarity :grund:

Anyhoo - 99.9% of us are all remote and have been since March 12, 2020. There are some things that have to be taken care of still like backup tapes offsite etc (moving to cloud soon)
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

FishPants wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:12 am
Same - I haven't seen the office since March and am not allowed to go in unless I call and make special arrangements. And no way in hell would I be in a room with someone that was only 3 weeks out from a positive diagnosis. I can totally understand the lead from the front management desire, though.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Xmann wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:57 pmNever in my life have I not been too fatigued to even pick my head up. I literally struggle to look left or right.
I have, but just once. I don't know what hit me but I came home from work one day feeling absolutely miserable. It took everything I had to get upstairs and crash on my bed. Once I was there, it felt like a monumental effort to raise an arm or move any part of me. I was insanely weak. I had to direct my 4-year old son on how to make dinner for himself. It was not amusing. 3 hours later, I was fine - like nothing had happened.

Take care. Get well, stay strong. Don't go dying to just so you can pee in a toilet... damn. :shock:
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.