The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

stessier

Re: The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

Post by stessier »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:02 pm After all the "it's the biggest thing since sliced bread" comments I bought Witcher 3 from Steam during the sale, but was told to wait to play till they released a updated graphics package. Any idea yet on when this will occur?
I'm running a 2015 computer, but I find the graphics more than acceptable. I run everywhere rather than fast travel because everything is just so nice to look at.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

stessier wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:26 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:02 pm After all the "it's the biggest thing since sliced bread" comments I bought Witcher 3 from Steam during the sale, but was told to wait to play till they released a updated graphics package. Any idea yet on when this will occur?
I'm running a 2015 computer, but I find the graphics more than acceptable. I run everywhere rather than fast travel because everything is just so nice to look at.
I'm talking about the update for next gen consoles that will also update the PC version...
We’re working on the next generation edition of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt!

Developed to take advantage of the most powerful gaming hardware, the next-gen edition of the game will feature a range of visual and technical improvements — including ray tracing and faster loading times — across the base game, both expansions, and all extra content.

The next generation edition of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will release as a standalone purchase for PC, Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5, as well as a free update for everyone who already owns the game on PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
The announcement was made in early September so I was wondering if someone had better info on the expected drop.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I wouldn't bother waiting. It's a good looking game in it's current incarnation.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
stessier

Post by stessier »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:44 pm I wouldn't bother waiting. It's a good looking game in it's current incarnation.
That's what I meant.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project

I didn't mod my game btw.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:55 pm The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project

That's not the official one jztemple2 was talking about though. I saw some comparison shots on youtube and was unimpressed.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:44 pm I wouldn't bother waiting. It's a good looking game in it's current incarnation.
If on console, it has been xBox One X enhanced for years. Not sure if that means running a 4k tho.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Pyperkub wrote:
If on console, it has been xBox One X enhanced for years. Not sure if that means running a 4k tho.
The One X Enhanced version supports 4K with HDR and looks pretty incredible, despite being several years old.

I jumped straight to Witcher 3 having only played a few hours of the original a long time ago and didn't have any real trouble following the story. The questions near the beginning make no sense without context from earlier games, but you can stumble through without knowing the difference, and the other references to your past usually make at least some sense on their own or aren't really important. You can also get a lot of the key backstory points from watching the Witcher tv show... how Geralt met Ciri and Yennifer, and their relationships with each other.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

stessier wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:05 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:55 pm The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project

That's not the official one jztemple2 was talking about though. I saw some comparison shots on youtube and was unimpressed.
Oh I know. But its a graphics mod. Looking at pics I cant see a big difference of any sometimes. I didn't mod my game play through. I need to go do the DLCs sometime.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:17 pm One thing that I will say for people playing through Witcher 3 now is that it's probably worth looking up the key decisions that determine whether you get the good ending or the bad ending. They're not intuitive or obvious at all IMO (I got a good ending, but when I went back I was surprised by what mattered, and I *barely* avoided the bad ending), and the bad ending is a massive bummer. I'd be happy to post the key ones in as non-spoilery a way as possible if that would be helpful.
If you could spoiler them and then be as non-spoilery as possible, that would be great.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:44 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:17 pm One thing that I will say for people playing through Witcher 3 now is that it's probably worth looking up the key decisions that determine whether you get the good ending or the bad ending. They're not intuitive or obvious at all IMO (I got a good ending, but when I went back I was surprised by what mattered, and I *barely* avoided the bad ending), and the bad ending is a massive bummer. I'd be happy to post the key ones in as non-spoilery a way as possible if that would be helpful.
If you could spoiler them and then be as non-spoilery as possible, that would be great.
Sure thing. Note that this is what you need to do to avoid the "bad" ending. There are two different endings that are "good" endings. Which one of those you get depends on other choices (and both of those are good and satisfying endings).

The one unavoidable spoiler implicit in this stuff is whether you successfully track down Ciri at some point.
Spoiler:

You have to make the "correct" choice in at least half of these to avoid the 'bad' ending:

- When Ciri asks you if you want to have a snowball fight, say yes (this is also a fun mini-game)
- Refuse payment from the Emperor in exchange for looking for Ciri (this also requires choosing to go with Ciri to see the Emperor when it comes up in conversation with Ciri)
- When Ciri has a meeting with sorceresses, let her go on her own instead of going with her
- When you are in a laboratory, let Ciri wreck it instead of telling her to calm down
- Go with Ciri to visit a grave when she asks you
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm up to 77.9 hours and am at Level 18.5. I still have a ton I can do in Velen/Novigrad. This game is huge.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I easily put in close to 150 hours with it. And I could go back right now and have about another 50 hours of side quests to explore. You get your money’s worth with it, that’s for sure.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Does anyone know how to get the alternate mode of Axii to work? When I hold Q, it still just fires off the normal version. I'd really like to get some allies in some of these battles.
stessier

