New mouse time

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rumpy

Re: New mouse time

Post by Rumpy »

gilraen wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:46 pm
Rumpy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:24 am Good mouse wheels are underrated. My previous mouse wheel was amazing. It just seems these manufacturers don't count a good mouse wheel as a feature. The mouse wheel on the MX 518 makes me hesitate whenever I click the wheel. It doesn't feel great and makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong to it.
I've been using MX510 for years now. I have 2 of them - one for personal computer, one for work. The one used for the personal computer (gaming) - the scrolling wheel doesn't click properly anymore. It will register sometimes but only when the wheel is in some specific position (it's friction scrolling). So I switched the two, so I use the with the broken wheel for work. I also try to map all my gaming stuff now so it uses the wheel click as little as possible.

I've tried using a Havic vertical mouse, which helped with some wrist overuse pain issues on the outside of the wrist but cause other pain issues on the inside. So I'm mostly just sticking with the Logitechs.
My problem with Logitech's friction scrolling is that it doesn't feel smooth. It feels more like something an older mouse would begin to do, not a new one.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
prodigit33

Post by prodigit33 »

good information...about spam!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Didn't really like how the MX 518 fit with my hand. Its profile had too much of an arc for them, and it would the glossy finish get sticky via regular use (Get your minds out of the gutter, guys!"). With stores having opened back up on Friday, I went into Best Buy today and picked up a Corsair Katar Pro XT. Much better mouse, IMHO. Its slimmer profile feels more comfortable, and it's got a really nice long braided cord.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been having some ulnar nerve problems lately (likely cubital tunnel.) I've decided to try an Anker wireless vertical mouse with my laptop to take some of the pressure off of the nerves from using a traditional mouse. I'm still using a traditional mouse on my gaming system, but I have more control over my ergonomics at my desk than when I'm sitting in my recliner with a chair-arm mouspad. In the recliner I just can't move my arm far enough forward without running out of arm rest, and the 90-degree angle plus the wrist twist isn't doing me any favors. It's not the source of the problem (I think it is mostly cause by my sleeping position - I'm a side sleeper and fold my arm under my head), but it's one of the things that's aggravating it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kraken wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:35 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:07 pm I still swear by the Logitech MX Master 3.
I'll look at that, thanks. My company will definitely buy it for me.
Kraken Enterprises bought me this mouse and I've been using it for a week. It's definitely a nice-feeling mouse, very responsive and precise. IDK if it was worth $100, but I haven't tried any of its advanced features. If I'm still happy with it a few years from now, it was worth the bucks.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thumb press task switching is awesome, as is forward/back navigation with the small buttons.

I'm glad, at least to start, that I didn't steer you wrong.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I need to avoid booking a profit for tax reasons, so expenses are welcome at this point. I think the company needs to spend some of its untaxed dollars on a monitor and keyboard next. I basically want to turn my laptop into a desktop...but not in the mouse thread.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:56 am
hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:52 pm 20 months later, the OMEN mouse is still working just fine - no problems and it's comfortable enough. i am considering taking it apart to remove/disable the red LED.
34 months from purchase (has it been almost three years now?? i guess so), some of the texturized rubber where my thumb usually rests is worn down, but the mouse still operates like new - this is how peripherals should be, compared to that Razer piece of crap that died in eight months.
finally downloaded the control software for this mouse. found out you can change the lighting color and effects, so i chose a purple/green combination and turned the brightness waaaaay down. also found that there was a firmware update for it - that's a first (i was at first shocked because after the update and unplugging/replugging, the mouse completely stopped working. another plugging cycle fixed that.)
Network

Post by Network »

I'm a lousy spammer who likes to spam!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yeah, but what does a bot need a mouse for? Anyway, I like a USB mouse so I don't have to replace batteries. Got one from Bezos for about $5. Funny that it costs less than a mocha latte.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:15 am Anyway, I like a USB mouse so I don't have to replace batteries.
Don't underestimate modern batteries. I game a lot of hours, and my wireless just needs plugged in once per week for about an hour. I'll take a break to run an errand, plug it in before I go, and it's charged for another week before I get back.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:17 am
Jaymann wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:15 am Anyway, I like a USB mouse so I don't have to replace batteries.
Don't underestimate modern batteries. I game a lot of hours, and my wireless just needs plugged in once per week for about an hour. I'll take a break to run an errand, plug it in before I go, and it's charged for another week before I get back.
Is that a rechargeable battery or built into the mouse?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive had both types of wireless mice over the years. Both recharged by using a cradle and later just a USB..never had to take out the batteries even when they were AA rechargeable. I own a corded one right now..my last wireless was maybe 2017. Even back as early as 2007 my mouse stayed charged 1 or 2 days . At night I just sat it on the charge cradle. Then newer mice didn't need that cradle...they had mini or micro USB and you could use them while you charged them.

As said the new stuff must be even better.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Built in, and it's three years old at this point, so it's not like the battery is going to get weak in a month. Admittedly, it's a higher end mouse (it's a G-Pro Wireless, currently at $107), but it remains that wireless mice aren't what they once were. Even my laptop mouse, which is a good quality Logitech wireless gaming mouse (a G602, and less than $50 new when I bought it) uses regular rechargeable batteries, and when I was gaming on the laptop regularly I was only having to swap the batteries once every six weeks or so.

The days of having to swap batteries every few days are long gone, and plugging my mouse in or swapping a battery once every month and a half is worth not having to deal with the cord clutter and drag (even with a mouse bungee to keep it out of the way), and having the freedom to move the thing around when I want to. Also gone are the days when rechargeable mice weighed as much as a small car. Mine is 80 grams.

That doesn't mean that people shouldn't use corded if they want to - just that the technology has come a long way, and isn't as much of a hassle as it used to be.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya back 2016/2017 I did not want to go back t oa cord. Really was spoiled. But I got 2 corded mice and have enjoyed both. The cord does catch and drag some and even braided it needs cleaned near the mouse as it drags up fuzz. But I got used to it pretty fast. I can use either now. Hope I dont need a mouse for a long long long time.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

For my desktop I got USB extensions for my mouse and my keyboard. Really helps with plenty of slack.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:03 pm Built in, and it's three years old at this point, so it's not like the battery is going to get weak in a month. Admittedly, it's a higher end mouse (it's a G-Pro Wireless, currently at $107), but it remains that wireless mice aren't what they once were. Even my laptop mouse, which is a good quality Logitech wireless gaming mouse (a G602, and less than $50 new when I bought it) uses regular rechargeable batteries, and when I was gaming on the laptop regularly I was only having to swap the batteries once every six weeks or so.

The days of having to swap batteries every few days are long gone, and plugging my mouse in or swapping a battery once every month and a half is worth not having to deal with the cord clutter and drag (even with a mouse bungee to keep it out of the way), and having the freedom to move the thing around when I want to. Also gone are the days when rechargeable mice weighed as much as a small car. Mine is 80 grams.

That doesn't mean that people shouldn't use corded if they want to - just that the technology has come a long way, and isn't as much of a hassle as it used to be.
It's pricy, but the G502 lightspeed with the charging mousepad gives one a great wireless mouse that is always charged up. I've been using it for a couple of years and it's been fantastic.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am having some problems with my G500S. The main mouse button is not always staying depressed. It's adding phantom clicks sometimes. And the scroll wheel is behaving a bit weirdly, but that may be due to its design. It has a plastic wheel with a center piece of rubber band for traction. I never looked at it too closely and now I realized the center rubber seems to have gotten loose. That would explain why the wheel wasn't always tracking, but only in one direction.

I have a weird skin chemistry that seems to react badly with rubber. Stuff made of rubber gets distorted and just warp out of shape if I touch it a lot. I've destroyed at least one Otter Defender case as it has this "spongey" outer layer that later just no longer fit over the inner plastic shell.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If you take medicines it could be some or one of those.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:49 am I have a weird skin chemistry that seems to react badly with rubber. Stuff made of rubber gets distorted and just warp out of shape if I touch it a lot. I've destroyed at least one Otter Defender case as it has this "spongey" outer layer that later just no longer fit over the inner plastic shell.
We finally get mutants in this world, and it's rubber warping man. :wink:
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Ive got a logitech M705 for work, it uses AA, I only replace those maybe every 6 or 9 months, and I use that thing a lot.

I have purchased a few inexpensive mice by TECKNET, and they are pretty dang good. They use AA, and seem to last about forever. The kid plays hours and hours of roblox every day, and we replaced the batteries only once in the past year. have not yet changed the batteries for the school machine this year or last year.

Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

my parents were really big fans of buying wireless mice for some reason... there are quite a few around their house. they finally settled on Logitech M510 models (tho dad still likes to complain about the double-click issue) but not before going through several no-name cheapies and tiny Microsoft models.

two of the cheapies will actually disconnect when the mouse goes to sleep (idle for five minutes) and would not reconnect - you need to power-cycle the mouse for it to be recognized by the USB wireless adapter again.. that's just inexcusable.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My MX Master 3 held its first charge for so long that I forgot it was rechargeable and spent several minutes trying to open it up to replace the nonexistent batteries.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:59 pm My MX Master 3 held its first charge for so long that I forgot it was rechargeable and spent several minutes trying to open it up to replace the nonexistent batteries.
:dance:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

After going through several gaming mice because of phantom doubleclicking issues with the main buttons, I decided to not buy any expensive gaming mouse. Recently I noticed that there are now several mice that use optical or optomechanical switches for the buttons. Does that mean no more phantom double click problem? Are the buttons much more durable and last longer than those without optical switches.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Have you given track balls consideration?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Victoria Raverna

Trackballs are not going to solve the problem with phantom double click issues. The problem is because of the button's switches not the ball or optical sensor that track the movement of the mice.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

That and trackballs are infernal torture devices that exist solely to make my hand cramp.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

In that case maybe there's something that can help in your mouse settings.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The bad clicker switch is a common and well-known problem with gaming mice. Settings aren't going to fix the issue. It's simply tough to come up with a physical switch that can take hundreds of thousands of clicks a year (a heavy gamer playing eight hours per day can easily hit 1-1.5 million clicks per year) without developing issues.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:17 pm The bad clicker switch is a common and well-known problem with gaming mice. Settings aren't going to fix the issue. It's simply tough to come up with a physical switch that can take hundreds of thousands of clicks a year (a heavy gamer playing eight hours per day can easily hit 1-1.5 million clicks per year) without developing issues.
or in the case of Razer, maybe a few thousand

lollll
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Had multiple Logitech mice start doing the double click. Looking into it it seemed to be a spring in it. There was a DIY fix but never tried it. Funnily enough the last mouse that started that double click crap ended up I couldn't afford to replace it for a while so had to keep using it and one day it cleared up all on its own. Somehow. So dont know if that time if was a spring or what or how it fixed itself. Swore Id stop using Logitech stuff...seemed they had gone down hill in quality over the years....headsets would fall apart on their own, mice double clicked, keyboards didn't glow bright, speakers would fail. But Ive been using a Logi mouse for years now ok. Think its called the G 502 Proteus Core or something RGB.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm using a Logitech mouse and headset, and they've been solid. It's the best mouse I've owned, performance wise.
hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:00 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:17 pm The bad clicker switch is a common and well-known problem with gaming mice. Settings aren't going to fix the issue. It's simply tough to come up with a physical switch that can take hundreds of thousands of clicks a year (a heavy gamer playing eight hours per day can easily hit 1-1.5 million clicks per year) without developing issues.

lollll
You're being generous. I've seen refurbished Razer mice that had the problem out of the box. Twice.
Victoria Raverna

lollll
Logitech, too. Hyper-X, too.

I don't think this is a quality problem with a specific brand.

Now my question is if optical switches or optical-mechanical switches solve that problem.

Can we trust their durability claim now? WIth the normal switches, they claimed that they last for over 10-50 million clicks but I'm sure all my mice with the problems were far under that. I use game controllers more than mouse when playing PC games.
Victoria Raverna

Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:10 pm Funnily enough the last mouse that started that double click crap ended up I couldn't afford to replace it for a while so had to keep using it and one day it cleared up all on its own. Somehow. So dont know if that time if was a spring or what or how it fixed itself.
Maybe because of dirt or dust. My XBOX controller had several problem with the RB/LB buttons that caused by broken plastic parts which I replaced twice with 3rd party spare parts. One time I had a sticky RB problem after replacing the broken plastic part. I thought I need to replace it because it is a switch problem and I don't have the soldering skill to replace switches. Then I thought maybe it was just dirt, so I clean the switches with monitor cleaning spray that I have and wait for it to dry before using. After that the button is back normal again. So maybe next time if your mice have sticky or double click problem, try to clean the switches.

As for G502, I had G502 Hero that failed in less than 3 months of mild usage. I only play games like Phoenix Point with it.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:13 pm

lollll
Logitech, too. Hyper-X, too.

I don't think this is a quality problem with a specific brand.

Now my question is if optical switches or optical-mechanical switches solve that problem.

Can we trust their durability claim now? WIth the normal switches, they claimed that they last for over 10-50 million clicks but I'm sure all my mice with the problems were far under that. I use game controllers more than mouse when playing PC games.
Given the higher premium on gaming mice over regular mice, you would think they'd have figured out a way to get higher-quality switches.

I'm still on my Corsair Katar Pro. It's a great mouse.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They do (generally) have the better quality switches, and that isn't just durability. The problem, though, as I said, is that a gamer clicks an incredible amount of times. Three years seems like a good run for a mouse. Now go see how many other basic mechanical devices around the house hold up after six million activations. That's like flipping your light switch a dozen times a day for 228 years.

Given that there's some degree of imperfection in any manufactured device (even if just imperfections in the materials), some mice aren't going to make it to that three year mark. Some are going to die in six months or a year. And some mice will last far longer than three years. And some mice are Razer.

When it comes down to it, it's going to be a limitation of mice until a completely different technology for registering clicks is implemented.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

about five years later, my HP Omen (rebranded Steelseries 300) is holding up just fine, no issues at all. as predicted, the rubberized coating on the left side underneath button 4 has worn down - that's the only 'problem' with it. and i downloaded the utility program and was able to disable the extremely bright LED.

just to show how good a mouse this is, i have an extra (very lightly used) one i'll give away to anyone here for the cost of shipping so they can see for themselves. keep in mind it's MS Intellimouse 3.0 sized, so it's a larger one.

https://www.shi.com/product/32610255/HP ... teelSeries