Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by hentzau »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:01 pm My crokinole board arrived!

This was originally intended to be a Christmas present and my wife had forgotten all about it, so when it showed up at my door she was in instant "what the hell did you buy" mode. :D

However, she absolutely LOVED it and it was a big hit with the kids too. We wound up playing almost two hours. This is saying something because though my wife can be dragged into a board game on occasion, the kids almost never have the patience for it.
:wub:
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I received my Millennium Blades KS a couple of days ago and I made a detailed unboxing...

There are so many cards and the unboxing ended up taking an hour and a half :ninja: .

Reason why is simply because so many of the games have very funny names and/or art ^^.

One thing is for sure though I am NOT sleeving this game :mrgreen:

For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Tainted Grail due Friday, 34 lbs.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hope you enjoy it. The combat/diplomacy card game within the Choose Your Own Adventure style main narrative is a blast. The rest of it I enjoy too, but some folks think the Menhir mechanic in the first campaign is too tough. However, there are ways to make it easier right in the rulebook if you find that to be true.
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:25 pm 34 lbs
:shock:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And my collector's edition of Apex just arrived. Didn't receive a shipping notice, so that was a surprise. Heavy sucker.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:35 pm And my collector's edition of Apex just arrived. Didn't receive a shipping notice, so that was a surprise. Heavy sucker.
I hate Fun Again shipping; they are the worst.

I don't know if you're following the updates, but there have been reports of mis-cut cards and missing components. Very low chances, but definitely check everything and let them know if there are problems.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I've seen the comments on the kickstarter page. I'll go through it all tomorrow and see if I have everything. The size difference in the cards sounds like it affects everyone though. But since they don't shuffle into any other decks (from what I'm reading) it's just more of an annoyance for sleevers or those who notice such things. I reserve the right to come back here outraged though if this turns out not to be the case.

There is a heavy chemical smell inside the box, I will say. I wonder if that will cause any health iss..............................................................................................................................................................................
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:49 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:25 pm 34 lbs
:shock:
I went with one-wave delivery.

Image Image
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Just got my Dice Throne Adventure notice, which is great. Arrives next week just in time for me to be up from foot surgery to play it. Now only if my Tainted Grail notice would arrive...
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:42 pm Yeah, I've seen the comments on the kickstarter page. I'll go through it all tomorrow and see if I have everything. The size difference in the cards sounds like it affects everyone though. But since they don't shuffle into any other decks (from what I'm reading) it's just more of an annoyance for sleevers or those who notice such things. I reserve the right to come back here outraged though if this turns out not to be the case.

There is a heavy chemical smell inside the box, I will say. I wonder if that will cause any health iss..............................................................................................................................................................................
Did you also order the neoprene mats? If so, I'm curious to know how they shape up.

But like Smoove, I was less than enthused to learn FunAgain was handling shipments in the US. The latest Apex update indicates "Funagain's latest estimate is that it will take somewhere between 2-4 weeks until fulfillment is complete." Needless to say, I have not yet received a shipping notice either, so here's hoping my pledge at least shows up, preferably intact.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Nah, I didn't go for any bling. Just the straight up "all the cards" pledge.

In looking through some of the decks, I do notice some discoloration on the sides and a very slight size difference in some cards (Megalodon deck, for example). But I'll be honest: if someone hadn't told me to look for those defects, I probably would never have noticed them.

Hopefully this holds true for the rest of the box's contents.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol: and fun again just sent my shipping notice.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My Scale75 Instant Colors package is currently on day 49 since shipping, on day 25 since it cleared customs, and on day 20 since the last USPS update.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, I have to say, Apex the theropod deck building game has surprised me.

I had backed it on impulse after reading positive reviews of it as solo game. But after learning it took quite a bit of its mechanics from the Legendary deck builder franchise, I became a bit luke warm on it. I even intended to cancel my pledge at one point, but forgot to do so.

Cut to last night. After I organized it all, I set up a solo game with a velociraptor and some giant bird thing as the boss. Then I walked through the (mostly) serviceable manual that takes you through each step of the game (although I wish they'd integrated the card descriptions/instructions into the steps as I had to keep flipping around to figure out things that should have been associated with the step it supported). Takes a bit longer than most legendary games...but not much. You have to manually create 2 decks for yourself (an Apex deck and a draw deck) then about 5 decks for the main board (only the environment and hunt decks actually require much thought though).