Post by stessier »

106 hours in I finally made it to Skellige at level 21. I really like how the different lands not only look different but have different background music.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

stessier wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:30 am Does anyone know how to get the alternate mode of Axii to work? When I hold Q, it still just fires off the normal version. I'd really like to get some allies in some of these battles.
Read up on it online. Seems to be buggy for some. In theory you simply cast it the same as the other alt ones...hold down the cast button a while instead of tapping it.
But things people post say can affect it is....

in combat it sometimes wont work and only out...others say it dont matter
if the puppet is close to an enemy he will fight..if not he stands there until it runs out
if delusion is equipped it wont work...others say it does

Lots say this fixes it for them...

To fix this:

Navigate to your folder: C:\Users\<User Name>\Documents\The Witcher 3

Open the file "input.settings"

Find all the entries for "IK_Q=(Action=CastSignHold,State=Duration,IdleTime=0.2)"

Change the entry to have an IdleTime of 0.01. So after your change it should look like this:

"IK_Q=(Action=CastSignHold,State=Duration,IdleTime=0.01)"

There are multiple entries of this setting, so you will have to change them all.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

disarm

Post by disarm »

I'm finally done...just finished Blood and Wine tonight, and the conclusion was perfect. It's really amazing that they created an expansion with a volume and depth of content that exceeds most stand-alone games, and provided a perfect continuation of an already amazing game.

With the second expansion behind me, I've now completed almost everything I could find in the game. The only things I haven't finished are a majority of the Gwent quests because I just never found that aspect of the game interesting. I did finish every other quest that I could find through the primary game and both expansions, visited every location and question mark on the map, and completed all of the treasure hunts through Grandmaster level. In the end, I reached level 52 after spending 135 hours with the game, and despite sinking so much time into it already, I would gladly jump right back in if more content were available. This game is an absolute masterpiece and easily one of my all-time favorites.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, question. I beat the main game about a year ago, and I didn't have any of the DLCs at the time. When I bought the DLCs a few months ago, it upgraded me to the Game of the Year Edition. The question is, should I expect to be able to resume where I left off or will I have to redo everything in this new version?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I copied my save folder over for just that reason. I think I asked on here and thats what was suggested. I still have it..I did the exact as you..finished game got exps later and it gave me the goty edition. Hope it works.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Rumpy wrote:So, question. I beat the main game about a year ago, and I didn't have any of the DLCs at the time. When I bought the DLCs a few months ago, it upgraded me to the Game of the Year Edition. The question is, should I expect to be able to resume where I left off or will I have to redo everything in this new version?
You should be able to jump right back in with your old saves.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. I figured it would be the case, but wanted to make sure.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Good Old Games has the GotY edition for only $10 right now if you've been wanting to play it.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Considering how many hours I got out of this game + expansions, $10 is a steal.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's 9.99 on Steam too, it appears. I played it to completion (minus a ton of sidequests, I'm sure) on the PS4, but I'm tempted to buy it for PC now.
Covfefe!
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

disarm wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:10 am I'm finally done...just finished Blood and Wine tonight, and the conclusion was perfect. It's really amazing that they created an expansion with a volume and depth of content that exceeds most stand-alone games, and provided a perfect continuation of an already amazing game.

With the second expansion behind me, I've now completed almost everything I could find in the game. The only things I haven't finished are a majority of the Gwent quests because I just never found that aspect of the game interesting. I did finish every other quest that I could find through the primary game and both expansions, visited every location and question mark on the map, and completed all of the treasure hunts through Grandmaster level. In the end, I reached level 52 after spending 135 hours with the game, and despite sinking so much time into it already, I would gladly jump right back in if more content were available. This game is an absolute masterpiece and easily one of my all-time favorites.
I just saw that you finished the game. Congratulations! It's a remarkable thing to go through it all. I was so addicted that I went back through it again a second time shortly after I finished...and maybe burned myself out on it a little, though I do plan to do it once more at some point in the not too distant future.

I can still remember how I felt post-credits of the main game, so sad to be leaving a world I spent so much time in. It was gut-wrenching. This was before I knew how good the expansions would be, and that they would be arguably produce the fondest memories of entire experience. No fictional world - game, book, tv, or movie - has ever made me miss it so much.
disarm

Post by disarm »

While I don't see myself going back to play through again given how thoroughly I tried to complete everything on my first run, I would gladly re-enter that world to experience additional content. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be in the cards. Oh well...plenty of fond memories...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

OH. MY. GOD!!

I just installed Witcher 3 GotY edition and copied over my save dir from 2017.....and Im instantly LOST. Beyond lost. All tabs of my inv are filled with stuff I have no idea why Im carrying. Crafting is the same way. I have 500 key binds I cant remember what I had bound and am guessing at. I dont remember signs and what they did. And all the graphics need adjusting as it is slow and floaty on high so moving all to medium for now.

I have no idea what Im doing. What I can drop. What I should keep or store.

Im lvl 35 and wearing the top end wolf gear and weapons and its all enchanted. If it wasn't for that Id be tempted to simply start a Heart of Stone only character that supposedly comes pre set to get me through it. I may end up doing that anyways.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

According to what Im reading it starts you with an "appropriately leveled and geared character of lvl 32" to begin Hearts of Stone with. So maybe that might be best. Did anyone use that character? It would be 3 lvls lower than my main from years ago...no idea how it would be geared..My old guy had the best going at the end. It also says theres a guy on the map I can go to to raise gear up easily or something.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I tried playing from my old save after a break of about three years. I had no idea what was going on or how things worked any more, so I ended it up just restarting from the beginning. Didn’t do as many side quests as in my first play through, but ended up eventually beating it and the expansions.
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

I have been holding out hope of the 4K remaster that was promised last year before a second go around. The 4K announcement was tied to engine updates for 2077 though and my guess is that meltdown put the idea to rest. I've got other games to play in the meantime but I'd really like to return to it.

Edit: Actually it appears to be alive. They farmed it out to another studio and there appears to be life as of 2 weeks ago.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

I think they'd be crazy not to release what they promised now, but then again, I thought they were crazy to offer it for free to begin with, so what do I know.

I'm going to play it again if the 4K release comes out, or if I get impatient over the next year.

Daehawk: Start over! It's just easier that way. I returned to Spider-Man after a 2 year hiatus and couldn't remember how to play (even though I'm 92% done with the campaign in that save). SO...I started over. It's fun!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It will let me start with the premade character at lv l32 and only start the DLC..I wont have to replay the original quests.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

malchior wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:23 pm I have been holding out hope of the 4K remaster that was promised last year before a second go around. The 4K announcement was tied to engine updates for 2077 though and my guess is that meltdown put the idea to rest. I've got other games to play in the meantime but I'd really like to return to it.

Edit: Actually it appears to be alive. They farmed it out to another studio and there appears to be life as of 2 weeks ago.
This is what I'm waiting for as well.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive been holding onto this save file for 4 years and now I may not even use it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

4 years? Yeah, start a new game.
Covfefe!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:29 pm OH. MY. GOD!!

I just installed Witcher 3 GotY edition and copied over my save dir from 2017.....and Im instantly LOST.
The last time I played X3, I loaded a save that had in excess of 300 hours logged on it.

I was glad that before I stopped playing the previous time, I had the foresight to note in the in-game player log everything I was in the middle of, what problems I was running into, and what I intended to do next.

Games with sprawling worlds should all have a log feature for players to take notes in. You know when you're done with a game for a while. It's nice to not have to toss a save with dozens of hours logged in it just because you come back with no idea WTF was going on.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:59 pm I tried playing from my old save after a break of about three years. I had no idea what was going on or how things worked any more, so I ended it up just restarting from the beginning.
I have done this three times now, and still haven't finished the sucker. It's just too big, and I either get burned out or distracted well before I get anywhere near the end.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I restarted it with the provided equipped and leveled Geralt for Hearts. Still going to take a bit to start as it has no skills slotted or chosen. Theres a lot to go through. But better than trying to figure an inv out and all. Also still need to bind keys right.....Im tempted to try the controller for the first in a Witcher game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hmm. This game was one of the best looking games to me . But loading it up now It looks good but also looks off. Sorta old sorta plastic. Not sure what setting is what and I have so much to tweak in just graphics I cant recall what my sweet spot was on this old video card.

Then I open my skills and I have over 40 points to spend in 5 areas...and I have no idea whats good. Seems I have a lot of reading online before even bothering to try and play this.

May save it for another time and just toss Black Flag back in first.