The Biden Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: The Biden Presidency Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

NPR
President-elect Joe Biden teared up twice Tuesday afternoon as he said goodbye to his adopted home state of Delaware and prepared to fly to Washington, D.C., to assume the presidency.

Paraphrasing, as he often does, Irish literature, Biden paused for several moments as he told a small, socially distanced crowd at a National Guard center named after his son Beau that "when I die, Delaware will be written on my heart."
"Twelve years ago, I was waiting at the train station in Wilmington for a Black man to pick me up on our way to Washington, where we were sworn in as president and vice president of the United States of America," Biden said. "And here we are today, my family and I, about to return again to Washington, to meet a Black woman of South Asian descent, to be sworn in as president and vice president of the United States. ... That's America. That's Delaware."
It will be nice to have a president that has actually has a shred of empathy and the ability to learn from experience.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:32 pm I thought Hawley said it's time to heal and get along.
Turns out he's an asshole.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:55 pm NPR
President-elect Joe Biden teared up twice Tuesday afternoon as he said goodbye to his adopted home state of Delaware and prepared to fly to Washington, D.C., to assume the presidency.

Paraphrasing, as he often does, Irish literature, Biden paused for several moments as he told a small, socially distanced crowd at a National Guard center named after his son Beau that "when I die, Delaware will be written on my heart."
"Twelve years ago, I was waiting at the train station in Wilmington for a Black man to pick me up on our way to Washington, where we were sworn in as president and vice president of the United States of America," Biden said. "And here we are today, my family and I, about to return again to Washington, to meet a Black woman of South Asian descent, to be sworn in as president and vice president of the United States. ... That's America. That's Delaware."
It will be nice to have a president that has actually has a shred of empathy and the ability to learn from experience.
I'm just happy to have a President with emotions.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
stessier

Post by stessier »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:07 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:55 pm NPR

I'm just happy to have a President with emotions.
Unfair - anger and fear are emotions.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm personally excited that this thread won't ever exceed 25 pages and that every time the president opens his mouth, he won't be whining about how unfair the world has been to him lately. I've also missed hearing a president speak who's voice doesn't grate on me like nails on a chalkboard.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:04 pm
LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:32 pm I thought Hawley said it's time to heal and get along.
Turns out he's an asshole.
It's always the ones you most suspect.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm watching the Fox News coverage of the inauguration so I can relish the forced smiles.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I went with PBS.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Paingod wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:51 am I'm personally excited that this thread won't ever exceed 25 pages
Personally, I'm hopeful that, with all Biden's accomplishments (and tan suit stumbles) it will get over 25 pages over the next 8 years.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

So few future topics will be "Presidency" but actual, tangible topics. Catch all threads are so annoying for folks who appreciate history and timelines.

[edit:]Or don't read topics every day and have to catch up on five pages of a catch-all thread. These tend to be exclusionary to non-die hards.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Sometimes I click on a thread, start reading, get to the bottom and realize I'm 5+ pages behind. At that point I tend to jump to the last thread so it gets marked as read.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm hoping that this is right. I know Biden's sentimental and strives for bipartisanship, but at the end of the day he's going to have to choose between the filibuster and having a meaningful presidency, so hoping that he ultimately goes with the latter. Though he'll need to be careful about it since he'll need to have 50 votes to get rid of it.
Black Lives Matter.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

People, it won't work. Manchin is firmly against the filibuster (and there are others), so that's not going to change, no matter how hard you wish. It's not up to Schumer or Biden. There are other proposals though:

https://www.vox.com/22238630/filibuster ... chin-ideas

But the fact remains, getting rid of the filibuster is unlikely.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

I agree with Grifman but what I'm hearing from Schumer/Clyburn is they are positioning for a fight "down the line" when it is clear we are looking at another full out obstruction pattern again. That said there is absolutely no reason to take it off the table with McConnell. I mean he'd never take that deal.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It'll be fixed when we add D.C. and Puerto Rico as states. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Crap, the President is tweeting already.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Facts on US role in @WHO