I was well into my first turn when I realized the first two things that I really liked. The hatchery and the ambush mechanics. The former allows you to put special cards for your species into the "market" essentially. Which means each game will consist of a bit more customization than I usually see in a deck builder...something I really like. And the ambush mechanic allows you to stage up to 3 cards per turn for future hunts on your next turn(s)...with the caveat that if you pull an alert card during your draw phase, you're going to lose all of them.

Everything else is pretty much straight from Legendary. You have a hunt trail you can spend hunt points on to add the to your hoard, then an evolve market with evolution cards you can purchase with evolve points from cards in your hands and on hunted cards (after which, the hunted cards get sent to your den for scoring carnage points if you want to have a scoring system in addition to defeating the boss to win).

It all makes for a more thinky Legendary type game, in my opinion. Having to figure out ways to get cards into my hatchery that will help me when the boss appears (at which point you can run away and attempt it on a later turn, or fight to win), while also trying to get the right evolution cards to augment everything was a welcome addition to the deck building experience for me.

I've got 13 different dinos to play with, and each game only uses 20 of your dino's species cards, so I'm hoping this one has some real legs. But so far, I'm happy I stayed the course on this one.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:25 pm Tainted Grail due Friday, 34 lbs.
Delayed until Saturday.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Cant wait to play this!
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image Enlarge Image Enlarge Image Enlarge Image Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Apex was going to be delivered today, but with the massive snow event we're dealing with, I'm guessing it'll be coming Wednesday...
Anonymous Bosch

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:13 pm Apex was going to be delivered today, but with the massive snow event we're dealing with, I'm guessing it'll be coming Wednesday...
Youse and me both (well, not so much the massive snow event, but the timing of delivery). I'm quite looking forward to delving into some dino-themed escapism myself.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Apex was delivered. That's one heavy box. Going to sort the cards and see how bad the cuts are.

Doomrock Ultimate was just announced for KS, Q3 2021. It's a reprint with updated rules and revised elements. Looks to include new content and a bunch of old stuff that was hard to get a hold of. I love these types of KS projects.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:53 am Doomrock Ultimate was just announced for KS, Q3 2021

I am on that like stink on a skunk. That has been my most wished for kickstarter redux in the last 5 years. Assault on Doomrock is a fantastic game that should be on everyone's short list if they like dungeon crawlers that don't take themselves seriously and try to do something different.

Thanks! :wub:
Last edited by hepcat on Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah - it is in desperate need of a reprint. I still think it's pretty unique (tone, design) given everything else that's come out in the last 5+ years. I will also instantly back this.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love the list of changes in this new version.
Supersized and redesigned area cards
V4.0 rules
Updated and streamlined mechanics for taunting and stealth
Redesigned hero traits that mitigate randomness
Rebalanced content
Easy-to-use encounter AI sheets
Additional symbols to improve clarity
Improved UI
More questionable humor
In other news, Andrew Parks (the designer of the much loved Mage Knight Star Trek retheme, Star Trek Frontiers; and Dungeon Alliance) returns to one of his first games with two new entries in the Core Worlds setting.

I own the first Core Worlds and all the expansions and it's a fun little deck builder that tried to do something different at the time. But quite a few years, and quite a few new deck builders, have been released since. These two new games appear to be a grand strategy game set in that universe, and a solo expansion for the base game. I need to watch a few videos before I decide whether or not to jump on both or one of these.

edit: okay, the solo expansion is only 20 bucks (30 with shipping) so I'm jumping on that. It's a great way to get some play time out of all the stuff I have for the original game.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:43 pm My Scale75 Instant Colors package is currently on day 49 since shipping, on day 25 since it cleared customs, and on day 20 since the last USPS update.
They arrived today. It only took 57 days in transit, 28 of those with the USPS after it cleared customs with 'In Transit' as the only tracking info, one package search request, and one missing package report.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:43 pm My Scale75 Instant Colors package is currently on day 49 since shipping, on day 25 since it cleared customs, and on day 20 since the last USPS update.
They arrived today. It only took 57 days in transit, 28 of those with the USPS after it cleared customs with 'In Transit' as the only tracking info, one package search request, and one missing package report.
I used mine again this weekend. The water still stinks after use. Don’t let it sit overnight.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

hentzau wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:24 pm I used mine again this weekend. The water still stinks after use. Don’t let it sit overnight.
This is why you should drink it right away.
Anonymous Bosch

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:53 am Apex was delivered. That's one heavy box. Going to sort the cards and see how bad the cuts are.
Phew, I just got done taking inventory and sorting though all of my Apex Theropod:CE decks. Thankfully, I had no missing cards and the card sizes were all consistent without any damage or mis-cuts (as best I could tell without having done any sleeving, anyway). The neoprene game mats look terrific, too.

Anyway, I'm hoping to give it a whirl over the weekend and perhaps post an AAR in the solo gamers thread.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In my game last week after getting it, I didn't remember encountering any issues with card size mismatches. I did notice a slight difference in some of them after reading about them on BGG/kickstarter comments, but honestly I would never have noticed otherwise.

I still need to do a full inventory though. I should have done that initially.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sleeping Gods just arrived. This game looks absolutely amazing. It also includes a quick-start guide so the chances of this hitting the table next just went up considerably.

This was delayed for a while, both in content development and then I think Covid. I mention this only because I'm getting email after email from KS projects regarding delays - mostly right now tied to shipping issues. At this point I've just been unofficially estimating +3 months for everything, at least until whatever logjam that exists at the ports in China ends.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I did not see this coming:
The Witcher franchise is expanding with a new board game from team at Go on Board. The Witcher: Old World takes place long before the saga of Geralt of Rivia, and it’s being produced in partnership with CD Projekt Red. The project heads to Kickstarter in May, with delivery expected by April 2022. No price point has been announced. Those interested can sign up to be reminded once the crowdfunding campaign goes live.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:55 pm Sleeping Gods just arrived. This game looks absolutely amazing. It also includes a quick-start guide so the chances of this hitting the table next just went up considerably.

This was delayed for a while, both in content development and then I think Covid. I mention this only because I'm getting email after email from KS projects regarding delays - mostly right now tied to shipping issues. At this point I've just been unofficially estimating +3 months for everything, at least until whatever logjam that exists at the ports in China ends.
Let us know what you think of it after getting it on the table. I’m a fan of Ryan’s games and I can get the Kickstarter version at a FLGS near me if it’s worth it solo.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:23 pmLet us know what you think of it after getting it on the table. I’m a fan of Ryan’s games and I can get the Kickstarter version at a FLGS near me if it’s worth it solo.
I still need to sort and verify Apex, but Sleeping Gods is next. Anecdotally I've heard nothing but good things about Sleeping Gods as a solo game. I backed it blindly (never played one of his games), but this seemed like it had the potential to hit all the right notes.

If you're not a follower of the Dungeon Dive on Youtube, I'd recommend it. He's currently enamored with Sleeping Gods and has given a series of impressions already.

I've come to really enjoy his perspective and find myself thinking/observing many of the same things. After he convinced me to read Merkabah Rider, I've been a faithful viewer.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I apologize in advance for sharing.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've thus far resisted the Zombicide train, but if I was going to buy one it would probably be this. I love the Old West theme.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The hero model sculpts look really, really good.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Old west? Really? Dammit.

Thank goodness I'm actually too broke for temptation to come with any actual risk. If we can just delay the stimulus checks for another three weeks...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Different classes... urrr... these games, particularly the kickstarters take up sooo much space.

I think at $100+ shipping I can pass on it. On the other hand the kids really enjoyed the space one. I should get that out for them again and see.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

While I really want this, I need to remember how I owned both the Medieval one and the original and never played either. The gameplay is just a bit too simple for my tastes (Core Space, for example, is just as easy to play and has more going for it).

That said, I do love the theme. I sort of regret selling the Dark Ages one.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Is it me or are there way too many versions of tarot cards on Kickstarter?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds