The Biden Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Jaymann

Re: The Biden Presidency Thread

Post by Jaymann »

And he removed the "Diet Coke" button which Dolt 45 would press to have a butler instantly deliver one on a silver platter. :roll:
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:53 pm And he removed the "Diet Coke" button which Dolt 45 would press to have a butler instantly deliver one on a silver platter. :roll:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

malchior wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:06 pm Nice response. If you can't hear the question from the reporter, Biden was asked if setting the bar at 100M vaccinations (in a 100 days) was "not high enough" considering the pandemic situation. Joe responded that the media told him it wasn't possible so knock it off. :lol:
I like that answer better than "That's a stupid question, you work for a stupid, failing news agency. It's fake news, fake news. We've got the best plans, I'm just not ready to share them with losers like you"
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Austin confirmed as Sec of Def, did not expect the Rs to miss this chance at hypocrisy.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:23 pm
I predict that website will shut down in a few months now that they have nothing to bitch about.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Or they'll just continue pointing out hypocrisy and corruption. Did you think Trump was the only bad actor during the last 4 years?
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I don't agree with Stimp. There are still plenty of R scum floating to the surface, and if Biden slips they will be on it like white on Hawley.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It'll be interesting to see where they pivot. They're not suddenly going to become liberal Democrats. I could see them staying together to try push the Trumpier elements out of the GOP, but they'll likely need to stop being so obviously pro-Biden if they want to have any real influence.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:00 pm It'll be interesting to see where they pivot. They're not suddenly going to become liberal Democrats. I could see them staying together to try push the Trumpier elements out of the GOP, but they'll likely need to stop being so obviously pro-Biden if they want to have any real influence.
There are ongoing debates within the anti-Trump conservative crowd about where they go from here. I think most of them would like to reclaim the Republican Party if they can, but I think they mostly (accurately) don't think that's likely to happen. I think most of them are going to wind up settling into the moderate wing of the Democratic Party for the foreseeable future.
Black Lives Matter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

El Guapo wrote:I think most of them are going to wind up settling into the moderate wing of the Democratic Party for the foreseeable future.
It's an extremely small sample set, but the handful of Lincoln Project supporting conservatives I know are going that route. A couple of them have even gone as far as to switch party affiliation.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

More anecdotal evidence - at least 2 of my GOP friends have announced that they're switching to Democrat. They aren't planning on getting any less politically involved, but they now feel that joining the Democrats and pulling them to the right is going to be more effective than sticking with the insane party.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:58 pm Or they'll just continue pointing out hypocrisy and corruption. Did you think Trump was the only bad actor during the last 4 years?
Yeah....because corruption in the government has only been going on for the past 4 years and only Repubs are the bad actors............
Show me 1 video they posted about ANY Democrat.

I'll wait........
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stessier

Post by stessier »

stimpy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:51 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:58 pm Or they'll just continue pointing out hypocrisy and corruption. Did you think Trump was the only bad actor during the last 4 years?
Yeah....because corruption in the government has only been going on for the past 4 years...........

I'll wait........
They are still conservatives. Now that the nuclear threat is out of the way, it's not inconceivable that they pick on both extremes.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

If you're against hypocrisy and corruption, it's best to be against it on both sides, otherwise what's the point?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:55 pm
Yeah....because corruption in the government has only been going on for the past 4 years...........

I'll wait........
They are still conservatives. Now that the nuclear threat is out of the way, it's not inconceivable that they pick on both extremes.
Yeah, they've been focused on Trump because he was the existential threat to the Republic. Though even now, they're clearly more focused on cleansing the GOP (since the Democrats have faults but still live within the realm of sanity for the most part) so I expect that they'll still focus on the GOP, but we'll see how they evolve.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah....because corruption in the government has only been going on for the past 4 years
crime has been going on for as long as i've been alive so why do we need cops?
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

stimpy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:57 pm If you're against hypocrisy and corruption, it's best to be against it on both sides, otherwise what's the point?
You don't really do well with shades of gray, do you?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:02 pm
Yeah....because corruption in the government has only been going on for the past 4 years
crime has been going on for as long as i've been alive so why do we need cops?
To keep doughnut shops in business, duh.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

stessier wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:04 pm
stimpy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:57 pm If you're against hypocrisy and corruption, it's best to be against it on both sides, otherwise what's the point?
You don't really do well with shades of gray, do you?
In some matters, yes. In some matters, no.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trumpers gonna Trump. :P
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Dafuq?
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton sued the Biden administration Friday to block the president’s 100-day “pause” on most deportations, alleging the move violates an agreement signed between the state and the Department of Homeland Security during the final days of President Donald Trump’s term.

Biden this week ordered a freeze on most deportations from the interior of the United States, saying his administration wants to reassess the operations of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and more narrowly focus the agency on immigrants who pose public safety and national security threats.

Paxton’s lawsuit claims the deportation freeze defies an agreement between Texas and DHS finalized Jan. 8 — less than two weeks before Trump left office — requiring the department to provide 180 days notice before making changes to immigration policy and enforcement practices.

Several legal scholars have described the DHS agreements with Texas and other states as highly unusual, and an attempt to stop Biden from undoing Trump’s immigration policies by effectively giving states veto power.

Whether the agreements can block Biden’s moves is unclear. Paxton’s suit claimed they are “binding and enforceable.”
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

With the recent change at the top, I now have more fuck bandwidth. Fuck Ken Paxton.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yeah....because corruption in the government has only been going on for the past 4 years and only Repubs are the bad actors............

I'll wait........
Yo Stimpy, I think the lady on the right is a Democrat. The wait is over!

Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Fretmute wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:04 pm With the recent change at the top, I now have more fuck bandwidth. Fuck Ken Paxton.
When do we get to start suing Ken Paxton? I have a very large bag of fucks here.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:45 pm

I'll wait........
Yo Stimpy, I think the lady on the right is a Democrat. The wait is over!

Yeah.....not quite.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Holman

Post by Holman »

I like the new Press Secretary.

She seems like a totally reasonable character from Parks & Recreation.

Trump's last seemed like she came from Frat Parties I Skipped While I Was Finishing My Honors Thesis.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:18 pm I like the new Press Secretary.

She seems like a totally reasonable character from Parks & Recreation.

Trump's last seemed like she came from Frat Parties I Skipped While I Was Finishing My Honors Thesis.
In the few clips I've seen she comes across as honest, competent, smart, and all-business. Since this administration won't be a revolving-door show, I look forward to watching her grow into the job.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If the article is true, then that tweet is barely even truthy, let alone true. The Chief Usher was a Trump employee who previously worked at a Trump property, so he wouldn't have been retained any longer than necessary, and apparently the butler staff was sent home, not fired.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I guess this thread can host Enemies, a Love Story: Inside the 36-year Biden and McConnell relationship.
The last time Joe Biden and Mitch McConnell faced off, Biden blinked first.

It was the winter of 2012. Then, as now, Democrats had just won a presidential election, had a narrow Senate majority, and Biden was earnestly proclaiming that the election would break the Republican “fever” of opposing the Democratic agenda.

The first test came immediately.

A cascade of deadlines on December 31, 2012, set up a world economy-level battle known as the “fiscal cliff.” Without any action by Congress, the next year would bring about $700 billion in combined tax hikes and budget cuts—extreme austerity measures that could cripple the recovering economy.

The Democratic Senate majority leader, Harry Reid, was willing to go over the cliff if McConnell didn’t agree to tax increases for the highest earners, one of Democrats’ signature campaign promises. Reid reasoned that if taxes were to rise automatically, McConnell would have to negotiate from a weakened position. Obama and Biden, however, feared an adverse reaction from the markets and a potential recession.

In a move that angered Reid, Biden took over the negotiations with Obama’s blessing. The outcome—a continuation of the Bush-era tax cuts with a relatively modest hike of 1.8 percent, weighted toward higher earners—was the kind of deal both negotiators could celebrate.

McConnell did, crowing to his fellow Republicans that “in a government controlled two-thirds by the Democrats, we got permanency for 99 percent of the Bush tax cuts.”

Biden did, boasting in a June 2019 debate that “I got Mitch McConnell to raise taxes $600 billion by raising the top rate.”

But many Democrats weren’t celebrating at all and still haven’t gotten over it. At the same 2019 debate, Sen. Michael Bennet of Colorado called it “a complete victory for the Tea Party. It extended the Bush tax cuts permanently. The Democratic Party had been running against that for 10 years.”
The story goes on about their long history and personal philosophies.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I just want to thank the 80m people who conspired with me to elect Joe and oust the tiny dick-tater.

I've been in a good mood for days now and I like the way it feels. I'm not elated that Joe's president, or that Democrats are running things - but I expect them to work to make the nation more engaged in a useful future for my kids than the GOP wants. I'm mostly just not worried that we have an unstable narcissist running the nation, stoking the flames of chaos and hatred for his own enjoyment and profit. I don't go to bed wondering what fresh hell I'll wake up to in the morning, or dread opening news sites to see what's happened today.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

First dogs Champ and Major moved into the White House

Major is the first shelter dog to live in the White House.
"The First Family wanted to get settled before bringing the dogs down to Washington from Delaware. Champ is enjoying his new dog bed by the fireplace, and Major loved running around on the South Lawn," First Lady Jill Biden's press secretary Michael LaRosa told CNN in a statement Monday.

The Bidens' dogs moving in marks a return to a longstanding tradition of Presidents and their families bringing their pets with them to the White House. Former President Donald Trump and his family did not have any pets for the four years they lived in the White House.
Well unless you count Rudy.

Enlarge Image
Holman

Post by Holman »

I adore Champ & Major, and I really wonder how it works. Is there an official WH dog handler?

There must be, because dogs make it difficult to do sustained work in proportion to how much they love you.

I want to hear that the Bidens have a couple of hours of dog time marked out throughout the day, but that there's an aide available to cover when a crisis occurs.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Jill Biden has also said she would "love to get a cat," telling Fox 5 in Washington, "I love having animals around the house."

White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Sunday she did not have an update about the cat.

"I'm also wondering about the cat, because the cat is going to dominate the internet whenever the cat is announced and wherever that cat is found," Psaki said in a Sunday evening video answering questions posed on Twitter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I had this dream last night that Joe Biden came over to my house before the election, and we were sitting around my kitchen table, talking strategy. Then after he was inaugurated, he came back over, and we were all slapping each other on the back, saying, "We did it! We did it!" Good times.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Tao

Post by Tao »

Biden signed an EO to put a moratorium on deportations for 100 days so that the new administration had time to assess the current situation and policies.

Federal Judge Blocks Biden's 100-Day Deportation Moratorium

The Judge was appointed almost exactly one year ago to the Southern District of Texas by Trump. I know we saw a good number of Judges shoot down Trump cases, McConnell's plan may now be working and the pendulum may be swinging the other way.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
malchior

Post by malchior »

FWIW - here is an argument that the TRO makes for dramatic headlines but doesn't mean much practically. FWIW I skimmed the TRO and Tipton completely sidestepped the whole DHS/Texas contract in his TRO decision. Which is smart because everyone (except Paxton and the derp nation) thinks it is essentially only useful as toilet paper.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

This is their big win? They couldn't overthrow democracy so they take it out on teh brown people. Kind of reminiscent of Florida Man executions on his way out the door.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

He/Him/His/Porcupine