News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rumpy

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Rumpy »

Earlier today, I watched last year's Christmas animated movie Klaus, and while good, I felt the first 30 minutes were fairly dark and mean-spirited, enough to the point of feeling like it wouldn't be good for kids. Eventually it warms up, but it really takes its time getting there.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Apparently I’m the only person who thought “Death to 2020” was pretty funny. :shrug:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:11 pm Apparently I’m the only person who thought “Death to 2020” was pretty funny. :shrug:
Too soon...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I watched Midnight Sky today, despite the copious reviews warning me not to. It was... fine.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Finished all the Kim’s Convenience available on Netflix.

What a truly delightful show. Need more!
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Papa Smurph

Post by Papa Smurph »

Kim’s Convenience Is amazing. Thumbs up from me.

Midnight Sky I “watched” while doing other things, so I didn’t really follow it. Seemed odd, but maybe good. I want to go back and rewatch it while paying attention. Not really able to score it yet.

Klaus was pretty good. I watched it the other day, and found it pretty funny, even during the dark beginning. The animation style isn’t my favorite, but I still enjoyed the film.

Cobra Kai is fantastic. I’m excited for the new season. As soon as my kids go back to school, I’ll be watching it (nothing else to do as an empty nester during covid times).

Derry Girls seems pretty funny so far. I’ve only seen the first two episodes, though.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:51 am Finished all the Kim’s Convenience available on Netflix.

What a truly delightful show. Need more!
You might like Corner Gas, another great Canadian sitcom. It's one of my favourites with great characters.

I just watched the Netflix remake of Papillon and was pretty impressed. They did a great job with that one.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Coming back this Friday (1/15)

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I watched two episodes of Alice in Borderlands and well it's batshit insane. I think my wife is bowing out due to the extreme violence. The second episode was slightly violent. ;)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Anything with "Borderland" in the title is probably going to be far less batshit insane and violent than I have been conditioned to expect from that particular term. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Really late to the party, but I'm about halfway through Maniac now and just loving it. Gives a Brazil vibe, which is a pretty rare thing.
No sig, must scream, etc.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love me some Disenchantment. Elfo is the laziest name in cartoons in ages...but that's one of the reasons his character is so great.
Covfefe!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:24 pm Anything with "Borderland" in the title is probably going to be far less batshit insane and violent than I have been conditioned to expect from that particular term. :coffee:
From the second episode. I would say you may be wrong. I'm kind of scared to see what they do in episode 3.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:59 pm I love me some Disenchantment. Elfo is the laziest name in cartoons in ages...but that's one of the reasons his character is so great.
Yes to Elfo, although Bender would have been in the running if they hadn't added his surname.

I'm looking forward to getting back to this on Friday.
Conform or be cast out!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I really wish Disenchantment had included a recap. It's been long enough that I have no idea what's going on.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's easy, just rewatch the first two seasons. :D
Covfefe!
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:08 pm I really wish Disenchantment had included a recap. It's been long enough that I have no idea what's going on.
It did, kinda.
hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:59 pm I love me some Disenchantment. Elfo is the laziest name in cartoons in ages...but that's one of the reasons his character is so great.
Back to this again! It's almost like the writers read OO and made a late addition to the script:
Spoiler:
The name's "O"; Elf O. :D
Last edited by Hrdina on Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conform or be cast out!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:

I’m just about to dive in.
Covfefe!
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:11 am :lol:

I’m just about to dive in.
Ah, sorry, I should have put that into a spoiler tag maybe. :oops:
Conform or be cast out!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I didn't really see it as a spoiler, so no harm in my opinion.

Luci's "What's up, Tater" line in the first episode was so dumb it made me laugh. But yeah, the show is still fun.

As for a recap, an almost 4 minute long one played before I could start season 3. So there is one.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:23 am I didn't really see it as a spoiler, so no harm in my opinion.

Luci's "What's up, Tater" line in the first episode was so dumb it made me laugh. But yeah, the show is still fun.

As for a recap, an almost 4 minute long one played before I could start season 3. So there is one.
Really? It went straight into the intro, then straight into them standing in a pit for me.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I believe if you started it before at any point, or someone else did on your account, Netflix drops the recap on future watches. At least that's what happened when I just tried it again after already starting it. Which makes sense. You don't wanna watch the recap every time you start the show.

But in any case, here's a written recap which should get you back up to speed.

In other news, I made it 45 minutes into Outside the Wire before I gave up. For a movie about robots and war, it’s just boring. It wants to raise questions about what makes us human....but it does so by just rehashing the stories from the 2,378 films that have tried to do the same before it.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Go Karts is almost a blatant copy of The Karate Kid in some places, down to the unorthodox training methods, and I could have sworn some of the dialogue was straight-out lifted, but other than that, not a bad movie.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:23 am Luci's "What's up, Tater" line in the first episode was so dumb it made me laugh. But yeah, the show is still fun.
It's the random non-sequitur stuff in this show that has me laughing the most. Well that, and every time the Jester says "Oh no..."
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:36 pmOne episode into the Korean horror series Sweet Home and I’m hooked. It’s basically the old Italian horror film Demons so far. The cinematography is outstanding. The opening scene of the show contains a great monsters in a snow storm shot.

Addendum: two episodes in and it does have its flaws. The story is pretty weak. It’s nowhere near Kingdom when it comes to narrative. But if you want great camera work and oodles of creative monsters, it’s well worth a watch. The show is just fun. It reminds me of Sam Raimi or early Peter Jackson in many ways.
I started this up as Netflix kept rubbing my nose in it, and I'm enjoying it for the most part. It has a very unusual pace - sometimes hectic, sometimes boring, always strange. It also makes me wish I knew Korean so I didn't have to rely on subtitles, which constantly come across as a "best effort" translation.

As for the monsters...
Spoiler:
I haven't finished it, but they seem to be the embodiment of whatever someone desires - and strong desires seem to be what's driving the curse to change people. One monster early on is essentially a leech, and I imagine their desire was to take things from people. Another is always looking to bulk up and eat more protein (people being a good source), so I'm picturing a body-builder gone out of control. Another ends up becoming a baby in a womb, as she longs for the infant daughter she lost. Another becomes a gargantuan eyeball on a 30' long neck, and I expect that person was a peeping tom. No two monsters are identical. One of the main characters is a boy who wants nothing more than to mourn the family he had that died in a car accident he was also in, and seems to have simply become impervious to death while remaining the same in appearance - though he's able to fight the change and switches back and forth between his "monster" self and "normal" self instantly and uses this to help save people.

All of the monsters seem impossible to kill so far. Wounds that only harm them heal quickly or instantly. Decapitation leads to a body running around without a head.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That was pretty much my take too. I finished it, but a few times I had to struggle with the urge to give up. But then something would happen to bring me back.

I still wholeheartedly recommend The Witch: Subversion on Netflix. It's a fantastic horror/superhero movie from Korea that I actually bought before netflix got it. It is fantastic.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:41 pm This documentary's well worth watching IMHO (all the moreso for parents of juveniles):

Hell, I think EVERYONE should watch this. I stopped using Facebook a year or two ago, and I wasn't exactly sure why, but something was just off. Now I know. WATCH THIS. If you have kids, WATCH THIS WITH THEM.

I made it required watching for us...with much protesting and whining. Lots of eye rolling. In fact, a LOT of the behavior reflected in the docu-drama (if that's what this genre is).

One of the things I found interesting is that one of the interviewees reinforced an idea I have mentioned here a few times in R&P (and have seen others mention as well) - the reason "the other side" can't see what you think is blatantly clear, is because they are being a fed a completely different diet than you are! They literally do not see the things you think are amazingly important (or see it presented in a way that's so different how it's presented to you that it may as well be a different thing).

