[Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Isgrimnur

Re: [Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

Post by Isgrimnur »

:shock: :clap:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Amazing work. Great job! Now you can play the game.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

hentzau wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:22 pm Amazing work. Great job! Now you can play the game.
Yeah, I think that's tonight game, in fact. And of course, someone on BGG suggested white washing the transparent ghosts and orange washing the flames. That (should I think it's a good idea) wouldn't take long.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, that's an amazing accomplishment. Awesome job.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

I also pushed through as I got my notice that Marvel United is on its way. I have a bunch of chibi superheroes in my near future....
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Oh neat, Greenbrier games just announced a Kickstarter for Folklore 2, which apparently is better than the original in every way with all new miniatures that you use instead of the ones in the original game.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

wonderpug wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:35 pm Oh neat, Greenbrier games just announced a Kickstarter for Folklore 2, which apparently is better than the original in every way with all new miniatures that you use instead of the ones in the original game.
Ha!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just backed it. Greenbrier Games is on a roll!
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tonight’s work…

“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

I love that first one. What are these from?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Malificent wrote:I love that first one. What are these from?
Pulp Alley minis.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

They also do great Bond villains.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tonight’s work…

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tonight’s work…

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tonight’s work…

Malificent

Post by Malificent »

First of the Marvel United heroes. Hulk came out...fine? First time trying to paint in a comic book exaggerated style (ala Epic Duck). It looks fine on the tabletop and was good for a first shot but I have a lot of room to improve. Going to try doing Adam Warlock in a more traditional way (zenithal priming, for example, as versus the pure white for Hulk) and see how I feel afterwards. I'm feeling uncomfortable, so it probably means I'm pushing myself the correct amount.

Malificent

Post by Malificent »

More Marvel United. I'm going to back their X-Men kickstarter simply because I'm having so much fan painting these minis.

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tonight’s work…

Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Black Widow...

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tonight’s work…

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Looks like Captain Nemo!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

AWS260 wrote:Looks like Captain Nemo!
His name is Ramjeet, and he’s sidekick and right-hand man to Minerva (of Minerva’s Mercenaries fame.)

Maybe I’ll try and get to Minerva tonight.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

hentzau wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:35 am
His name is Ramjeet, and he’s sidekick and right-hand man to Minerva (of Minerva’s Mercenaries fame.)

Is the gal with the scimitar flipping someone off?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Fardaza wrote:
hentzau wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:35 am

Is the gal with the scimitar flipping someone off?
No, she’s doing a Neo gesture with only 2 fingers.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Just wanted to say I love the color schemes that you've chosen for these minis.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Malificent wrote:Just wanted to say I love the color schemes that you've chosen for these minis.
Thanks. I always struggle with color choice/theory.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

This looks better on the table than it does in pictures, but I think it looks pretty decent even in pictures. Continuing to love painting these. I painted this with an underlayer of metallics on all pieces, then colored over with some thin colors, then black ink for the separation. Feels weird not using washes, but good practice.

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

He looks great!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I’ve gotten some great results with contrast paints over metallics. Like peanut butter and chocolate.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

So I did some speed priming of my core Zombicide figs yesterday, taking advantage of the weather (today is colder and rain is expected). For kicks and fun I decided to try zenithal spray priming on the survivor figs since there were only 13 or so of them vs a ridiculous number of zombies. I'd like to get your opinions on dipping vs brushing the quickshade on the zombies. I bought a can of Army Painter strong tone quickshade since I have expansions to eventually wash along with the huge Zombicide reboot box. Dipping would obviously be quick but I don't mind spending a little more time brushing the quickshade varnish on since that's pretty mindless. I'll probably do a comparison myself but I do enjoy reading the opinion of folks on the forum. I liked my first foray into zenithal priming even though I got some inconsistent results the first time around. I chalk that up to just starting out and I could always touch up some of the figs, or not since they're good enough to play with. Also I could start to talk myself into looking at airbrushes but that way lies madness...(for now). I think for the expansion sets, I'm going to try doing zenithal priming on the Abominations since I think that can really make them pop and it's fun to experiment. Here's a pic of the primed figs. The good thing about having primer on the Survivors and Zombies is that I can paint them in the future. Instead of going all in and doing a complete paint job on the Survivors I may just paint the weapons to have that extra detail standing out and catching your eye.

Enlarge Image

(Army Painter necrotic flesh for the dead, Army Painter matte black then Citadel seer gray for the living)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Forbidden hors d'oeuvres
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:51 am Forbidden hors d'oeuvres
In this case, the hors d’oeuvres eat...you.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tonight’s work…

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Damn…

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The cleric rolled a natural 20, eh?
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Lord help me, I am investing in an airbrush. I chose an Iwata HP-CS and a No-Name Brand fairly standard compressor.

If I am only planning to use acrylic paint, what are people's views on getting a paint booth? Since this is my office, I am leaning toward yes, purely to avoid getting paint on electronics. Any thoughts on a good one?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Some carnival booths I threw together out of chipboard last night.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

baelthazar wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:58 pm Lord help me, I am investing in an airbrush. I chose an Iwata HP-CS and a No-Name Brand fairly standard compressor.

If I am only planning to use acrylic paint, what are people's views on getting a paint booth? Since this is my office, I am leaning toward yes, purely to avoid getting paint on electronics. Any thoughts on a good one?
Make sure you get a respirator if you're doing it inside. Acrylic isn't toxic, but breathing in atomized particles of it isn't safe, either. Also get yourself a set of cleaning tools, some thinner, and a bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol (even Walmart carries this.) I can't speak to the paint booth, unfortunately, as I don't have one myself. Mine is just a fold-up plastic and cardboard deal (the construction is similar to a binder that folds up to three sides and a bottom, held together with velcro.)

Also, you'll be able to use the best primer out there: Badger Stynlrez. This pack will keep you going for a long time.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I am getting the urge to paint again! I really want rejigger my painting area first, though. As it is now, I end up with about one square foot of actual painting space on my desk, mostly due to all of my paint being stored on top of it.

I need to change that.

First, a paint culling. Similar colors that are redundant and never used, old paint, and duplicates need go away.

Second, I need to learn how to actually drill into brick to mount some rails on the wall so that I can attach my paint racks up there rather than having them on the desk itself.

Third, I need to reconsider what tools and supplies I really need on the desk rather than in storage.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »