Far Cry 6

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: Far Cry 6

Post by coopasonic »

I got to the part where they tell you kind of what you'll have to do from a progression perspective and... it's basically freaking Ghost Recon: Wildlands, like so close as to be hard to call a coincidence. Wildlands in a Just Cause setting with bullet sponge enemies. As a bonus, it doesn't really feel well suited to stealthy play either which is how I've always played Far Cry.

Glad I only spent $15.

Bonus, there is co-op in the campaign and it gives you a different currency for doing co-op things. I got 20 co-op bucks playing an hour with my son the morning. It costs, 600 to use the co-op bucks to buy the cheapest gun or 450 to get the crafting materials for a good weapon mod. I really hope the co-op bucks are low because we were in the first couple missions.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Paingod wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:17 am FarCry 2 was my last one. I haven't touched one since. It's interesting that some wouldn't even add 1 & 2 to a list because the game didn't "grow" to a specific point before #3.
I wouldn't quite put it that way. Far Cry was a pure, open-level shooter. Far Cry 2 tried an open world experiment, and it had a lot of issues. Far Cry 3 took the Far Cry 2 idea and polished it into a really good game. All of the games since have built off of the Far Cry 3 'formula'. It isn't that 1 and 2 weren't good enough, or were inferior, just that they were a different type of game. When people talk about games that use the Far Cry formula, the Far Cry gameplay, they're talking about the games from 3 on.

But yeah, it's an open world exploration and collection game mixed with a shooter. GTA wouldn't be the best comparison - the Assassin's Creed series and games like The Witcher are closer (and it was Assassin's Creed that really laid the ground work for the gameplay.) "Clean" shooters that are just pure shooter are few and far between anymore, except for a few from smaller developers. Open world and/or multiplayer are where the market is.

Personally, I think the core Far Cry gameplay is overdue for a reboot. It's a great formula, but after 3, Blood Dragon, 4, Primal, 5, and New Dawn... it needs something new.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coop,

Is the co-op true co-op? i.e. can you run through the entire campaign co-op? When I finish up Ghost Recon: Breakpoint with my friend, we'll be looking for something else. Actually, if anyone can answer the same question regarding FC5, that would also be helpful.

I just know in the past there were games that bragged about their co-op, but then the co-op would be standalone scenarios or some such BS.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

TheMix wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:59 pm coop,

Is the co-op true co-op? i.e. can you run through the entire campaign co-op?
After you do the initial missions (about two hours in), it opens up co-op and I haven't found any restrictions. It's the same missions I was doing in my own campaign. I wouldn't get the same view in cutscenes that the host player got and I am not sure what progression the joining player really gets. I definitely brought new gear I got in the host game back to my game. They pop up a screen that tells what persists for the joining player, but it went away too quickly for me to comprehend everything.

There is also a place in the base camp where you can take instanced co-op specific missions with matchmaking, but I haven't tried that (and likely won't).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

4 was 'special missions' for cooperative. I believe 5 had full two-player coop. I don't know about 6.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:48 pm 4 was 'special missions' for cooperative. I believe 5 had full two-player coop. I don't know about 6.
Thanks. FC5 is going to be a bit of a struggle. I didn't really enjoy it. But... there aren't a ton of co-op games that my friend will play (he has no interest in The Division and bailed on Destiny 2 right away). I might have to bite the bullet if we run out of other options. Good to know it's an option.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Well, the playthrough I watched was definitely NOT stealthy, but that's mainly his playstyle, I guess. I think you can go stealthy where you basically depopulate the camp as you destroy all the alarms. But the locations now are pretty darn big, and it may be difficult to survey from the outside like you can from FC3 or FC4.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I'm a huge FarCry fan, I've beaten every game in the series, with 4 and 5 being my favorites. I'm about 10 hours or so into part 6 and it seems like its a giant step backwards for me.

First of all there are major balancing issues, you can hardly do anything in the game without some random bad guy wondering into your area and screwing everything up. Then for some reason they removed the skill trees and skill progression and instead tied your abilities to gear. Which means you now have to constantly switch gear if you want a certain ability/bonus. It's a horrible system. And for some reason I have a real hard time actually seeing the bad guys and then telling them apart from allies.

Second of all, so far there is no Hurk and no Clutch Nixon challenges. Which ia BS.
Last edited by Scraper on Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
FTE
malchior

Post by malchior »

I've been playing this off and on and having similar thoughts about the gear system. I think they took a chance on changing up the mechanic and it didn't work out. Maybe a combo of the two would have been better. In any case, I'm definitely very meh on the game. The setting is not all that exciting so far and it may suffer from the big sin of games...it is boring so far.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I kept playing through the weekend and I am a bit more positive on it now. I will say there is an outside amount of stuff to do if you are ok with repetition. I got to rank 15 while there was nothing on the island higher than rank 9. I finally starting pushing on the main quest lines and the enemy forces have leveled up a few times but I can still 1 shot pretty much any enemy, which feels better. I know I complained about bullet sponge enemies but that was with the first gun they gave you and before I knew to equip armor piercing rounds for headshots (for helmets anyway).

On the co-op piece it is pretty easy drop in drop out. There is leashing and when you go beyond leash range one player is teleported to the other and I am not 100% sure how it decides as it isn't just to the host. The only real downside to the co-op for me is that quest completion/progress doesn't carry over from a co-op session back to your single player session if you are not the host. Since my son is always the host, I get to do all of the quests twice. I don't know if other stuff like road blocks takeovers carry over as I am way ahead of him on that.

I'm having a lot more fun with it now that I am kitted for end game. We'll see how long that lasts.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

malchior wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:42 am I've been playing this off and on and having similar thoughts about the gear system. I think they took a chance on changing up the mechanic and it didn't work out. Maybe a combo of the two would have been better. In any case, I'm definitely very meh on the game. The setting is not all that exciting so far and it may suffer from the big sin of games...it is boring so far.
The gear system really blows. They took almost every ability that used to be unlocked through a skill tree and tied it to gear that you either have to randomly find or buy at a store once you unlock that store. Then if you want to actually use that ability you have to pause the game and search through your equipment in order to find the damn gloves and equip them so you can booby trap a security alarm. Oh and if you want to booby trap alarms and have defensive armor perks from gloves at the same time then fuck you! It's really dumb.

Other than that I am enjoying the game. BUT they really need to upgrade the engine. I'm playing on the PS5 and the game does not look next gen at all.
FTE
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

What the hell is this nonsense:
Notably, Far Cry 6 doesn’t allow for a manual save, a divergence from the prior mainline entry, 2018’s Far Cry 5. This has screwed some players, creating a save file in the blink-and-you’ll-miss-it moment before a death.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I stopped playing after about an hour. Looks like I may have made the right choice. I will certainly go back to it at some point, but that's like not a thing that should ever happen. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

30-ish hours played, 2031 kills, 1674 headshot kills, 0 fish caught

Finished. It's 100% what you'd expect from an Ubisoft open world game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:12 pm 30-ish hours played, 2031 kills, 1674 headshot kills, 0 fish caught

Finished. It's 100% what you'd expect from an Ubisoft open world game.
You couldn't take the time to catch one stinking fish? :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I might have to accept that I just don't love their games as much as I want to. I have fun for a bit and then burn out on the repition with every single one. It's me not them.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

Octavious wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:14 pm I might have to accept that I just don't love their games as much as I want to. I have fun for a bit and then burn out on the repition with every single one. It's me not them
It's both. A lot of folks and the reviews are calling out Ubisoft for churning out the same games over and over. Still I think this is better than 5 but the change they tried to make -- the gear system -- is a bit of a misstep. The game is pretty uninspired overall and that's their biggest problem. They need new ideas.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

malchior wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:50 pm
Octavious wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:14 pm I might have to accept that I just don't love their games as much as I want to. I have fun for a bit and then burn out on the repition with every single one. It's me not them
It's both. A lot of folks and the reviews are calling out Ubisoft for churning out the same games over and over. Still I think this is better than 5 but the change they tried to make -- the gear system -- is a bit of a misstep. The game is pretty uninspired overall and that's their biggest problem. They need new ideas.
I'm still a week away from being home and giving FC6 a try, but this talk about the gear level reminds me of how Ghost Recon Breakpoint tinkered with the GR Wildlands formula by introducing Gear Levels as part of the gameplay. It took Ubisoft several months, but they did fix the game by allowing the Gear Levels to be optional with the Ghost Experience Update. Sounds like back in FC6 development someone decided to add the gear system as a way to do something different. As you mention, if they didn't make significant gameplay changes then Ubisoft would be accused of just pumping out the same game but with a different setting. Damned if you do, but also damned if you decided to change the formula and don't do it right.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The storyline is edgier. Let's just say bad things happen to the main character more than once. I kinda miss being forced to make a choice between two factions though like FC4. Feels like there's only ONE way to go.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Back from my Oklahoma road trip and so I'm now playing FC6. I had a little bit of stutter (I think that's what it's called) but I realized I was capping the frame rate at 60 on a monitor that will do 75. I fixed that and stepped the graphics from High to Ultra (RTX 3080) and everything looks pretty. I've had one crash already, not the kind of thing I enjoy :?

Started again. Went through the opening big event, very dramatic. Now I'm on the next island, finished the first mission, now on the second mission where I go cross-country to find something :D. Things are very weird. I watched a tractor run down and kill a horse, and then someone riding a motorcycle with sidecar beach it on a big rock :shock:. Then I start wandering through the area, randomly killing enemy soldiers. I'm on the Action Mode difficulty, which is the harder of the two, but it just seems like when I kill a soldier sometimes another shows up, sometimes not, but in any case I just kill the next one. I'm blasting away and it doesn't draw any attention :doh:. I know this is just the first island and is more of a training ground, but it's weird. Also I walked up to a soldier who didn't seem concerned that I had two long rifles, as long as I kept them "holstered" :roll:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:28 pm Things are very weird.
Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've played just under four hours and I'm enjoying it. One of the aspects I like is that stealth really helps. I sent my pet alligator away on one mission so I could stalk all through a target location and stealth kill all the enemy. I did have another mission where I was going to do the same thing but the rebel NPC accompanying me went all Leroy Jenkins and alerted the whole damn base :?

I've had one lockup but it seems that I just have to alt-tab out of the game and then back in and it gets cleared. I did have a massive lockup with a weird blue screen that looked somewhat like a BSOD and I had to reboot for that.

I really do like my open world games. I'm just wandering around the first island picking stuff up and seeing the sights.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

There is a much stealthier pet available but you gotta work for it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Any way I missed to advance time? I'd like to do certain things at certain times of day.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

no
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Also, I've come across something I can't figure out, or maybe I'm missing something. I'm at level 2 on the starter island, but the next campaign operation calls for level 4, and I've completed all the other operations I can find. I took a screenshot of the screen that identified what I needed to get to increase my XP, but I'm rather stuck now. I've taken out the billboards I can find, but I'm not sure what else will get me XP. It's not kills or destroying enemy vehicles, I've tried that.

Image click to enlarge
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Don't sweat the level. It doesn't mean much, particularly at the lower levels.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

XP seems to come from doing things like capturing bases and checkpoints, or doing other activities in the journal. The journal entry will include the amount of XP you get, if any, for completing the activity. When all else fails, just keep advancing the story line by doing operations.

I've found that if I'm stealthy and pick off higher level soldiers with headshots, I can take them down, but if I get into a firefight with them they hit hard. Luckily, I enjoy being a sneaky bastard.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

It continues weird. One moment I'm chasing a mongoose through a village with my companion a white wildcat of some sort. Ten minutes later I'm being attacked by sharks as I dive to pick up what turns out to be a little charm to hang off the receiver of one of the my guns :roll:. Still, I'm still enjoying it because I've just decided to not take things too seriously.

Also, I've reached the point where my Uplay+ benefits kicked it, since I'm playing the Ultimate Edition. More guns, more crap :wink: and bunches of resources.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:59 pm Still, I'm still enjoying it because I've just decided to not take things too seriously.
Far Cry is about as serious as an 80s action film. And I don't mean that in a bad way.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The only thing really irritating me is that I'm getting a CTD once an hour or so.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Also puzzle chests. I solved the first one I came to in a couple of minutes, the next one I found I'm clueless on where to find the pig and the fox.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm about eleven hours in and the game is really growing on me, except the approximately once an hour CTD :?. I'm an open world fan and just like in Ghost Recon Breakpoint, I'm playing it mostly on foot. The addition of the guerrilla footpaths is a nice touch, I'm trying to remove the fog of war from the map by traveling every blue path, plus visiting all the out of the way places like seacoasts. I've got way too many weapons to figure out the best way to use them all, so I'm just focusing on mentally having two or three sets; I wish I could create a loadout set.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Still getting the once an hour or so CTD, but otherwise I'm having a lot of fun. I attacked a location and died three times and was about to roll back the difficulty for the fourth try, but decided to go at it once again in Action Mode. Turns out the helicopter that was killing me destroyed the last target at the location, so when I reloaded the place was empty :D. I'll take it.

I'm just imagining what an early design conference for FC6 must have been like. I imagine the boss asking for ideas of what features are to be included in the game. There are the usual suggestions for a Far Cry game, and then someone says "Hey, what about cock fighting?" The room goes suddenly silent. The Human Resources rep stirs in his seat, rises up and is about to speak when someone taps him on the shoulder and points to their phone and a Google entry. The HR rep reads it, thinks a moment then shrugs and sits back down. The room remains silent for a few moments more, then the boss says "Sure, why not?" Pandemonium ensues.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

New update released today, supposedly for bug fixes. On reddit a number of users have reported crashes. Some say that verifying files fixed the issues for them. Doing that now.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I finished the main story yesterday. While I did enjoy the game and it did grow on me from my initial impressions, I would still rate this one well below prior entries in the series. It will be the first Far Cry game since part 2 that I don't get the Platinum Trophy on as I have no real desire to keep playing the game at this point. Collecting all of the USB sticks seems especially tedious as they don't appear on the map.
FTE
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You guys get an email from El Presidente yet?

https://www.ign.com/articles/far-cry-6- ... om-ubisoft
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Scraper wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:37 am I finished the main story yesterday. While I did enjoy the game and it did grow on me from my initial impressions, I would still rate this one well below prior entries in the series. It will be the first Far Cry game since part 2 that I don't get the Platinum Trophy on as I have no real desire to keep playing the game at this point. Collecting all of the USB sticks seems especially tedious as they don't appear on the map.
That's unfortunate to hear, but I am seeing many online report the same. I really enjoyed #4 (the Buzzer is still my favorite vehicle in any game) and while #5 was solid, I don't think it was as good as #4. I'll definitely still get it eventually, but I think based on what I'm reading/hearing, it slipped down the priority scale.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've got 17 hours in, 26% of the story done, but I've lost interest, at least for now. I could just burn through the story missions but I want to really enjoy the taking of checkpoints and other enemy stronghold and I feel like it's just not the fun I want. Maybe sometime later.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And I'm back to playing :wink:. Need some help, question in the spoiler tags but it's an early mission:
Spoiler:
OK, I've taken the oil platform, now I see that there is Yaran Contraband and some other stuff in a container whose open doors are block by another, smaller container. That second container is connect to a crane. So I'm guessing I'm supposed to lift that smaller container to get at the goodies, but I've run up and down the crane and can't seem to find something that looks like controls. Is there some help anyone can give? Thanks!
Never mind, stumbled across the right button :roll: