The Biden Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

stessier

Re: The Biden Presidency Thread

Post by stessier »

stimpy wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:06 pm The change we needed?
Have you contacted your representatives to make sure they know you support the full $2k?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:40 pm I had this dream last night that Joe Biden came over to my house before the election, and we were sitting around my kitchen table, talking strategy. Then after he was inaugurated, he came back over, and we were all slapping each other on the back, saying, "We did it! We did it!" Good times.
At what point did the giant gorilla with the head of Trump start flinging its own dung at both of you?
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:55 am
Jaymann wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:40 pm I had this dream last night that Joe Biden came over to my house before the election, and we were sitting around my kitchen table, talking strategy. Then after he was inaugurated, he came back over, and we were all slapping each other on the back, saying, "We did it! We did it!" Good times.
At what point did the giant gorilla with the head of Trump start flinging its own dung at both of you?
That it probably the most bizarre part - Florida Man never once entered my consciousness!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Maintaining treaties instead of withdrawing from them seems like a radical departure from previous American foreign policy, but perhaps it's just crazy enough to work. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

New Start: US and Russia extend nuclear treaty
The US has extended the New Start nuclear arms control treaty with Russia for five years.

Announcing the move, Secretary of State Antony Blinken said it made the world safer.

President Joe Biden and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin reportedly discussed it by phone a week ago, and Mr Putin signed it into law on Friday.

The treaty had been set to lapse on 5 February, as the Trump administration had refused to approve the extension.

It had sought tougher verification procedures and some inclusion of tactical weapons, as well as an expansion of the deal to cover China.

New Start is the last remaining nuclear arms deal between Russia and the US, and its demise would have ended all limits on deployments of strategic nuclear warheads and delivery systems.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I think I read that in his first 30 days, Biden signed in more executive orders than Trump did in 4 years - though I'm willing to bet most of them were to reverse Trump's bullshit hatemongering through edict. It is very nice to have an effective leader at the top again.

I'm fairly sure he's already done more for Coronavirus planning than Trump ever did, and it feels like there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I genuinely feel for everyone who suffered because of Trump's idiocy, on both sides of the line. There was absolutely no need -ever- for the US to be the global leader in infections and deaths. All this proves that even remedial leadership could have saved hundreds of thousands of lives.

Another telling note: I had to scroll down halfway on the page to hunt for this thread. I don't think Trump's "presidency" thread ever got lower than the 4th or 5th spot.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Paingod wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:28 am I think I read that in his first 30 days, Biden signed in more executive orders than Trump did in 4 years - though I'm willing to bet most of them were to reverse Trump's bullshit hatemongering through edict. It is very nice to have an effective leader at the top again.
He's been President for less than 20 days, but according to this Trump signed 220 during his 4 years while Biden signed 29 so far.

According to this, 18 of Biden's were reversals.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Defiant wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:26 am
Paingod wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:28 am I think I read that in his first 30 days, Biden signed in more executive orders than Trump did in 4 years - though I'm willing to bet most of them were to reverse Trump's bullshit hatemongering through edict. It is very nice to have an effective leader at the top again.
He's been President for less than 20 days, but according to this Trump signed 220 during his 4 years while Biden signed 29 so far.

According to this, 18 of Biden's were reversals.
I posted a link to EOs by presidents not long ago. Biden was large compared to Trump who was immense compared to Obama. My findings were most of Trump's EOs were to go after Obama era legislation. Most of Biden's EOs were to combat the spread of COVID. Looking for the link now but my keyword search is failing me.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

My guess is that it was large for the first days or weeks. And yeah, I imagine it probably would have to be considering the state of the country after four years of Trump.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Found it
LordMortis wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:46 am It's a lot but the mass is directed at COVID response.

https://www.federalregister.gov/preside ... biden/2021

What DJT's opening salvo was smaller but in a "good" economy much more shotgun and aimed at attacking all things Obama

https://www.federalregister.gov/preside ... trump/2017

Who did very little in terms of EO as an opening salvo

https://www.federalregister.gov/preside ... obama/2009
Also Biden is up to 28. None of the last 10 were for COVID but they are often multiple EOs to address different aspects of the same thing. The last three were all addressing immigration reform, which is to examine Trump Era reform, which addressed Obama era reform...
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Maybe I dreamed that, then. :shock:
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm guessing he had most of them written up and printed before he ever set foot in office.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

A poll on Biden's executive actions

Of the 28 EA, only one has a net negative rating (expanding the cap on refugees), although another 8 have less than 50% support (but the % opposing is smaller). The rest all have greater than 50% support.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Vanity Fair
A White House official tried to quash a story about his relationship with a reporter by issuing threats and using derogatory language to another reporter pursuing it, according to two sources familiar with the incident. In a sympathetic profile Monday, People revealed that White House Deputy Press Secretary TJ Ducklo is dating Axios political reporter Alexi McCammond, who covered the Joe Biden campaign. But behind the scenes, Ducklo had previously lashed out at Politico reporter Tara Palmeri, who was reporting the story, exhibiting behavior that led to tense meetings between the Washington news outlet’s editors and senior White House officials.

After Vanity Fair published this account, the White House announced that Ducklo would be suspended for one week.

The confrontation began on Inauguration Day, January 20, after Palmeri, a coauthor of Politico’s Playbook, contacted McCammond for comment while one of her male colleagues left a message for Ducklo, according to the sources. Ducklo subsequently called a Playbook editor to object to the story, but was told to call the Playbook reporters with his concerns. But instead of calling the male reporter who initially contacted him, Ducklo tried to intimidate Palmeri by phone in an effort to kill the story. “I will destroy you,” Ducklo told her, according to the sources, adding that he would ruin her reputation if she published it.

During the off-the-record call, Ducklo made derogatory and misogynistic comments, accusing Palmeri of only reporting on his relationship—which, due to the ethics questions that factor into the relationship between a journalist and White House official, falls under the purview of her reporting beat—because she was “jealous” that an unidentified man in the past had “wanted to fuck” McCammond “and not you.” Ducklo also accused Palmeri of being “jealous” of his relationship with McCammond. (Palmeri had no prior relationship or communication with McCammond before calling her to report on the Playbook item, which was a story that she was assigned and had not independently pursued.)

The following day, an editor at Politico reached out to the White House about Ducklo’s threats, spurring multiple conversations between the news outlet and senior-level officials on January 21, including White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki, White House Communications Director Kate Bedingfield, and Biden senior adviser Anita Dunn. In one of those calls, senior White House officials acknowledged that Ducklo’s handling of the call with Palmeri was inappropriate and said he would send a note to her apologizing for the comments. In another conversation, the same White House officials took aim at Palmeri by accusing her of breaking an off-the-record agreement with Ducklo and pressing Politico as to why the contents of the call had been revealed. Palmeri had only informed her editors of the contents of the call, which she had transcribed into her notes as it was happening, after they asked her about it.

Palmeri declined to comment. Psaki and Ducklo did not immediately respond to requests for comment. After publication, Psaki issued a statement: “TJ Ducklo has apologized to the reporter, with whom he had a heated conversation about his personal life. He is the first to acknowledge this is not the standard of behavior set out by the President. In addition to his initial apology, he has sent the reporter a personal note expressing his profound regret. With the approval of the White House Chief of Staff, he has been placed on a one-week suspension without pay. In addition, when he returns, he will no longer be assigned to work with any reporters at Politico.”
Here's a note on the apology issued.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ducklo is out. Not exactly fired on the spot, but didn't take all that long.

Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm guessing Biden wasn't aware of it and Psaki might be in the doghouse.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Nice vetting. Obviously fake name.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:43 pm Nice vetting. Obviously fake name.
Well apparently he didn't duck low enough.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sheesh, I just read an article on Ducklo and his reporter girlfriend the other day that was intended to be uplifting and sweet. They covered his fight with lung cancer, which is supposedly what prompted her to profess her love for him and dump some other guy in order to be with him.

Doesn’t exactly seem like a hallmark card now. :shock:
Covfefe!
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Ducklo barely lasted two and half Scaramuccis.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Moat_Man wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:17 pm Ducklo barely lasted two and half Scaramuccis.
Ducklo and Scaramucci - that's just begging for a clever internet meme or gif.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Moat_Man wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:17 pm Ducklo barely lasted two and half Scaramuccis.
:clap:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i think a new system of measurement is being born
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

stimpy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:56 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:23 pm
I predict that website will shut down in a few months now that they have nothing to bitch about.
I think this is going to happen right on schedule.
Funny how once the "distraction" goes away the scum rises to the top....or floats to the bottom.
Glass houses and all that.....

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news/li ... 02750.html
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Is it really clear that America will be great again? Also, we REALLY need to define "great" in this increasingly common phrase. Drives me nuts!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stimpy wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:59 pm
I predict that website will shut down in a few months now that they have nothing to bitch about.
Funny how once the "distraction" goes away the scum rises to the top....or floats to the bottom.

They served their purpose in ousting Florida Man. There are still a few Repugnicans (Cruz, Hawley, McCarthy) on murderers row that need to be skewered, but likely a new group will rise from the ashes.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

stimpy wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:59 pm

I don’t think there was ever really any doubt that LP would implode at some point. The people running it are still Republicans, after all.

While I certainly appreciated some of their skewering of Trump and mostly agreed with their messaging, they have always been in the “enemy of my enemy” territory.

They helped to create the monster, so let’s not go overboard in praising them for doing a little bit to fight it while simultaneously lining their own pockets.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Ugh. What is Biden's dog thinking here? Wearing a tan suit, really?

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Stuff like that, and BS that his loving relationship with Jill is fake, actually makes me relax. They got nothin'.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So they are attacking him for having a disheveled rescue dog that is not presidential?

Their guy makes a mockery of everything presidential for four years including the sanctity of the vote and their "reporting" in Biden is "I love dogs, but Biden doesn't know how to take care of a rescue dog. It's dirty." It's a good day.
Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:56 pm So they are attacking him for having a disheveled rescue dog that is not presidential?

Their guy makes a mockery of everything presidential for four years including the sanctity of the vote and their "reporting" in Biden is "I love dogs, but Biden doesn't know how to take care of a rescue dog. It's dirty." It's a good day.
Even worse, they're not attacking the rescue dog (who is young and sleek). They're attacking the other dog, who is mostly blind and somewhat lame and is as perfect as a gorgeous, much-loved fourteen-year-old dog can be.

Never trust anyone who attacks dogs.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Republicans are so hypocritical for opposing Biden's OMB nominee because of her tweets, because whenever asked, they said they never read or pay attention to Trump's tweets. She's not fit to lead because of some of her tweets but Trump is?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Grifman wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:23 am Republicans are so hypocritical for opposing Biden's OMB nominee because of her tweets, because whenever asked, they said they never read or pay attention to Trump's tweets. She's not fit to lead because of some of her tweets but Trump is?
It's hypocritical a f, but what did you expect. The lesson is of course, never slam any enemies or allies, even in "private" and especially not in public. No good will ever come of it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:42 am
Grifman wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:23 am Republicans are so hypocritical for opposing Biden's OMB nominee because of her tweets, because whenever asked, they said they never read or pay attention to Trump's tweets. She's not fit to lead because of some of her tweets but Trump is?
It's hypocritical a f, but what did you expect. The lesson is of course, never slam any enemies or allies, even in "private" and especially not in public. No good will ever come of it.
It's idiotic partisanship at work. Moderate Republicans can vote for non-controversial Biden appointees, as long as they don't put them over the top for confirmation (e.g., as long as every Democrat is supporting them). Democrats are largely happy to support, but Manchin needs at least one no vote to avoid a "Manchin supported 100% of Biden's nominees" attacking point in his reelection campaign. Kind of surprised that Tester hasn't created more of a stink (but then I think MT is at least marginally less red than WV).

But no one can say their actual reasons for voting, so we're stuck with this insultingly stupid "mean tweets" argument.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:45 amBut no one can say their actual reasons for voting, so we're stuck with this insultingly stupid "mean tweets" argument.
While Manchin has now opened himself up to present-day questioning of some of his votes for Trump appointees who were worse and the whiff of sexism around this whole affair. But it probably doesn't matter to him much since that won't affect him back home.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:51 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:45 amBut no one can say their actual reasons for voting, so we're stuck with this insultingly stupid "mean tweets" argument.
While Manchin has now opened himself up to present-day questioning of some of his votes for Trump appointees who were worse and the whiff of sexism around this whole affair. But it probably doesn't matter to him much since that won't affect him back home.
Yeah I hate to say it, but I assume that the fact that Tanden is an outspoken POC is probably a political benefit for Manchin. Not that Manchin necessarily cares, but in terms of picking a target to oppose that'll be of maximum benefit for his reelection, it probably helps.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

But now the hullabaloo is that Manchin might also vote no on the Deb Haaland nomination to the Interior Department. So he votes yes on Kavanaugh, Jeff Session, etc., but doesn't want to vote for these two nominees. What ever could be the pattern here??? :think:
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:14 pm But now the hullabaloo is that Manchin might also vote no on the Deb Haaland nomination to the Interior Department. So he votes yes on Kavanaugh, Jeff Session, etc., but doesn't want to vote for these two nominees. What ever could be the pattern here??? :think:
There are a few and none of them are good.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Joe Biden poses with 'first dogs' Champ and Major in the Oval Office
The dogs aren't only just resting and relaxing on the Oval Office rug, they're also observing meetings. The White House Flickr account shared a shot of Champ taking some mental notes as Biden met with senior advisers on Feb. 9.
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:14 pm But now the hullabaloo is that Manchin might also vote no on the Deb Haaland nomination to the Interior Department. So he votes yes on Kavanaugh, Jeff Session, etc., but doesn't want to vote for these two nominees. What ever could be the pattern here??? :think:
Why does he caucus and run as a democrat? Is he still more democrat than GOP?