Far Cry 6

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Far Cry 6

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:06 pm There wasn't enough difference in the maps between north and south in Far Cry 2.
Hmm... I might agree that there were some similarities, but I think there were some significant differences like the lake:
Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

While I missed most of the Ubisoft E3 presentation, one thing that I did catch is that there will be DLC where you play as the main villains from FC 3/4/5. I are intrigued...
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Awwwwww a little handicapped dog! SOLD!
I
I like his 'real' tops.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
naednek

Post by naednek »

anyone know why you can't preorder the PC version on Amazon?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

From what I can see on the Ubisoft Store site, the only option for a physical version on PC is the Collector's Edition, and that's flagged as an Ubisoft Store exclusive. I'd surmise that the reason you can't order a PC copy on Amazon is that no such product actually exists.

Enlarge Image

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:30 pm From what I can see on the Ubisoft Store site, the only option for a physical version on PC is the Collector's Edition, and that's flagged as an Ubisoft Store exclusive. I'd surmise that the reason you can't order a PC copy on Amazon is that no such product actually exists.

Enlarge Image
I think my wife might have serious doubts about my maturity if I order that Collector's Edition :wink:

After reading some gameplay articles, I'm having concerns that Ubisoft might adulterate this Far Cry in a similar manner that they have gone away from the essence of Assassin's Creed gameplay in Valhalla.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
naednek

Post by naednek »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:30 pm From what I can see on the Ubisoft Store site, the only option for a physical version on PC is the Collector's Edition, and that's flagged as an Ubisoft Store exclusive. I'd surmise that the reason you can't order a PC copy on Amazon is that no such product actually exists.

Enlarge Image
Thank you, and that's incredibly stupid.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Pre-load and release times:

Enlarge Image

Unfortunately I'll be on the start of a two week trip to Oklahoma, so other folks will have to post impressions :wink:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Thanks for the heads up.

Enlarge Image

malchior

Post by malchior »

naednek wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:03 pm

Enlarge Image
Thank you, and that's incredibly stupid.
It likely makes a ton of sense from the business side. They have chosen not to manage a widescale physical product launch. It probably saved them quite a bit.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I'm preinstalling now on the PS5, the download says it's less than 40gigs. I really hope there isn't a huge day 1 patch as my internet speed sucks.
FTE
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Scraper wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:54 am I'm preinstalling now on the PS5, the download says it's less than 40gigs. I really hope there isn't a huge day 1 patch as my internet speed sucks.
There is indeed supposed to be a day one patch, but size has not been revealed to my knowledge.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:16 am
Scraper wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:54 am I'm preinstalling now on the PS5, the download says it's less than 40gigs. I really hope there isn't a huge day 1 patch as my internet speed sucks.
There is indeed supposed to be a day one patch, but size has not been revealed to my knowledge.
As long as it's not one of those day one patches that are larger than the actual game files then I should be good. I'm looking at you Cyberpunk!
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Scraper wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:56 am
As long as it's not one of those day one patches that are larger than the actual game files then I should be good. I'm looking at you Cyberpunk!
Well wishful thinking, because the day 1 patch is downloading now and it's literally 37 gigs. Almost the same size as the initial install. With my internet speed it might be done by tomorrow morning.
FTE
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Scraper wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:24 am
Well wishful thinking, because the day 1 patch is downloading now and it's literally 37 gigs. Almost the same size as the initial install. With my internet speed it might be done by tomorrow morning.
That sounds like Sony is pushing out the entire updated preload instead of patching it. I just checked the preload on Ubisoft Connect, and it simply downloaded a small amount of data. It took about 10 seconds for the additional download, so the actual patch itself isn't that big.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Might as well just sign up for their pass for a month as this isn't a game I'm going to dump months on. I watched a few videos and the console versions seem better optimized than the PC version.. That probably would get sorted out via patches so I may just wait a bit. So many other things to play it's overwelming. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:58 am
Scraper wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:24 am
That sounds like Sony is pushing out the entire updated preload instead of patching it. I just checked the preload on Ubisoft Connect, and it simply downloaded a small amount of data. It took about 10 seconds for the additional download, so the actual patch itself isn't that big.
I saw the same behavior from the Ubisoft Connect client.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Octavious wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:34 pm Might as well just sign up for their pass for a month as this isn't a game I'm going to dump months on. I watched a few videos and the console versions seem better optimized than the PC version.. That probably would get sorted out via patches so I may just wait a bit. So many other things to play it's overwelming. :lol:
Which pass has it? The premium Uplay? I mean Connect?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I think whatever is the 15 a month plan has it. I'm going to check when I get home. Edit or now...

Ubisoft + 14.99... As I've bought way too much lately I'd rather just drop the 15.

https://store.ubi.com/us/ubisoftplus/?lang=en_US
Last edited by Octavious on Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah they aren't trying to confuse us like EA Origin Play, ubisoft only has one plan and it includes everything.

...and as someone that burns through games like it's a race, this is a solid suggestion. I did it for the last few big Ubi releases.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya well if you think about it 60 bucks would be 4 months of having access to everything they have. I'm a sucker for subscriptions. :wub:

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Cough... New Zealand...Cough... VPN... :ninja:

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Apparently that will only work if you bought it via epic. Whatever

malchior

Post by malchior »

I got about an hour in and some of the missions and it's definitely a Far Cry game. It's starting to look like they copied from Just Cause's quiz answers. Not in a bad way mind you but it's somewhere in there.

Now the bad news. The game has some serious frame rate issues. I'm running an i10-10900 / 3080 / dedicated NVMe / 64 GB. I can not run it with any single setting set to Ultra. If I do, the CPU pegs and the GPU drops to 50-90% and frame rates go all slide show. Holy bad porting Batman. It'll get fixed I assume but I'm playing it at High and it still is all over the place frame rate wise. I see it bopping around from low 100s due to the 20s. It looks good but it feels like it needs to be CPU optimized.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I've done a ton of games for the $15 sub. I know I'll burn through it and burn out on it and never play again, so it makes the most sense for me.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya I played for a bit and performance was all over the place. Funny thing is that apparently on the series s it's super smooth. It will get patched so whatever.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

malchior wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:06 am I got about an hour in and some of the missions and it's definitely a Far Cry game. It's starting to look like they copied from Just Cause's quiz answers. Not in a bad way mind you but it's somewhere in there.
This amuses me because I just told some friends that it feels like a Just Cause game. I think part of it is the setting, but also the Supremo is a very Rico kind of weapon.

I played through a few early missions this morning and it's not really grabbing me. It just feels kind of... meh.

I left the settings on the default which was High across the board and I haven't noticed and frame rate drops, but apparently I am immune to noticing that for the most part.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am not sure I am buying this one. I watched a playthrough, so I'm not going to give any spoilers. The playthrough also did not cover any optional activity like hunting animals, driving challenges, and so on. I was wondering if the player was using a cheat since the player just shoots at everything and takes a TON of damage, no trigger discipline at all, and seems to never use the turrets.

It feels like a Far Cry game, where you are free to approach the mission anyway you like from quiet stealth to overwhelming firepower, and the mod system doesn't look too bad, but the Supremo seems a bit over the top, esp. with the other variants to fit your play style. And auto-retract parachute like Rico's? Hmmm... I dunno. I do like the way you can change your outfit in an RPG-like system though, and the same with the weapon mods.

I can see the comparison to Just Cause, but here, the point is NOT destruction just for destruction's sake. But both did share similar meta-game mechanics, of destroying the infrastructure to destabilize the regime. The differences are pretty subtle, but JC is more about... chaos, and FC6 you feel more like an avenging angel on a purge streak.

The mood is also MUCH much darker. No spoilers, so no more details.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
malchior

Post by malchior »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:08 amI left the settings on the default which was High across the board and I haven't noticed and frame rate drops, but apparently I am immune to noticing that for the most part.
I notice they don't specifically call out High vs. Ultra. I played it originally in high and I didn't notice problems. I only experimented with a switch to Ultra to see if I could get the 30 FPS and it went slide show. I meet or exceed the requirements below. I then just sort of kept an eye on the FPS in high just to gauge it. It is fine in high - looks great - but it does seem they could squeeze much more out of my hardware.
Recommended 4K configuration (30fps, ray tracing on)
OS - Windows 10 (64-bit)
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5900X / Intel Core i7-10700K
RAM - 16 GB (dual-channel mode)
GPU - AMD RX 6800 / Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080
DirectX - DirectX 12
Storage - 60 GB available
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I think your video card is broken. I'll be by this weekend to take it off your hands. Don't worry it's not a problem I don't mind.

Jag

Post by Jag »

I heard skills are now tied to gear rather than skill points? I'm not sure how that works. Wouldn't mind some feedback on it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jag wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:34 pm I heard skills are now tied to gear rather than skill points? I'm not sure how that works. Wouldn't mind some feedback on it.
If I understood it I would explain it to you. Their explanation screens suck. There are gloves that make your flameproof and a mask that makes you poison-proof and a shirt that lets you pick up materials when you drive near them and a bracelet that increases your armor when sprinting. They have different tiers and there are checkboxes that indicate some kind of set bonuses maybe but no info on that. You can also buy gear and weapons with mponey you get from scrounging and killing.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You guys playing male or female? Im guessing theres no diff?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just the voice actor. It's first person too so you don't even see yourself except in cut scenes so it doesn't really matter. There is co-op so I guess maybe for that.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Meh maybe I'm just not in the mood but I wasn't feeling it playing today. Glad I did the pass instead of buying it. Runs fine if you use the dynamic resolution, but eh it's like a copy and paste of the previous games.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I thought maybe next month I could afford 1 month. Cant afford a game but that may be doable. I could play Fenyx, Valhalla, and FC6.

Then my friend online reminded me my computer couldn't run any of those lol.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

FarCry 2 was my last one. I haven't touched one since. It's interesting that some wouldn't even add 1 & 2 to a list because the game didn't "grow" to a specific point before #3. I've avoided them because I thought they stopped being clean shooters and started being more like jungle GTA. I know that's a gross over-simplification. It's just the shortest way to explain my perception.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Shame it's getting such meh reviews especially with Giancarlo Esposito. He's the best. I'll probably rent it when I can.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I can see why. The first hour I saw was 99.999 assets from previous games. It's freaking lazy at this point.