* US never left WHO @JoeBiden
will tell UN he's rescinding 1 yr w/drawal notice
* Biden will release all funds owed to WHO
* US will join #COVAX, joining 172 countries
* Fauci is a staunch internationalist

We're rejoining the community of nations!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

To' Skinypup: That doesn't bother me. It's a friendly way of advising people that the grownups are in charge now. I don't expect him to abuse it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:25 pm To' Skinypup: That doesn't bother me. It's a friendly way of advising people that the grownups are in charge now. I don't expect him to abuse it.
I was kidding. :)

I thoroughly approve of the POTUS using the medium to keep people informed.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Biden's use of Twitter will be slightly more restrained than Trump's, and that he won't actually be sending his own tweets.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I'm confused. Is Biden the best president ever and also my favorite president and also a president who has done things no other president has ever done before? Without Biden tweeting this information to me, I don't know how I'm supposed to know.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I'll bet that despite how they voted on the election "fraud" issue, that a majority of Republican senators and reps are actually relieved and happy that Biden is president.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Grifman wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:12 pm I'll bet that despite how they voted on the election "fraud" issue, that a majority of Republican senators and reps are actually relieved and happy that Biden is president.
Now they don't have to pretend to lead.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Grifman wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:12 pm I'll bet that despite how they voted on the election "fraud" issue, that a majority of Republican senators and reps are actually relieved and happy that Biden is president.
A couple of pundits were just talking about this. The republican party functions better as an opposition party. now, their platform is to complain about and slow down change. They suck at governing but are really good at making money for being victims.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:19 pm
Obstruction is MUCH easier, and the other party gets the blame.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Combustible Lemur wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:36 pm
Isgrimnur wrote:
A couple of pundits were just talking about this. The republican party functions better as an opposition party. now, their platform is to complain about and slow down change. They suck at governing but are really good at making money for being victims.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
It plays into the base's persecution complex.

Sent from Rutabega using a Guitar Hero controller
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Combustible Lemur wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:36 pm
Isgrimnur wrote:
Almost like OO GOP R&P forum members.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:37 pm
Hannity is already griping that Biden is under performing on COVID-19. For real. It is a sound clip so I can't "quote it". He actually says that Biden promised to have this under control day 1.

Edit: Actually Media Matters has an excerpt below the clip.
SEAN HANNITY (HOST): They're minimizing, I noticed, on getting COVID under control. "It's going to take a lot of time, a lot of time. Our team is eager." I thought he was going to do this on day one. "We're eager though to get the agencies and into the White House to gain a better assessment about where things really stand on managing the pandemic." Trump left you multiple vaccines. You're in much better shape.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hannity should be shot from a cannon into Tucker Carlson.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Now they don't have to pretend to lead read.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:55 pm Hannity is already griping that Biden is under performing on COVID-19. For real. It is a sound clip so I can't "quote it". He actually says that Biden promised to have this under control day 1.
Life is The Onion: "Biden FAILS at ending year-long pandemic in six hours!!"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

First daily press conference starts in 10 minutes. It's gonna be so weird to have someone actually answer questions.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:54 pm First daily press conference starts in 10 minutes. It's gonna be so weird to have someone actually answer questions.
There's no reason OANN or Newsmax should even have press credentials, right?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:37 pm
Plus, they can pretend to be conservatives again. Conservatives gonna conserve.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Siri just told me that Joe Biden is president of the US. :)
Holman

Post by Holman »

We're back in the Paris Climate Agreement!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This press conference is so boring.

I love it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:21 pm This press conference is so boring.

I love it.
It's surprisingly relaxing. It gives me a bit of peace of mind that I've been missing.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I know we keep joking about "the adults are in charge again" but it literally does feel like that. This press conference feels like walking into a college lecture after spending four years in a preschool.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

4 year old kids are going "Whats a press conference?"
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"