My take? We're fucked. :o

And FWIW, I think Mr. TrisTAHN thinks we're fucked too, he's just too scared to actually say it (or they edited it, or recommended he soften it a bit). You can see doom in his eyes!

Also, F Mark Zuck.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Mr. TrisTAHN
Nice to know I’m not the only one that has that cartoon in mind whenever I see the name.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:21 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:41 pm This documentary's well worth watching IMHO (all the moreso for parents of juveniles):

Hell, I think EVERYONE should watch this. I stopped using Facebook a year or two ago, and I wasn't exactly sure why, but something was just off. Now I know. WATCH THIS. If you have kids, WATCH THIS WITH THEM.

I made it required watching for us...with much protesting and whining. Lots of eye rolling. In fact, a LOT of the behavior reflected in the docu-drama (if that's what this genre is).

One of the things I found interesting is that one of the interviewees reinforced an idea I have mentioned here a few times in R&P (and have seen others mention as well) - the reason "the other side" can't see what you think is blatantly clear, is because they are being a fed a completely different diet than you are! They literally do not see the things you think are amazingly important (or see it presented in a way that's so different how it's presented to you that it may as well be a different thing).

My take? We're fucked. :o

And FWIW, I think Mr. TrisTAHN thinks we're fucked too, he's just too scared to actually say it (or they edited it, or recommended he soften it a bit). You can see doom in his eyes!

Also, F Mark Zuck.
BTW, the following video makes for a worthwhile postscript after watching The Social Dilemma:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wow, thanks for that! Very interesting, and down the rabbit hole of his other YT videos I went. THANKS! (sarcasm). :P

I started using DuckDuckGo on all my devices several months ago. It is slightly more...work than say Safari, on some websites, but worth it I think. The guy that did that video you linked to has one comparing Google and DDG. Very interesting.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Just finished watching Kid Cosmic with the kid (9). We thought it was a really fun series, good music that fits well and good characters. I would re watch episodes just for some of the humor. Catchy theme song as well. Good animation style, much like the old comic books.

From the creator of powerpuff girls.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's wholly derivative, badly written, and overly long...but dang it, I enjoyed Space Sweepers. What started as a "let's see how bad this is" few minutes of viewing, finished with the end credits. I can't say I'm proud of this, but it entertained me. :oops:
Covfefe!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I watched Fate: The Winx Saga over the last week. :oops: It was objectively pretty terrible, but I'm a sucker for "high school, but magic!" premises so I enjoyed it well enough. But if you go into it thinking you'll get clear motives for any character's actions, or really any logic at all, you'll be pretty disappointed.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:36 pm I watched Fate: The Winx Saga over the last week. :oops: It was objectively pretty terrible, but I'm a sucker for "high school, but magic!" premises so I enjoyed it well enough. But if you go into it thinking you'll get clear motives for any character's actions, or really any logic at all, you'll be pretty disappointed.
Thanks for the warning. I watched the preview hoping for The Magicians, but it looked more like Harry Pothead.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I enjoyed Space Sweepers too. Silly title and far from a "great" movie, but perfectly fine for a lazy Sunday afternoon. Also, though it's a Korean movie, about half the dialog was in English. (The conceit is that everybody wears a universal translator in their ears so everyone just speaks in their native language.)

P.S. The bad guy played Thorin in the hobbit movies. He's taller in this one.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm a sucker for Asian big budget films. However, I will say that Monster Run (another big budget Asian film...but this time from China) is pretty much unwatchable.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:08 am I enjoyed Space Sweepers too. Silly title and far from a "great" movie, but perfectly fine for a lazy Sunday afternoon. Also, though it's a Korean movie, about half the dialog was in English. (The conceit is that everybody wears a universal translator in their ears so everyone just speaks in their native language.)

P.S. The bad guy played Thorin in the hobbit movies. He's taller in this one.
I enjoyed it, but wondered:
Spoiler:
If the the bad guy was going to transform into something with those bursting red veins.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter