Soft-Modding an Xbox is so incredibly Easy

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Eco-Logic

Soft-Modding an Xbox is so incredibly Easy

Post by Eco-Logic »

First of all, I'm not discussing piracy. I just want to discuss how/why this is so easy.

I have a mod chip on my xbox and my friend was wanting to get one but didn't have any extra $ to spend. I looked into soft-modding and was a bit confused at first but then I realized just how easy it is.

I now can softmod an Xbox to run emulators, play DIVX (every type of video basically), homebrew apps, and backups in under 10 minutes. Probably around 5 minutes even. I simply cannot believe how easy it is.

Summary of the process to illustrate how fast it can be done.

Obtain a Splinter Cell save game exploit, put it on a memory card, load SC, launch the profile (which launches a dashboard), load EVOX from the Dashboard, connect to the Xbox with FlashXP, Change two file names in the C Directory and upload the required files to C, Upload required files to E. Reboot.

If you were to read one of the online tutorials on soft-modding, the directions run 3 - 5 pages. I can't imagine how/why people make it sound so difficult.

Anyway, just some FYI :)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Don't see any need to mod my Xbox.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

I didn't either at first. Then I saw my friends modded Xbox at the center of his entertainment center and my thoughts changed completely.

It unlocks so much more capabilities for the box, it's amazing. :)
Pointer

Post by Pointer »

Care to elaborate on the extra capabilitities that are unlocked by modding?

Pointer
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

I would direct you to this article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20040511/

Conclusion

While a top-of-the-range DVD player's performance may be good, the range of functions most models offer are limited to say the least. No solution we are aware of comes close to the capabilities of the Xbox Media Center. Fortunately, the developers offer the XBMC free of charge and a suitably modded Xbox, such as the one we tested, with remote control and A/V cable, is readily affordable.

It's also comforting to note that the developers are currently working feverishly on a conventional version of the XBMC, which would give Windows the same functionality. Here, since a single program supports playback of all media formats, it would also make sense to use an infrared remote control via IrDA or a USB receiver. The buttons of the remote control could then be programmed with simple key commands.

Meanwhile, the inevitable onslaught of future systems that will support numerous multimedia file types will still have a tough time to beat the price/performance ratio a modded Xbox offers.
And play emulators from the colecovision to the PSOne, backups of games, games off the Xbox hard drive. I put every non-Live game I own on my HD, making switching from one to the other as easy as pressing the right buttons.
Fellow

Post by Fellow »

Modding the XBox makes it pretty much a multimedia box.
hepcat

Re: Soft-Modding an Xbox is so incredibly Easy

Post by hepcat »

Eco-Logic wrote:
I now can softmod an Xbox to run emulators, play DIVX (every type of video basically), homebrew apps, and backups in under 10 minutes. Probably around 5 minutes even. I simply cannot believe how easy it is.

Obtain a Splinter Cell save game exploit, put it on a memory card, load SC, launch the profile (which launches a dashboard), load EVOX from the Dashboard, connect to the Xbox with FlashXP, Change two file names in the C Directory and upload the required files to C, Upload required files to E. Reboot.

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and call you on that one. If you can do all that in under 10 minutes, than we need to discuss the marketing for the "magic fairy speed wand" that you're using :shock:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I have a PC at the center of my entertainment center. It's more versitile than a modded Xbox.

It's a neat idea, but the only reason I got an Xbox was for hassle free, out of the box gaming. I don't want to clutter it up with cool but ultimately redundant apps. The only thing I can't do is "backup" my game discs.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

hepcat wrote:
Eco-Logic wrote:

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and call you on that one. If you can do all that in under 10 minutes, than we need to discuss the marketing for the "magic fairy speed wand" that you're using :shock:
Once the files are obtained I should have said. Since I already have the necessary files, I could absolutely do it in under 10 minutes.

Lets say I didn't have the necessary files. I could get them in 5 minutes, do the mod in 10 for a total of 15 minutes, easy.
dmd

Post by dmd »

Eco-Logic wrote: If you were to read one of the online tutorials on soft-modding, the directions run 3 - 5 pages. I can't imagine how/why people make it sound so difficult.

Can you tell me the fast and simple way to get that save game on a memory card? All the stuff I've seen involves making cables, jury rigging kind of stuff.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Eco-Logic wrote:
hepcat wrote:
Eco-Logic wrote:

Once the files are obtained I should have said. Since I already have the necessary files, I could absolutely do it in under 10 minutes.

Lets say I didn't have the necessary files. I could get them in 5 minutes, do the mod in 10 for a total of 15 minutes, easy.

don't forget the process of GETTING connected via ftp. that alone can chew up 5 minutes (at best) easy.

i'm just saying it's not THAT easy. it may be once you've done it a few times and you already have all the tools ready, the network settings correct, etc.; but for most people out there, it's probably just not worth the time.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Soft-Modding?

Is that modding without the 'money shot'?
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

dmd wrote:
Eco-Logic wrote: If you were to read one of the online tutorials on soft-modding, the directions run 3 - 5 pages. I can't imagine how/why people make it sound so difficult.

Can you tell me the fast and simple way to get that save game on a memory card? All the stuff I've seen involves making cables, jury rigging kind of stuff.
IIRC, you can use an Action Replay to transfer the files.

If you have a friend with a modded Xbox they can easily get it for you.

After those two options, the best way is to use an old controller and splice a USB plug on the end of it. It works like a charm.

Hepcat, point taken. It could take some a long time to figure out the network settings. Really though, that isn't bad. Evox displays your Xbox's IP address.
Vesper

Post by Vesper »

How does "soft modding" run the homebrew apps? I was under the impression that you needed a modified bios to run unsigned XBE files. And a modified bios requires either a mod-chip or flashing your on-board bios (which requires some wires to enable).
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

Vesper wrote:How does "soft modding" run the homebrew apps? I was under the impression that you needed a modified bios to run unsigned XBE files. And a modified bios requires either a mod-chip or flashing your on-board bios (which requires some wires to enable).
You are correct that running homebrew apps requires a modified bios. You don't have to have a mod-chip or wires though. All you have to do is have a copy of Splinter Cell, Mech Assault or 007.

I put the X2 bios on my friends Xbox and it works perfectly. He is looking for a good price on a larger hd and then we'll put it in there.

Having a mod chip still makes sense of you play on Live, since it's really a pain to "turn off" a softmod (uninstalling actually) everytime you wish to play online. He doesn't have live though so no biggie for him.
Orpheo

Post by Orpheo »

So, Eco, does the save game include some kind of dash, or does it then let you, say, boot the Slayers disc?? I've modded my XBox with a chip already, but someone else is asking about it, and it looks like soft-modding would be a good way to go.

Edit: Also, does this work on the new 1.6 Xbox? It seems strange that such an easy way to mod the system would still be around after all this time.
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

Orpheo wrote:So, Eco, does the save game include some kind of dash, or does it then let you, say, boot the Slayers disc?? I've modded my XBox with a chip already, but someone else is asking about it, and it looks like soft-modding would be a good way to go.

Edit: Also, does this work on the new 1.6 Xbox? It seems strange that such an easy way to mod the system would still be around after all this time.
The save game includes evox, which allows you to ftp to your Xbox and install whatever dash and bios you want.

I can't confirm one way or another on the 1.6. I'm pretty sure it will work just fine.

Actually, I know the game save exploit will work as I'm helping someone else with that process right now and they have successfully gained ftp access to their Xbox (which is the main step). Now I just have to find the exact files they need for the 1.6, as the files I used with my friend won't work.
Vesper

Post by Vesper »

Eco-Logic wrote:I can't confirm one way or another on the 1.6. I'm pretty sure it will work just fine.
I'd be surprised if this worked on a 1.6. 1.6 Xboxes don't have a flashable TSOP.
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

Vesper wrote:
Eco-Logic wrote:I can't confirm one way or another on the 1.6. I'm pretty sure it will work just fine.
I'd be surprised if this worked on a 1.6. 1.6 Xboxes don't have a flashable TSOP.

It works. :)
Beer Goggles

Post by Beer Goggles »

I spend the money to have my Xbox modded with a chip. Seemed to be the more permanent solution I was looking for my console.
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

I thought modded Xboxs were locked out of Live. Is that not true?
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
Vesper

Post by Vesper »

Eco-Logic wrote:It works. :)
Aha! I thought from earlier in the thread that this method allowed flashing without the hardware work. I see now it's just soft-loading the hacked BIOS, whereas "true" modding is permanently replacing the hardware BIOS. (This also explains my confusion earlier in the thread.)
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

Beer Goggles wrote:I spend the money to have my Xbox modded with a chip. Seemed to be the more permanent solution I was looking for my console.
I did the same and am happy I did. I love the external switch for turning it on and off to go on Live.

My friend doesn't have Live or Broadband so soft-modding made sense to him. Soft-modding is permanent as well though.

The Mad Hatter, as I said with a chip it's possible to turn the mod on and off allowing you to play on Live.
AttAdude

Post by AttAdude »

Eco, i would be very interested in an indepth explanation and or links on how to do this. My DVD player recently bit the dust and id love to just use my Xbox and the center of my Entertainment system.

*a few mins later*

Never mind i the guide you posted helped a great deal. Now i just need to know where to get the files from. This is gonna be fun lol.
AttAdude
When confronted with offensive TV, the fundamental differences between the Conservative and liberal factions becomes blatantly obvious. Conservatives will piss and moan, then file a complaint with the FCC in an attempt to make sure the offending show is never seen by anyone. Liberals... well we just change the damn channel.
Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones »

Eco, I just wanted to say I appreciate all the help you gave me the other day (and night). You went the extra mile. We didn't quite "get there" with the soft mod, but now I'm kind of glad we didn't. I've decided I'd rather preserve my Live account, and go with a chip instead.
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

Jeff Jones wrote:Eco, I just wanted to say I appreciate all the help you gave me the other day (and night). You went the extra mile. We didn't quite "get there" with the soft mod, but now I'm kind of glad we didn't. I've decided I'd rather preserve my Live account, and go with a chip instead.
No problem Jeff! :) I don't have experience doing the mod on 1.6 boxes. I think you're decision is wise though, as I couldn't be more happy with my chip.

Are you going to have it professionally done? I certainly would if I were you. Having an external switch makes all the difference in the world.

AttAdude, don't hesitate to ask if you get stuck anywhere. I would suggest you visit the threads on xbox scene regarding the newer methods (UXE is the name). They're universally accepted as the best method to soft-mod now.
Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones »

Actually, i'll probably go with a solderless do-it-yourself solution. Orpheo tells me that it's not that hard, and very low-risk (he's done it). I'm still weighing my options though.

edit: bzzzt. just found out 1.6 boxes must be soldered. so it looks like a 'send-in' for me :)
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Careful with softmodding, if your xbox got error 13 due to user mistake then it is hard to recover from it without installing a mod chip.
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

Victoria Raverna wrote:Careful with softmodding, if your xbox got error 13 due to user mistake then it is hard to recover from it without installing a mod chip.
Is that the clock loop?

As long as you can ftp to your Xbox, which the save hack allows you to do, I can't imagine not being able to recover from it.

I guess if you ftp the wrong stuff to the xbox, then you could potentially kill your ability to ftp to it then I see exactly what you mean.

The only other option for fixing it other than getting a mod chip would be to rebuild the HD using xboxhd (whatever it's called).
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

also, you have to be careful that Microsoft doesn't have some sort of invasive diagnostics that checks out the hardware on your XBOX, and that will pull the plug on your Live connectability if .... DOHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

hitbyambulance wrote:also, you have to be careful that Microsoft doesn't have some sort of invasive diagnostics that checks out the hardware on your XBOX, and that will pull the plug on your Live connectability if .... DOHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
LOL, a soft-modded Xbox can't go on Live anyway, which is what this thread was talking about :)
Repentant

Post by Repentant »

I spent a fair amount of time trying to softmod a 1.6 using audio/font exploits, which were the "first" discovery for softmodding. Turns out that M$ had updated things so that these exploits no longer work (on a recent 1.6).

I had left my xbox in an unfinished state one night. Hey, I could use the savegame hack to get back to evox, right? No problem.

The unit was unplugged all night.

M$ made a design decision to run the system clock off of capacitance instead of a battery. This means that if you leave the xbox unplugged after a few hours, the very first thing that the xbox does (even before reading disks to run exploits from) is try to get the user to set the date. If the requisite files aren't there, you've blown your chance at softmodding, or anything else unless you install some hardware.

My second attempt on a new unit was the UDE2 approach, which was a lot more successful. Softmodded a 1.6 in 30 minutes, most of that time reading text and being really careful. Just used it this morning to watch me some Battlestar Galactica.

I'm not much of an online player, so IMHO softmodding the xbox and subsequent installation of XBMC is an easy, easy win over using Live!
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

Repentant wrote:I spent a fair amount of time trying to softmod a 1.6 using audio/font exploits, which were the "first" discovery for softmodding. Turns out that M$ had updated things so that these exploits no longer work (on a recent 1.6).

I had left my xbox in an unfinished state one night. Hey, I could use the savegame hack to get back to evox, right? No problem.

The unit was unplugged all night.

M$ made a design decision to run the system clock off of capacitance instead of a battery. This means that if you leave the xbox unplugged after a few hours, the very first thing that the xbox does (even before reading disks to run exploits from) is try to get the user to set the date. If the requisite files aren't there, you've blown your chance at softmodding, or anything else unless you install some hardware.

My second attempt on a new unit was the UDE2 approach, which was a lot more successful. Softmodded a 1.6 in 30 minutes, most of that time reading text and being really careful. Just used it this morning to watch me some Battlestar Galactica.

I'm not much of an online player, so IMHO softmodding the xbox and subsequent installation of XBMC is an easy, easy win over using Live!
I agree.

My chipped Xbox with a 160 gig hard drive, which is now banned from Live, still has so many capabilities that it's completely worth it even though I can't use live with it.