Yahoo: John Ashcroft seems he will step down from AG

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Who will be the next Bush Secretary to step down?

Colin Powell
59%
Condy Rice
5%
Tom Ridge
14%
Donald Rumsfeld
22%

Total votes: 63

Yankeeman84

Yahoo: John Ashcroft seems he will step down from AG

Post by Yankeeman84 »

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... 2&ncid=716

Oh, there is a God!

You all will never know how much I hate that mother fucker!!!!! :twisted:
XBox Live Gamertag: Yankeeman84

GO HOKIES!!!

Virginia Tech Department of History
Mr. Sparkle

Re: Yahoo: John Ashcroft seems he will step down from AG

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Yankeeman84 wrote: You all will never know how much I hate that mother fucker!!!!! :twisted:
I know that it can't be as much as me.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Maybe we'll get to see Lady Justice's breasts again. ;)
Eightball

Post by Eightball »

Good news. I guess he was tired of being the named party in multiple lawsuits.

Now if only Rumsfeld would follow...

ty ND
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

This was disappointing to see in print though:
Mindel said Giuliani is committed to the success of his business and government consulting firm.
I hope he's just playing hard to get... you know he wants it.
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

I hope Rudy gets it. I think he would do a good job and pick up some Washington experience so he can run in 2008.

Look at the bright side, he can't do any worse than Ashcroft! :)
XBox Live Gamertag: Yankeeman84

GO HOKIES!!!

Virginia Tech Department of History
CSL

Post by CSL »

Yay! Bye-bye Ashcroft.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Eightball wrote:Good news. I guess he was tired of being the named party in multiple lawsuits.

Now if only Ashcroft would follow...
I assume you mean Rumsfeld?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Eightball

Post by Eightball »

noxiousdog wrote: I assume you mean Rumsfeld?
I've got Ashcroft on my miiiiiinnd.

Yeah, thanks ND.
Papageno

Post by Papageno »

My fervent hope is that suddenly Rumsfeld "wants to spend more time with his family." He and Wolfowitz and Feith.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I don't have anything really against Ashcroft (I think the Patriot Act restrictions have been way overblown by the left), but I will be happy if he steps down, along with Rummy. Bush will never be able to "reach across the aisle" while he has such polarizing figures in his cabinet.

Bush assembling a "kinder, gentler" cabinet would probably be the best move he could make right now.
Guy Incognito

Post by Guy Incognito »

Bush assembling a "kinder, gentler" cabinet would probably be the best move he could make right now.
Agreed. Ashcroft is a good first step, hopefully more will follow.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

YellowKing wrote:I don't have anything really against Ashcroft (I think the Patriot Act restrictions have been way overblown by the left), but I will be happy if he steps down, along with Rummy.
The potential for abusing the Patriot Act is chilling because we're not necessarily going to KNOW when it happens. As an example, my wife used to work at an ISP that the Feds raided using the Patriot Act. They pulled whole accounts and logs for certain customers, and cannot tell the affected customers that it happened. The only thing that made things tolerable was the government was mostly spying on itself -- it turned out that a majority of the data pulled was on governmental agencies they have as clients. Still, it seems un-American to be under investigation and never have a chance to respond or clear your name.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Yankeeman84 wrote:I hope Rudy gets it. I think he would do a good job and pick up some Washington experience so he can run in 2008.
I don't think Rudy would win. Americans have a short attention span, but when they do remember they remember only one thing. Giuliani will always be remembered as "America's Mayor", but that's all he'll be remembered for.
jblank

Post by jblank »

I like Rudy, and would vote for him if he were opposing Hillary Clinton, but like Dirt, I dont know if he is electable, nor do I believe he is experienced enough (yet). If Bush gives him A.G, that would help, but right now, I dont believe that Mayor of New York, even though its a difficult job, prepares you enough to be President. I do like his moderate stances though, nice to see a Republican that doesnt feel beholden to the extreme right of the party.
"Ju tell yo fren ah keel a communiss foh fuhn...buh foh a green cahd, ah cahrv heem up reel nass"
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

YellowKing wrote:I don't have anything really against Ashcroft (I think the Patriot Act restrictions have been way overblown by the left), but I will be happy if he steps down, along with Rummy. Bush will never be able to "reach across the aisle" while he has such polarizing figures in his cabinet.

I for one hope he names even MORE conservatives to these posts. I hope he bends the entire left and the country to our will..... :twisted:

And yes, I'm just kidding.

Edit: Well, at least about the bending everyone to our will bit.... ;)
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

In a cliché move on my part, I've always considered Rudy a fascist. I bet I'd be easy to prove wrong in my assumption, but it is there and it isn't going anywhere.
I despise the man.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Powell will be the next to resign. Rummy will be gone once the exorcism is completed. :wink:
Black Lives Matter
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Powell just never seemed to fit in there, I think.

Besides, if Rumsfeld leaves, then we won't have any more of the Poetry of Donald Rumsfeld.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

jblank wrote:I dont believe that Mayor of New York, even though its a difficult job, prepares you enough to be President.
New York City population governed by Mayor Giuliani, 2000: 8,008,278.

Conservative estimate of municipal employees, New York City, 2001: 250,000.

Arkansas population governed by Governor Mike Huckabee, 2000: 2,673,400.

Number of government employees, Arkansas, 2004: 202,800.

Total population governed by Average Senator, 2000: 0.

Average Senator's full-time staff, 2000: 34.

Of course if Giuliani entertains presidential ambitions it would be unconscionable for him to take the attorney general's position. For appearance's sake if nothing else.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Tareeq wrote: Of course if Giuliani entertains presidential ambitions it would be unconscionable for him to take the attorney general's position. For appearance's sake if nothing else.
Why? Not to be argumentative, but I don't understand this. Why would running for President while AG be any better or worse than running as a sitting senator or VP?
Gebeker

Post by Gebeker »

YellowKing wrote:I don't have anything really against Ashcroft (I think the Patriot Act restrictions have been way overblown by the left), but I will be happy if he steps down, along with Rummy. Bush will never be able to "reach across the aisle" while he has such polarizing figures in his cabinet.

I agree that Bush would do himself, the republican party, and this country a great service by appointing some less offensive persons to his cabinet. People like Ashcroft make me go from simply disagreeing with Bush to wanting to devote my every waking moment to working for the Democratic party. I don't know if I've ever hated a public figure as much as I do John Ashcroft, and I don't think I'm alone on that.
Gebeker

Post by Gebeker »

Zarathud wrote:
YellowKing wrote:I don't have anything really against Ashcroft (I think the Patriot Act restrictions have been way overblown by the left), but I will be happy if he steps down, along with Rummy.
The potential for abusing the Patriot Act is chilling because we're not necessarily going to KNOW when it happens. As an example, my wife used to work at an ISP that the Feds raided using the Patriot Act. They pulled whole accounts and logs for certain customers, and cannot tell the affected customers that it happened. The only thing that made things tolerable was the government was mostly spying on itself -- it turned out that a majority of the data pulled was on governmental agencies they have as clients. Still, it seems un-American to be under investigation and never have a chance to respond or clear your name.
Yep, that's one of the major things that bothers me about the Patriot Act. History tells us that power inevitably corrupts. The reason that our government is far less corrupt than most governments is because we have a careful system of checks and balances in place to prevent abuse of power. Allowing the government to force a private business or library to turn their records over to the government with no search warrant, while forbidding said business or library from complaining publically about it is a recipe for abuse.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Biyobi wrote:Powell will be the next to resign. Rummy will be gone once the exorcism is completed. :wink:
You cannot stand against my power, fool!

Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
jblank

Post by jblank »

Tareeq wrote:
jblank wrote:I dont believe that Mayor of New York, even though its a difficult job, prepares you enough to be President.
New York City population governed by Mayor Giuliani, 2000: 8,008,278.

Conservative estimate of municipal employees, New York City, 2001: 250,000.

Arkansas population governed by Governor Mike Huckabee, 2000: 2,673,400.

Number of government employees, Arkansas, 2004: 202,800.

Total population governed by Average Senator, 2000: 0.

Average Senator's full-time staff, 2000: 34.

Of course if Giuliani entertains presidential ambitions it would be unconscionable for him to take the attorney general's position. For appearance's sake if nothing else.
Actually, population wasnt one of the factors in me taking that position.
"Ju tell yo fren ah keel a communiss foh fuhn...buh foh a green cahd, ah cahrv heem up reel nass"